• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The final Tonight Show with Jay Leno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of hate. I don't watch the late night show's often but I always did like Jay Leno. Plus, he has some awesome cars. :D

I do like Conan also. Both fine for me.

Cheebs

Tobor said:
I'm convinced that people who like Jay have just forgotten how awesome Johnny was. And Johnny picked Dave. Leno was just a better network kiss ass.
Yeah. Carson picked Letterman to take over the Tonight Show but Leno went around to all the affiliates behind Carson's back.

Carson refused to ever appear on the Tonight Show after that but made appearances on Letterman's show on CBS once in a while.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
laserbeam said:
He is just moody he doesn't get the respect Carson had.

Getting no respect from a bunch of 20-something internet yuppies, how sad he must feel. With his show being the #1 rated almost non-stop straight for 15 years and all.

On the other hand Conan was barely edging out Craig Ferguson in the ratings department.

Seriously though, Conan is a better entertainer, but Leno had better writers & skits.

laserbeam

Banned
Cheebs said:
Yeah. Carson picked Letterman to take over the Tonight Show but Leno went around to all the affiliates behind Carson's back.

Carson refused to ever appear on the Tonight Show after that but made appearances on Letterman's show on CBS once in a while.

Carson even for awhile would write monologues and such and send them in for Dave to use.

BrandNew said:
el oh fucking el at Leno having better writers and skits :lol

All letterman has is the top 10 and Stupid pet tricks

Leno has jay walking, celebrity jeapordy, headlines, better monologues etc.

Leno is #1 and Letterman is #2 for a reason.

Vgamer

perfectchaos007 said:

Leno's popularity is probably the main reason NBC decided to give him a new show at 10. I think they were terrified that another network like Fox would pick him up and be competition for them.

perfectchaos007 said:

I was talking about Conan. I couldn't give a shit about Letterman

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
BrandNew said:
el oh fucking el at Leno having better writers and skits :lol

vomitting+kermit.jpg

fedexpope.jpg

Cheebs

FTWer said:
Getting no respect from a bunch of 20-something internet yuppies, how sad he must feel. With his show being the #1 rated almost non-stop straight for 15 years and all.
Johnny Carson & David Letterman = 20-something internet yuppie?

seat

FTWer said:
Leno really owes Hugh Grant one hell of a blow job for that.

On the other hand Conan was barely edging out Craig Ferguson in the ratings department.

Proof for this? Conan always seems to get substantially better guests than Craig.

Diablos

Whatever. I'm more of a Letterman guy. Leno isn't really that funny -- he's kind of cheesy.

Conan will prove to be much better.

Tobor

Hopefully, years from now, Leno will a tiny forgotten footnote in the history of The Tonight Show, wedged between Carson and Conan. Like the George Lazenby of talk shows.

We just need a 30 year classic run out of Conan to wipe the foul taste from our mouths.

Trurl

Banned
Jasoco said:
Kevin Eubanks is just.. ugh. His fake laugh. He's horrible. Conan and Max make a better partnership than Leno and Kevin. Even Dave and Paul are better than Leno and Kevin.
Dave and Paul have awesome chemistry, way better than Conan and Max.

Speevy

Banned
Tobor said:
Mr. Show aired in the 90's, so no.

I'm not saying he embodied great comedy, but I think Leno represents lowered standards Joe 6-pack comedy. Dirty, obvious jokes and innuendo for the masses.

Tobor

Speevy said:
I'm not saying he embodied great comedy, but I think Leno represents lowered standards Joe 6-pack comedy. Dirty, obvious jokes and innuendo for the masses.

Sure. I'll give you that. This and early Adam Sandler movies.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Thomper said:
Nah, Leno is getting a new studio with a new set, even though that set is only about a mile away from the current studio. But it's pretty certain Kevin will come along.
So is there going to be any difference between Jay's Tonight Show and his new show this fall?

Ecto311

I don't understand all the hate for any of them. They all have some funny parts. I will watch tonight just because I like leno and will want to see his last show for sure. I think conan is fuckin awesome so ill watch for that and be watching from now on.

In my area conan comes on right after jay so its around 11:30pm for conan and 10:30pm for leno. So for me hes only moving up an hour. If it wasn't for hulu I wouldn't get to see most of this shit since I go to work at 6am.

Vyer

I remember watching Carson and how awesome he was. I was shocked when Leno was picked because I thought for certain Letterman was it. Still, I gave it a shot.... :(

Horrible, vanilla 'for-the-masses' humor. Every once and a while I'd find something funny, but usually it wasn't anything Leno himself brought to the table, just stuff like Headlines. Didn't take me long to stop watching.

I hope I can look forward to actually wanting to see the Tonight Show again after so long.

impirius

Rorschach said:
He'll be too busy drawing awesome comics to care!

latenitecomp.gif

He's a comedic genius and this is way too edgy for Leno!

I'm going right now to buy two chairs for me and my wife so that our lives will be hilarious

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Cheebs said:
I don't get this at all. What does he have to be sad about? His show is coming back in 3 months! Same set. Same monologue/guests/etc format. Just a different name and an hour earlier.

He has nothing to be sad about, he's no longer going to be late night, but thrust into primetime where he will succeed more and rake in millions more.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Tobor said:
I'm convinced that people who like Jay have just forgotten how awesome Johnny was. And Johnny picked Dave. Leno was just a better network kiss ass.
ORIGIN STORIES

The way you said that just sounds epic as shit.

DAVE WAS THE CHOSEN ONE

Tobor

SpeedingUptoStop said:
I'm expecting the Smoke Monster to crush Leno tonight while Conan goes off and stabs Letterman in the heart or some crazy shit.

Johnny rises from his grave to teach Conan how to defeat the evil chin.

Mcmahon: Dave was our only hope.

Johnny: No, there is another.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Johnny Carson is Jacob (inventor of the old school), Jay Leno is Ben Linus (cheap punk), Conan is John Locke( always getting punked like bitch), Dave is Sayid (a fucking boss who should pretty much always be the leader, but never is), Jimmy Kimmel is like Hurley, and Jimmy Fallon is like, I dunno, Michael or some shit (cause he rolls with The Roots on his crew).

Yea, this only took me a couple seconds.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Just shocked to see the insane amount of Leno hate here. :p He's not great, but he's certainly no where as bad (or safe) as some of you are making him out to be.

But yeah, should be good. Can't wait to see Conan and him talking about the switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom