• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The final Tonight Show with Jay Leno

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMczaf

Love him or hate him, it's his final show tonight. I thought it at least deserved it's own thread.

jay-leno-tonight-show.jpg

Nearly 20 years of OJ, Lewinsky, and Michael Jackson jokes. Coming to an end.

Where will Kevin Eubanks go?

Where will Gilbert Gottfried get work?

17strike-600.jpg

gdt

I need to put a trash bag over the right side of the screen when Conan's on. Maybe I can kill the right speaker as well...

DMczaf

Cheebs said:
It's not really over he starts again in the fall

But it's The Jay Leno Show, not The Tonight Show with Kevin Eubanks.

Seriously, what happens to Kevin?! The world must know.

radjago

Manics said:
Tonight Show might actually be good again when Conan takes over.
Agreed. Jay relies on too much photoshoppery and video editing lately for his gags. His jokes just aren't very funny, even the dirty ones.

Sanjuro

I still dislike him getting his own daily show before. I still think it's good for NBC to keep him. I think a once a week show with a round table of guests would be much better suited for him "trying something new" as they claim they are trying to do with his show.

I never hated Leno, he is a funny guy and entertaining. I just always preferred Conan and Letterman.

Rorschach

DMczaf said:

He'll be too busy drawing awesome comics to care!

suckscomp.gif

bunnytoon.gif

latenitecomp.gif

monsterscomp.gif

teddycomp.gif

911.gif

He's a comedic genius and this is way too edgy for Leno!

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
The show's humor has always been awkward and occasionally painful to watch, but I've always liked Jay. Plus, it's been tradition for me — I've watched most of Leno every night before Conan came on since the mid-90's. I'm glad NBC is keeping him around, and I think he'll be successful in that timeslot.

I'll definitely be watching tonight.

Cheebs

DMczaf said:

Kevin will be on the Jay Leno show. I mean why not? he is using the same set as before and everything.

Cheebs

chubigans said:
I've been watching Jay this last week, and he seems really, really sad. It's hard to watch sometimes. :(
I don't get this at all. What does he have to be sad about? His show is coming back in 3 months! Same set. Same monologue/guests/etc format. Just a different name and an hour earlier.

laserbeam

Banned
Cheebs said:
I don't get this at all. What does he have to be sad about? His show is coming back in 3 months! Same set. Same monologue/guests/etc format. Just a different name and an hour earlier.

He is just moody he doesnt get the respect Carson had.

Thomper

Cheebs said:
Kevin will be on the Jay Leno show. I mean why not? he is using the same set as before and everything.
Nah, Leno is getting a new studio with a new set, even though that set is only about a mile away from the current studio. But it's pretty certain Kevin will come along.

Tobor

Ryck said:
Na-Na-Nahh-Na, Na-Na-Nahh-Na, Hey, Hey, Hey...

I've been waiting for this for a long time...

So, so long. It took 17 years, but we are finally free from the chains of oppression!

Seriously though, Jay sucks, bring on Conan.

Tobor

I'm convinced that people who like Jay have just forgotten how awesome Johnny was. And Johnny picked Dave. Leno was just a better network kiss ass.

I'm excited about this. I can finally watch Conan without having to stay up so late, and there's a better than good chance that he will inject some much-needed real humor back into the Tonight Show. Under Leno's watch it has become insufferably vanilla and safe.

Jasoco

Banned
Leno. Go away. Take Kevin with you.

Conan. Welcome to 11:30. Hope you brought Max and his 7 friends with you. And Andy Richter. Can't wait for Monday. Shame that I will now have to stop recording Dave.

Ryck

Tobor said:
And Johnny picked Dave. Leno was just a better network kiss ass.
Thing is ... Dave respected Johnny and he was gonna wait patiently for his spot. Leno and his crazy manager forced Carson out and the rest was history. Jay was just more cold blooded.

I love the justice of Leno being forced out too. Too bad he will still be stinking up the airwaves at 10pm.

Conan is awesome as the "safe" host, in that most of his humor is gentle and sweet, like Leno's. Letterman is the fucking king when he's on since he has the reputation of being such a sarcastic bitch. Conan is who I'd watch every day for his goofy shit, but Letterman is who everyone watches on YouTube when he gets his moments.

JimmyV

Banned
Tobor said:
I'm convinced that people who like Jay have just forgotten how awesome Johnny was. And Johnny picked Dave. Leno was just a better network kiss ass.

I never really got into Dave. I just feel his style and presentation is something that appeals more to an older age group, or a "old school" feel I guess. Thats just me tho.

laserbeam

Banned
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Conan is awesome as the "safe" host, in that most of his humor is gentle and sweet, like Leno's. Letterman is the fucking king when he's on since he has the reputation of being such a sarcastic bitch. Conan is who I'd watch every day for his goofy shit, but Letterman is who everyone watches on YouTube when he gets his moments.

That is one thing I love about Letterman. He can be so damn ruthless when he wants to be. When Paris Hilton was on and all he wanted to talk about was her Jail time that stuff was gold. She was about ready to breakdown and cry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liJbE71DK20

Vgamer

Cheebs said:

Well he has been at it for 20 years I can see why he would be emotional. Plus there is always the chance his new show wont do well at the 10 pm slot and maybe he is worried about that.

Jasoco

Banned
Kevin Eubanks is just.. ugh. His fake laugh. He's horrible. Conan and Max make a better partnership than Leno and Kevin. Even Dave and Paul are better than Leno and Kevin.

ckohler

As excited as I am for Conan to take over, it would have been cooler I'd Jay had stuck around till year 20 just to round it off. :D

birdman

ckohler said:
As excited as I am for Conan to take over, it would have been cooler I'd Jay had stuck around till year 20 just to round it off. :D

No. The sooner Leno leaves, the better.

knicks

The Conan O' Brien praise is sickening. Jay Leno might be a little corny, but Conan is just incredibly overrated as a comedian.

seat

knicks said:
The Conan O' Brien praise is sickening. Jay Leno might be a little corny, but Conan is just incredibly overrated as a comedian.
Out of curiosity, which shows and personalities do you find funny and worthy of praise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom