• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 officially announced. November 17th release date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Concept17

Judging by the new Survivors, I'm going to assume Valve took both the L4D and TF2 teams and put them to work on this, and then some.

They had to have known they made an absolutely awesome concept work before L4D was released or shortly after and have gotten a lot of people working on this. Its the only thing that makes sense because I am so damned confused right now.

dionysus

Yaldog
Hopefully the mod community gives the middle finger to valve and l4d2 and supports l4d only. That is if they ever get a real SDK.

Lumine

A bit too early.

At the very least I hope this works as some sort of expansion so that it keeps the old characters and campains in the new version. And not be at full price.

First game still has (had?) a lot of life left in it and was begging for more content. Oh well.

bdouble said:
Yeah totally eating crow on this one. Was really the only thing they showed that made my jaw drop. Was in disbelief. It just doesn't make much sense.

Yeah. I would hope that they just add in these scenarios, characters, weapons and updates into the original game and sell it to us. I wouldn't mind paying for that. The whole thing about Valve is you don't leave the old games behind and this is doing just that.

Yeah, I'd be totally down for that. Pay £20 and get a serious amount of solid and high quality content, that sounds absolutely fine. But splitting the community? That's so anti-Valve that it makes me weep inside, it really does, it completely undoes all the great work Valve have done in the past. Valve support 10 year old communities, they don' split them up after a year.

If this really is a standalone release then I think I'll have to justs it it out if only out of principle. I can't support this new direction from one of the only developers that I thought truly got the PC platform.

Frigging Xbox 360 gaming, diluting the experience one game and feature at a time.

Xater

syllogism said:
To be fair it has a lot more content than the original

They should have release the first game with more content anyway. Now it really looks like they relased the first one early to make a few bucks and then cranks this thing out.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
brain_stew said:
Yeah, I'd be totally down for that. Pay £20 and get a serious amount of solid and high quality content, that sounds absolutely fine. But splitting the community? That's so anti-Valve that it makes me weep inside, it really does, it completely undoes all the great work Valve have done in the past. Valve support 10 year old communities, they don' split them up after a year.

If this really is a standalone release then I think I'll have to justs it it out if only out of principle. I can't support this new direction from one of the only developers that I thought truly got the PC platform.
Totally agree, I sent Gabe an email which will probably be ignored, but you never know! It does seem like the majority of the opinions about this are negative.

The trailer had lots of recycled sound effects. I know Valve does that a lot, but they're starting to do it just a bit too much. I guess the zombies sounding the same makes sense, but I know I heard the Scout's bat near the end. My mind immediately said "BONK!" :lol

guise

Rest assured that their dialogue and commentary is shaping up to be as fun and witty as before, and fans of HBO's The Wire might recognize one of the voices.

Hell yeah bitches!

eznark

Banned
I expected L4D to get some Valve love and get fleshed out for awhile (a la TF2). If I had know they were going to pop out another (probably) half baked sequel I would have passed on the half-baked original.

ArjanN

Hey look a new Valve game, let's all complain!!

It's not too early at all. People who think L4D didn't have enough content are full of it: I've put more hours into L4D than any game the last couple of years.

I'm attempting to muster up some sort of indignation towards L4D2, but the new information combined with the fact that I've probably sunk at LEAST 100 or more hours on L4D, makes it REALLY HARD.

bdouble

brain_stew said:

Yeah not even a matter of paying for the content. It seems like it would be worth US$40 but the fact that the original would most likely die is what irks me. Really its not even a problem of balance to put in new weapons and enemies. Everything is random anyways. Will wait and see. It may very well be integrated into L4D on the PC.\

\/\/Yeah what did happen with Valve South aka Turtle Rock? Wasn't there some drama there?

aeolist

Banned
This is disheartening. One of the big reasons I picked up L4D was because I assumed that Valve would be supporting it for a good long while with new content, like they said they would.

Now this new one looks great and all, but when I know that L4D3 may well be coming in 2010 I have no great motivation to pick it up at full price. This makes me worry about basically every other Valve game that's announced from now on as well, since who knows how much they'll decide to milk their IPs?

saelz8

This happened because of Valve South (Turtle Rock). I bet.

They probably had nothing better to do. The trailer was cool, but that's it.

depward

This looks like L4D 1.5. And I shelled out $60 for a game that probably should have been priced at $30. So this is a definite no.

The story starts in Savannah and works its way to New Orleans. The Savannah campaign is intriguing because all Chet would say is that it's a city where the zombie infection hasn't hit yet.

OMG COOL

epmode

EviLore said:
Amazed that Valve would produce a cash-in sequel like this.
Agreed. All of the changes in the IGN article are iterative tweaks that we'd normally see over a year's worth of DLC. Take a look at Team Fortress 2.

And hell, I KNOW I read interviews where the L4D guys talk about supporting this game with TF2-style content patches. New campaigns, new players, new weapons, new bosses. Am I crazy?

Bunny

still don't understand why they're doing a sequel so soon, and they haven't even given us the ability to play custom maps online in L4D1.

Dragmire

This isn't so bad. I was disappointed at first, but it seems like a pretty different game to me. I think it would be pretty drastic to add all of that into the current L4D. They were probably working on new map expansions and improved the formula enough that a sequel just made more sense. I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt here. I think Valve deserves it.

Concept17

The game just appears to be lacking the atmosphere and smaller touches that make L4D so memorable. I can understand adding campaigns in daylight...but the game has no sense of zombie apocalypse at all.

dorkimoe

remember when i said that the sequel would be pushed out due to the popularity of this game on xbox and xbox live? and you all made fun of me and said i was an idiot.

IN
YOUR
FACE

You all underestimate the power of xbox live and the console (i dont mean physical power like processing) I mean selling power. Its like throwing a steak into a group of starving kids in africa. You do it once..you get results. So why not do it again..SOON before it wears off?

eznark said:
I expected L4D to get some Valve love and get fleshed out for awhile (a la TF2). If I had know they were going to pop out another (probably) half baked sequel I would have passed on the half-baked original.
Yeah, I remember thinking the price was steep at launch, but I felt -- like everyone else -- that it would be worth it over the years with Valve supporting it with a bunch of content. Sad to see my faith in Valve backfire. :(

Sciz

So, uh, hey Valve, what happened to all that talk about your games being an ongoing service as opposed to the traditional model?

Shogun

Jeeze the sense of entitlement in this thread. We've been getting free content and support for the community from valve for a year, and just cause they have another commercial product ready that we can opt to pay for ( mind you after already giving us a free update on 360 and PC for their original product ) we condemn them?

We don't even know if they are going to stop support for the original, OR the price point of this new product. And even if it hasn't, what are we so pissed about? That we only got one free update out of them in comparison to the 0 free updates most commercial games give us at all? I hate GAF at E3.

Loxley

Can someone link me to where I can download the full game (or I guess the demo would be fine) please? I'm anxious to post my impressions since many of you seem to have already played through the game in it's entirety.

I mean, it's not like you're pulling all of these accusations out of your ass based off minutes of footage of a game that you didn't even knew existed when you woke up this morning and more than likely isn't even out of alpha testing yet.

But like I said, a link would be much appreciated :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom