• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real life fucks ups or embarassing situations because you couldn't stop playing games

Wilsongt

Eh, instead of studying an extra hour for my Organic II final, I used that hour to play Shining Force III instead. I ended up failing the exam, and instead of getting an A in the class, I got a B.

You can game hardcore and still get good grades. It's not even difficult. I played WoW 8-15 hours a day and made the Dean's List. As long as you go to class and take notes, you don't have to spend more than 20 minutes studying for a test, and in most classes you don't need to do any of the reading. It's all about showing up to class. And considering most classes are in the morning or afternoon, it's not like there's that much going on online that you're missing by going to class. Really, if you expend any effort at all, it's nearly impossible to fail out.

womfalcs3 said:
It seems like the more games I play, the better my grades are.

I'm not kidding. It's been a trend now since 2006. My GPA has increased with the amount of time I spend gaming. This and courses have become considerably harder with time.
Combined with the post above, the key to success in post-secondary school is time management. Same reason why grades tend to improve when you get a job during college.

Djanvk

Neo Member
Nothing really major for me, just been late for work due to gaming and of course the good fights with the wife about gaming instead of sleeping with her you know basic stuff. She is actually more receptive to games now.

in my first 3D job, I told my boss I would make up for my hours on the week-end,

so I show up to work and had Half-Life 1 glaring on my PC when my boss walked in the show his girlfriend his studio

LOL, talk about getting caught

vireland

My shame was serious Goldeneye addiction.

I was personally SO utterly and completely addicted to that game, it made Alundra late. (insert Working Delays joke here) WD games were often delayed due to recording or polishing or technical problems or whatever, but this was the ONLY time that happened because of another game - an N64 game, no less.

Speaks volumes about the greatness of that game design.

VegaShinra

I skipped a friends 21st b-day party for the Gears of War 2 launch. Too bad the multiplayer wasn't worth it. Should have got drunk instead.

Beardz

I was 5 years old, I was playing at the arcades... atari arcades actually, so I wanted to pee really bad, but I didn't wanted to quit playing, so I thought: "Im going to pee just a little, then little more right here" When I started to pee, I couln't stop... my pants were all wet... yeah =/

Esch

Banned
You know, all this talk of gaming and drugs makes me realize something:

As a rabid gamer and someone who occasionally dabbles in narcotics, I have never played videogames under the influence. It just has never happened. That's fucking strange, now that I think about it. Do you guys do this?

Huh.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
EschatonDX said:

As a rabid gamer and someone who occasionally dabbles in narcotics, I have never played videogames under the influence. It just has never happened. That's fucking strange, now that I think about it. Do you guys do this?

Huh.
:lol I'm guessing you've never played an online game? People can never shut up about how high they are.

Nafai1123

Banned
EschatonDX said:

Huh.

Wow, really?

Weed + games = best thing ever

A friend of mine has recently started playing Ragnarok for like 8 hours/day. I'm thinking we should have an intervention...

MisterHero

I played DDR a night before a college semester started and hurt my ankle

I was in so much pain I didn't get any sleep.

as a result, the teacher thought I was high

Esch

Banned
sykoex said:
:lol I'm guessing you've never played an online game? People can never shut up about how high they are.

True story, but my first policy regarding online gaming is: "mute anybody who's obnoxious or loud in any way", so I guess i end up not thinking about it in the end.

Wow, really?

A friend of mine has recently started playing Ragnarok for like 8 hours/day. I'm thinking we should have an intervention...

I just never gave it a whirl. Maybe i'll fire up LittleBigPlanet and...something else tonight.

Mandewd

Neo Member
I was watching Gothica with this cute asian girl (was probably 16 or 17 at the time) and we were having a nice snugglefest. Suddenly I couldn't help but start thinking about Civ 4. 15 minutes later, I sit up, essentially pushing this cute girl aside, I stand up and my 6-7 friends in the room look at me, the asian girl looks upset. "Sorry, I just gotta play," and I begin to leave. Only one of my friends knew what I was talking about at the time, "are you fucking kidding dude?" The next four hours are spent defending my lands from the Persians.

hyduK

Banned
Nafai1123 said:
Wow, really?

I dunno, whenever I've logged on WoW drunk or high I end up just running around in circles in IF.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
HUELEN10 said:
It can't be that addictive, can it? (has never played cs)

I don't know about cs, but I'm currently suffering from a very VERY serious and unhealthy addiction to CoD:W@W, which I hear shares similar things to CS that makes it addicting. It's very hard to stop playing CoD Team Death Match

Rikyfree

Man after reading these, my fuckups don't seem so bad. The worst I ever did was fail a quarter at college, junior college, though so its cheap.
I was watching Gothica with this cute asian girl (was probably 16 or 17 at the time) and we were having a nice snugglefest. Suddenly I couldn't help but start thinking about Civ 4. 15 minutes later, I sit up, essentially pushing this cute girl aside, I stand up and my 6-7 friends in the room look at me, the asian girl looks upset. "Sorry, I just gotta play," and I begin to leave. Only one of my friends knew what I was talking about at the time, "are you fucking kidding dude?" The next four hours are spent defending my lands from the Persians.
I'm not even going to give this the dignity of a well thought out response.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Well, last semester I skipped a bunch of classes to play some games, but I never really missed anything too important. And I think it probably had more to do with me hating my classes more than me being addicted to videogames.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
isamu said:
I don't know about cs, but I'm currently suffering from a very VERY serious and unhealthy addiction to CoD:W@W, which I hear shares similar things to CS that makes it addicting. It's very hard to stop playing CoD Team Death Match
Were you into competitive FPS games before WaW?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
This is truly embarrassing:

On almost 40 different occasions, I have passed up "relations" in order to play Smash Bros Melee.

I'm literally crazy competitive in Melee. Crazy. :(

Osuwari

i haven't had any massive real life fuck ups because of gaming so far.

i've had the usual "stayed up late playing game x" happen to me a few times and stuff but nothing big. i would say being lazy has been more damaging for me than playing games (my laziness is so bad it even cuts into games and i'm lazy to play games sometimes)

Anony

FutureZombie said:
You can game hardcore and still get good grades. It's not even difficult. I played WoW 8-15 hours a day and made the Dean's List. As long as you go to class and take notes, you don't have to spend more than 20 minutes studying for a test, and in most classes you don't need to do any of the reading. It's all about showing up to class. And considering most classes are in the morning or afternoon, it's not like there's that much going on online that you're missing by going to class. Really, if you expend any effort at all, it's nearly impossible to fail out.

lol artsci program, you probably have have, 7 hours of school per week?

try 35 hours of school per week NOT including doing homework and projects and programming
engineering is a killer

Vinsanity

When I was younger, I use to sneak out of Sunday school so I can play SF II at the liquor store across the street. And now I'm going to go to hell. :p

Man, some of these posts are scary. Is it bad that I can't tell if people are being truthful or not?

Nafai1123 said:
Wow, really?

Oh man, way back when in college my dorm buds and I would smoke out before playing Half Life Deathmatch. All I would hear from my roommate was... "Dude, I can totally hear them trying to sneak up on me..." over and over again. Shit was hilarious.

bombshack

Neo Member
lol, if CS is like crack, WaW has to be refined Cocaine.

Non stop recycling servers that run maps that demands you to learn the ins and outs, placement of all the good camping spots/approaches to circle around the enemy, figuring out the behaviours of the different guns, which perks will optimize you delivering death while expending the least amount of bullets so you can stay alive and keep killing, etc. etc.

Not to mention the challenges system is like a mini achievement system so for completionists, you WANT to hit 65 so you can do all those different things. A FPS game that rewards you for playing, and the more you play, the more you get rewarded ie. unlocking better guns/perks.

If this game came out in the place of Day of Defeat, I think we would have the most addictive FPS game ever. Things are different now though, so it's probably less likely to have another FPS game become as widespread as CS.

Esch

Banned
lol, i played HL2 tonight. Awesome experience while well, you know D:. Pretty cool, will do more from now on.

Well, most recently with Persona 4 I didn't really shower for a couple days; it was play, sleep, wake up, play, repeat (with food breaks in between).

lolz.

Not joking, unfortunately...but that's what happens when you have free time! :D The hot shower felt sooooo good, and it's not like I was dirty...maybe a little smelly, though

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
isamu said:

Find someone better than you who will grief you continuously.

ph15h

Neo Member
My friend was playing his DS during his graduation but didn't notice that his row moved and the activities coordinator just told them to leave him. -_- What a dumbass... Watching that from the audience was embarassing.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Probably missing a shit ton of school/classes and work due to PSO.

Somehow managed without any serious repercussions, though. And I had a legit Spread Needle and Dual Saber well before the duping hit. So awesome.

Got in a huge fight with my dad when he threatened to drop the internet. It was part on principal, since the fucking internet rules and we may as well move into a cave, and in large part due to being addicted to the RO beta at the time.

eso76

most embarassing moment...my 5 or 6th birthday party. My parents invited all my classmates and thought of many games we could play, with small prizes for everyone. they were great. Everyone brought presents, but this girl i happened to have a crush on brought me some handheld nintendo videogame. I forgot about everyone else, lost interest in every other present and sat in a corner of the room playing with it all the time. I'm not sure i even noticed when everyone left.

Lately, i had a bad case of addiction to geometry wars 2. So bad i would tell my girlfriend i am coming to sleep right after that last game and instead went on playing for 3 hours. I sometimes found myself wishing for a blackout, since i really couldn't detach from that game otherwise

Mandewd

Neo Member
eso76 said:
most embarassing moment...my 5 or 6th birthday party. My parents invited all my classmates and thought of many games we could play, with small prizes for everyone. they were great. Everyone brought presents, but this girl i happened to have a crush on brought me some handheld nintendo videogame. I forgot about everyone else, lost interest in every other present and sat in a corner of the room playing with it all the time. I'm not sure i even noticed when everyone left.

Lately, i had a bad case of addiction to geometry wars 2. So bad i would tell my girlfriend i am coming to sleep right after that last game and instead went on playing for 3 hours. I sometimes found myself wishing for a blackout, since i really couldn't detach from that game otherwise

holy crap i was at your birthday party =0
lol similar situation, except we all played goldeneye while the birthday boy played pokemon

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
EschatonDX said:

I took acid and played Rainbow Six: Vegas. It scared the living shit out of me.

Then I played Oblivion and spent a good 20 minutes buying arrows, circling trees, and continuously shooting arrows into them.

Then the mudcrabs scared me.

Mandewd

Neo Member
Mode said:
I skipped finals during my senior year of HS to play Counterstrike. ... unfortunately my K/D ratio for that day was 0.1 and I never graduated high school... or went to college... or got a job.... or became a video game champion...

so now, 12 years later I'm thirty and dirty, but I own an Xbox 360 at least... :(

Will someone plz donate me an HDTV? Anime is being aired in HD now, and my regular TV isn't enough to handle the greatness of Naruto.

my dog died today and this made me sadder than his death

Rikyfree

EatChildren said:
I took acid and played Rainbow Six: Vegas. It scared the living shit out of me.

Then I played Oblivion and spent a good 20 minutes buying arrows, circling trees, and continuously shooting arrows into them.

Then the mudcrabs scared me.
LMAO :lol

Tetsuo9

dragonlife29 said:
Well, most recently with Persona 4 I didn't really shower for a couple days; it was play, sleep, wake up, play, repeat (with food breaks in between).

lolz.

Not joking, unfortunately...but that's what happens when you have free time! :D The hot shower felt sooooo good, and it's not like I was dirty...maybe a little smelly, though
I slept 3 hours a day for a week because of that game, I was spacy at work but It wasn't a very big deal. Tho I tend to do that for every major jrpg release :(.

Not mine, but I remember McBacon telling me about his girlfriend dumping him because he was playing too much Super Smash Bros Melee.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
sykoex said:
Were you into competitive FPS games before WaW?

Nah, I play mostly racing games. I've never really explored this genre other than Orange Box, Bioshock, and Gears. But now I want to play CoD5 TDM day and night. It's just all kinds of bananas.

The scary thing is I hear Modern Warfare is even more fun than W@W.

Mr YuYu

when i was in secondary school i used to get up at 4 am to study both my exams that i had in the morning.

The year Zelda: ocarina of time came out i got up at 4 am to play the game instead of studying.

I had to redo my whole year. I can remember getting 16% for chemistry...

Top Bottom