• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Preview/Impressions Thread - You will say "wow." (see post #217)

o0achilles0o

Neo Member
zagman505 said:
One question though (and this may have been answered before). If you type in 'dog', what exactly happens? Do you just get a generic dog, and then you can get something more specific by entering say German Shepard, Chihuahua, etc? Or does it prompt you for a specific type of dog? Does the game even differentiate between or recognize different dog breeds?

This page here, (which is in Portuguese,) has a video at the bottom showing them summoning all kinds of dog breeds... not sure if they do just "dog" however.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
zagman505 said:
Well, I'm not going to complain about helibackpack, since the object exists, and is better than having to type out helicopter backpack.

Ack! I'm not complaining at all! Sorry, Jackson, if I came off that way. I hope that Scribblenauts contains as many words that don't exist as absolutely possible! :D

One question though (and this may have been answered before). If you type in 'dog', what exactly happens?

I asked a similar question about "card," which is so generic a noun as to be used for everything ranging from a piece of paper with someone's business contact information on it to a piece of paper with markings used to play any number of games to a folded piece of paper used to wish someone to get well to a piece of plastic used to make purchases to a solid-state memory storage device to an amusing and slightly foolish person to a machine for disentangling the fibres of wool.

zagman505

Neo Member
Hawkian said:
Ack! I'm not complaining at all! Sorry, Jackson, if I came off that way. I hope that Scribblenauts contains as many words that don't exist as absolutely possible! :D

I asked a similar question about "card," which is so generic a noun as to be used for everything ranging from a piece of paper with someone's business contact information on it to a piece of paper with markings used to play any number of games to a folded piece of paper used to wish someone to get well to a piece of plastic used to make purchases to a solid-state memory storage device to an amusing and slightly foolish person to a machine for disentangling the fibres of wool.

Ah. Sorry for implying that you were complaining. I just didn't really see why you were arguing the point about helibackpack being a made up word so enthusiastically.

And thanks for the link o0achilles0o, that definitely clears many of the fears I was starting to have. Just 12 more days until release! Man I can't wait.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
zagman505 said:
didn't really see why you were arguing the point about helibackpack being a made up word so enthusiastically.

Cause it IS a made-up word! It was the enthusiasm of me discovering Scribblenauts had a feature I was unaware of. :lol

Beyond memes/in-jokes like NeoGAF, I thought it was only things you could look up in a dictionary (plus famous dead proper nouns like Lincoln).

EDIT: To clarify, I originally posted that "I didn't know Scribblenauts included words that don't exist" to which SmelllyWaffles replied with the wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/Helibackpack as if to say that it did exist, but that page just redirects to "Helicopter Backpack," etc.

Blizzard

Banned
In case anyone didn't know, I'm almost certain that we've seen examples in videos where it asks "Did you mean...?"

That can be "did you mean" in terms of "word doesn't exist" (unfortunately in the case of piton, it wasn't in one video that we saw, I think, so it offered other words as spelling suggestions). Or, it can be "did you mean" in terms of something like "balloon (hot air) or balloon (party)". I don't know if both kinds are in, but I think they probably are. :)

Diglet

Neo Member
I have finally been accepted on Neogaf. I'm so excited that my first post will be in such an epic thread.

I heard about this game a while ago, and then came Feeps post and E3. I have been excited about the game ever since. I pre-ordered my copy a while ago and have told everyone I know about the game.

When I first get the game I'm defiantly going to try the Greek Gods and Mythical Creatures. I will probably spend hours on the title screen.

Unfortunately I came a little late to the preview thread, but I cant wait for the official thread once the game is Finally released.

I want to give a huge thanks to Jackson and the rest of 5th cell for making this amazing game and being so nice to us Neogaffers.:D

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
*sigh* Man, these last few days especially I've just been wandering around, letting random words pop into my head, than thinking "I should try that in Scribblenauts"
I need like an Excel sheet of everything I'm going to try.

Blizzard

Banned
Jackson said:
Check your PMs, yo. :mad: You've escaped my fan-pestering of you after this, but this is my last hurrah!

*edit*

Technical director Fahlbusch — who was still in college in Germany — basically hacked the DS to build a demo version. But Nintendo rejected their request to become licensed developers.

Instead of giving up, they kept working on the game and produced a video with the game set to music and e-mailed it to Nintendo nine months later.

Nintendo relented, and 5th Cell used its remaining mobile royalties to hire interns from Redmond's DigiPen game-development school to finish "Drawn to Life."
Wow, it's like Bob's game...it's good to know someone higher-profile got rejected by Nintendo at first. :lol

mr.saturn

Neo Member
Wow Jackson, that's interesting.
It's a good thing everything worked out and you were able to get the awesome that is Drawn to Life out, otherwise, this thread probably wouldn't exist

Jackson said:

Article said:
THQ agreed to publish the title, which sold a million copies and funded what's now a 34-person studio putting the finishing touches on "Scribblenauts" and aiming to release games for the Wii and Xbox Live in the next year or two.

owlrael6ms.jpg

Jackson

Blizzard said:
Check your PMs, yo. :mad: You've escaped my fan-pestering of you after this, but this is my last hurrah!

*edit*

Wow, it's like Bob's game...it's good to know someone higher-profile got rejected by Nintendo at first. :lol

buh? I didn't get any PM from you recently. :)

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
article said:
The key has been to create, not imitate, Slaczka said. (Not to mention persistence and a few lucky breaks.)

"We want to make our own way," he said. "We don't want to follow."

Fucking A.

GDGF

Soothsayer
That's a cool interview, Jackson. Isn't that the same way the Stamper brothers got a license from Nintendo? (hacking the system--the NES in their case--and sending in demos until they relented I mean)

Not too much longer now :)

WowBaby

I'd love to have one of those Nintendo Magazine issues with the Scribblenauts cover. Too bad
I can't get one stateside.

EzLink

Banned
Jackson, not sure if I've said this yet since being approved on the GAF, but I would also like to add my showers of obscene amounts of borderline creepy praise. What you guys have pulled off is truly spectacular and is really really great for the industry. Really happy that you guys are getting the success you deserve :D Thanks ahead for a product that I'm sure will suck up waaaay too many hours of my life!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think an unexpected feature of Scribblenauts is that it will teach people new words or uses for words.

Did you mean...
Dragon (Creature)
Dragon (Weapon)

Dragon... weapon? Wikipedia time!

Dragon_pistol.jpg

Scribblenauts wins again.

Sorry, I haven't been paying attention to this thread after about page 30 or so but I was wondering when the official thread was going to go up? Just figured it would be up by now.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It is, I now know, the sawed-off version of a blunderbuss.

...ten bucks says blunderbuss is in there too.

There's also this:
300px-Dragon_04.jpg

The M47 dragon. But I forgive them for not having modern military weapons.

ZZMitch

So acording to the article, Scribblenauts is coming out on the Wii and XBLA as well?

If so that is great! I will buy two copies :lol

Blizzard

Banned
ZZMitch said:
So acording to the article, Scribblenauts is coming out on the Wii and XBLA as well?

If so that is great! I will buy two copies :lol
Noooo! (or at least, nothing has said that) The company has just said they're basically done with DS development after this, so it sounds like 5th Cell will try to make some Wii and XBLA games.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Here's a question: How much would you pay for PC Version of Scribblenauts with internet object trading, Objectnaut access, and editors?

I think I could live to part with quite a bit.

Blizzard

Banned
Doggone it, wrong thread. Edited out.

About the wallpapers, my favorites are the panda and the pigs flying one. I wonder if you can do the panda thing in the game...

Puffles

Banned
The ROM is out! If you have a flash cart, and you want to play early, go download it!

Just make sure that you still pay for the game. It's really too awesome not to buy. (And you want your rooster hat, right?)

Puffles said:
The ROM is out! If you have a flash cart, and you want to play early, go download it!

Just make sure that you still pay for the game. It's really too awesome not to buy. (And you want your rooster hat, right?)
: [

Puffles

Banned
I really don't see how I'm hurting the developers by downloading the game, given that I have a copy pre-ordered. They still get just as much money from me in the end, right?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
While neither condoning nor condemning your opinion on the matter, I simply warn you that posting such things on a forum is not the safest route to take in terms of survival.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Puffles said:
I really don't see how I'm hurting the developers by downloading the game, given that I have a copy pre-ordered. They still get just as much money from me in the end, right?

Well, maybe you're not personally hurting the developers, since you'll be buying the game too, but by opening stating that the game is available through other illegal means, you're making others aware of that, which could affect their personal judgment.

Yeah, in theory you're not really doing anything wrong, but that doesn't make it any less of a douchey move to bring it up in a Scribblenauts thread on GAF. If I were you, I'd edit my previous posts to exclude any reference of obtaining the game early through illegal means. Don't just do it because it's borderline against the rules on GAF, do it because it'll make you be less of a douche.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Jackson said:
buh? I didn't get any PM from you recently. :)

Man, you actually check those? Now I feel bad that I haven't gotten a response from the last two I sent. :(
Lol, I know you're mad busy.

Amir0x

Banned
Puffles said:

Well at the very least you're personally hurting the collective intelligence of GAF and will never post here again.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Amir0x said:
Well at the very least you're personally hurting the collective intelligence of GAF and will never post here again.
You may want to take a look into the official thread too, it's getting weird there.

Puffles has got to be the dumbest person ever.
One part for pirating and another part for admitting to pirating in a forum dedicated to the love of video games and their creation.

I hope the virus that 5th cell introduced in the prerelease version takes its toll! Don't cry to me when your DS gets bricked!

KScorp

According to the official thread, many stores started selling copies early. So, many people are, unfortunately, getting Scribblenauts early legally.

Top Bottom