• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Worldwide VC, WiiWare, & DSiWare Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinci

Danish
Deadly Monk said:
Yeah. I'll consider it. First I need to buy more points.

Sweet. I'll send you my details later.

FWIW, I love Matsuno's work as well and was planning to buy it one way or another.

Dave Long

Banned
We need bigger fridges!

But this is awesome... the Virtual Console and WiiWare have a treasure trove of superb gaming available through them. People who complain about these services really aren't looking at the bigger picture. Nintendo is doing a fine job supporting these services.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Oh boy it's Monday! Time to check the weekly Virtual Console bitchfest.

*enters thread, sees Ogre Battle*

107s290.gif
s1telt.gif
107s290.gif
s1telt.gif
107s290.gif
s1telt.gif

107s290.gif
s1telt.gif
107s290.gif
s1telt.gif
107s290.gif
s1telt.gif

BEST. VC. UPDATE. EVER. Twelve dancing Miyakos out of five!!

*goes to Wii and notices he only has 700 points*

MATSUNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Vinci

Danish
Dave Long said:
We need bigger fridges!

But this is awesome... the Virtual Console and WiiWare have a treasure trove of superb gaming available through them. People who complain about these services really aren't looking at the bigger picture. Nintendo is doing a fine job supporting these services.

Your first comment mitigates the following paragraph to some extent.

Dave Long

Banned
Sort of... but I can download NES/SNES/GEN/TG-16 games anytime really. I don't mind that part so much. The WiiWare is the bigger problem.

Johann

Teknoman said:
I've always wondered...how is Ogre Battle SNES "Episode 5" anyway?

In addition to the whole Star Wars thing, each episode concentrates on a particular theater or era of war. For example, the Korean War would be one episode as in the over-arching Cold War.

Maybe, I should gift a copy to my brother.

Everyone should gift this game. The power of F. Mercury and zombie Matsuno compels you!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Johann said:
In addition to the whole Star Wars thing, each episode concentrates on a particular theater or era of war. For example, the Korean War would be one episode as in the over-arching Cold War.

Maybe, I should gift a copy to my brother.

Everyone should gift this game. The power of F. Mercury and zombie Matsuno compels you!

How about you gift it to me since I'm obviously lacking one-hundred points? I'll give an NES game of your choice in return.

5435-9263-4481-0169

Ogre Battle bought. I can't think of a single SRPG I've played to the end, but they're fun until my patience wears thin. :lol

Edit: I would like to profusely apologize for the rhyming in the previous sentence. It was not proofread and I hope you will accept my repentance. Goddamit!!!

Yes Boss!

Dave Long said:
We need bigger fridges!

No shit, M.U.S.H.A. and Gleylancer and Ogre Battle in the space of three months. These are the types of games I was hoping to see as the VC matured and they are arriving!

Ogre Battle is mine :D Here's hoping for Smash Bros next week (Oh come on, it's the one year anniversary of SSBB's launch, the days even match up perfectly!)

GhostSeed

Someone was telling me today that Ys I & II doesn't have the crappy blur filter like all the other TG16 games on VC. Is this true?

Yaweee

So, now that I'm buying more VC games, how do I register my Wii and games so that if something happens to my system I can retain my games? Can I use an online interface to add Wii points, or can I only do that through the console?

Teknoman

Regulus Tera said:
How about you gift it to me since I'm obviously lacking one-hundred points? I'll give an NES game of your choice in return.

5435-9263-4481-0169

I'd take a gift myself. Only got 400pts left over.

Volcynika

Yaweee said:
So, now that I'm buying more VC games, how do I register my Wii and games so that if something happens to my system I can retain my games? Can I use an online interface to add Wii points, or can I only do that through the console?

I linked it to my MyNintendo account thing.

Lee N

Membre
Turns out Hudson is releasing two Sudoku games for DSi Ware march 18th. The first one is aimed at beginners and contains 50 puzzles for 200 points. The second one is for more advanced Sudoku players and contains 150 puzzles for 500 points.

http://www.hudson.co.jp/gamenavi/gamedb/index.cgi?mode=query_com&com=DSiw&board=board_DSiw

The interesting thing with this is that march 18th is a week before the date Bandai-Namco announced for Korogashi Puzzle Katamari Damacy.

So, did Hudson screw up or does this mean that we'll be getting DSi Ware releases every week starting this month?

Lee N said:
Turns out Hudson is releasing two Sudoku games for DSi Ware march 18th. The first one is aimed at beginners and contains 50 puzzles for 200 points. The second one is for more advanced Sudoku players and contains 150 puzzles for 500 points.

http://www.hudson.co.jp/gamenavi/gamedb/index.cgi?mode=query_com&com=DSiw&board=board_DSiw

The interesting thing with this is that march 18th is a week before the date Bandai-Namco announced for Korogashi Puzzle Katamari Damacy.

So, did Hudson screw up or does this mean that we'll be getting DSi Ware releases every week starting this month?

Ah, I knew we'd see a Sudoku game for DSiWare.

And I hope we'll be getting weekly releases from now on.

Yes Boss!

Lee N said:

Wait, Hudson coded a Sudoku that was released over here on a cart under the Touch Generations line published by Nintendo. I've a feeling this might just be that title broken apart in little chunks.

51HHACSAJ7L_SL500_AA280_.jpg

Jiggy

Just started Ogre Battle and immediately got a reminder of how much I love the randomly-generated names in this game, because what should I find in my initial army but this:

25evf5g.png

None shall stand before Pizza the Wizard!

Edit: What have I done?

I went on a recruiting spree to see more names since there's no cheaper time to do it, and now I've got 85 units (out of a maximum 100) straight out of chapter 1 and have to make the brutal decision of which units I'll dismiss and which I'll actually go with since there's so much awesomeness. From Chibi to Young, Queen and Tiara to Cube and Goose, Peline to Amalgan, Shoko to Shaker, Tilala and Sophine to Yacob and Lark, Cosmos to Steele, and Kologne to Carabel, this is going to be a hard call. :O

Dave Long said:
Actually, as far as I can tell, the ones complaining are usually doing so because they're looking at a bigger picture than those who aren't. For example:

Smaller picture: How many AAA games have yet to be released?
Bigger picture: How many AAA games, AA games, A games, and B games have yet to be released?

Smaller picture: What does the pace of one game per week mean for the systems that are currently supported?
Bigger picture: What does the pace of one game per week mean for systems that may become supported in the future?

Exactly which standpoint is healthier and/or more productive, I don't know or care, but the ones who haven't raised many criticisms seem to mostly be those who are focused on the actualities of the past and present without considering the possibilities of the future--and that's a smaller scope pretty much by definition.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I knew it wouldn't take Jiggy long to fall back into complain mode.

FACT: In the now there are awesome games on the VC.

FACT: In the future there will be more awesome games on the VC.

That's all there is to it, baby.

Man God said:

FACT: In the now there are awesome games on the VC.

FACT: In the future there will be more awesome games on the VC.

That's all there is to it, baby.

Nothing wrong with complaining about the lack of games coming out. Ogre Battle IS a great game, no questions. But one VC title a week is still putrid on the part of NOA. NCL seems to be managing just fine with multiple Wiiware AND VC releases.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Blame NCL then, as NOA takes its marching orders from them. :lol

One classic game a week> No game per week, so you won't hear me complain. Each week the library grows.

Somnid

Japan has a lot more games (over 100 more) but last time I checked the number of Japanese unlocalized games on their side was roughly equivalent to the discrepancy. There's only 3 western publishers IIRC: Factor 5 (now dead), Interplay, and Commodore Gaming and unsurprisingly most of those games Japan doesn't have but it's a service dominated by Japanese publishers. You're looking at the past where such a thing was common and also at the present where Western digital distribution models are much more fleshed out and therefore there is significantly more competition for where the content goes (Steam, Gametap, etc.) and more publishers are starting to start up their own. EA for example can back their own catalog with their clout, they don't need Nintendo to do it.

GhostSeed said:
Someone was telling me today that Ys I & II doesn't have the crappy blur filter like all the other TG16 games on VC. Is this true?

Yes, this is the case for all TG16 games released after Ys1&2 as well. I don`t know if they`ve updated any of their previously released games though.

Well, I caved and bought Ogre Battle for the fourth time now. Please Zombie Matsuno, take my monies.

Just for kicks, I played Dragon's Haven and reminded myself why this game kicks so much ass.

Jiggy

<3 Hanging around Ogre Battle maps when the boss is the only thing left, keeping only one unit deployed so I can farm all the cities' cash and love simultaneously. ~1,420,000 Goth and I'm only a fifth of the way through the game. Got an early Merchant item drop too, so it's time to either break things totally with Str/Int/Agi boosters or have some random fun with Luk boosters and see what sorts of radical item drops I'll get after every character everywhere has divine fortune on their side.

Man God said:
I wasn't even complaining this time
since I've given up hope that that can change much of anything
, just getting into a semantic debate about what constitutes "the bigger picture."

nincompoop said:
Rainbow Islands Towering Adventure - First Look
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do54D1AIpL8
Woot!
:O
There's not quite as much color in there as I usually like in my games, but it still looks pretty entertaining!

Hobbun

What does everyone feel the likelihood is in seeing these games:

Soul Blazer series (Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia and especially Terranigma for NA)
Both Lufia games
Crystalis
Battle of Olympus (loved this one)
Faxanadu

There are more I would like to see, but these I would say are my favorites. Been wanting the three Soul Blazer games for awhile now.

Volcynika

Blizzard gifted Ogre Battle to me (awesome), but I have mostly no clue as to what some general tips are. My friend linked me to a site all about it though!

Also, anyone remember avg length for the game for getting at least one ending?

Nuclear Muffin said:
Yes, this is the case for all TG16 games released after Ys1&2 as well. I don`t know if they`ve updated any of their previously released games though.

Holy crap! I don't remember ever seeing that mentioned in this thread, or the earlier one. I completely stopped buying TG-16 games on account of the blur. One question though-are you talking about NTSC?

Hobbun said:
Battle of Olympus (loved this one)

I believe Ubisoft owns the rights to Battle of Olympus, having acquired Broderbund's old console IP. Also the original Japanese publisher doesn't seem to be involved with the VC. So that one is extremely unlikely.

Hobbun

leroy hacker said:
I believe Ubisoft owns the rights to Battle of Olympus, having acquired Broderbund's old console IP. Also the original Japanese publisher doesn't seem to be involved with the VC. So that one is extremely unlikely.

That's a shame. :(

What I am really wondering about the top three I named, though. The Soul Blazer series, Crystalis and the Lufia games. What is the likelihood of those?

Remember IGN's "Wii 2009 Preview" from January 21? I've mentioned this story before, but it's March now so it is timely to post this methinks:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/946/946778p1.html

Matt, Bozon or somebody:

Nintendo will, without warning, push a brand new system update that will enable the ability to not just download games straight to an SD card for increased storage, but those downloaded-to-SD-card games will be playable straight from the card slot. No shuffle necessary. Expect this update by March, if not sooner.

This and everything else in the article was prefaced by the staff as being things "we absolutely know are hitting." I've been checking my system for a blue light every morning after getting out of bed for the last two weeks. So yeah, hopefully I'm not disappointed by the end of the month (since so far all I'm getting are my Mario Kart tourney update messages). Come on, Nintendo. I haven't given you more money for Wii Ware since Bomberman and it's gonna stay that way until I can make some REAL use out of my neglected Ativa high speed 2 gig card.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
If this is true, then my complaining about VC-related matters will be reduced by one third!

The two thirds that remain will consist of the North American VC release schedule and the unforgivable lack of EarthBound.

Iam Canadian said:
If this is true, then my complaining about VC-related matters will be reduced by one third!

The two thirds that remain will consist of the North American VC release schedule and the unforgivable lack of EarthBound.

I would never have guessed those percentage factors. ;)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Have anybody tried to download "old" TG16 games again just to see if they contain the updated TG16 emulator sans blur filter?

Agent Unknown said:
Remember IGN's "Wii 2009 Preview" from January 21? I've mentioned this story before, but it's March now so it is timely to post this methinks:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/946/946778p1.html

This and everything else in the article was prefaced by the staff as being things "we absolutely know are hitting." I've been checking my system for a blue light every morning after getting out of bed for the last two weeks. So yeah, hopefully I'm not disappointed by the end of the month (since so far all I'm getting are my Mario Kart tourney update messages). Come on, Nintendo. I haven't given you more money for Wii Ware since Bomberman and it's gonna stay that way until I can make some REAL use out of my neglected Ativa high speed 2 gig card.
Games played straight of the SD Card?!

YES!!!

That is all.

PS: Nintendo released updates at midnight pacific or 6PM Pacific. So always check at those times. I know I will.

Also: Since I"m bored I'll post when Nintendo usually released firmware updates for the heck of it...lol

Mondays: They usually only release firmware updates on Mondays if theres a WiiShop update to go with it (Gifts, Complete redisign)

Tuesdays: They have released FW on tuesdays but not many.

Wendsdays: This seems to be a great day for FW updates.

Thursdays: They usually never release them on Thursdays.

Fridays: About the same chance as Wendsdays.

Saturdays: Same as Thursdays.

Sundays: Same as Tuesday.

I hope that the channel icons stay on the WiiMenu and when you click it loads from the SD Card. This would mean that I could actually fill all 48 slots! AT LONG LAST!

Seems like Monday would be the day...a Monday that is.

Thanks for the stats and dates on past FW updates, Wiirevolution1.

My ideal version of the update would be a small SD card button on the bottom of the dashboard. Clicking the button would bring up a separate dashboard representing your SD card with virtually endless channel slots limited only by how much space is on the card. Regardless of what it ends up being, they need to ditch the 48 channel limit for the card. Otherwise there'd still eventually be a need for re-shuffling content between the system and the Shop.

Hobbun said:
What does everyone feel the likelihood is in seeing these games:

In terms of what you listed, I would say the Soul Blazer series is most likely. Squeenix has done a really good job recently of releasing what they would consider second tier titles, and there really is no reason for them to stop unless the sales just aren't there. It's more a question of when rather than if in my opinion.

The Lufia series is kind of an odd duck. That would be Square-Enix's call yet again, but I think it probably is on the back burner in contrast to games they were originally involved in developing/publishing. Unless they have a revival planned, Lufia might be a long time coming.

In terms of SNK titles, all we have gotten so far are NeoGeo titles. I'd have to see a non-NeoGeo SNK title release first before I have any confidence that Crystalis is coming. On the other hand, if Nintendo purchased all rights to Crystalis when they were making the GameBoy Color version, then I would imagine it will definitely hit at some point.

Likewise, Faxanadu is sorta cloudy. Depends on who has final say. Hudson published the game in Japan, and we haven't had a Hudson NES title released since 2007. I'm sure Falcom (the developer) and Nintendo (US and PAL publisher) would be amenable though.

Battle of Olympus is the least likely of all the titles you listed for the reasons outlined by leroy hacker earlier.

Jiggy

Loading from the SD card, huh? To be honest, I never minded shuffling games around that much since there are only so many that I think have such good replay value that I want to keep them around, but I'll support anything that helps eliminate barriers for potential buyers.

Though what I'll really be happy with is the day that will never come when Nintendo actually begins advertising VC so that more people will buy more games, creating incentives for Nintendo to release games at a faster pace and for other third-parties to sign on to begin with. It kills me how easy it would be to sell this service if they tried.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Seems to me you guys are setting youselves up for disappointment: only thing I know is that a couple of days ago, together with the Classic Controller Pro, Nintendo JPN presented the Official Nintendo Wii SD Card: I hope it has to do with this firmware update we're all hoping for instead of being just a cocktease and what Matt/Bozon has mistaken for the actual ability to load from SD cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom