• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real life fucks ups or embarassing situations because you couldn't stop playing games

Tell us about the time you didn't attend your brother's wedding because you were too busy playing Halo 3 or the time you screwed up your dreams of becoming a doctor because you stayed all night playing WoW before a final. Who's got some stories?

EDIT:...You can switch 'games' for GAF as well.

MechaX

I skipped my junior prom to play Digital Devil Saga 2 all night. That's pretty much the only real fuck up that I'll remember on this subject, and I'm still a little apathetic towards it due to the fact that dance-oriented parties tend to bore the hell out of me.

tabsina

Being woken up at my desk by my boss because I was playing a game, I can't even remember what it was now, all night

Most every year I tend to miss Christmas festivities (like going to the movies with the family) to instead play new games. This year though I have all the game I want so I will likely participate. :lol

I tend to regret it but the lure of a new game is STRONG :D

No specific incident, but I used to spend far too much time playing videogames to sustain good grades during my years in school.

glaurung

Fell asleep in the morning lecture and banged my head on the table after playing Dark Age of Camelot for 10h straight.

I had the best group of my MMO life running multiple times through the RvR dungeon. What great times.

Also, missed out a holiday meal because I was playing Metal Wolf Chaos.

HUELEN10

I got one. Totally missed a calculus exam because Sonic Rush Adventure came out that day. Played it for about 18 hours straight. Thank God he drops the lowest grade......

Pop On Arrival said:
Dropped out of HS for a year to play counter-strike.

;_;
Don't worry. I know a guy who never finished high school who works just enough hours as a bagger boy to have enough money to eat, live in a 1 room apartment, pay his internet connection and play CS.

HUELEN10

Date of Lies said:
Don't worry. I know a guy who never finished high school and work full time as a bagger boy to have just enough money to eat, live in a 1 room apartment, pay his internet connection and play CS.
It can't be that addictive, can it? (has never played cs)

HUELEN10 said:
well there's addictive games and then there's addictive personalities.

I used to have 1 and half hour lunch breaks where I would do the 1 hour subway ride just to play 30 minutes of CS. In my defense, it was a very boring lunch break but still.

Full Recovery said:
Well, was it worth it?

I was paid a salary and made a ton of friends, and right now, I'm nearly done with college. So yeah, I guess it was worth it. I wouldn't recommend doing it to anyone else I know, but eh, I enjoyed the experience.

Date of Lies said:

I used to have 1 and half hour lunch breaks where I would do the 1 hour subway ride just to play 30 minutes of CS. In my defense, it was a very boring lunch break but still.

So, you were always late returning to work?

glaurung

HUELEN10 said:

One of old course mates dropped out of college and spent all his student loan on MTG card sets. But he used to overdo pretty much anything, the year before that he spent a 100h a week to play Zangband.

Pop On Arrival said:
I was paid a salary and made a ton of friends, and right now, I'm nearly done with college. So yeah, I guess it was worth it. I wouldn't recommend doing it to anyone else I know, but eh, I enjoyed the experience.

At least things turned out well for you. I can imagine that destroying the lives of others who would dare attempt such a thing.

HUELEN10

Date of Lies said:

I guess you are right about the addictive personalities thing. Then again, I think everyone has a "vice".

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Pop On Arrival said:
You were a pro gamer?

DoomGyver

Funny how everything in life needs a stable balance, one thing out of proportion and you're generally going to be unsatisfied in one way or another.

`Moe Joe.

Banned
I don't know if he does this every day, but I have gone to the shopping center 3 times this week, each time in the afternoon. Every time I have passed EB Games, the same 20 + year old dude has been hogging the guitar hero with a line of kids behind him.

It may be coincidental, he may have gone to the shops with his Girlfriend or family member and is waiting for them, but if he goes to the shops just to play the
PS2 version
of Guitar Hero, that would be an embarrassing situation.

I'll take it as coincidental, though.

sykoex said:
You were a pro gamer?

Nah, nothing that glamorous I'm afraid. This dood who owned a LAN shop just started paying as money to turn his ginormous cafe into a CS gambling hub. As long as he paid our team, we would play in his cafe and attract lots of folks to come watch/play too.

No fancy sponsors or anything.

The only game to ever elicit symptoms of Carpal Tunnel: Deus Ex. And I kept playing.

Listing the games I've played instead of doing school work would take forever.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Education:

I realised at the beginning of 2004 that videogaming would cause me to fail my second year of college. So I deleted everything except from Factor X (the free game by Fallen Angel Industries) from my hard drive. I barely passed. The arcade mode is a fucking timesink.

I also nearly failed my third year due to Morrowind addiction. But I managed to finish all four years.

Work:

In 2002 when I worked at McDonalds, I burned myself on the hand (I have a scar of it) because I spent the whole night developing and testing my RPG Maker 2000 game. I fell asleep at the fry station and you can guess the rest.

industrian said:
Education:

I realised at the beginning of 2004 that videogaming would cause me to fail my second year of college. So I deleted everything except from Factor X (the free game by Fallen Angel Industries) from my hard drive. I barely passed. The arcade mode is a fucking timesink.

I also nearly failed my third year due to Morrowind addiction. But I managed to finish all four years.

Work:

In 2002 when I worked at McDonalds, I burned myself on the hand (I have a scar of it) because I spent the whole night developing and testing my RPG Maker 2000 game. I fell asleep at the fry station and you can guess the rest.

OUCH OUCH OUCH OUCH OUCH!

Fry station, it wasn't oil was it?

*shudders* don't even want to think of that.

Zyzyxxz

Never let games really mess up my life, Sure sometimes I sleep a little later but never all nighters. I like me sleep.

The worst I've done is play games instead of study for a final and then winged a final.

That was more of a personality thing though since sometimes I would browse GAF instead of studying.

HUELEN10

MvmntInGrn said:

It was probably shortening, or another solid lipid, which needs to be even hotter. DAMN.

AniHawk

When I was 13, I didn't do my pre-Algebra homework one night because spent those three hours playing Ocarina of Time, which I had just purchased. Got a D on the homework the next day since I did try to finish some of it (didn't care though. Got an A in the class).

This happened to a former coworker of mine. She was (still might be) a huge WoW addict. I had to work a normal 8.5 hour shift (Gamestop doesn't pay for the half-hour lunch), but my manager had car troubles and couldn't get there. No other store could spare anyone, and the ASM couldn't make it either. So I was basically gonna spend 9 hours working alone. My coworker was supposed to come in at 6, but by 6:30, she wasn't there. I called her and she thought I was calling her at 6:30 AM, since it was dark outside. Apparently she'd gone to bed somewhere around 5-6 AM because she was up all night playing WoW.

AniHawk said:
When I was 13, I didn't do my pre-Algebra homework one night because spent those three hours playing Ocarina of Time, which I had just purchased. Got a D on the homework the next day since I did try to finish some of it (didn't care though. Got an A in the class).

This happened to a former coworker of mine. She was (still might be) a huge WoW addict. I had to work a normal 8.5 hour shift (Gamestop doesn't pay for the half-hour lunch), but my manager had car troubles and couldn't get there. No other store could spare anyone, and the ASM couldn't make it either. So I was basically gonna spend 9 hours working alone. My coworker was supposed to come in at 6, but by 6:30, she wasn't there. I called her and she thought I was calling her at 6:30 AM, since it was dark outside. Apparently she'd gone to bed somewhere around 5-6 AM because she was up all night playing WoW.

I think most retailers do that. I know Target doesn't pay for the forty-five minute breaks.

Gomu Gomu

Last semester I played too much CoD5, which resulted in me taking 2 F grades, & a single D.

Now, I pretty much hate online multiplayer gaming.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
MvmntInGrn said:

HUELEN10 said:
It was probably shortening, or another solid lipid, which needs to be even hotter. DAMN.

Shortening iirc. My memory of working for McDs is slightly hazy even though I spent almost 4 years there (yay alcoholism.)

The incident was simply this: one of the cages uses for the fries made contact with my hand (after if had being getting fried for 2~ minutes), I instinctively move my hand away from it causing my hand to get slightly submerged in the fryer, and then my brain wakes up and I go running for the cold water tap.

Haruspex

Banned
Once I was so immersed in a game of Terrence Mountbatten III's Orcs and Ghoulish Nasty Thangs that I shat myself and wallowed in it for several hours.

Or I usually turn games off after an hour or so because I get bored/drained.

DoomGyver

Haruspex said:
Once I was so immersed in a game of Terrence Mountbatten III's Orcs and Ghoulish Nasty Thangs that I shat myself and wallowed in it for several hours.

Or I usually turn games off after an hour or so because I get bored/drained.
You have got to be shitting me.

That's crazy.

Only thing I could think of was staying up all night playing Puzzle Fighter on Dreamcast and getting an 18 on the ACT. I messed up on the retake too, but I'm in a good college with a 3.1 GPA, so it was ok.

schild

Haruspex said:

Winner winner chicken dinner.

Date of Lies said:
or the time you screwed up your dreams of becoming a doctor because you stayed all night playing WoW before a final.

Pretty much this, but exchange WOW with CS and DOD.. Through the whole last two years of school.

Hajaz

back when i was playing planetarion with Fury (r3-6) i used to get textmessages from my alliance/galmates to notify me that i had to launch an attack/defence within the hour or so, often when out clubbing with RL friends 50 miles or so from home.
Was pretty hard to explain to them why we had to drop all drinks, get in the car and race home asap.

i still get harassed for it by some of them

My cousin also ran into a telephone pole at full speed due to sleep deprivation from playing that game

Top Bottom