• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Red Steel 2 infos in March...

From N- Europe :

British publication NGamer are set to feature a first look at Red Steel 2, the highly-anticipated sequel to the slashy/shooty Wii launch title.

Red Steel 2 is an elusive beast; Ubisoft haven't confirmed much beyond its existence, and the fact that it's set to support the waggle-enhancing MotionPlus accessory. Beyond that, gamers are completely in the dark.

However, it looks as though Red Steel 2 is in a presentable state right now, as the "Next Month" page in Issue #34 of British Nintendo magazine NGamer promises to feature a first look at Red Steel 2 and "MotionPlus swordsmanship" in the May 2009 issue, which will hit news stands on Wednesday March 25th.

Ubisoft have slated Red Steel 2 for a Q4 2009 release, which gives you plenty of time to catch on the highly-anticipated sequel's flawed yet admirable predecessor.

Yeah, I was wondering what happened to this one. Could be interesting to see what they managed to do with this after all this time. The franchise certainly has potential, the main thing being not to fuck it up...again.

P.S :

Gaffer Shiggy called that back in December by the way. Maybe he can pop into this thread and tell us more about this :p .

Coool.

Didn't Nintendo Power have something secretive as well? i wonder if it's RS2 too. unless it was revealed then sorry :lol

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The first one was a flawed game with a lot of potential. I hope that after the time they've had and a hopefully higher budget this could be good.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Needs a strong E3 showing, but I'm holding out hope it'll be great.

neogaf1.gif

...even though it's Ubi.

Azure J

Carlisle said:
A reannouncement of an announcement with the date of another announcement.

This gen will live on in infamy for this. :lol

Edit - To poster above me, shits and giggles really. I hope it didn't have any bad consequences.

Seriously.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Red Steel was a good game ruined by horrid controls. All Ubisoft has to do is copy World at War's controls and RS2 should end up pretty good.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
British publication NGamer are set to feature a first look at Red Steel 2, the highly-anticipated sequel to the slashy/shooty Wii launch title.
I'm quite sleepy and I've actually read this as "slashy/shitty".

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It’s going to be interesting to see how this turns out.

On one hand Red Steel is a pretty damn nice look game with some really cool concepts. But on the other it messed up in some pretty stupid areas (eg: bounding box) and ultimately fell short of being anything great.

Word on the street is that a different team is behind Red Steel 2. I figure UbiSoft will either try and cash in on the solid Red Steel sales / shooter market and push out a sack of crap riding off MotionPlus use, or they will learn from their mistakes of the first and release something worth looking forward to.

Fingers crossed it’s the latter.

Threi

notag
every fucking thread i swear:

1. Post about Red Steel
2. Post about Red Steel's mediocrity
3. Post about Red Steel's soundtrack
4. Ami0x's post about signed copy of Red Steel soundtrack

jesus mix it up a little :/

Xellos

I'm feeling optimistic about this game. Red Steel had some good ideas and interesting levels, and Ubi actually tried to make the game look and sound good. Most of Red Steel's problems stem from rushing to meet Wii's launch: nobody knew how to do FPS controls on Wii, the motion control wasn't implemented well, and there wasn't time to smooth out the framerate/technical issues. Red Steel 2 should have none of these problems.

D-Pad

Looking forward to the announcement. Next we'll have announcements telling us to look forward to an announcement of an announcement.

... Wait! Don't tell me...

I am hopeful. Now that they can see how well FPS games can be on the system (MP3, MoH, CoD), they should be able to, you know, have a good game.

DreD

The first game was developped by UbiSoft Montpelier, but this one is apparently done by another team. I still own the first game and I think it was pretty enjoyable once you got the hang of the controls. Here's hoping there will be more shooting and less swordfighting this time around.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Well, the motion+ won't do much to add to shooting like it will for the sword fighting.

Gahiggidy said:
Well, the motion+ won't do much to add to shooting like it will for the sword fighting.

a stable frame rate and general improvements (aka steal from any recent Wii FPS) would benefit the shooting sements

Red Steel 1 was an awful game, but I'll give it some credit for having an unique, if not nausiating, style to it. Only Stranglehold really had the same feel in terms of locations and all that.

Linkhero1

I actually enjoyed the first game more than I thought I would. I mean it had a lot of bugs and glitches but if they fix all that shit up it would have been a good game. I'm really anticipating this game and have been waiting for an official announcement for some time. "Hey it's that Gaijin!"

If you think about it, Red Steel with good aiming controls (now that devs seem to know what they're doing as evidenced by MP3, MoH2 and The Conduit) and much better sword fighting would have been a pretty decent game. The graphics weren't bad for a launch game and will surely be better.

With a bigger budget, which I'm hoping the sequel get considering the original was a million seller, the presentation could be greatly improved (also the menu was pretty sick the cutscenes were lackluster) and overall we could be looking at a solid game

billy.sea

Banned
Hope it will have the same effect as Killzone 2, the first one being a big anticipated 'Halo Killer' and then flopped, and the 2nd one turn out to be great.

Azure J

I wonder if this game would benefit from HVS' Quantum3 engine much. Ubi has the art assets to pull off something highly appealing, and MotionPlus would certainly add to the sword mechanics. At this point, I just wanna hear more about how they intend to mesh things better this time around.

pakkit

Banned
A Link to the Snitch said:
If this turns out good, I could see it being a success like its predecessor, but if bad, will probably fail.
It'll sell well regardless, but the fact that Ubisoft stripped the first team that had the project of their game seems to suggest that they actually know that higher quality will potentially net them astronomical sales.

Rolf NB

Ysiadmihi said:
Red Steel was a good game ruined by horrid controls. All Ubisoft has to do is copy World at War's controls and RS2 should end up pretty good.
Yeah. In terms of level design and visuals Red Steel was awesome. Unfortunately, they seem to want to extend the motion-based swordfighting.
*sigh*

Red Steel was a great concept that was poorly executed. I don't expect the sequel to be anything different, Ubisoft couldn't give a toss about the quality of their Wii games.

Model 500

What they need to do for RS2 in my opinion:

Keep the excellent sound effects and music. This game had one of the best SFX and music in a game like this. The cracking head shot sound gets a bonus point.

Keep the level design, gameplay flow and the b-movie style and attitude.

Keep the downward flick of the nunchuck for reloading, it felt great after getting used to the overall controls. At least make it optional.

Get rid of the broken control scheme and look in the direction of MoH and Conduit, just copy them straight.* As much customization as possible.

Steady frame rate.

Proper online mode.

Get rid of the unskippable cut-scenes, at least for the second play-through.

This would make Red Steel 2 absolutely amazing in my book.

* Tbh, this alone would make it great.

pakkit

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
Red Steel was a great concept that was poorly executed. I don't expect the sequel to be anything different, Ubisoft couldn't give a toss about the quality of their Wii games.
51ETgAXAVbL._AA280_.jpg

51rrtCUc3cL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Not to mention the upcoming Broken Sword, and the pretty decent 3rd Raving Rabbids.

Eteric Rice

pakkit said:
51ETgAXAVbL._AA280_.jpg

51rrtCUc3cL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Not to mention the upcoming Broken Sword, and the pretty decent 3rd Raving Rabbids.

Tenchu is just being published by Ubisoft.

Please don't mention Rabbids. Mini-game compilations (that aren't Let's Tap) tend to make us Wii owners gnash our teeth.

We will cut you open, remove your non-vital organs, and play with your blood.

pakkit said:
..., Anno, TMNT , possibly No More Heroes 2 in the US... Yeah, although their internal, non-casual oriented studios don't seem quite commited to the Wii, I think some of the games they pick up for publishing nowadays make for a solid range of titles. I think they've definitely come a long way in term of proposal for this platform.

Fuu said:
I'm quite sleepy and I've actually read this as "slashy/shitty".
That's the first game in a nutshell. I mean, Red Steel's soundtrack was top notch, it looked decent a lot of the time and the style was pretty cool, but jeez those controls were 7 shades of buttered ass. I'm really hoping Ubisoft don't fuck up RS2, because I really wanted to like the first game.

CTLance

Hm. We'll see. I'll be keeping my emotions in check, that's for sure. RS1 was pretty nice, but I don't really trust Ubi on the Wii anymore.

pakkit

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
Tenchu is just being published by Ubisoft.
I know, but they still had to pick it up. Ubisoft isn't "Nintendo-like quality," but they're doing much better than the shitfest they fed us in 2006 and 2007.

Wrath2X said:
Yes Im really excited about a sequel to a suckfest.
Killzone 2 turned out okay.

Top Bottom