• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Preview/Impressions Thread - You will say "wow." (see post #217)

zagman505

Neo Member
Finally put in a pre-order for this at Gamestop (yay rooster hat!). Would have done this much much much earlier, but I only just got back to college (my family lives abroad) and since this is the first game I've ever pre-ordered I wanted to do it in person. Just about 3 weeks left, I can't wait =D

And I'm glad to see that Scribblenauts had such an impressive booth at gamescon.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
mr.saturn said:
Man, that is a nice booth, looks like Scribblenauts is getting all the attention it deserves.

Did anyone see some advertisements already? TV ads or posters?

KScorp

Orpheon said:
Air the latest trailer on television as an advertisement and watch the floodgates open.
That trailer is mostly aimed at gamers, so its best place is on the internet. The other two trailers are more appropriate for everyone else.

Majukun said:
there's the tiniest possibility for the NA version to have italian in it?

I think we already know the languages, don't we?

English
Spanish (two dialects, I forget which)
French (two dialects, again, I forgot))

Majukun

SirPenguin said:

English

you've crushed my hope
50499923.gif

I've read (on a Dutch gaming site) that the release has been delayed to october. I guess this is for EU only? Are the translations taking more time than planned?

Forkball

This game needs to come out already. It feels like it's been done since E3. I don't know if my Best Buy gift card can go much longer without being used!

So while writing something up I came up with what I hope is a really fun idea...it's a self-imposed challenge. We'll call it "MacGyver Mode"

Basically, because the game could contain damn near every object that could possibly be in your house it lends itself quite well to a MacGyver-esque challenge of solving as many puzzles as you can using only items within your reach. I imagine most of us don't have an axe or chainsaw or beaver (hmm) within our reach...so can you imagine solving the "starite in tree" level by gluing office supplies together? Or climbing stairs made out of textbooks. Basically, it'd make this:

No this is true! This is the final big reveal of Scribblenauts!

We've changed Scribblenauts to now require you to first be in the range of the word.
If you want to type elephant you need to be within 15 feet of a real elephant. Don't worry we've hired 1000s of people called "Scribble Friends" to attached RFID chips to everything in the world. Hence we couldn't do proper nouns because we couldn't get permission to include all those people. Your pet though? Your car? Your house? Already been tagged! We're ninja like that!

a reality :lol

Blizzard

Banned
THREE WEEKS left! I think it may be time to order a black matte DSi to celebrate! Is Amazon as good a place as any to get a new one, or is there a good common retail store I should check out? :D

Haunted

:Motorbass said:
yeah, the gamescom booth was awesome! (Looks smaller in the pic than it was!)

5b4v8z.jpg
That is awesome.

"Überlege - Schreibe - Löse" (Think - Write - Solve) doesn't flow as smoothly as "Write Anything. Solve Everything.", though. But I realise that a literal translation would sound even worse.

edit: hey, I just saw that the official website is in 12 languages - that's impressive.

o0achilles0o

Neo Member
Blizzard said:
THREE WEEKS left! I think it may be time to order a black matte DSi to celebrate! Is Amazon as good a place as any to get a new one, or is there a good common retail store I should check out? :D

Sadly Nintendo has price-locked all it's hardware. So when you want to buy a DSi, you'll pay $169.99 anywhere you go. That being said find some place with free shipping or just go to your local Target/Wal-Mart/GameStop/GameCrazy/Fred Meyer/etc. and pick one up. They're GRREEEAAAT!

Blizzard

Banned
o0achilles0o said:
Sadly Nintendo has price-locked all it's hardware. So when you want to buy a DSi, you'll pay $169.99 anywhere you go. That being said find some place with free shipping or just go to your local Target/Wal-Mart/GameStop/GameCrazy/Fred Meyer/etc. and pick one up. They're GRREEEAAAT!
Yeah, but I didn't know if anywhere might happen to have a deal on something additional for free, though that's unlikely. I guess I need to get new screen covers too. Any recommendations? (sorry if this is too off-topic)

And I don't know about GameStop, but my experience with them is that they never have hardware, only empty boxes of stuff they don't have in stock. :lol

Lovechild

Neo Member
SirPenguin said:
Basically, because the game could contain damn near every object that could possibly be in your house it lends itself quite well to a MacGyver-esque challenge of solving as many puzzles as you can using only items within your reach.

Haha! I'm game! :D

In six weeks. :(

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
"Überlege - Schreibe - Löse" (Think - Write - Solve) doesn't flow as smoothly as "Write Anything. Solve Everything.", though. But I realise that a literal translation would sound even worse.
Four years of high school German, all that springs to mind is Schreib Alles, Löse Alles, which seems rather redundant, yah. Unless, maybe you could do like Schreib Jedes, Löse Alles, but that doesn't seem right.

o0achilles0o

Neo Member
Blizzard said:
Yeah, but I didn't know if anywhere might happen to have a deal on something additional for free, though that's unlikely. I guess I need to get new screen covers too. Any recommendations? (sorry if this is too off-topic)

And I don't know about GameStop, but my experience with them is that they never have hardware, only empty boxes of stuff they don't have in stock. :lol

Don't bother buying any screen protectors except for the HORI brand. These ones: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001U0O6KE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Worth every penny. I've had the DS Lite version for like a year and a half and the screen protectors are still scratch-free.

Ender A6

Neo Member
Toma said:
Has anyone else made any plans on what to do with the game? besides playing normally of course. If I recall correctly a friend of mine mentioned that he wanted to solve every level with a dinosaur involved,if possible each level a different one.
yeah, i've been making a lost of things i want to try and some combinations that could be fun. like get a bunch of dinosaurs and then a meteor. a librarian and someone that makes noise. mailman and dog. shark, air tank, and a gun (from jaws). nerd and jock. cheerleader and food. fridge and atom bomb. witch and water (oz). wardrobe and gaslight post. fairy dust and a clock tower.
Does anyone have any other good combinations? i also want to do MacGyver mode, and play it in spanish to test my vocab.

Firestorm

SirPenguin said:

English
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/06/scribblenauts/
As if 10,000-plus words in the English language weren’t enough for the developers to deal with, Gavoni revealed that the North American build of the game will include Brazilian Portugeuse, French, and Spanish as well as English. The French and Spanish language sets will also have Latin American and French-Canadian alternatives.

Blizzard

Banned
o0achilles0o said:
Don't bother buying any screen protectors except for the HORI brand. These ones: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001U0O6KE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Worth every penny. I've had the DS Lite version for like a year and a half and the screen protectors are still scratch-free.
Thank you kind sir! I think those (or something very similar) are what I've had on my DS lite for like a year and a half (since pokemon diamond/pearl came out). They probably have a few little scratches in the protectors themselves, but yeah. I just need to avoid playing rhythm games much without those stupid spinny wheels. :D

I'll probably just order those protectors along with a DSi and maybe a case on Amazon so I can get them all in one package. I've got time for it to ship before Scribblenauts anyway.

As for combinations, I like Wile E. Coyote style ideas as discussed earlier.

mj1108

Firestorm said:
Google says he's an underwear model.
I did not go any further seeing as I'm at work and not a fan of males in underwear.

I did a google image search and yeah it looks like he has his own line of underwear...

Here's a safe picture of him:
andrewchristiansolo.jpg

Cyndar

Neo Member
Just got my September Game Informer. There's a page for Scribblenauts next to 358/2 Days. From what I've read, they're really excited for it. I'll try and get a scan up later.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Cyndar said:
Just got my September Game Informer. There's a page for Scribblenauts next to 358/2 Days. From what I've read, they're really excited for it. I'll try and get a scan up later.
Don't. Magazine scans are banned here.

Sagitario

Firestorm said:
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/06/scribblenauts/

As if 10,000-plus words in the English language weren’t enough for the developers to deal with, Gavoni revealed that the North American build of the game will include Brazilian Portugeuse, French, and Spanish as well as English. The French and Spanish language sets will also have Latin American and French-Canadian alternatives.

Awesome! My brothers will love being able to play the game in LA Spanish :D ...

Is there confirmation about how many save files/profiles the game will have? Because of the huge amount of data I don't think it will include more than 2...

Haunted

The_Technomancer said:
Four years of high school German, all that springs to mind is Schreib Alles, Löse Alles, which seems rather redundant, yah. Unless, maybe you could do like Schreib Jedes, Löse Alles, but that doesn't seem right.
That's exactly right. I am German and I'm totally struggling to come up with a more literal translation that's better than Überlege-Schreibe-Löse. It's not so bad.

Maybe one could work something out with "Schreib was du willst" (write what you want) and go from there.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Greetings. I'm new here. This is the story of how Scribblenauts brought me to NeoGAF, NeoGAF brought me to Scribblenauts, 5th Cell changed videogames forever and, along the way, changed the world. Special thanks go to my good friend Skychrono, who apparently knows Feep (?!) and did me quite a service in bringing me aboard the hype train.

It shall be presented in the manner of a teleplay. Please use your imaginations.

By the way, before I forget, did you know you guys are all over the Scribblenauts Wikipedia page? Amazing. As is the ESRB rating for this game; it is chock full of gems like:
Steak can be attached to a baby to attract lions.

Anyway, curtain up.
--
Hawk (that's me): Golly! E3 is just about wrapped up! I do believe I'll head over to my favorite gaming sites, ********, *******, and *** to check out the awards. Sigh- as usual, I must give in to my temptation to jump all the way ahead to the Game of the Show and see which of the various high-profile sequels this year will be worth- BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH???
*Here, Hawk consumes every single scrap of print and video media available on Scribblenauts, and then reads/watches it all again.*
Scribblenauts: Buy me, Hawk, and we'll play among the stars!
Hawk: That does sound nice. But I am quite frugal with spending money on games, and I rarely pre-order anything. Wait here, and I'll go get a second opinion.
Scribblenauts: Tee hee!
Hawk: Why, good day, Skychrono my old friend. Might I inquire: hast thou ever heardst of a gaming title known as Scribblenauts?
Skychrono: OMGfapfapfapsoamazingandcreativetensofthousandsofobjectscrowbardresslikegordonfreemangodridingonskateboardamazingfanfeedbackandkeyboardcatOMGyouhavetoreadpost217timetravelinganddinosaurskillingrobotzombiesandIknowFEEPandamazingartworkOMGandnowpost217isINTHEGAMEOMGOMGZOMGlink.
Hawk: Well, Chrono, I must admit I have no idea what the fuck any of that meant, but I'll take your word for it ...
*Hawk reads this very thread starting at page 1, and finally reaches Post #217.*
Hawk: ...

***PREORDER GET!***

Hawk: Boy, September can't come soon enough. I guess I will keep reading this thread in the meantime, seeing as the NeoGAF community seems to be a fine lot. Oh wow, people are starting to make up Avatars in Yan's art style. These are pretty clever. Hey look, there's Samus. And Ridley!
*Hawk continues reading.*
Hawk: Hah, what an adorable Kirby and Dancing Charmander! My day has been brightened.
*More reading.*
Hawk: ...is that Tobias from Arrested Development? Jesus christ.
*Still more yet.
Hawk: ...my god, it's Manny Calavera.
Annnnd more.
Hawk: Sweet fucking thor, that TF2 Spy has a piece of paper taped to his head disguising him as Maxwell, and is still smoking a cigarette. I may faint.
Scribblenauts: I know, isn't it amazing what unbridled creativity I have inspired before even being released?
Hawk: It really is. I've always believed that the truly best games are those that challenge the imagination of those who'll play them. Developers that make those kinds of games really deserve to succeed.
Scribblenauts: Speaking of which, if you preorder me at a GameStop you can get a rooster hat just like Maxwell!
Hawk: ...

***PREORDER GET++!***

Hawk: Wow. I think I'd really like to post my experience to this thread on NeoGAF. I'll register for an account!
*An hour later...*
Hawk: No account yet! They must have a pretty stringent review process.
*The next day...*
Hawk: Still nothing. Maybe it's cause it's the weekend?
*The next day...*
Hawk: Hmmm....
*One week later...*
Hawk: That was a good cup of coffee. Might as well check NeoGAF again- d'oh. Well, I'm sure they'll email me a registration message when my account is up, I'll just forget about it for now.
*Here we see Hawk's hype-meter decreasing for a while, as he plays other games and avoids Scribblenauts related-news for a while.*
Hawk's 5-year-old nephew, Julian: *stumbles across dusty DS* Hey what's this?
Hawk: Oh, that's just my Nintendo DS...
Julian: Can I take it home and then keep it?
Hawk: Well... *Experiences surge of Scribblenauts-related goodness, eyes go wide* NO! NO YOU MAY NOT!
Scribblenauts: Good choice, friend!
Hawk: Hey, that reminds me, I wonder if NeoGAF decided I was a degenerate or if they finally let me in...
NeoGAF: I am Bender. Please insert girder.
Hawk: Oh, joy. Now, to make my first post on the very thread that convinced me to register...
*Curtains.*
--

Hope your view was okay from the balcony. Anyway, to sum up: All I have for gaming is a PC and a DS. On September the 15th, Resident Evil 5, Batman: Arkham Asylum, and Red Faction: Guerrilla will all be released for PC. And I WON'T BE BUYING OR PLAYING ANY OF THEM, BECAUSE I WILL BE PLAYING SCRIBBLENAUTS.

I have never bought more than one copy of a game before. In fact, I will usually do everything I can to be able to try out a game without spending any money so I can see whether or not it really has enough value to warrant a $50ish purchase. But in this case, I'm not just thinking about what a game will be worth in dollars to me... I legitimately want the developers to be rewarded for their efforts and continue coming out with great games.

I really believe that Jackson and crew are on to something here. I think that this kind of game is exactly what will push the industry in new directions, expand the number of people who try videogames and love them, and challenge consumers to value inspiration and creativity over shaders and sequels.

Thank you NeoGAF, thank you 5th cell, thank you Jackson and Scribblenauts. The world is a better place for the lot of you.

~Hawk

P.S.: First person to scribble me up a Hawk avatar (or just pull the assets for 'Hawk' from the game, if you are someone who can) gets to be my best friend forever. I have good stories!

Blizzard

Banned
That actually was a good story, Hawk. If no one else does it, I will try to personally make you an avatar from the ingame graphic linked above. :D

Hawkian said:
P.S.: First person to scribble me up a Hawk avatar (or just pull the assets for 'Hawk' from the game, if you are someone who can) gets to be my best friend forever. I have good stories!

OMG BAN!!! Stealth request when requests are ban worthy!

So if I make up a sweeeet story can I shove in line too?

Blizzard

Banned
CorporalDork said:
OMG BAN!!! Stealth request when requests are ban worthy!

So if I make up a sweeeet story can I shove in line too?
Well most everyone has given up making avatars, so eh. :p

Plus the big thing with him is that the hawk is already (I think) available in some of the press materials, so I was just going to grab it and post it from what the earlier person linked. If he gets banned, then you can have his hawk. :lol

I -really- wish there was a screenshot feature on the DSi though. :( I'm buying at least two copies of the game, but I wish there it was legal for me to emulate it too using one of my purchased copies, since then I could take [awesome?] screenshots and have a big screen.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I don't seem to be banned... that is an excellent rule to know, though o.o

My apologies to the mods that be. *prays on knees and such*

And zomg blizzard, thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou! I expected to have to wait a day (if not get flamed to a crisp in the first place). Doesn't it look shiny? Exactly what I wanted :D

I recommend everybody should check out this interview, which I know was posted already, but is one of the best in my opinion: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/creative-director-scribblenauts/54423?r=1#comment_head_text

+1 Abraham Lincoln. Can't get the grin off my face... I will without a doubt be setting Abraham Lincoln on fire my first day playing... something I haven't been able to do in a videogame since Ooga Booga, which by the way, despite only being available on Dreamcast, everyone should play at least once.

Blizzard

Banned
Well, if you had looked at the title of the avatar thread in the last month or so, you probably would have seen the thing about being banned.

In general here on NeoGAF, the rule is that if a junior member is banned it's permanent, so that's why you want to be extra careful. :p At any rate, you're hopefully pretty safe. Welcome to the club!

Got a new preview here with actual new info. That's a first in awhile!

http://www.videogamer.com/ds/scribblenauts/preview-1953.html

--If you're holding milk while using a time machine it turns into cheese when you emerge in the different time. If you toss that cheese into a freezer a block of ice with cheese in the middle will pop out.

--There exists a level where you have a rescue a king from a cage. The lever to open the cage is guarded by a dragon, who in turn is guarded by fire. There's also a chasm that prevents the king from escaping. Lots of little challenges.

--God and Satan are the only two religious figures to make the final list. I wonder if that means no Zeus/Thor/etc.

--You can store up to 8 user created levels. Well, the direct quote it you can "build" up to 8 of them, but I assume the wording suggests you have room for 8 levels.

mclem

SirPenguin said:
So while writing something up I came up with what I hope is a really fun idea...it's a self-imposed challenge. We'll call it "MacGyver Mode"

Basically, because the game could contain damn near every object that could possibly be in your house it lends itself quite well to a MacGyver-esque challenge of solving as many puzzles as you can using only items within your reach. I imagine most of us don't have an axe or chainsaw or beaver (hmm) within our reach...so can you imagine solving the "starite in tree" level by gluing office supplies together? Or climbing stairs made out of textbooks.

Mental note: only play in hardware stores.

So... I'm trying to come up with reasons not to import. I can usually hope to get it within a week or so of release if I do snag an import copy, which isn't too far away and quite a bit sooner than the Euro release.

I'm reluctant to miss out on playing it at the same time as other GAFfers and comparing solutions.

Top Bottom