• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Preview/Impressions Thread - You will say "wow." (see post #217)

KScorp

I bet there's going to be a "Rooster hat pics" thread dedicated to awesome pictures involving that hat.

Unfortunately I won't be able to participate as I didn't preorder. D=

Orison

Neo Member
I sure hope that I can pick up my preorders on time. God only knows if EB Canada is going to get the hats. My local store doesn't know anything about it.

Then again, ebgames.ca still lists titles from July 2008 (*coughFF4DScough*) as "New Releases" on its site, and no mention of the DSi at all.

I'm a bit surprised at the responses, to be honest. Like, I'd never expect people to want this on the iPhone, but there seems to be a good amount. I also half-expected most people to say it doesn't need to go on different platforms, but mostly everyone seems to want it somewhere else.

Pretty interesting

o0achilles0o

Neo Member
SirPenguin said:
I'm a bit surprised at the responses, to be honest. Like, I'd never expect people to want this on the iPhone, but there seems to be a good amount. I also half-expected most people to say it doesn't need to go on different platforms, but mostly everyone seems to want it somewhere else.

Pretty interesting

I think it would work really well on the iPhone as well. As it stands, the top screen on the DS seems to be only used for statistics and whatnot, and this could easily be integrated into some kind of HUD. The pick-it-up-and-play aspect of Scribblenauts seems to lend itself very well to the iPhone platform.

MNC

SirPenguin said:
I saw that earlier. I had no idea what the hell it's trying to accomplish. I still don't
making up situations and then letting people solve them. Basically the game but without the game :lol

KScorp

SirPenguin said:

Pretty interesting
Not everyone is willing to get a DS; they often want it on a platform they can access easily. A computer is probably the most common electronic out there. Although the iPhone can clearly support Scribblenauts, I personally wouldn't want it there. It just seems like an awkward portable to play with for extended periods of time.

bounchfx

SirPenguin said:
I'm a bit surprised at the responses, to be honest. Like, I'd never expect people to want this on the iPhone, .

er, if anything, the game is better suited for iphone. and why wouldn't we want it for iphone if that means we can play it anywhere without needing our ds? :p

bounchfx said:
er, if anything, the game is better suited for iphone. and why wouldn't we want it for iphone if that means we can play it anywhere without needing our ds? :p

Better suited? How do you figure?

Blizzard

Banned
It's like two weeks until Scribblenauts! What's awful is that I made the mistake of ordering my screen protectors with my second Scribblenauts preorder, so they'll come along WITH that preorder, which means I'll get them like two weeks after the release date. YAY AMAZON.

At any rate, I can play the GameStop one on my good old DS Lite. I'm still waiting on you to confirm my PM word guess though, Jackson! :mad:

Not everyone is willing to get a DS;

I was. And I'm a pretty hard sell. Sure, not *everyone* is willing, but I'm saying that Scribblenauts was a system seller for me and I'm likely not alone.

That said, I would not have bought a DS had Scribblenauts been for DS and PC. If they do port it to the PC, would I regret my choice? I'm not sure. Probably not - it's turned me on to other enjoyable games (like TWEWY.)

I'm sorry but if you haven't found a system seller for the DS by now how would Scribblenauts change anything? The DS has already has years of awesome titles. This is just another great title among many.

I just happen to be a big PC gamer and didn't have a need for a portable system. But there's just something about Scribblenauts that hit the spot for me. I can't explain it any better than that.

zagman505

Neo Member
evilromero said:
I'm sorry but if you haven't found a system seller for the DS by now how would Scribblenauts change anything? The DS has already has years of awesome titles. This is just another great title among many.

While I agree that there are many great games for the DS, something about DS games just doesn't click for me. I'll play them and enjoy them for a bit, but I very rarely ever finish a game, sometimes I won't even get halfway. Also, I'm primarily a console gamer. However, I believe that Scribblenauts will be completely different, because it's just so unique. All the other good games on the DS looked great and all, but Scribblenauts is the game that made me truly want a DS (and the prospect of both Scribblenauts and Golden Sun DS is what pushed me to actually buy one).

Anyway, I guess I'm trying to say that people will have different opinions on what a system seller is for them. For someguyinahat, Scribblenauts was a system seller. For me, it took both Scribblenauts and Golden Sun DS (Golden Sun was the first non-Pokemon RPG I played, so I have a soft spot for the series).

As for other consoles, I would greatly appreciate a PC port/remake/sequel for Scribblenauts, because on PC Scribblenauts would have the potential to become so much greater than it already appears to be. And I guess an iPhone port wouldn't be too bad either.

o0achilles0o

Neo Member
Blizzard said:
It's like two weeks until Scribblenauts! What's awful is that I made the mistake of ordering my screen protectors with my second Scribblenauts preorder, so they'll come along WITH that preorder, which means I'll get them like two weeks after the release date. YAY AMAZON.

At any rate, I can play the GameStop one on my good old DS Lite. I'm still waiting on you to confirm my PM word guess though, Jackson! :mad:

Switch your order over to "ship my items as they become available." Err... shoot, maybe you can't with super saver shipping...

I'll tell you what... Amazon prime is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Seriously, if you can get 4 friends to go in on it with you and then share the membership among accounts to get the cost down, it's totally worth it. I had an 80 pound exercise bike shipped to me 2nd day for free with Prime - it's freaking awesome.

Forkball

That wallpaper is amazing.

Is anyone going to make a real official thread for this game? It comes out in two weeks, so get on it somebody!

SiegfriedFM said:
Playing for review right now (sorry, embargo as usual)

Sweet deal. Can you tell us when the embargo lifts? I was curious how close to release WB will push it.

Oh, and look at Scribblenauts movin' on up...

Edit: Guess that site is banned?

#20 in preorder sales!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
ZOMG LESS THAN TWO WEEKS

I realized I had lost the charger to my DS, bought a new one today.

*dusts off his original DS, wipes and recalibrates the screen, gives it a hug*

Blizzard

Banned
HUELEN10 said:
Just wanted to drop in and say that today one of my friends bought a DSi for this game! :D
Make that two people, I got mine a few days back. I also got an email today, apparently Amazon is shipping my case and screen protector early, even though I couldn't change the shipping preference setting after ordering!

Oh, and a guy at my work had heard of it but didn't really know much about it, and his wife had heard of it, so I'm trying to get them to look into more information so his wife gets one. They're engineers so I bet she'd like it at least. :D

o0achilles0o

Neo Member
Blizzard said:
Make that two people, I got mine a few days back. I also got an email today, apparently Amazon is shipping my case and screen protector early, even though I couldn't change the shipping preference setting after ordering!

Oh, and a guy at my work had heard of it but didn't really know much about it, and his wife had heard of it, so I'm trying to get them to look into more information so his wife gets one. They're engineers so I bet she'd like it at least. :D

Make that 3 people. I upgraded my Lite to a DSi just last week in anticipation of Scribblenauts.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Mr. Wonderful said:
So are the reviewers saying whether or not this game is actually living up to the hype yet?

I think this puts reviewers in a rather sticky position, as if they say it does not live up to the wow factor they are more-or-less admitting to a complete failure of their own
imagination.

So that narrows it down to one or two of the usual suspects I guess ...

EzLink

Banned
Wow, this has really snuck up pretty quickly. I still haven't pre ordered! As much as I hate Gamestop, I sure do love me some farm animal-themed head paraphenellia, so I better get on that quickly.

Huy

Neo Member
I think the main point the reviewers will raise will be the controls. Any "raw" footage of people new to the game is always pretty cringe-worthy, but that's to be expected, from any game. But yeah, reviewers are payed to look for problems, so you never know, all kinds of things could come up.

Can't wait to see some of the reviews, like.

What are we thinking? 9.5? Will it be liquid-silver joy under the skin of gamers and well-informed techno-men or a full-blown golden phenomenon?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
SirPenguin said:
I saw that earlier. I had no idea what the hell it's trying to accomplish. I still don't

They're demoing Scribblenauts at the GameStop Managers Conference in Vegas. Apparently they had a "stump scribblenauts" panel.

Ender A6

Neo Member
I love the screensaver (but it doesnt seem to work for me in snow leopard) good thing i have a pc next to me i can just have the screensaver running while i work on this computer.

Koomaster

SirPenguin said:
Looking to win a copy of Scribblenauts AND get resources on parenthood? Well, brother, have I the one stop shop for you.

http://www.parenthood.com/win_scribblenauts.php

This is the last place I'd expect to see a Scribblenauts competition...but...well, there you go!
Dominion Enterprises is not responsible for and does not warrant the safety or quality of the prize, and is not liable for any injury, damage or death related to the prize or its use.
Could I... could I die from playing too much Scribblenauts? @___@

*is scurred now* <___< >___>

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
SmellyWaffles said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Helibackpack&action=history

history of the Helibackpack redirect page, which shows that it was created January 2006, predating the Scribblenauts video by 3 1/2 years

CHEW ON THAT

*chews* I'm wracking my brain but it seems to me that all that proves is that Anthony Appleyard made the word up before Scribblenauts did, not that it isn't a made-up word.

RIGHT?

*CHEWS MORE*

zagman505

Neo Member
Well, I'm not going to complain about helibackpack, since the object exists, and is better than having to type out helicopter backpack.

One question though (and this may have been answered before). If you type in 'dog', what exactly happens? Do you just get a generic dog, and then you can get something more specific by entering say German Shepard, Chihuahua, etc? Or does it prompt you for a specific type of dog? Does the game even differentiate between or recognize different dog breeds?

Top Bottom