• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF - Twice the price, a year late, filtered and seized by customs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rahk

Clipper said:
Does anybody know anything of the new site http://www.hopshopgo.com ?

news.com.au put up a story about them yesterday and it seems too good to be true. Basically, it's tied to Paypal and they give you a US address so you can order from any online site in the US. The US sites ship to the US address, they ship to you. They can even combine shipments so you save on shipping.

This seems like a pretty great service if it actually works. I'm wary about it, though, given the potential for lost items. That's why I'd like to knoe if anybody else has heard about this from elsewhere...
I've used www.shipito.com a couple times. I think they charge about $5 to accept and hold your item until you pay for shipping. Shipping was a bit expensive, but probably representative of UPS and FedEx prices. They also charge a monthly fee if you want them to combine shipping.

Looks like that site could be better since it's free, although I suppose they could just include the extra charge on top of shipping or something.

First item under 2KG shipped for free is a pretty awesome incentive to try it out though.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
:lol :lol :lol

Has anyone watched letters and numbers on SBS? I think that's its name, or numbers and letters!

So much fun.

legend166

Ydahs said:
Ahoy AusGAF. Updated my AFL Dream Team website. Check out the new updates here!

It's been pretty successful so far with around 25k page views in its first month. Hoping to crack 50k in the next few weeks.

You can track the ESS v COL live scores using the match tracker here. (for delayed scores go to the site homepage and select it from there).

25k views first month?

Nice.

Are you looking at monetising it somehow? Sell an app for iPhones/Android?

Ydahs

legend166 said:
25k views first month?

Nice.

Are you looking at monetising it somehow? Sell an app for iPhones/Android?
25k doesn't sound like much when you consider that most of those views come from the live match viewer, which refreshes every 30 seconds, similar to how Fanfooty did it a few years back. But there are returning visitors (30-50 unique visitors a weekend) and regulars who use the live viewer, so that's a start.

Most users come from a small forum called dreamteamforum.com.au who've shown great support, but I guess it'll only really take off if it's posted on something like Bigfooty, but I ain't registered there (brother is, but for some reason he's reluctant on posting it there...).

As for making money off of it? I started the project as a means of learning to program in Python and didn't really have anything about money in mind. The most I'll do now is add some ads on the site. Besides, Fanfooty is releasing an iPod app, it won't be easy competing with that.

Ydahs

Gazunta said:
Is this anything to do with Virtual Sports Dream Team fantasy football?
It's everything to do with that actually. If you know of Dream Team you probably know of Fanfooty. My site has a live match tracker like it, but naturally I think mine is a little better ;)

Here's a screen which shows its features:

gr_3.png

You can highlight the player's names and see their stats or click on the icon next to their name and view their DT performance throughout the game. All these features are available in delayed mode too, so you can still use it if the broadcaster is showing the game an hour late.

Even if you don't have a Dream Team, you can find it useful from the delayed statistics :)

Ydahs said:
It's everything to do with that actually. If you know of Dream Team you probably know of Fanfooty. My site has a live match tracker like it, but naturally I think mine is a little better ;)

Even if you don't have a Dream Team, you can find it useful from the delayed statistics :)

yeah I checked the site out and thought it was pretty good although I like the fanfooty site on the weekends to watch the live scores. It only has the bare necessities and refreshes pretty quick for me along with the live chat going on being entertaining.

One thing I particularly like about your site is the price and breakeven info for each player. This, in my opinion, is one area which the other sites dont have as accessible as your site yet it is the most important aspect of fantasy football.

Next year this site will be great to use from the start of the season.

Nemesis_

Mar said:
Just Kotaku being Kotaku. Reporting on rumours and then finding out it was all rubbish.

Not really. The publisher leaked the story to several news outlets who all published the same story. I hate Kotaku, but this isn't their fault this time.

Ydahs

chicko1983 said:
yeah I checked the site out and thought it was pretty good although I like the fanfooty site on the weekends to watch the live scores. It only has the bare necessities and refreshes pretty quick for me along with the live chat going on being entertaining.

One thing I particularly like about your site is the price and breakeven info for each player. This, in my opinion, is one area which the other sites dont have as accessible as your site yet it is the most important aspect of fantasy football.

Next year this site will be great to use from the start of the season.
Fair enough and thanks for the comments. It's hard establishing a website in this sort of environment, considering Fanfooty has been uncontested with their live viewer for years now. A lot of people have become accustomed to it and don't see the need to change to another (like my brother who rarely uses my site).

I've considered adding chat myself but unfortunately I don't have the same dedication or time as the owner of Fanfooty. How he finds the time to live blog every game and moderate the chat is beyond me. I might eventually add Facebook chat integration though.

CryptiK

Getting my GF a mid range Gaming computer tomorrow at her request :p

CPU: i3-530
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M
RAM: 4G Kit ddr3 1333 King
Vcard: 1GB 5770 Powercolour
HDD: WD 1TB
DVDDrive: SATA LG
PSU: 500W Coolmaster
Case: Antec 300

Should play many games on high ya thinks?(fuckin better than my computer >.>)

The cheapest GTX 460 is about 50-60 bucks more than a 5770. Is the budget that strict? I'd go up unless you don't care too much for AA.

What res are the games going to be played at?

CryptiK

toasty_T said:
The cheapest GTX 460 is about 50-60 bucks more than a 5770. Is the budget that strict? I'd go up unless you don't care too much for AA.

What res are the games going to be played at?
strict! The computer I listed is fine for SC2 source engine games etc she isn't going to play many games. Mostly RTS's or Basic ones.. not graphical intensive plus the 5770 is great for 1980x1080 games.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Can't she transfer her old hard drives and crap from the old machine over? Save you HD and optical drive money and get an i5 quad instead of a dual i3.

CryptiK

evlcookie said:
Can't she transfer her old hard drives and crap from the old machine over? Save you HD and optical drive money and get an i5 quad instead of a dual i3.
Her onld hard drive is 40GB and her old optical.. is a CDRW xD

CryptiK

evlcookie said:
Ah fair enough then.

I'm sure she will enjoy her new rig.
Im showing her the i5-650 at the moment its 77 more for it. Shit forgot the 650 was still a dual core... yeah the quad is out of the price range... you guys think it will handle most games well still?

markot

Banned
Agyar said:
Whereas if you build the computer, you become a 24/7 Microsoft support hotline and work for free.

>_<

Building your own computer is easier and quicker then getting your Credit Card removed from xbox live!

Fredescu

CryptiK said:
Im showing her the i5-650 at the moment its 77 more for it. Shit forgot the 650 was still a dual core... yeah the quad is out of the price range... you guys think it will handle most games well still?
I reckon an x4 635 with a mild overclock is better for cheaper.

CryptiK

CPU: Core i5-760 2.8Ghz
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M
RAM: 4G Kit ddr3 1333 King
Vcard: 1GB 5770 Powercolour
HDD: WD 1TB
DVDDrive: SATA LG
PSU: 500W Coolmaster
Case: Antec 200v2

So she changed her mind and now her budget went up and she is going to have a better computer than me... WHAT THE FUCK WHY!? This is fucking bullshit! I have to build 2 computers tomorrow for this household I should be getting paid for this crap :( I want a job..

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
any aussies making the trip to Germany for gamescom? I will be there on the 19th. if you want to meet send me a pm

Agyar

CryptiK said:
This is fucking bullshit! I have to build 2 computers tomorrow for this household I should be getting paid for this crap :( I want a job..

This is why you buy people Macs, Dells and consoles.

Who's giving the best bundle for PS3's at the moment? EB has one with 3 games I already have and they dont do bundle matching anymore. Havent checked Myer or JB or anything yet..

Pikelet

heh, i like building pc's for my friends and family. It is a good feeling that you just saved them probably around 800 bucks compared to a Dell or something, plus they usually compensate for it in some way.

Shaneus

pseudocaesar said:
Who's giving the best bundle for PS3's at the moment? EB has one with 3 games I already have and they dont do bundle matching anymore. Havent checked Myer or JB or anything yet..
Talk to rass ;)

Mar

Pikelet said:
heh, i like building pc's for my friends and family. It is a good feeling that you just saved them probably around 800 bucks compared to a Dell or something, plus they usually compensate for it in some way.

But you also automatically become 24/7 tech support and everything that goes wrong with the system is your fault regardless of the cause. I learned this very fast during my PC days and refused to build computers for family, even to the point of not offering support as well. Even though I did it professionally.

I even had a neighbour come around to my door one time and she said "so I hear you fix computers, I've got a problem". I'd never met her before and I had no idea how she knew what I did for a job. But I told her she'd have to take it to a computer store. There's no way in the world I'd get on the slippery slope of fixing everyone and their grandmother's computers.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
But you are a mac user also which means you now have to fix mac issues. No matter what type of computer / OS you use, people will always go, oh you use that well i need help ...

It's the downside of having an interest in technology.

Syth_Blade22 said:
:lol :lol :lol

Has anyone watched letters and numbers on SBS? I think that's its name, or numbers and letters!

So much fun.

I watched a couple of episodes. Not bad, but so repetitive. Plus the games are hard to play along with for mere mortals like I.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Mar said:
Man, the Alan Wake DLC was incredible. Such a contrast to the original game. Now I feel conflicted.
hmm, really?

that makes me want to track down my copy (Remz!) and try it. I liked a lot of Alan Wake. It was just nice to play something that was presented a bit differently from most other games.

remz

Rez said:
hmm, really?

that makes me want to track down my copy (Remz!) and try it. I liked a lot of Alan Wake. It was just nice to play something that was presented a bit differently from most other games.
you get it back when you finish God Hand >:0

Agyar

Mar said:
It's one of the better gaming experiences I've had this year.

Spoiler version: http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/MarcBell/20100614/5361/The_Problem_With_Alan_Wake.php

Non spoiler version: It was a good game but let down by a multitude of 'video game' issues that continually pulled me out of the experience.

Now that you say that I recall you describing it as such previously. And I have not read your blog about it, due to wanting to play it myself (and now having a shrink-wrapped copy in my possession).

Aon

AusGAF takes control of GAFCRAFT server. Warning, a huge image approaches.

AUSGIRAFFEAFRO

What Kritz Did ;__;

And a view from the top of the Giraffe!

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom