• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF - Twice the price, a year late, filtered and seized by customs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kritz

Banned
I'm planning to drop by a few stores on my way home today to see if anyone's selling Rock Band + plastic peripherals. Too bad the Big W chains in Tassie are so far away from everything else.

Here's hoping one turns up.

tyagi

CDWow's free shipping also seems to apply to orders placed from New Zealand.

There's no point creating a KiwiGAF thread, so I'll just piggyback on here :)

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
pilonv1 said:
wait internode has free steam content?

Yea and free premium usenet access :lol .

A couple of isp's will try and mirror steam content locally. For example if your on iinet you could try and use 3fl as your steam server, but they dont always have files on it, so its hit and miss. Valve have only allowed a few isp's to mirror their content in AUS, i think internode and bigpond being 2 of them, could be one more.

Johnkers

pilonv1 said:
wait internode has free steam content?

Yep, if you're downloading from steam and it has an Internode banner, then it's free content. Not sure about non Internode sources though

pilonv1

Johnkers said:
Yep, if you're downloading from steam and it has an Internode banner, then it's free content. Not sure about non Internode sources though

awesome, i never checked when i was getting stuff from steam but ive been with internode for years

Mar

consoul said:
Also, onya VOOKo for havin' a go ya mug. Strewth! Stone the crows, you bloody ripper. This is a fair dinkum true blue bottler of a thread. Crikey! She'll be right mate. Bonza. Uh...dingos. Howzat?

:lol

I'd add BigW and KMart to the list. Games can often be found for $30 off in there, as well as accessories being really cheap sometimes. You just have to navigate your way around the screaming children and the fat lycra wearing mothers.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Steam: evlcookie
PSN: evlcookie

Its the only name i go by, unless there is an impostor floating around.

Walshey

sweet new locals to play Gears 2 with on the weekend.

XBL: Walshey90210
PSN: GROZIE_56
Steam: [BTE]Walshey_Blob

Fuzyfrog

Kiwi Invasion ! :D

But seriously if u want R18 versions than GPstore.co.nz is the way to go.
They are now Mightyape.co.nz.

We still get unedited versions of most games (except GTAIV)

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Polk said:
I used to love that store. But in last year they had at least two credit card leaks (one in september 07, and one around june this year).

Oh dear...

I will add the other retailers shortly.

My XBL name is the same as my GAF username but my PSN is err I dunno maybe VOOK or VOOK64 not sure :lol S Someone check who is already on my list?

edit see below for my proper PSN, steam I'll have to double check too.

Bildi

www.videogamesplus.ca is another one people seem to like. I've never used them myself, but the Canadian exchange rate has always been pretty good, and is currently much better than the US exchange rate of course.

Quasar

Bernbaum said:
Holy Fuck, just realised how expensive Steam is for Australians now that the dollar is back below the 70c mark. Just checked my Credit Card online and my Left 4 Dead pre-order has set me back $70 AUD. Fucking hell. Imagine getting CoD4 now, it would be a joke compared to retail.

Yeah. I thought Steam was terrible before (prices and title restrictions), but with the dollar in the toilet its a joke.

Quasar

Kritz said:
Oh, and for iPrimus users, over at the Whirlpool forums I noticed that there are possibly plans in the works to make Steam downloads not count towards your monthly bandwidth usage. Ditto for podcasts and the 1up show. No idea when it's happening, though.

I wonder if they'll do that with iView as well.

I've been happy enough with exetel myself. Lowish prices and decent (for Australia) bandwidth limits keeps me with them. Plus having a static IP is nice.

Fredescu

My gamertag is Fredescu. I don't have an LBP box yet. Hoping for another price drop, although that's looking less and less likely. That's kind of a good thing though with the insane about of good games out over the next few weeks. I'm not sure how I will cope.

Cdnow.com.au has free shipping? Damn, Fallout 3 is getting harder and harder to resist.

Go319

thx for the heads up Vook re avatar size!

also ratchet and clank (i assume u are talking about the ps3 one?) is actually really fun and it looks great.

......my only gripe is that it tacks on unnecessary motion sensing in stupidly frustrating mini-puzzles...enough to make me stop playing altogether...

Shaneus

XBL: Shaneus2k2

TBH, the only site I can really recommend here is Economical Gamer. It's fantastic to buy a stack of DS games from DSE for $10 each then using them as tradebait @ EB. So good.

And I second the recommendation to come on over to www.games-ranch.com - it really is a fun, local community site :)

rass

Yay Australia!
my psn is the same as my name here... maybe without the fullstop? i dont remember... only game i play online at the moment is warhawk, but ill be getting LBP shortly.

I got skate and uncharted both from videogamesplus.ca -- it was a good experience

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
Xbox Live: littlemaths
Steam: littlemaths

Littlemaths is also my DJ name. Anyone in Adelaide is encouraged to come see me and Aristotle at Live on Light - 63 Light Sq., in the city - every Thursday night starting next week.

Word.

when our dollar was worth US .98c, eStarland was where I did A LOT of my importing.

Decent prices, have most stuff you'd want, plus some retro. They even do trade-ins. Pretty quick shipping considering it's standard from the US.

Longest I've waited was about 2 weeks. They do take a while to respond to emails.

The best advice I can give to fellow Aussie GAF gamers is shop around.

Kmart, Target, Myer, BigW and Harvey Norman are GOLD MINES for old games/accessories or just general random great deals that come out of nowhere.

I went in to Harvey Norman in Bondi the other day (I'm from Melbourne, but I was on holiday), and they had The Club and Devil May Cry 4 on 360 for $20!!!!!

EDIT: Oh, and dvdcrave.com.au and burn.com.au have some good deals too.

Johnkers

I'm still passing on RB2 for now, with the exchange rate it'll just be too expensive I think. Sticking to RB1 + DLC and GH:WT

The_Dude

I didn't import anything for months when the dollar was nearly equal to the US dollar, then the damn thing dropped when something I wanted finally came out :(

Anyone else use CD Universe? I always bought my import games from them, but they recently got rid of the best postage option to Australia. Now it's either cheaper shipping with no tracking (which took three weeks to get here for my last one), or more expensive for pretty much the same service I used to use. Pretty disappointing.

Also, has anyone seen Infinite Undiscovery cheap? I keep seeing that the price has been reduced in the US, but here it only seems to be disappearing from some stores while being full price at the ones that still have it.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Johnkers said:
I'm still passing on RB2 for now, with the exchange rate it'll just be too expensive I think. Sticking to RB1 + DLC and GH:WT

I'm just getting the disk, not the whole thing. Hopefully CD Wow get it and it should be like $80.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
legend166 said:
Anyone know a good place to import a UK version of RB2 from?

Shipping would be a nightmare, i got RB1 yesterday with the drums and guitar etc, box is massive, could fit a corpse in it if you cut it in half.

Bildi

The_Dude said:
Anyone else use CD Universe? I always bought my import games from them, but they recently got rid of the best postage option to Australia. Now it's either cheaper shipping with no tracking (which took three weeks to get here for my last one), or more expensive for pretty much the same service I used to use. Pretty disappointing.

For what it's worth, I use their $9.00 shipping and have found it usually comes within about 10 to 14 days. I've had one take nearly three weeks too.

I don't have a problem with that though as it's pretty standard for airmail, and I only use cduniverse in certain situations.

expensive month coming up. LBP, resistance 2 and i really want world tour aswell.
jut a quick question, does anyone know a cheap place in melb city to get a copy of gears of war? i only recently got my xbox (arcade at 250$, was cheap i thought :)). ive been tryin to catch up on games i've missed.. i've only seen gears 1 pre owned special editions for around 69$ in EB. surely u can pick this up cheaper? it was massive right? Couple of my recent purchases: blue dragon pre owned for 35$ at jb. eternal sonata new for 30$ at eb chapel st (i thought this was awsome! and viva pinata avail at all jbs for 12 bucks pre owned. worth a pick up. anyway, my tag is RATAB i think, basically only play HALO online at the moment. Would love to compare scored with Geometry wars 2 retro though as all my friends list dont play it.
*edit* is there a cheaper way to get xbox points? i like the arcade games just a bit pricey!

APerfectCircle said:
expensive month coming up. LBP, resistance 2 and i really want world tour aswell.
jut a quick question, does anyone know a cheap place in melb city to get a copy of gears of war? i only recently got my xbox (arcade at 250$, was cheap i thought :)). ive been tryin to catch up on games i've missed.. i've only seen gears 1 pre owned special editions for around 69$ in EB. surely u can pick this up cheaper? it was massive right? Couple of my recent purchases: blue dragon pre owned for 35$ at jb. eternal sonata new for 30$ at eb chapel st (i thought this was awsome! and viva pinata avail at all jbs for 12 bucks pre owned. worth a pick up. anyway, my tag is RATAB i think, basically only play HALO online at the moment. Would love to compare scored with Geometry wars 2 retro though as all my friends list dont play it.
*edit* is there a cheaper way to get xbox points? i like the arcade games just a bit pricey!

I believe Dick Smith is doing all versions of Gears 2 for $79.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom