• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Activision Exploring Modern Warfare 2 Subscription Service

2real4tv

I guess selling tens of millions of copies of COD is not enough...I like COD series but not that much...Iam already tired of paying for DLC.

vesp

CounterSeal said:
I'm still a bit confused.. isn't Activision called Activision Blizzard now? Because they so don't deserve to have the word "Blizzard" in their corporate identity, like at all.
Blizzard is going to do the same thing with battle.net for sc2 and diablo 3. They've had a taste, they arent going back.

Foxix Von

The fuck? I don't even buy map packs, fuck this :lol

Well that's not entirely true I bought the MechAssault, halo 2 disc, and I think the star wars battle front... but all of those had a ton of content if I remember right... I just feel ripped off nowadays :lol

VQ

PnCIa

So funny...good thing i have no interest in CoD´s mp mode. But i can see a lot of people using this no matter what.

this gen is the beginning of the end.

pay dlc is the harbinger of death to videogames.

it opened the doors to ridiculous shit like this.

pay more for team matchmaking? really?

:lol :lol :lol

Vormund said:
I hope there was a comments box so you can tell them to FOAD.

OK. This has gotta be fucked up. Whenever I read someone type "Fuck Off And Die", suddenly the tone of voice in my head changes to that braceface Natalie Portman lookalike in Zodiac...

Yagharek

The Faceless Master said:

Indeed.

And guarantee that the service will be dropped after 2 years max. I would say 1 year, but we know that Cod 7: World at War 2 will be out next year, and the subscription will last until CoD8: Modern Warfare 3 hits. By which time, with all the map packs, subscriptions, and premium premium (yes, two premium tiers) content has been flogged, the most passionate (read: exploited) CoD fans will have paid for the game three times over.

I think Ill buy an extra EA game to spite Activision in light of this.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Splitting the community of a game that relies upon multiplayer for its longevity always works out well. Err, not. Fortunately for PC players, 95% of the MW experience can be had by playing BF2 on Karkand servers. :)

F#A#Oo

Banned
Slayer-33 said:
Guys

9tg2g8.jpg

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol @ the poll/percentage options

They won't even allow the person to say "No"

RandomVince said:
Indeed.

And guarantee that the service will be dropped after 2 years max. I would say 1 year, but we know that Cod 7: World at War 2 will be out next year, and the subscription will last until CoD8: Modern Warfare 3 hits. By which time, with all the map packs, subscriptions, and premium premium (yes, two premium tiers) content has been flogged, the most passionate (read: exploited) CoD fans will have paid for the game three times over.

This isn't for Modern Warfare you numpty but CoD franchise...

Jackl

RandomVince said:
Indeed.

And people will defend every ounce of it for years still. Because they love handing their paychecks to megacorps.

When basic features become subscription services.

Ballistictiger said:
If this was true we'll having people defending this monthly pay subscription in the future.
I doubt it's true.

It's not true for MW2, IW already confirmed that. But I can definitely see Activision doing this for CoD games. A big thing about this generation is not leaving money on the table. And if a publisher can make more money by doing something like this then they're going to do it. It's not like it blocks you out from playing it unless you pay for this service, it just gives you extra features. It sounds a lot like how Free Realms is set up actually.

Of course if they do it and it works (and it will work), that'll open the floodgates for all other publishers to start doing this.

SkySonata

Banned
Jackl said:
And people will defend every ounce of it for years still. Because they love handing their paychecks to megacorps.

When basic features become subscription services.

Blame the fools who pay for Xbox Live

F#A#Oo

Banned
Psychotext said:
If this and the UK RRP are to be believed; I think Activision are going for full on shooter fan wallet raping on this one.

As has been mentioned this subscription thing does not affect MW franchise but CoD...

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Holy crap I just noticed the Modern Warfare 2 price in the UK, RRP: £54.99

My lord Activision are truly wallet rapists. Feck the recession lets just scalp people even more.

Screw all of you who say they hope they do it for the lulz. That's way too risky of a gamble because what if they do it and enough people actually jump on that shit which starts a really bad slipperly slope when publishers realize people will pay for that shit. Way too much downside to risk for a good laugh. I hope the reaction just makes it so it never sees the light of day.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Deacan said:
Holy crap I just noticed the Modern Warfare 2 price in the UK, RRP: £54.99

My lord Activision are truly wallet rapists. Feck the recession lets just scalp people even more.

As long as Infinity Ward supports MW:2...that is all I care about tbh...

With CoD4 the support was almost non-existent after the initial 6 months...btw I'm not asking for Valve type service but CoD 4 is and was one of the most games on PSN/XBL and I felt that Infinity Ward just sat around idle not really supporting it as much as they could have.

Petrae

The Faceless Master said:

And with this post, the thread ends.

Seriously... not five years ago, we used to get full games for $50; now, thanks to a greedy DLC model, we're paying $60 for games that have fewer features and bonuses because the additional revenue stream is a goldmine for publishers.

Downloadable content is the epic failure of this console generation. Not the Red Rings of Death. Not the exorbitant price point of the PS3. Not forced Wii waggle. It's DLC.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Petrae said:
Downloadable content is the epic failure of this console generation. Not the Red Rings of Death. Not the exorbitant price point of the PS3. Not forced Wii waggle. It's DLC.

Publisher holding back features to sell as DLC is the worst thing.

There are plenty of good examples of DLC (GTA4, Team Fortress 2 etc).

Marty Chinn said:
Screw all of you who say they hope they do it for the lulz. That's way too risky of a gamble because what if they do it and enough people actually jump on that shit which starts a really bad slipperly slope when publishers realize people will pay for that shit. Way too much downside to risk for a good laugh. I hope the reaction just makes it so it never sees the light of day.
It doesn't matter. People have already shown much more willingness to suck up in this generation. It's not like companies will decide if this should be implemented or not based on this survey. I would say Activision has already decided to go ahead with this plan and it is trying to determine price point which it hopes should be acceptable.

Petrae

D4Danger said:
Publisher holding back features to sell as DLC is the worst thing.

There are plenty of good examples of DLC (GTA4, Team Fortress 2 etc).

I certainly won't disagree with your point; however, there have been more examples of the former (SFIV costumes, Ace Combat 6 and Beautiful Katamari unlock keys, RE5 Versus Mode, Arkanoid LIVE episodes) than of the latter (Fallout 3 and GTA IV expansions).

BlinkGT

F#A#Oo said:
As long as Infinity Ward supports MW:2...that is all I care about tbh...

With CoD4 the support was almost non-existent after the initial 6 months...btw I'm not asking for Valve type service but CoD 4 is and was one of the most games on PSN/XBL and I felt that Infinity Ward just sat around idle not really supporting it as much as they could have.
There will be unless two DLCs (map packs), 360 timed exclusive.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
unomas said:
Oh for fucks sake! This game doesn't make them enough money already?

That's the weird thing with Call of Duty 4, they barely released any DLC for it. Missed opportunity.

careful

Yeah... remember what happened to Bad Company when they tried charging for extra guns..? This could get real ugly.

On a personal note: FUCK YOU ACTIVISION

BlinkGT

Kiriku said:
That's the weird thing with Call of Duty 4, they barely released any DLC for it. Missed opportunity.
They didn't want gamers to stay on CoD4 when CoD:WaW released. They focused on CoD:WaW, CoD4 was already a success. It's Activision, the most important thing is money, money, money...

Top Bottom