• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Activision Exploring Modern Warfare 2 Subscription Service

KevinRo

Slavik81 said:
Well, EA hasn't. Microsoft has. There was a Halo 3 subscription service that added more support for saved films, though I rarely heard about it.

Also it lets you store online viewable vidoes. Although none of these features involve gameplay.

Christopher

shintoki said:
Being fair, the middle one wasn't too bad. If they mean official leagues and everything with the bonus DLC. All treated as more of a special edition. I could be happy with that. Not like I'd buy it :lol But there are tons of players who would love something like that

...why are you "being fair"? This is bullshit. Plus don't you Xbox owners already pay for online? Imagine that plus another fee for the games you want to play.

Cohsae

Shrinnan said:
So...does this solidify that Activision is the publisher to hate and EA the one to love?

This is too weird. :lol
EA picking up Brutal Legend (and then Activision suing) sealed that deal for me. EA are alright in my book these days. But god damn, fuck Activision.

Weenerz

Banned
So, if I am to get this correct, they want to mask DLC in a new "service" that they will charge monthly for? :lol

wu2u14.gif

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Cohsae said:
EA picking up Brutal Legend (and then Activision suing) sealed that deal for me.

That's actually what did it for me. This just helps support my original stance. I may not even purchase Brutal Legend, but I still want original IPs to be supported and the very fact that Activision didn't for the reasons they actually gave was just ridiculous.

smurfx

get some go again
i guess rip off micro transactions aren't enough for them anymore they want you to pay for the stuff every month. bet you these dickheads charge 9.99 a month and take even more things out of the game so they can make you feel like you are getting a deal. :lol

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
what a joke. fact is , given the size of the userbase, this'll probably be mildly popular. people will pay for anything :(

Dante

They go that route and I'll pass, Gonna be super busy with Uncharted 2 multi and MAG anyway. Jesus Activison.......

nyong

Banned
If this turns out to be true, I might organize a boycott. Seriously, fuck this. Find some other way to recoup your next gen losses asshats.

DiddyBop

ppl are already gonna be puttin down 60 friggin dollars for that game,and they will be doing it by the millions, now they wanna milk em for even more money?:lol

I'm still a bit confused.. isn't Activision called Activision Blizzard now? Because they so don't deserve to have the word "Blizzard" in their corporate identity, like at all.

DiddyBop said:
ppl are already gonna be puttin down 60 friggin dollars for that game,and they will be doing it by the millions, now they wanna milk em for even more money?:lol
$69.99 CAD before taxes...

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
For feck sake, I already pay for Xbox live and their stupid map packs.

MotherFan

Damn this is shit. WTF

Craziest one is the 50 bucks per 3 months that only lets you use the maps while the subscription takes place. You can't make this shit up. Fuck its more than WoW a month.

Sean

Banned
Am i understanding this right - 50$ for a quarterly subscription, meaning 200$ per year just for Call of Duty? :lol

I hope Activision go for this. Activision will have awesome holiday season.

Tony Hawk Ride , Band Hero, DJ Hero will cost > $100 for each game.

plus this subscription shit. :lol

you never know. gamers are suckers.

Slavik81

CounterSeal said:
I'm still a bit confused.. isn't Activision called Activision Blizzard now? Because they so don't deserve to have the word "Blizzard" in their corporate identity, like at all.
Where do you think their desire for more subscription services has come from? Blizzard is like the lord of subscription-based gaming services.

Dina

Combined with Xbox Live is what makes this so painful. 90% of the options should be standard anyway.

I'm not against the idea perse, but not more then 8 a month for MMO-like updates (new weapons, maps, perks, etc).

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Deja vu all over again. This is like when Activision was exploring a subscription based service off on Guitar Hero tunes.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Slavik81 said:
Where do you think their desire for more subscription services has come from? Blizzard is like the lord of subscription-based gaming services.

Yes one MMO and Blizzard is the lord of subscription-based services.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I let out an audible sigh.

I'm glad no one was around to hear it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Er, no think you Activision. None of that sounds like anything worth an subscription fee.

I wonder what kind of backlash the PC community would give it. Or the console community if they have to put up with it but PC doesn't...

Seriously, if this happens, then I guess I am not playing this game online I already don't particularly care for MMO games for this very reason, but this decision would really turn me off to any future online games that come out with this subscription service. Then again, it seems like most companies are greedy these days and will milk gamers for everything they are worth. I guess selling millions of games and map packs isn't enough anymore.

I'm very unlikely to go with any of those options. I'm more likely to borrow MW2 from a friend and give it back once I've completed the campaign. If Activision is lucky I'll pick the game up for $30 or so when the GOTY edition comes out.

vesp

Maybe this is the reason IW is trying to distance themselves from the COD name with Modern Warfare 2.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Top Bottom