• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 officially announced. November 17th release date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Costanza

Banned
360/PC

New characters, weapons, locations, etc

yep

edit:

VALVE ANNOUNCES LEFT 4 DEAD 2

Sequel to Best-Selling Co-op Thriller Coming This Holiday

June 1, 2009 - Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Half-Life and Counter-Strike) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced Left 4 Dead 2 (L4D2), the sequel to the best-selling and critically-acclaimed co-operative multiplayer thriller.

Coming exclusively to Xbox 360 and PC, L4D2 promises to set a new benchmark for co-operative action games and become one of 2009’s marquee titles.

“A large part of how Left 4 Dead became 2008’s top-selling new IP on Xbox 360 and the PC was the custom-tailored gameplay made possible by the AI Director,” said Gabe Newell, president and co-founder of Valve. “With the knowledge gained from creating the original, new technology, and a passionate team, L4D2 will set a new benchmark for cooperative action games.”

Set for release on November 17, the title adds melee combat to enable deeper co-operative gameplay, with items such as a chainsaw, frying pan, axe, baseball bat, and more.

Introducing the AI Director 2.0, L4D’s dynamic gameplay is taken to the next level by giving the Director the ability to procedurally change weather effects, world objects, and pathways in addition to tailoring the enemy population, effects, and sounds to match the players’ performance. The result is a unique game session custom fitted to provide a satisfying and uniquely challenging experience each time the game is played.

Featuring new Survivors, boss zombies, weapons, and items, Left 4 Dead 2 offers a much larger game than the original with more co-operative campaigns, more Versus campaigns, and maps for Survival mode available at launch.

Supported by a $10+ million marketing campaign, Left 4 Dead has sold over 2.5 million retail copies since it was released in November of 2008. Left 4 Dead 2 is targeted for release on Xbox 360 and the PC on November 17, 2009, and will be launched worldwide with a multi-million dollar marketing campaign across TV, Outdoor, and Online.

“Left 4 Dead was backed by our most aggressive advertising campaign to date, and resulted in a top 5 showing on two platforms during holiday 2008,” said Doug Lombardi, VP of marketing at Valve. “Left 4 Dead 2 is a larger game and will be supported with even more consumer and retail advertising programs than the original.”

Left 4 Dead 2 will be featured as the cover story on PC Gamer and Official Xbox Magazines this month. For more information, please visit www.l4d.com

HD Trailer (thanks Blim)

Lots of info..

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Looked pretty shit from that trailer, and Valve can fuck off if it's not some sort of 'expansion'.

Yackie

This is definitely odd. I don't think I like it, would have preferred DLC. I'm sure it will be good and I will be buying it, whatever it is, but why?

fallout

Valve releasing a game and its sequel within a year? I'm calling bullshit.

(seriously though, this is really weird)

Crye

Kind of worried.
I mean, already? This is not like Valve, are they just pushing this one out the door? Need more info. :S

Sibylus

Banned
Sort of want, sort of conflicted.

Umm.

The guy doing the voice-over sounds like an interesting character, though

123rl

Fuck it, I'll pay for a sequel. I paid £40 for Left 4 Dead and got more value out of that £40 than all of my other games combined. I'll gladly do the same again for new content and Achievements (because it's one the rare games that are enhanced by Achievements)

1-D_FTW

Aside from my broken lobby rant in the other thread, HTF does Valve even make a new game in 12 months? I'm blown away on so many levels. Disappointment #1 of E3 for me.

Darvan

I agree with Cheeto The game didn't even really get it's legs on the 360. If you ask me Valve is milking the cow. I'm sure it'll be a fun priced game not an add on.

Boonoo

How could they be making a new game when the SDK hasn't even gotten past beta yet? This doesn't make much sense as is. Hopefully Valve will put out a press release of some sort.

dionysus

Yaldog
Boonoo said:
How could they be making a new game when the SDK hasn't even gotten past beta yet? This doesn't make much sense as is. Hopefully Valve will put out a press release of some sort.

Well now we know why the SDK is taking so long.

Oreoleo

The only way this will be acceptable IMO is if they've overhauled the game play to such an extent that it actually feels like a different game instead of just 'L4D in new places.' Otherwise, they are just splitting their own user base, something Valve works pretty vehemently to avoid. I smell moneyhats.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
didn't even get to finish the first l4d (no local 4-p co-op killed the game for me)

not very excited about this

what a shame, because i <3 zombies

jon bones said:
didn't even get to finish the first l4d (no local 4-p co-op killed the game for me)

not very excited about this

what a shame, because i <3 zombies
Get a PC.

Because playing with GAFfers is an absolute blast.

Oreoleo

The RPS writeup has me slightly more interested, but I'll still have no problem waiting for the inevitable half-off Steam weekend sale to pick this up.

1-D_FTW

All those melee weapons sound fantastic for versus mode. Image the joy of being able to camp in corners with chainsaws and axes!

EDIT: Unless you can FF your teammates with those weapons. Then things suddenly got interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom