• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk games?

konrad77

I really love westwoods Blade Runner and Revolutions "Beneath a steel sky", they really delivered on the atomphere. Bioshock was good, but not really cyberpunk. Except from Deus Ex 3 which one should you look forward to?

Are there any good games for Consoles (this generation or last generation)?

Lakitu

st5fu
I know you're only looking for this gen or last gen, but there's only one.

SNATCHER
snatcher_023.jpg

But apparently, Starbreeze are rumoured to be doing Syndicate and like you say, Deus Ex 3. I assume you've played the original, right? That's another classic.

konrad77

I havent played the Deus Ex 1,2 nor System Shock I,II (which I really should).

Hows Deus Ex on Playstation?

I think Starbreeze new project is called "Red lime" and as you I also heard its Syndicate.

konrad77 said:
I havent played the Deus Ex 1,2 nor System Shock I,II (which I really should).

Hows Deus Ex on Playstation?

I think Starbreeze new project is called "Red lime" and as you I also heard its Syndicate.

I've played Deus Ex on PS2 and while it's simplifed from the PC version in some ways (no limb specific damage, for example), and there's quite a lot of loading, it's still an awesome game.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm surprised System Shock 2 wasn't the first response.
Not console, but a definitive work in the cyperpunk genre.

Durandal

Banned
stuburns said:
I'm surprised System Shock 2 wasn't the first response.
Not console, but a definitive work in the cyperpunk genre.

Although it has Cyberware, its more of a sci-fi than cyberpunk game.

Steampunk:

Bioshock
Fallout
Final Fantasy VI
Skies of Arcadia
Wild arms
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura (PC)

Cyberpunk:

From wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cyberpunk_works#List_of_computer_and_video_games

Neuromancer (1988)
Snatcher (1988-1996)
Flashback (1992)
Syndicate (1993)
Syndicate Wars (1996)
Beneath a Steel Sky (1994)
Burn:Cycle (1994)
Hell: A Cyberpunk Thriller (1994)
System Shock (1994)
System Shock 2 (1999)
CyberMage: Darklight Awakening (1995)
Johnny Mnemonic: The Interactive Action Movie
Blade Runner (1997)
A.I. Wars: The Awakening (2000)
Deus Ex (2000)
Deus Ex: Invisible War (2003)
Uplink (2001)
Enter the Matrix (2003)
Dystopia (2005)
The Matrix Online (2005)
The Matrix: Path of Neo (2005)
System Rush (2005)
Shadowrun (2007)
Cyberpunk 2020

Others I can think of
Final Fantasy VII
Anachronox
Omikron
Ghost in the shell games
Shin megami tensei?

A really great one you would probably enjoy given the adventure slant of the first post is Bloodnet.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/bloodnet

BloodNet7.png

its an old microprose adventure game, and I realize you asked for some modern console games, but they are really few and far between. This basically counts as a part of the Beneath a Steel Sky era of games. Other than the travesty that was Shadowrun, are there anything besides small elements of the genre in games nowadays? I guess you could kind of count Mirror's Edge as one. Given the CORP/ Runner theme... big stretch though. I cant really think of many from the last gen or this one worth mentioning, besides the ones mentioned already.

edit: weird. that wiki doesn't mention it at all...

edit edit: wow, this game got panned on some of those reviews, i recall liking it when i was younger, but i had high tolerance. yikes.

M°°nblade said:
Steampunk:

Bioshock
Fallout

What.

wikipedia said:
The term[steampunk] denotes works set in an era or world where steam power is still widely used—usually the 19th century, and often set in Victorian era England—but with prominent elements of either science fiction or fantasy

Cyber Doll for the Import Saturn

http://www.segagagadomain.com/saturn7/cyberdoll.htm

Basically in the year 20XX a great flesh-eating virus, plague, or what-have-you threatens the earth. To counteract it man develops cybernetic reconstruction so everyone can trade in their old organs for brand-name ones. The rest of the story follows some dude with a troubled past as he fights freaks and solves crimes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82rj5dqFp2M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZiWJc70eJ4

The battle system is similar to Front Mission in that you have a variety of weapons at your disposal that work at different ranges. For most of these weapons you can target specific enemy bodyparts(and in doing so destroy their ability to move/use weapons/etc). Like Front Mission it's quite satisfying completely taking apart an enemy until their rendered helpless. As you can tell from the video the enemy designs are rather twisted. After each battle you get a couple of random parts of whoever you kill. Swapping these out improves your HP, DEF, STR, etc and you also get cash for buying weapons and healing items.

Oddly enough the intro is fully-voiced in English but otherwise it's a rather JP-friendly affair. Coupled with the complete lack of FAQs and it's rather difficult to make any progress. It's neat though I think.

So uh..there it is.

leroy hacker said:
I know.
There's no 'steam' driven technology but they do share the retro art design with lot's of bronze, tooth wheels, 19th century diving suites (dig daddies) and stuff like that.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
M°°nblade said:
I know.
There's no 'steam' driven technology but they do share the retro art design with lot's of bronze, tooth wheels, 19th century diving suites (dig daddies) and stuff like that.
Bioshock is debatable (and it's the 50s retros, which usually isn't considered "steampunk". It's not "cyberpunk" either of course), Fallout definitely not.

Last gen there were several good cyberpunk games including Deus Ex 1-2, Matrix:The Path of Neo, Metroid Prime 2, Jak 2, and for this gen Too Human.

Slightly off topic but would Fallout 3 be considered steampunk? It has a similar design to Bioshock and I noticed most are calling that Steampunk.

Masklinn said:
Bioshock is debatable (and it's the 50s retros, which usually isn't considered "steampunk". It's not "cyberpunk" either of course), Fallout definitely not.

The original Fallout titles could be considered steampunk, since technology evolved in a different way by transistors not having been created. But that's a broader meaning of steampunk.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Need a new Ghost in the Shell. Something more like the PS1 games and less like the PS2 one.

I've always wondered why no dev has tried to make an open world cyberpunk game, espcially after the boom of them. I'm sure most expected Shadowrun 360 to be that before we knew it was shooter, but no one else attempted it? really?

Gattsu25

Banned
If you're looking for a good cyberpunk game and are limited to consoles...hmm...I dunno...Deus Ex (PS2) and Deus Ex 2 (Xbox) are probably your best bets.

OP, you see all the PC game mentions? That should tell you something.

Camwi

Anticitizen One said:
Last gen there were several good cyberpunk games including Deus Ex 1-2, Matrix:The Path of Neo, Metroid Prime 2, Jak 2, and for this gen Too Human.

Slightly off topic but would Fallout 3 be considered steampunk? It has a similar design to Bioshock and I noticed most are calling that Steampunk.

No offense or anything, but do you know what "cyberpunk" is?

Haeleos

CyberMage: Darklight Awakening! You could even do a LTTP on it, and as apposed to the 100s of God of War and Shadow of the Colossus ones no one clicks on, it might be interesting to read.

konrad77

I dont know if you guys remember the small swedish studio, tarsier games. They are developing a cool steram punk game called, City of metronome (or atleast they did).

Now they are working on a Ragdoll kung-fu:Fists of plastic for Playstation Netowork.

If they deliver hopefully Sony will let them continue on City of Metronome.

CiSTM said:
Didn't we just had this excat same thread not too long time ago ?

EDIT: Yes, we did. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=346231

EDIT: Well that thread was a dud. Let's make this one better.

mine was better, good list in it

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182168

ZombieSupaStar said:

Bioshock is basically the cyberpunk System Shock 2 transposed to a steampunk setting, complete with "hacking" security systems and turrets, so it sorta counts.

AppleBlade

The city Midgar in Final Fantasy VII had a very cyberpunk feel to it. I wish Square would do an game set entirely in that city, it's my all time favorite video game city. Here are some screenshots of midgar.

ff7_midgar_1024x768.jpg

lifeblog-7thheaven.jpg

crisis-core-final-fantasy-vii-20080229104429033_640w.jpg

Gattsu25

Banned
MightyKAC said:
Ummm.... guys hate to break it to ya but Bioshock falls pretty squarely under the BIOPUNK genre.....
Cyberpunk was cool, steampunk is and was restupid...it was only a matter of time that someone made up a bullshit biopunk or marinepunk genre
You Own Link said:
Biopunk science fiction is a sub-genre of cyberpunk fiction
So your link states that Bioshock is still Cyberpunk...curiouser and curiouser

MightyKAC

Gattsu25 said:
Cyberpunk was cool, steampunk is and was restupid...it was only a matter of time that someone made up a bullshit biopunk or marinepunk genreSo your link states that Bioshock is still Cyberpunk...curiouser and curiouser

It's bullshit why? Because its new? And that makes it less legitimate as a sci-fi Genre HOW?

And also, FYI SUB Genre =/= SAME genre although. I'll grant you that its an offshoot, too many differing elements exist.

AppleBlade

MightyKAC said:
Ummm.... guys hate to break it to ya but Bioshock falls pretty squarely under the BIOPUNK genre.....
Did you read the wiki article you linked? Because if you did you would've caught this little remark . . . "Biopunk science fiction is a sub-genre of cyberpunk fiction." Regardless, Cyberpunk, Steampunk, and Biopunk are all very closely related. Many of them deal with Dystopia's and many are set in gritty worlds.

MrVargas said:
The city Midgar in Final Fantasy VII had a very cyberpunk feel to it. I wish Square would do an game set entirely in that city, it's my all time favorite video game city. Here are some screenshots of midgar.

ff7_midgar_1024x768.jpg

lifeblog-7thheaven.jpg

crisis-core-final-fantasy-vii-20080229104429033_640w.jpg

Man they barely used electricity in FFVII, hell mostly everything was steam powered....or materia powered.

FFVII is much cyberpunk as Yakuza is steampunk.

neight

Banned
M°°nblade said:
I know.
Art Deco =! Steampunk.

Twig

Banned
Gattsu25 said:
Cyberpunk was cool, steampunk is and was restupid...it was only a matter of time that someone made up a bullshit biopunk or marinepunk genre

So your link states that Bioshock is still Cyberpunk...curiouser and curiouser
Steampunk is a legitimate genre. As is biopunk, as long as there are books, movies, or games that actually fit the definition.

You're stupid!!!

Also, punk is punk. Cyber is not steam is not... bio. Technically steampunk is an "offshoot" of cyberpunk as well. The similarities pretty much begin and end with the word "punk" which really isn't that hard to figure out if you actually read into it. Or just think a little.

You basically sound like a little kid who's pissed he has to learn new things. "Languages evolving?! NOT ON MY WATCH!"

|:

neight

Banned
M°°nblade said:
Fine, whatever, bioshock= Artdecopunk and biopunk.
Art Deco is a architecture style not a genre. Some people are associating Bioshock's art deco with steampunk for some reason.

Top Bottom