• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF - Twice the price, a year late, filtered and seized by customs

Status
Not open for further replies.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Who is your ISP markot?

Also work just made things interesting. It looks like they want to move me to another warehouse which isn't all that great now that i think about it. It's going to cost me ~$2k in public transport fees and about 70+ minutes each way. I don't earn enough to justify spending close to 2k on public transport. If i had my own car then it could be lower but i honestly doubt it with petrol prices.

Plus they don't know what the word pay rise is. So i could be up shit creek. I guess i need to look at getting my license and start looking for a better job.

markot

Banned
http://www.grapevine.com.au/

On transact cable.

$89.95 per month 120GB / 200GB

But I also have to pay 69 bucks a month for cable and phone access with Transact.

911804660.png

Only internets I can get in my area... out of ADSL range and no other cable operator, they have a monopoly on Canberra >.<

Mar

evlcookie said:
Who is your ISP markot?

Also work just made things interesting. It looks like they want to move me to another warehouse which isn't all that great now that i think about it. It's going to cost me ~$2k in public transport fees and about 70+ minutes each way. I don't earn enough to justify spending close to 2k on public transport. If i had my own car then it could be lower but i honestly doubt it with petrol prices.

Plus they don't know what the word pay rise is. So i could be up shit creek. I guess i need to look at getting my license and start looking for a better job.

Public transport is considerably cheaper at those distances, at least here in Sydney. $48 for a weekly 24/7 ticket for all buses and trains. Petrol for driving is over that already, without counting maintenance costs, insurance, rego etc. The real killer for me though (I've done both types, 4 years driving, 6 public transport), is that driving was about 4 billion times more stressful. I'd get to work wanting to murder people.

How come your work has dicked you around like that? Nothing you can do?

legend166

I just realised Metroid: Other M is coming out on the 2nd of September.

Perfect. September 5th is my birthday and I took some days off around it to make it a 4 day weekend.

Mar

legend166 said:
I just realised Metroid: Other M is coming out on the 2nd of September.

Perfect. September 5th is my birthday and I took some days off around it to make it a 4 day weekend.

Everything I've heard about that game hasn't been very positive. Be happy for it all to be wrong though. I'd love another good Metroid game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really nervous about Other M. I really hope it ends up doing well, but there's just such a stink surrounding it. If it wasn't a Nintendo game, I know I would have laughed it out of my mind ages ago.

Rahk

Choc said:
Also, i've been to London to visit the queen. Anyway enough of that. After arriving back from the UK I decided to fire up The getaway on PS2 and see just how accurate it is

its phenomonally accurate, there is so many places i saw in London (not just tourist attractions) which are in that game in the exact place, underground stations, train stations, bus areas, shops, things under construction etc

Totally awesome :) Anyone else had that kind of experience with a game and travelling?
Yeah, I remember a Need For Speed game on PS1 giving me that kind of experience. Driving from the Opera House to Uluru in a minute. Just like in real life.

commanderdeek said:
The Yakuza games do a pretty good job of portraying Tokyo even though the setting in the games are fictional.
This is what I thought of when Choc mentioned that too.

Although Yakuza 2 is set in Osaka and 3 is set in Okinawa, but I hear they do a pretty good job with those too. I've been to both, so I really need to get around to playing Yakuza 2... and 3 if I ever buy a PS3.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Mar said:
Public transport is considerably cheaper at those distances, at least here in Sydney. $48 for a weekly 24/7 ticket for all buses and trains. Petrol for driving is over that already, without counting maintenance costs, insurance, rego etc. The real killer for me though (I've done both types, 4 years driving, 6 public transport), is that driving was about 4 billion times more stressful. I'd get to work wanting to murder people.

How come your work has dicked you around like that? Nothing you can do?

The idea is that they want to close down the major warehouse (where i work) and split it up between 2 store warehouses.

Public transport is $50 a week. So that's $2600 a year or i buy a single yearly ticket and it's $1800. As a 26yr old i honestly earn fuck all and having to spend 1800 or 2600 on PT doesn't appeal to me at all. So unless i get a sweet payrise, i'm going to have to take a hard look at what the heck i'm doing.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
$50 a week!?

Man. I pay that much a month. You live fairly far out, I take it?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
evlcookie said:
Yea i need a ticket with both zone 1 and 2.
Ah, right. I live right in the middle zone between the two zones, luckily.

markot

Banned
Zones are stupid, canberra had them for like a year, stupid liberal government put em in ages ago... I mean, a city the size of canberra >.>...

But yea its stupid, just makes people less likely to use public transport if they have long commutes and add more cars to ze rush hour traffic.

hamchan

Choc said:
From my office.

Also, i've been to London to visit the queen. Anyway enough of that. After arriving back from the UK I decided to fire up The getaway on PS2 and see just how accurate it is

its phenomonally accurate, there is so many places i saw in London (not just tourist attractions) which are in that game in the exact place, underground stations, train stations, bus areas, shops, things under construction etc

Totally awesome :) Anyone else had that kind of experience with a game and travelling?
Yakuza. Big brown hotel on the left side of Kamurocho was the hotel I stayed in.

legend166

Mar said:
Everything I've heard about that game hasn't been very positive. Be happy for it all to be wrong though. I'd love another good Metroid game.

I trust Jeremy Parish: http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3180732&p=44

I'm fine that it's not like Prime. I loved Prime, and we got three awesome games in that style. Time to move on, I think. Sure, it might turn out to be a failure, but at least they seem to be trying something different. I always have time for games that fail trying to do something different.

Mar

legend166 said:
I trust Jeremy Parish: http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3180732&p=44

I'm fine that it's not like Prime. I loved Prime, and we got three awesome games in that style. Time to move on, I think. Sure, it might turn out to be a failure, but at least they seem to be trying something different. I always have time for games that fail trying to do something different.

Sounds like we couldn't be more opposed. Jeremy Parish is probably my least trusted word on video games, and I disliked the Prime games.

I wants me some classic Metroid.

legend166

Mar said:
Sounds like we couldn't be more opposed. Jeremy Parish is probably my least trusted word on video games, and I disliked the Prime games.

I wants me some classic Metroid.

But the whole preview is about it being more classic Metroid and less Prime.

Mar

legend166 said:
But the whole preview is about it being more classic Metroid and less Prime.

I don't think it's either. The only reason people say it's 'more like classic Metroid' is because of the perspective. Instead, we seem to be getting a mix between Metroid, Prime, and Ninja Gaiden.

Again, why I don't believe a word that Parish utters.

Rahk

Mar said:
I don't think it's either. The only reason people say it's 'more like classic Metroid' is because of the perspective. Instead, we seem to be getting a mix between Metroid, Prime, and Ninja Gaiden.
Well, that sounds good to me.

Gazunta

Yeah, and to me he based his whole argument on the requirement (and struggle) of everyone going to and from the outer suburbs to one of five major cities in the country twice a day. Which...to me, is an increasingly outdated and old fashioned concept at least in the field of knowledge working, which is the majority of business in the cities.

I hold the hope that in 20 years not only will there be more than five major cities to base industry around, but less people on the roads since they're working from home.

hirokazu

Gazunta said:
Yeah, and to me he based his whole argument on the requirement (and struggle) of everyone going to and from the outer suburbs to one of five major cities in the country twice a day. Which...to me, is an increasingly outdated and old fashioned concept at least in the field of knowledge working, which is the majority of business in the cities.

I hold the hope that in 20 years not only will there be more than five major cities to base industry around, but less people on the roads since they're working from home.
Didn't they want to make Parramatta into a full-fledged twin city to Sydney to help relieve this problem? But the government's all talk and no action. They can start with the Epping to Parramatta rail link, I guess.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
As always with ABC it is online (both Dick Smith Population Puzzle and Q&A's Population debate).

Will check them both out now, but I basically agree with the giant space lesbian.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Choc said:
365games.co.uk have launched in Australia

ozgameshop.com

Really? This could be interesting. I think it's just another domain and frontend for 365games by the looks of it, claims it's free shipping to australia and nz instead of within both locations. But the $ value is in AUD by the looks of it.

Also physx and mafia killed my windows installation. No idea why but i now have corrupt files, well i did until i formatted and my restore of an old image failed, so now i'm back to square one.

Side note. Fuck my case is dusty, i need an air compressor asap.

evlcookie said:
Really? This could be interesting. I think it's just another domain and frontend for 365games by the looks of it, claims it's free shipping to australia and nz instead of within both locations. But the $ value is in AUD by the looks of it.

The site looks exactly the same just with a colour change :lol

Will be nice to browse in AUD prices tho.

Doesn't look like there is a price difference with the 365games site which is cool, only did a rough exchange tho.

Poona

evlcookie said:
I wouldn't be surprised if there was only a handful of actual ISPs around by the time the NBN comes out.

If it comes out (although is already in some of Tasmania).

It will only fully happen if Labor stays in power. If the Coalition wins they're going to scrap the NBN.

rass

Poona said:
If it comes out (although is already in some of Tasmania).

It will only fully happen if Labor stays in power. If the Coalition wins they're going to scrap the NBN.
If the coalition wins I'd be more concerned about Tony Abbott being in charge of the country than the NBN.

If they do go ahead how long is it supposed to take to roll out?

Clipper

Does anybody know anything of the new site http://www.hopshopgo.com ?

news.com.au put up a story about them yesterday and it seems too good to be true. Basically, it's tied to Paypal and they give you a US address so you can order from any online site in the US. The US sites ship to the US address, they ship to you. They can even combine shipments so you save on shipping.

This seems like a pretty great service if it actually works. I'm wary about it, though, given the potential for lost items. That's why I'd like to knoe if anybody else has heard about this from elsewhere...

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
There's actually a few services like that already and have been around for a while. Not sure why that particular one got a front page on news.com.au, maybe money for advertising i guess.

If it works well then awesome. Buying cheaper PC stuff could be nice from places like newegg but then there's the warranty.

giri

markot said:
That 20% discount is ridiculous >_< why favour people who can obviously pay by giving them a discount and not the poor sobs who cant?!

Obviously? I worked at maccas for the first year or 2 of uni, thats 100hours worth of pay (minimum deposit is 500 for the 20%). And that was each semester, while doing full time uni (which when done properly, is time consuming).

To me, that $500 took a lot of effort to get together each semester.

rass said:
If the coalition wins I'd be more concerned about Tony Abbott being in charge of the country than the NBN.

If they do go ahead how long is it supposed to take to roll out?

another 5 years+ or something stupid. I'm not opossed to the NBN, i'm opossed to the public paying for it and starting up another Telstra.

Oh, and you have no concerns about gillard being in power? gah, i'm no Tony fan, i think they're both very average candidates for the job.

Clipper

evlcookie said:
There's actually a few services like that already and have been around for a while. Not sure why that particular one got a front page on news.com.au, maybe money for advertising i guess.

If it works well then awesome. Buying cheaper PC stuff could be nice from places like newegg but then there's the warranty.
This one gives you discounts if you pay via Paypal, so I guess that's a plus. I'm a bit surprised I hadn't heard of something like this before, though. This will also make getting the US Club Nintendo prizes so much easier too, and I can actually put a real address on stuff like my PSN account too :).

I guess what really surprises me is that the whole service is free except for the shipping...

Agyar

Choc said:
365games.co.uk have launched in Australia

ozgameshop.com

They've had an AU eBay seller (which is called GameShopAU or something I believe) for a while as well. I don't believe anything has changed with supply chain, just localised pricing (which, if their eBay prices is anything to go by, usually saves you a tiny amount once you factor in currency conversion rates/foreign transaction fees).

rass

giri said:
Obviously? I worked at maccas for the first year or 2 of uni, thats 100hours worth of pay (minimum deposit is 500 for the 20%). And that was each semester, while doing full time uni (which when done properly, is time consuming).

To me, that $500 took a lot of effort to get together each semester.
I think he meant people who can afford to pay for the whole year upfront, I'm going to try and save for 1st year so I only get 2 years of HECS to deal with.
giri said:
Oh, and you have no concerns about gillard being in power? gah, i'm no Tony fan, i think they're both very average candidates for the job.
I don't want either of them in charge honestly, I just absolutely can't stand Abbott. Anyway, I'll shy away from political discussion in here though :)
even though I brought it up, soz

giri

rass said:
I think he meant people who can afford to pay for the whole year upfront, I'm going to try and save for 1st year so I only get 2 years of HECS to deal with.

It probably saves the government that much in handling the HELP debt if they pay it all off up front.

rass

giri said:
It probably saves the government that much in handling the HELP debt if they pay it all off up front.
hadn't thought of it that way, good point.

Baraka and 'an awesome book' just came in the mail - day saved!

Choc

Banned
LOL @ black ops special edition

RC-XD Video Surveillance Vehicle
Fully custom RC vehicle modeled after in-game RC-XD Killstreak Reward
Video camera to send wireless video to Transmitter
Microphone to send wireless audio to Transmitter
Digital proportional steering and throttle
Independent suspension
Display stand
RC-XD Transmitter
2” backlit TFT 220 x176 color screen to receive video from car
Integrated speaker to receive audio from car
Custom pistol grip style RC controller
High and low speed settings
Up to 200ft control range
Includes the full Call of Duty: Black Ops Hardened Edition
Limited edition Black Ops Collector’s Medal w/display case
4 extra playable co-op maps not in the standard edition
Black Ops Xbox Live avatar outfit
Premium, special-edition SteelBook™ case

$228

teekun

As someone who loves MW2's co-op missions, but couldn't care less about overpriced special editions, fuck you Activision.

Unless, of course, you can get those extra missions just by pre-ordering or something?

Well, there's a Hardened Edition which has everything except for the car - at least, in the US. Our stores don't seem to have proper listings for it up yet. It's a whole $70USD cheaper than the Prestige Edition at GameStop.

teekun

AnkhWeasel said:
Well, there's a Hardened Edition which has everything except for the car - at least, in the US. Our stores don't seem to have proper listings for it up yet. It's a whole $70USD cheaper than the Prestige Edition at GameStop.

Even that's too much. I don't need a steel case. I don't need an art book. I just want all the content that appeals to me with none of the other useless fluff :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom