• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF - Twice the price, a year late, filtered and seized by customs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
APerfectCircle said:
expensive month coming up. LBP, resistance 2 and i really want world tour aswell.
jut a quick question, does anyone know a cheap place in melb city to get a copy of gears of war? i only recently got my xbox (arcade at 250$, was cheap i thought :)). ive been tryin to catch up on games i've missed.. i've only seen gears 1 pre owned special editions for around 69$ in EB. surely u can pick this up cheaper? it was massive right? Couple of my recent purchases: blue dragon pre owned for 35$ at jb. eternal sonata new for 30$ at eb chapel st (i thought this was awsome! and viva pinata avail at all jbs for 12 bucks pre owned. worth a pick up. anyway, my tag is RATAB i think, basically only play HALO online at the moment. Would love to compare scored with Geometry wars 2 retro though as all my friends list dont play it.
*edit* is there a cheaper way to get xbox points? i like the arcade games just a bit pricey!

JB Hifi have Gears 2 for $74 and Gears 1 for like $40

Kritz

Banned
SteamID: Kritz7
GamerTag: Kritz117
Wii Friend Code: ???? ???? ???? ???? (I can't remember those fucking gosh darn digits)

Also, I went down after work to some stores to check out if they had Rockband. Which they did. They had a "demo" kit up (the full game), but using the Guitar Hero 3 guitar. I played some Orange Crush on it and realised I fucking suck at Rock Band. Finger positions were right, I just couldn't get the timing down. Whereas the guy right after me played --

hold on my house is on fire brb

-- whereas the guy right after me played Here It Goes Again on expert and got ~98%.

But, like all things to be expected in my life, on the day I expected to end the year+ wait for a colour matching plastic peripheral music game, is the day my employer forgets to pay me.

Probably won't get out again tonight. Sigh.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
House on fire wtf? And don't worry I suck at GH/RB and only play on medium :p

I'm thinking I might relent and get Rock Band + Guitar this weekend and then have my second guitar from my drum kit.... thoughts?

Johnkers

VOOK said:

I'm thinking I might relent and get Rock Band + Guitar this weekend and then have my second guitar from my drum kit.... thoughts?

I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Rock Band + Rock Band guitar (is that a SKU or two seperate?) and then a second guitar from your drum kit?

I don't understand :(

The_Dude

Bildi said:
For what it's worth, I use their $9.00 shipping and have found it usually comes within about 10 to 14 days. I've had one take nearly three weeks too.

I don't have a problem with that though as it's pretty standard for airmail, and I only use cduniverse in certain situations.
Yeah, 10 to 14 days for $9 is good and I'd be happy with that, but I paid the $13 shipping and was really beginning to think my package had gone missing in the post! It's just the $18 option was shipped FedEx with a tracking number and almost always arrived the Monday after it was sent - sometimes just 3 working days. Now it's $31 base rate for pretty much the same service. CD Universe is just really handy for me, since I often buy CDs and games at the same time. The only other option for that is Amazon, but there seems to be many games they wont ship to Australia. Oh, well!

favouriteflavour said:
I believe Dick Smith is doing all versions of Gears 2 for $79.
Dick Smith will apparently not honour that price, since it was a printing mistake.

Kritz

Banned
VOOK said:

It was only a small fire and luckily I only posted on the neogafs that there WAS a fire, not what to do in the situation I was having. But, lesson learned: The NeoGAFs is not a good way to leave cooking food unattended.

And, I'm somewhat decent at Guitar Hero, in that I can kind of play the first 3/4 of 2 and 3 on Hard before getting stuck and simply replaying the songs I like over and over.

Unrelated thought: I've always thought it'd be cool (in a really not kind of way) to play music in public, using Guitar Hero or Rock Band. Not for money, of course, just as a dumb kind of irony.

VOOK

Johnkers said:
I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Rock Band + Rock Band guitar (is that a SKU or two seperate?) and then a second guitar from your drum kit?

I don't understand :(

Well so this week pick up Rock Band plus a Strato (however it comes), then next week get the Complete Guitar Hero Band set so then I have another Guitar...

I think :/

legend166

My plan is to buy the complete Guitar Hero kit (already preordered from Target), then import the RB2 disc. Then I'll buy RB1 disc from EB, import the songs, and take it back.

Bernbaum

So I have the Dick Smiths catalogue sitting here that has the $79 Gears 2 Collectors Edition misprint. Now, DSE have said that this is a typo, and they will not be acknowledging the price. I am going to try my best to get a price match at my local EB (the GAME in my area are way too cluey). I reckon my best chance is tomorrow morning at 9 am, before they cotton on. Anyone else going to try for this also?

Johnkers

VOOK said:
Well so this week pick up Rock Band plus a Strato (however it comes), then next week get the Complete Guitar Hero Band set so then I have another Guitar...

I think :/

Ah fair enough, I thought it was only the instrument only bundle and then separate SKUs from there on unless the retailer had their own one.

I don't know about the old strats, are we even getting wireless ones? If you don't already have a guitar from the previous game then that sounds good, nobody needs 3 or more guitars!

VOOK

I only have a Wii Guitar Hero 3 one and a PS2 Guitar, both of which are on sale if anyone wants :p

TwiztidElf

Long time GAF lurker and Games-Ranchee signing in.

XBL: Twiztid Elf
WAR: Twizo (Ironclaw Order)

R18+ NOW. Call to arms.

Rlan

Bernbaum said:
So I have the Dick Smiths catalogue sitting here that has the $79 Gears 2 Collectors Edition misprint. Now, DSE have said that this is a typo, and they will not be acknowledging the price. I am going to try my best to get a price match at my local EB (the GAME in my area are way too cluey). I reckon my best chance is tomorrow morning at 9 am, before they cotton on. Anyone else going to try for this also?

Me definitely :)

senahorse

Bernbaum said:

Since I have about 50 360 games lying around, I am going to trade in 3 junk games at JB for the collectors edition, while I am there I am going to do the same for LBP :D

tyagi

PSN: Harman_Smith

Also looking for an ANZ clan for Metal Gear Online, SOCOM: Confrontation if there's any going?

Mar

x3n05 said:
Good work Vook, have been considering doing this for a while but have been too lazy. :D

m_fd02db3f301408876cfd2a5a229dec3c.jpg

Gears is out tomorrow? Hmmm. I guess I'll prepare for no online partners in other games for a while. I'm not buying the game myself. Didn't like the first one.

senahorse

Mar_ said:
Gears is out tomorrow? Hmmm. I guess I'll prepare for no online partners in other games for a while. I'm not buying the game myself. Didn't like the first one.

mostly I am just getting it for the campaign, mostly :D

The majority of my online play will be spent with L4D and LBP.

Gazunta

Wait wait wait, there IS a Rock Band+Guitar bundle available in Australia? Not the full band and NOT the game and guitar sold separately?

I am going absolutely apespit trying to figure out what's available at what price any more. The release of both games has been such a mess.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
Mar_ said:

I'm not rushing to get it, so at least I'll be playing other things. That said, my 360 is being repaired right now, so it'll be another two weeks at least before I get back to playing anything other than a PC game...

Kritz

Banned
Gazunta said:
I am going absolutely apespit trying to figure out what's available at what price any more. The release of both games has been such a mess.

You'd think a year's preparation time would be enough for retailers to get their shit together.

Guess not.

Mar

alistairw said:
I'm not rushing to get it, so at least I'll be playing other things. That said, my 360 is being repaired right now, so it'll be another two weeks at least before I get back to playing anything other than a PC game...

Nasty. Your first 360 death? You always remember your first.

alistairw

Mar_ said:
Nasty. Your first 360 death? You always remember your first.

My first was the day I bought one. HD was fucked. This time it was the disc drive - 4 months past warranty, but I managed to talk a Microsoft rep in New Zealand into having a chat to someone at MS Australia. And now they're doing it for free.

Freelancing for OXM has its perks :p

Johnkers

Gazunta said:
Wait wait wait, there IS a Rock Band+Guitar bundle available in Australia? Not the full band and NOT the game and guitar sold separately?

I'm not sure there is, I haven't seen one in the papers or anything.
I don't think World Tour has been a mess, only the lack of game/drum SKU is annoying.

Rock Band on the other hand being a year late and giving us outdated controls, that I agree with

Mar

alistairw said:
My first was the day I bought one. HD was fucked.

Haha, exactly the same as me.

This time it was the disc drive - 4 months past warranty, but I managed to talk a Microsoft rep in New Zealand into having a chat to someone at MS Australia. And now they're doing it for free.

Freelancing for OXM has its perks :p

Nice.

My second time was the 3RR, so I was 'lucky' I guess. Although it did take a few months to actually die completely, which was frustrating.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
I was going to go to a midnight launch in a few hours... Then I realized I have had about 4 hours sleep in the last 3 days and I have to work through till Sunday. :(

Mar

Router said:
I was going to go to a midnight launch in a few hours... Then I realized I have had about 4 hours sleep in the last 3 days and I have to work through till Sunday. :(

I've only ever been to one midnight launch, the Wii. And I'll never attend another midnight launch in my lifetime. There's some goddamn creepy people at those events.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Mar_ said:
I've only ever been to one midnight launch, the Wii. And I'll never attend another midnight launch in my lifetime. There's some goddamn creepy people at those events.

:lol I've been to a few. Sydney seems to be a little weirder than Melbourne for some reason. I went to visit a friend who was camping out for the PS3 launch and ended up going straight home for a long hot shower.

alistairw

Mar_ said:
My second time was the 3RR, so I was 'lucky' I guess. Although it did take a few months to actually die completely, which was frustrating.

Yeah, mine's been fucking up for months now. Just freezing every now and then for a while, then grinding for a while, then marking discs a little, then not playing even new discs. Never had a problem with DVDs for some reason, but, yeah...it's been a long process, and I'm looking forward to finishing a number of games that I couldn't before.

pilonv1

Gazunta said:

No. This is whats out there.

RB has:

Game
Guitar
Drums
Full kit
Track Pack (Wii/PS2)

GHWT has:

Game
Full Kit+Game
Guitar
Guitar + Game

Have fun.

senahorse

Mar_ said:

:lol indeed. I went to the wii midnight launch at TRU at the Asply Hypermarket, ended up standing in line for 3 hours, never again...hopefully.

Kritz

Banned
The only midnight event I went to was for Halo 3. That whole day was pretty much me, my friends, and our mobile phones, ringing up every electronic store in southern Tasmania wondering what the shit was going to happen, because two days earlier the fucking Myer store right next to EBGames caught on fire and all our preordered copies were in there (This was before Tasmania got a JB HiFi - though even the JB we have now is 10 metres away from the rubble formally known as Myer).

Exams, fires, and midnight launching of Halo 3. Good times.

VOOK

Mojo said:
Ooh nice. Does it come with a thumb stylus/strap like the old DS? How big is the internal memory?

No strap or thumb strap at all, not even like a camera one :/

I don't know where to find the memory blocks but I got about 390 pictures left on it. Apparently it has 256mb inbuilt but of course has the SD slot.

Kujo

VOOK said:
No strap or thumb strap at all, not even like a camera one :/

I don't know where to find the memory blocks but I got about 390 pictures left on it. Apparently it has 256mb inbuilt but of course has the SD slot.
I wish Nintendo didn't stop shipping the thumb stylus/strap with the DS, helps so much in some games.

256MB or so is pretty good, more than I expected. Still probably best to get a SD card for it though I guess. Now to wait 1 year before it comes to Australia :(

You going to be doing a full review on it for your site?

VOOK

Mojo said:
I wish Nintendo didn't stop shipping the thumb stylus/strap with the DS, helps so much in some games.

256MB or so is pretty good, more than I expected. Still probably best to get a SD card for it though I guess. Now to wait 1 year before it comes to Australia :(

You going to be doing a full review on it for your site?

Yeah I liked the old thing too, guess Nintendo got too many complains maybe from it.

I'll be doing a review, some picks going up tonight with some small impressions.

Eyemus Lutt said:
Why does it say DS 0 on the cover instead of DSi?

Its a little i in the circle, looks like an O from that angle I guess.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Mar_ said:

I went to the midnight launch of the burning crusade at my local EB, was a few people there, nothing crazy at all. Just sat in the corner with my ipod waiting for midnight to hit so i could get home.

Will probably do it again this week with wrath. But i will never do it for anything else.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Midnight launches are kinda wierd, got my PS3, i was 3rd though or something and just bolted once i had mine. Might go to that new WOW one with my friend to look at the freaks :).

Gears 2 today :) to many games, this will be the last one for this year though..... hopefully.

Mar

I think I have most aus gaffers on my 360 friends list already but if not, feel free to send me a request:

Mar 360x

jercruz

anybody know where to get no more heroes cheap?

I missed the 38 sale at Big W and DSE (info from ecogamer)

BTW nice VOOK on creating an Aussie GAF thread. Huge success!

PSN: jromz03

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom