• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF - Twice the price, a year late, filtered and seized by customs

Status
Not open for further replies.

guidop

Nedjoe said:
I would love to see this, was it on My Generation? Hopefully it's online.
yea its was, should have mentioned it in my post. Pretty sure TBYG episodes are posted on the 10's TBYG show website

CryptiK

So my girlfriends computer got finsihed up today its awesome better than mine >.> Set up her steam account so she can play games with me WIN :D

So far the Comp is running smooth as no hitches or problems I also ended up building a HTPC for her dad so everyone is happy all round :D

Mar

Such a great weekend of gaming. Haven't got to play that much for a long time.

Finished Castlevania HD with a friend, then we grouped with three other randoms and finished on hard mode (which is really hard, without the uber geared japanese guy in our party we would have been destroyed).

Then finished Crackdown 2 with two of my friends (worst ending I've seen in a good while). But the really awesome part was all of us figuring out how to climb the tallest building in the city and collect the hidden orb up the top, and chase down the renegade orb next to it. It was so exhilarating climbing that thing and looking around at everything below.

Played some Limbo... Not sure what everyone has been falling over themselves about there...

Then finished the Alan Wake DLC which is close to my favourite piece of gaming this year.

Choc

Banned
Crackdown 2 is complete crap

Discuss.

Ok seriously, i just don't like it. I finally got a chance to play the full version over the weekend and it just feels so bad compared to the original game. The announcer is crap especially when you get achievements and the feel of the game just isn't there

:|

Agyar

Mar said:
Such a great weekend of gaming. Haven't got to play that much for a long time.

Finished Castlevania HD with a friend, then we grouped with three other randoms and finished on hard mode (which is really hard, without the uber geared japanese guy in our party we would have been destroyed).

Then finished Crackdown 2 with two of my friends (worst ending I've seen in a good while). But the really awesome part was all of us figuring out how to climb the tallest building in the city and collect the hidden orb up the top, and chase down the renegade orb next to it. It was so exhilarating climbing that thing and looking around at everything below.

Played some Limbo... Not sure what everyone has been falling over themselves about there...

Then finished the Alan Wake DLC which is close to my favourite piece of gaming this year.

I tried the Limbo demo and felt underwhelmed. While ticking some art design boxes, it failed to tell me why I should play it, which I think is an important question to answer when you're trying to enjoy some downtime with a video game. Praise for the "atmosphere" seems to be given more out of expectation than actual impression and on its own wasn't enough to make me want to continue playing.

Shaneus

Ugh, fucking Australia Post. Because a parcel was addressed to a GPO Box in East Melbourne rather than Melbourne it's getting returned back to the sender, even though the post code was correct and GPO boxes are only in capital cities and not suburbs (never mind the fact that their website actually said it was ready for collection at East Melbourne post office before it was sent back to the distribution centre). Probably going to have to pay for postage AGAIN too.

Clearly, I was destined to not have a PS3.

(shut up, rass :p)

rass

finally saw toy story 3 (3d) last night, it was pretty awesome - the short before it, 'day & night', was fantastic. I liked real d 3d better than the imax 3d I've seen before, could have just been because it was a smaller screen

Mar, I loved Limbo- but I can understand people not enjoying it.
I've been playing the hell out of 'pain' from PSN, having no internet means I'm trawling though games I haven't played in ages

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I need backpack ideas and buying places. Since it looks like i'm being moved to a new location and there will be fun public transport, i need a way to carry my lunch to work.

I don't think i need anything that can store 400 items. I won't be taking my laptop home so it's pretty much just lunch.

Any small backpacks suggestions? I haven't had a backpack since high school and i certainly don't need one that large.

Agyar

evlcookie said:
I need backpack ideas and buying places. Since it looks like i'm being moved to a new location and there will be fun public transport, i need a way to carry my lunch to work.

I don't think i need anything that can store 400 items. I won't be taking my laptop home so it's pretty much just lunch.

Any small backpacks suggestions? I haven't had a backpack since high school and i certainly don't need one that large.

It sounds like you should just go to a shop and buy a bag. Also backpacks are for kids get a satchel.

rass

evlcookie said:

http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/Wh...ja-Turtles-Headband-Shell-Backpack-361439.jsp

in related news, i got a manbag thing from country road which is pretty ok. It kind of fits some cameras and food/keys/wallet

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Sold rass. I will use that new site for aussies to buy from the US, i'm sure it's under 2kgs!

Satchel / Messenger bag sounds perfect. I forgot we buy bags at work (although most are laptop bags), so hopefully i can find one that isn't too expensive with a staff purchase.

Otherwise yea, i guess i will hit up the shops on the weekend and see pilgrim + buy a bag.

Perfect bag but out of stock - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002IADDYK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Mar

Choc said:

Discuss.

Ok seriously, i just don't like it. I finally got a chance to play the full version over the weekend and it just feels so bad compared to the original game. The announcer is crap especially when you get achievements and the feel of the game just isn't there

Crackdown 2 is Crackdown but with 4 player co-op. It does some things worse (story just shouldn't have been in there, zombie hordes are utterly boring and out of place), but it does a good job of making it feel like you have more to do. But basically, it's the first game with more dudes to join you. And that makes it 4 times as good as the first in my opinion.

Agyar said:
I tried the Limbo demo and felt underwhelmed. While ticking some art design boxes, it failed to tell me why I should play it, which I think is an important question to answer when you're trying to enjoy some downtime with a video game. Praise for the "atmosphere" seems to be given more out of expectation than actual impression and on its own wasn't enough to make me want to continue playing.

I think that's exactly how I feel. It looks great, but there's nothing compelling me to continue moving forward. I don't feel like there's anything driving the game other than the very basic mechanic of pushing right on the stick. Some of the 'puzzles' almost had me quit the game as I just felt no reason to solve them. Dying and spawning back in immediately over and over again. I did keep going however until finally I just turned the game off because I was no longer interested.

It makes me think there's a lot of people out there that don't usually experience a good atmosphere in a game, and would not unless the game itself was so basic and unchallenging that pushing right on the stick to experience more of it is the only way they would. Because I've played so many more games with just as good if not better atmosphere, but they are usually plagued by complex or even broken controls and mechanics. Fair enough if people don't like pushing through those sorts of things, but I do enjoy doing that and prefer it to pushing myself through a very polished control scheme but very dull and boring style, like Gears of War for example.

evlcookie said:
Sold rass. I will use that new site for aussies to buy from the US, i'm sure it's under 2kgs!

Satchel / Messenger bag sounds perfect. I forgot we buy bags at work (although most are laptop bags), so hopefully i can find one that isn't too expensive with a staff purchase.

Otherwise yea, i guess i will hit up the shops on the weekend and see pilgrim + buy a bag.

Perfect bag but out of stock - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002IADDYK/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Go with a Satchel/Messenger bag. My Motorhead messenger bag has served me well for the last 5 years.

Tried the following?
http://www.bagworld.com.au/
http://www.shoebuy.com/all-bags-categories.htm
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/

Also did EA bother with Rockband 2 in Australia? Or would it be best to hold out for RB3 with the new instruments? Devin Townsend announced collaboration with Harmonix to get his material out on DLC :D

Agyar

Mar said:
I think that's exactly how I feel. It looks great, but there's nothing compelling me to continue moving forward. I don't feel like there's anything driving the game other than the very basic mechanic of pushing right on the stick. Some of the 'puzzles' almost had me quit the game as I just felt no reason to solve them. Dying and spawning back in immediately over and over again. I did keep going however until finally I just turned the game off because I was no longer interested.

It makes me think there's a lot of people out there that don't usually experience a good atmosphere in a game, and would not unless the game itself was so basic and unchallenging that pushing right on the stick to experience more of it is the only way they would. Because I've played so many more games with just as good if not better atmosphere, but they are usually plagued by complex or even broken controls and mechanics. Fair enough if people don't like pushing through those sorts of things, but I do enjoy doing that and prefer it to pushing myself through a very polished control scheme but very dull and boring style, like Gears of War for example.

I think a lot of armchair critics (and professional critics for that matter) have issues when it comes to evaluating atmosphere in games. The more complex the game, the more atmopshere is ignored as a given so when something like Limbo comes along with its absolute simplicity, the mysterious, dark and dream-like atmosphere is essentially handed to them on a platter and they are told to enjoy it. Atsmophere is at the core of any good gaming experience but when a big-budget game is critiqued, the spotlight is put on "graphics", "sound" and "art direction" instead of the atmosphere those qualities produce, because nobody told the critic there was an atmosphere to experience. The exception here is the survival/horror genre, which usually gets the same treatment as Limbo. By expectation, atmosphere becomes a critical bullet point and success is measured by whether the critic believes they are feeling what they're told to feel.

Choc

Banned
legend166 said:
Thinking I'm going to get a Samsung Galaxy S.

$50/month on Virgin.

Why not get it on optus (which uses the same network) for the same price

Virgin is okish.... i used to be on them but moved off.

legend166

Choc said:
Why not get it on optus (which uses the same network) for the same price

Virgin is okish.... i used to be on them but moved off.

My whole family is on Virgin.. So it's better for them for me to be on Virgin.

Choc

Banned
Also

Who has played Mafia 2? I played it last night the Live download and its really quite awesome

I think they have delivered big time with this one. i can't wait and it looks like the design values from mafia 1 are there again with spades

Don't pick up the playboy mag with your other half around (a nude screen appears instantly)

!

Is it true that Nolan North plays two characters who HAVE A CONVERSATION with each other?

Frawdder

Choc said:
Also

Who has played Mafia 2? I played it last night the Live download and its really quite awesome

I think they have delivered big time with this one. i can't wait and it looks like the design values from mafia 1 are there again with spades

Don't pick up the playboy mag with your other half around (a nude screen appears instantly)

!
Mafia 2 Demo was released last week and yes, it is very awesome...on PC. There are a few console people having a whinge about it in the impressions thread but on PC it looks great and plays really well.

Choc said:
Is it true that Nolan North plays two characters who HAVE A CONVERSATION with each other?
Yes.

Someone in AusGAF recently recommended a website for keeping your receipts and warranties online, but for the life of me I can't turn it up using search. Could some kind soul please remind me? I don't trust my record keeping skills ATM :)

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
endlessflood said:
Someone in AusGAF recently recommended a website for keeping your receipts and warranties online, but for the life of me I can't turn it up using search. Could some kind soul please remind me? I don't trust my record keeping skills ATM :)

Evernote ? Guess it depends on how you go about keeping records.

evlcookie said:
Evernote ? Guess it depends on how you go about keeping records.
Yes, that was it, thanks!

Is it any good? I'm thinking about scanning a bunch of my important receipts/warranties and then keeping them in the cloud, is Evernote a good idea for that? Their web site is kind of vague about what they actually offer.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
endlessflood said:
Yes, that was it, thanks!

Is it any good? I'm thinking about scanning a bunch of my important receipts/warranties and then keeping them in the cloud, is Evernote a good idea for that? Their web site is kind of vague about what they actually offer.

yep should do fine. You can buy scanners that directly upload the image to your evernote account, if you happen to be really lazy.

There's a guide here that might help you - http://lifehacker.com/5330558/the-complete-guide-to-going-paperless

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Thread's too big, going to need a new one. I'm okay with you guys having your own subcommunity, btw, but maybe the online forum would be a better fit, as I'm trying to limit the amount of megathreads going on in the gaming forum so it doesn't hinder the flow of information.

rass

goodbye massive thread :(
the day we knew was coming is here

online or off-topic? Isn't online a sub-forum of gaming? I would have having the thread in online would put the same pressure on the servers as having it in gaming? I'm not a web guy though.

Rlan

EviLore said:
Thread's too big, going to need a new one. I'm okay with you guys having your own subcommunity, btw, but maybe the online forum would be a better fit, as I'm trying to limit the amount of megathreads going on in the gaming forum so it doesn't hinder the flow of information.

Nobody goes to the Online forum. AusGAF is only active when you guys are asleep anyhow :)

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
rass said:
goodbye massive thread :(
the day we knew was coming is here

online or off-topic? Isn't online a sub-forum of gaming? I would have having the thread in online would put the same pressure on the servers as having it in gaming? I'm not a web guy though.

Separate things.

New thread (wherever it's placed) is to make sure it doesn't cause any server probs.

Putting the new thread in, say, the online forum, would free up space on page 1 of the gaming forum for news and so forth.

hamchan

Well AusGAF thread part 2 I guess. I don't know about being moved to Online side though. There are a number of lurkers that read our thread and talk to us via steam, about how they can't wait to get activated etc. Those guys still need to read the thread too.

Maybe a new thread every year or half year would work?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Rlan said:
Nobody goes to the Online forum. AusGAF is only active when you guys are asleep anyhow :)

You guys should have the thread subscribed anyway; wouldn't be any difference in that case for the regulars.

Rlan

EviLore said:
You guys should have the thread subscribed anyway; wouldn't be any difference in that case for the regulars.

I've never touched the subscription thing otherwise I'll just get a billion e-mails a day.

Is there any way to make subscription threads appear in some sort of top list of threads? You're own personal "sticky" selection?

Rlan said:
I've never touched the subscription thing otherwise I'll just get a billion e-mails a day.

Is there any way to make subscription threads appear in some sort of top list of threads? You're own personal "sticky" selection?

You can set it so you don't get emails :p

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Rlan said:

That's the whole point of the subscription system and why there's a prominent link to it in the header. Just go into your user cp and turn it on (Default Thread Subscription Mode, "no email notification" option) and you'll automatically subscribe to any thread you post in or create, and then you'll have a custom thread listing when you hit the subscriptions link in the header.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Rlan said:

You can disable the email notifications. I know i do. I always just click on subscriptions at the top and if i notice someone has posted lately in the ausgaf thread i click on it and see what's been said since i last visited.

I can understand why we might get thrown in the online section. We do swing from Gaming talk to OT to online and so on along with the needs of the forum software and hardware.

If you're going to close it down very very soon. Can we at least hit the 33k mark and close it on a nice even number? :D

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Alright what's the verdict, I'll remake it wherever I'm told. And I'll update the OP with some more relevant stuff.

evlcookie said:
You can disable the email notifications. I know i do. I always just click on subscriptions at the top and if i notice someone has posted lately in the ausgaf thread i click on it and see what's been said since i last visited.

I can understand why we might get thrown in the online section. We do swing from Gaming talk to OT to online and so on along with the needs of the forum software and hardware.

If you're going to close it down very very soon. Can we at least hit the 33k mark and close it on a nice even number? :D
I hoping we would end the thread on page "666" personally

Nemesis_

Choc said:

Discuss.

You're right and about a month late. But it's so true. Worst sequel ever. Probably the worst game so far this year. U_U. It's pretty evident that Ruffian weren't given assets from the original game because they spent two of the three years of development rebuilding everything EXACTLY.

I've never been so disappointed. U_U

rass

DualShadow said:
You can set it so you don't get emails :p
pretty sure the email thing doesn't work?

edit:
thanks evilore

ahhh shit, sorry VOOK, feel free to continue your thread ownership skills, I'll get mine locked

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
VOOK said:
Alright what's the verdict, I'll remake it wherever I'm told. And I'll update the OP with some more relevant stuff.

Yeah let's go with the online forum. The id threads are not being used so I'll unsticky those and make AusGAF a sticky thread for convenience.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Well you can have it rass, but you're the one who has to keep it updated. But yeah, should have copied the title over.

Delete!

Frawdder

I guess it's cool that you're allowing us to do what we do, I just think that this thread should be in the public sector to benefit those who are either not a member or can't login.

Just my 2 cents, see you all in AusGAF 2: Return of AusGAF (or whatever)

Edit: 33000!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom