• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real life fucks ups or embarassing situations because you couldn't stop playing games

Haruspex said:
Once I was so immersed in a game of Terrence Mountbatten III's Orcs and Ghoulish Nasty Thangs that I shat myself and wallowed in it for several hours.

Or I usually turn games off after an hour or so because I get bored/drained.
This takes the cake :lol

HUELEN10

Gamecocks625 said:
I forgot to pick my sister up from school one day when I was at Toys R Us playing the Super Mario 64 demo unit for the first time.
But that is entirely forgivable and expected.

Corum

LCfiner said:
this thread is :eek:

people dropping out of school, sleeping at work, shitting their pants.

Mother of God.

boringxmasAV.jpg

For some obscene reason as exam time approaches, I have an urge to get back into whatever game I had previously quit like 6 months ago (typically WoW) then as soon as the exams pass I quit again.

It's like I'm trying to fail...

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
_dementia said:
gaf causes me more IRL anguish than games

That gives me the idea for a new thread: Real life fucks ups or embarassing situations because of GAF.

OT probably has at least five of those threads though.

RyuHayate

I forgot to call my godmother and wish her a Happy Birthday because I was too busy playing the addictive Resident Evil 4.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
I had to finish some art class homework in HS to pass the subject, and not passing that subject would mean I wouldn't pass the year and would have to repeat. So I just played the Game Boy (Pokemon TCG, even though it gave me horrible headaches) nonstop and didn't do shit.
Somehow they fucked up my grades and I ended with a 10 (equivalent of your A) in the subject :lol :lol :lol

hokahey

Yeah, I'd have to mix drugs in to the equation. Drug fueled gaming benders resulted in a lot of real life fuck ups when I was a wee lad.

Cheech

I was up WAY too late playing Phantasy Star II.

I hear someone coming down the stairs, so I quickly shut the TV off and hide behind a chair.

The light had been off and it was dead quiet, so I was pretty sure I'd gotten away with it. And I did! Unfortunately....

The person who was coming downstairs was my mother, who did not want to wake my father with a bout of the most unholy explosive diarrhea I have ever heard. I couldn't even look her in the face the next AM. :lol

Keikoku

Banned
I was playing FF12 while the electrician was doing some works at my home. Then the guy came to my room and asked me if he could put the electricity off to do some stuff, but I needed to save first ! I made him wait for like 20mns until I get back to the save point :lol

Also, I didn't go to HS for a week because I was playing The Wind Waker.

Ashour

The last day of LBP beta (the 1st day for me) I played until 6 AM, knowing it was impossible to go to work, I called sick, the management weren’t very happy that day and decided to give me an absent instead and toke that day out of my next month’s payment (but it was totally worth it).

Ledsen

Ashour said:
The last day of LBP beta (the 1st day for me) I played until 6 AM, knowing it was impossible to go to work, I called sick, the management weren’t very happy that day and decided to give me an absent instead and toke that day out of my next month’s payment (but it was totally worth it).

Did they have any reason for that? Or are you usually a lazy bastard calling in sick on a regular basis (no offence but that does sound weird) :lol

Durandal

Banned
When i was in the military and training for yugoslavia, i was on guard and played mega man on gameboy. I was so focused into the game that my seargent managed to creep up on me and steal my rifle (twas night). Handed it to me next morning in front of the whole platoon. Till the end of my period i never heard the end of it.

andymcc

Banned
Slept through work pretty recently due tobprince of persia and persona 4...

Back in HS I had a gf break up with me over my other GFs. (lol bad ffviii joke)

Dabanton

HUELEN10 said:
It can't be that addictive, can it? (has never played cs)

It can be addictive if you become a stat whore i was on the way to becoming one pulled back though almost lost my gf because of the amount of time i was playing CS:S.

Now i can play it now and not worry about silliness like stats.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Fuck ups? Worse recently was probably forgetting to go to a class and meet my friend for lunch because I was playing Pixeljunk Monsters with my roommate the day I got it. I completely lost track of time. There were probably worse ones in middleschool/highschool though. I can pull myself away from games really easily (aside from L4D, my dudes are counting on me!), but back then it was more difficult. I just don't remember any specific times I made a fuckup because of it, besides for little things my parents asked me to do that eventually did get done.

DrPirate

Banned
Date of Lies said:
your dreams of becoming a doctor because you stayed all night playing WoW before a final. Who's got some stories?

EDIT:...You can switch 'games' for GAF as well.

Sadly enough. This was ALMOST true one semester. I now do not have video game consoles in my dorm.

womfalcs3

Banned
It seems like the more games I play, the better my grades are.

I'm not kidding. It's been a trend now since 2006. My GPA has increased with the amount of time I spend gaming. This and courses have become considerably harder with time.

RavenFox

Banned
Full Recovery said:
Wow your avatar is, Ugh.
Was about to say the same thing. I live in NY.

Super Mario 3. I was in High School at the time and my friend lent me his copy. I sneaked out of school early and went home to play it. Ended up blowing out my parents Zenith set. First and Last time I ever did that.

comrade

I also was addicted to CS. Was CS 1.3 when I was back in HS. I used to play from the moment I got home from school until when my parents would kick me off at about 12am. I'd then wake back up at about 2-3am and play until I had to take a shower at 6:30. This went on for months until I just about failed every class. Luckily I got over the addiction.

Ledsen

womfalcs3 said:
It seems like the more games I play, the better my grades are.

I'm not kidding. It's been a trend now since 2006. My GPA has increased with the amount of time I spend gaming. This and courses have become considerably harder with time.

More gaming = less drinking and partying maybe? :D

Ronabo

I burnt my ass while playing Phantasy Star Online on Xbox Live. I was laying on my waterbed and I just happened to have part of my ass on one of the heating elements. I was so into the game, playing with friends that I didn't notice my ass was burning till it was too late. I ended up with a blister on my right ass cheek. Yep. Hurt like hell.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Not me, but not long after I got my Wii a friend popped over, popped some ecstasy, and stayed awake playing Wii Sports Tennis for nearly 24 hours straight.

No exaggeration either. It was the first time he played a Wii and was quite impressed with the whole tennis thing. The E kicked in and he was pinging the rest of the day, the whole night, and until he finally put down the controller and went home.

If it wasn't nearly 24 hours it was over. It was really quite incredible the amount he played. His score was also rather high.

He felt it for a week.

As for me, the worst is breaking / dislocating one of my knuckles thanks to Smash Bros. Melee. I can usually control my temper, but that game made me nerd rage like no other. Took out my brutal game hatred on the telly, punching it as hard as I could.

Wasn't exactly proud to tell people why my hand was fucked.

Benson

I missed an exam because of Ultima Online, a house full of rares was about to decay and I just couldn't bring myself to leave. Luckily I was able to re-sit the exam at a later date, so it wasn't too big of a fuck up but still felt pretty bad about it.

womfalcs3

Banned
Ledsen said:
More gaming = less drinking and partying maybe? :D

I still party and drink at the same rate, which is never. I think it has to do with the compounded stress that was added to me realizing I'm spending more time playing than I am studying. That stress may have gave me a sense of urgency to perform better during the times I was studying.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
1- I missed a new year party to beat Resident Evil 3
2- A girl ask me to sleep with her and i rejected her because i was bussy playing The King Of Fighters 98
3- This year i cancelled a work meeting and took the day off to enjoy MGS4
4- I skipped like one month of school to play KOF 97,98,99

industrian said:
That gives me the idea for a new thread: Real life fucks ups or embarassing situations because of GAF.

OT probably has at least five of those threads though.
One guy posted on GAF in a strip club last night so, yeah.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I always ALWAYS burn food because I can't put my DS down.

Gamble

I missed a friends Birthday party last night because I was in an instance on WoW, and I missed playing a match of EndWar last night again because I was in an instance in WoW.....:lol

`Moe Joe. said:
I don't know if he does this every day, but I have gone to the shopping center 3 times this week, each time in the afternoon. Every time I have passed EB Games, the same 20 + year old dude has been hogging the guitar hero with a line of kids behind him.

It may be coincidental, he may have gone to the shops with his Girlfriend or family member and is waiting for them, but if he goes to the shops just to play the
PS2 version
of Guitar Hero, that would be an embarrassing situation.

I'll take it as coincidental, though.

I'd follow up on that situation some more. Could be an interesting observation to start.

I was hooked on Oblivion for a few solid weeks after its release and during that time, I barely slept at all. I would show up to school dead tired and there were instances when I would take naps in classes and start talking about the game in my sleep. I remember waking up and all my friends(most who arent big gamers) and everyone else in the class just staring at me like I was psycho or something.

I almost didn't meet my first gf because of WoW addiction. Decided to go out with her and looking back had 9 great months with her. She freaked out one day and broke up with me. She proceeded to try to get back together with me for an entire year and I ignored her. After we sort of kept flip flopping for another year on whether we wanted to go back out together, she finally went to school to another far away state and found a new boyfriend.

I was a fool, and I wish I hadn't lost her. I haven't met a girl that has matched her since.

Oh and I almost failed Calc I somehow in college because of raiding. I love raiding in WoW to death, but I just can't juggle school with the game.

Fireblend

Banned
I spent like 6 months of my life exclusively playing Ragnarok Online at least 12 hours a day; it had no major consequences on my HS grades, but yeah, wasted a ton of time on that.

rezuth

Around 99 I was hardcore playing CS on a modem. Eventually racking up the phone bill to €1200... I was not allowed to play for a loooong while. :lol

Edit: Oh yea, it also costed me a lot of school hours but I was not really enjoying school at that time because they really had no interest in helping me with my problems. I eventually graduated and my score was pretty much 60% A and 40% F, nothing in the middle. That is me in a nutshell, either great at something or awful at it.

Top Bottom