• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Activision Exploring Modern Warfare 2 Subscription Service

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Destructoid posted up an interesting story about a possible subscription service for Modern Warfare 2. They included pictures as well, which are included at the bottom of this post.

Destructoid said:
According to a mysterious survey making the rounds, Activision is considering creating an online service that would bring timed exclusive content, as well as premium extras, to the multiplayer side of the Call of Duty franchise.

The survey -- of which we can’t verify its validity, but certainly felt interesting enough to pass on -- specifically mentions that the supposed service would “enhance the multiplayer experience and provide exclusive access to a group of gameplay enhancements.” This includes early access to expansions and betas, and exclusive access to character skins, enhanced stat tracking, game modes and even “support for competitive play.”

The service may come with a monthly fee attached to it or may come bundled with a copy of Call of Duty for a flat rate. The monthly fee idea is especially interesting: in March, Activision’s Bobby Kotick hinted at the possibility of a Call of Duty MMO.

"...when you think about other properties that we own and control, like Call of Duty, and what would be the natural evolution of a property like Call of Duty into a massively multiplayer environment, and how do you monetize that," Kotick stated at the Morgan Stanley Technical Conference three billion Internet years ago.

Well, this theoretical online shell -- not quite an MMO -- is certainly one way Activision could suck more rabid fan coin.
Source: http://www.destructoid.com/rumortoid-activision-creating-a-service-for-call-of-duty-135924.phtml

9k5yfm.jpg

2ecnlts.jpg

1zsmiu.jpg

JoJo13

Banned
I suppose now I can justify my non-purchase of CoD:MW2 for reasons other than just not liking the series and feeling that it's vastly overrated.

Activision is the industry's worst publisher.

unomas

Banned
Oh for fucks sake! This game doesn't make them enough money already? Hit em hard during a recession........great idea!

MGHA

I pay for xbox live because? They seem to be getting over their heads for just a sequel, or is it something els entirely?

Tntnnbltn

Only way I would agree to this would be if it were a free code that came with the game (to reduce trade-ins).

Otherwise, no thanks.

DogWelder

". . .add to the game. . ."
". . .gameplay enhancements."

:lol

Kotick is the worst CEO in gaming. I guess that means he's the best for shareholders.

Spike

JoJo13 said:
Activision is the industry's worst publisher.

Cannot be stated enough.

From this, to the statement that they will only publish titles that can come out on a yearly basis, to the constant feuding over Brutal Legend, and the splitting up of StarCraft 2 into three seperate packages.

Sadly, they will drag Blizzard down with them...

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Being fair, the middle one wasn't too bad. If they mean official leagues and everything with the bonus DLC. All treated as more of a special edition. I could be happy with that. Not like I'd buy it :lol But there are tons of players who would love something like that

xbhaskarx

That would save me $60. Unless the subscription service removed the stupid mountain climbing crap, in which case Activision would get my money.

PatzCU

DO. NOT. WANT.

This is the most absurd thing I've ever seen. 90% of the 'features' in that survey include what is already standard in almost any game out there. Character customization? Stat tracking? Team matching? Give me a fucking break.

There is a reason MMO's have a subscription fee. They allow an enormous amount of players to run around in a persistent world and they provide frequent content updates. Paid subscription models do not belong in a game like CoD. Battlefield 2 provides free stat tracking. Halo 3 provides free stat tracking. Half the Counter-Strike/TF2 servers provide free stat tracking.

Unbelievable.

I missed "War Room to Strategize' for $95 :lol

nyong

Banned
Not a freaking chance. And if they withhold basic features from non-subscription paying customers I will take my money elsewhere. Of course I'll Gamefly it for a couple weeks of action. No cash for you though Activision.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Personally, I can't wait to see what the "monetization of Battle.net" Activision keeps talking about ends up being.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
So...does this solidify that Activision is the publisher to hate and EA the one to love?

This is too weird. :lol

Slavik81

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Wow MS (halo) and EA haven't even resorted to this yet. I can see it happening though, and people actually using it.
Well, EA hasn't. Microsoft has. There was a Halo 3 subscription service that added more support for saved films, though I rarely heard about it.

spwolf

PatzCU said:
DO. NOT. WANT.

This is the most absurd thing I've ever seen. 90% of the 'features' in that survey include what is already standard in almost any game out there. Character customization? Stat tracking? Team matching? Give me a fucking break.

There is a reason MMO's have a subscription fee. They allow an enormous amount of players to run around in a persistent world and they provide frequent content updates. Paid subscription models do not belong in a game like CoD. Battlefield 2 provides free stat tracking. Halo 3 provides free stat tracking. Half the Counter-Strike/TF2 servers provide free stat tracking.

Unbelievable.

I missed "War Room to Strategize' for $95 :lol

yeah, if they want to make it subscription, do the damn FPS MMO game, something like MAG, just in persistent world. Dont just sell something that you already had included in games.

Nizz

This cannot go down like this... Like someone else said, they're making money hand over fist already. Do they really need to do this? This is one of my most wanted titles this year, but the idea of paying some type of subscription fee? PSN is free, but what about my 360 compadres who shell out for the X-Box Live service already? I don't like the sound of. Plus, another fps franchise is starting to creep in as my favorite, Battlefield Bad Company. Depending what goes down with this "idea". I still love the COD franchise, especially IW entries. But I don't like the sound of this...

inner-G

Banned
pay-for-play multiplayer!

I want to see the meltdowns!

Averon said:
How long until Activision collapse under their own shit? It can't be too long now, can it?
Depends on how many tens of millions of people buy their next game I guess.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Slavik81 said:
Well, EA hasn't. Microsoft has. There was a Halo 3 subscription service that added more support for saved films, though I rarely heard about it.

To be fair to Microsoft - the Halo 3 subscription service wasn't THAT integral to the online experience as this service Activision is proposing - you still got to use saved films.

Luckily, I don't think many people used it so hopefully Microsoft won't dabble too much in the idea.

Top Bottom