• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lego Indiana Jones 2 announced (Crystal Skull + original trilogy + level editor)

PR:

May 29, 2009 - LucasArts and TT Games today announced that LEGO? Indiana Jones™ 2: The Adventure Continues will whip onto Wii™, Nintendo DS™, PLAYSTATION?3 computer entertainment system, PSP? (PlayStation?Portable) system, Xbox 360?video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and Windows in the Fall of 2009. Developed by the same team at Traveller's Tales that created the award-winning LEGO? Indiana Jones™: The Original Adventures and the LEGO? Star Wars™ series, LEGO Indiana Jones 2 presents a tongue-in-cheek take on all four cinematic adventures of pop culture's most iconic archaeologist, including for the first time ever Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and will give players the ability to create levels of their own!

"LucasArts and TT Games continue to set the bar for next-generation family entertainment with the LEGO Indiana Jones franchise," said Darrell Rodriguez, president of LucasArts. "LEGO Indiana Jones 2 delivers something a little different for everyone. Parents will enjoy the humorous take on the classic moments from their favorite movies, and their kids have an opportunity to experience the most authentic LEGO experience by building their own fun levels brick by brick."

"It has been a real joy to work with LucasArts on such an iconic character. Indiana Jones embodies the adventurous spirit that perfectly suits the LEGO world," said Tom Stone, director at TT Games. "Indy also presents us with wonderful and memorable cinematic moments."

For more information on LEGO Indiana Jones, please visit www.legoindianajonesgame.com.

Excerpt from IGN interview:
IGN: To start, can you give us some insight into what you feel LEGO Indiana Jones 2 represents for those who've been playing the LEGO series for a while, meaning is the style of action and the overall setup similar to titles past, as well as what it offers newcomers?

Kellam Eanes: LEGO Indiana Jones 2: The Adventure Continues is Indy's greatest adventure yet. Foes from Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and the Original Adventures team up against him for a spectacular action adventure. We're bringing back the aspects of LEGO game play that fans love –drop-in/drop-out co-op, puzzle solving, character swapping, and free-play abilities. In LEGO Indy 2, we're introducing an entirely new builder feature, allowing for user-created content for the first time ever in a LEGO game. LEGO Indy 2 will feature innovative re-tellings of the classic Original Triolgy encounters, new brawl and vehicle levels, and the most authentic LEGO experience you can have in a game – creating an adventure of your own.

IGN: What about the sort of content the game is going to cover?

Kellam Eanes: The game play will be structured around six large level "Hubs," which will be levels unto themselves. Think Barnett College (LEGO Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures) and the Cantina (LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga) Hubs blown out to a larger, more interactive scale. For instance, for the Raiders of the Lost Ark Hub, you'll be able to fly a plane, swim around islands, or ride a boat within the Hub itself. There are five levels within each of the six Hubs.

IGN: Can you go over some of the playable characters that'll be returning, as well as any newcomers? Can you still customize characters?

Kellam Eanes: In LEGO Indiana Jones 2: The Adventure Continues, LEGO Indy is joined once again by the characters from the original films, such as Mola Ram, Short-Round, Marion, Henry Jones, Sr. and Sala. Brand new characters from the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull will also join the cast. Mutt Williams and his motorcycle, Oxley, Dovchenko, Irina Spalko, and many more will join Indy on his adventures.

Character customization has always been at the heart of what we and Traveller's Tales want from an interactive LEGO experience. Traveller's really outdid themselves in expanding the character creator even further to allow players to create their own adventures! You can create your own characters and have them join Indy, Mola Ram, or any of your other favorite characters in a world that you can build brick by brick, from the ground up. You can't get much more customizable than that!

IGN: We understand there will be some new functionality in the game for Indy's whip. Can you go over what this means for players and what new types of moves and control it allows for?

Kellam Eanes: With a new and improved whip, Indy will now have the ability to whip enemies over to him, tie them up, throw them over his shoulder, and even use them as tools to activate levers.
You can also now use the whip in tandem with another character to trip enemies.

IGN: One of the most interesting features of this title is the option to build and play your own stages. How does this system work, and can you touch on specifics like how big a stage you might be able to build, what kinds of LEGO blocks and special pieces you can use, as well as what you can do with a stage after you're done building it?

Kellam Eanes: The Builder allows you to create your own levels, tombs, challenges, or more simply just fun sandbox areas. For example, you can lay down road base plates, add traps that are activated by levers, and add in your own unique environmental features. You'll be able to save your game when you're finished to enjoy over and over again.

IGN: Can you save multiple custom stages, and is there any way to share them with others?

Kellam Eanes: Once you've created your own level in the Builder mode, the fun continues in Build Your Own Adventure Mode where the possibilities of creating your own world-spanning quests are endless. You can pull all of the levels you've created and combine them to create your very own adventure. From an archeological dig in Egypt to exploring the jungles of South America BYOA allows you to create your very own LEGO Indiana Jones adventure.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So, to get this straight, this is Lego Indy 1 + Deleted Scenes/new hubworld + Kingdom of the Crystal Skull + a level editor?

Blizzard

Banned
I haven't played a LEGO game since Star Wars. I played the original Star Wars trilogy on PC, and it was awesome. I own Indiana Jones but haven't played it. I might even get Batman eventually if Indiana Jones is good.

A level editor is a great edition though, especially on PC.

DodgerSan

It's unlikely now that they'll revisit Star Wars again, but if they do Lego Clone Wars with that level builder, day 1 :)

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Stumpokapow said:
So, to get this straight, this is Lego Indy 1 + Deleted Scenes/new hubworld + Kingdom of the Crystal Skull + a level editor?

Yeah I'm confused about this too. If I already played through all of LEgo Indy 1, is most of Lego indy 2 the same levels?

netguy503

And another question...this will be Lego Indiana Jones Trilogy now with trophies + new level + level editor?

Hm...may have to sell my copy and rebuy.

Edit: Or I hope they patch in trophies to the original game for folks who don't want to rebuy.

Yackie

Wow, Lego Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull. This might be the rare instance where the game is actually BETTER than the movie. The level editor sounds really fun.

Level editor is unexpected, but last year when theorizing how they'd go about a sequel the idea of basically pulling a "Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga" without having a separate release of the new content was one possibility I considered.
GDJustin said:
Yeah I'm confused about this too. If I already played through all of LEgo Indy 1, is most of Lego indy 2 the same levels?
It's kind of hard to tell how much is old content (or old content somewhat modified) from reading that text, but it does seem like there's a lot more. I believe Lego Indiana Jones was like the Lego Star Wars game in that each movie was split into 6 stages, making for 18 total. However, the interview mentions
There are five levels within each of the six Hubs.
So if the old 18 are in, 12 are new.

I wonder why six hubs of five, though. Why not one hub for each movie? And if there are six hubs, that's not two per movie either, so it doesn't seem to be split up by movie anymore?

netguy503

Marvie_3 said:
Meh. I'll pass. I'm burned out on the Lego games.

Well, this is the first LEGO game with trophies so I'm actually pretty interested. And if they patch the original Indy with trophies (don't see why not, it will have the same trophies for the old games as this is basically a 60% re-packaging), and if they count as two separate games, that is basically 2 easy platinum's right there as you would know from the first game how to get all the trophies if they needed to be redone. :) Trophy whores will go nuts. We recently had a thread on "easy platinum's" and this could take the cake as there are potentially TWO of them to earn. And, unlike Hanna Montana, these games are fun.

What I'm thinking of doing is (if there is a trophy patch for the first Indy, and why wouldn't there be since they are going to be making up trophies for the old games in this collection) this: beat the Indiana trilogy I already have to platinum, go and sell the game, sell the game and get money for the new version, buy it and platinum that version. I didn't lose anything as I re-bought it plus gained some new levels, a level editor, and two platinum's for my collection. And since the LEGO games are never full price anyway( usually $50, you can find them for $40ish on first week sales) I don't think that is a bad value.

Now I wish they would trophy patch LEGO Star Wars or LEGO Batman. :D

Top Bottom