• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borecast Episode 13: A Single White Glove, Bad Jobs, Ghostbusters, BlazBlue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Direct download - http://media.libsyn.com/media/borecast/Borecast13.mp3

This week Doug and Kevin reflect on past miserable workplace experiences, review a diverse selection of games, read your best fanboy stories, pose a couple of genuinely offensive Either/Or questions to each other, and mourn the loss of a dazzling performer who forever changed the face of entertainment. RIP, Karl Malden.

SEGMENT ONE: THE ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM, CRAPPY JOBS

There's been a dearth of Michael Jackson coverage since his death, so we take the first ten minutes of the show to fill that void with unwarranted opinions and factual inaccuracies.

(13:00) Doug talks about his time working in the automotive service industry and stripping bark off trees, while Kevin talks about working in a Chinese restaurant and on a contract painting crew. Tell us your crap job stories!

SEGMENT TWO: THE PLAYLIST, EITHER/OR, LISTENER MAIL

PLAYLIST

(48:50) Ghostbusters
(58:35) Fallout 3: Point Lookout
(1:04:55) BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger
(1:16:45) Dynasty Warriors 6: Empires
(1:29:00) Time Gentlemen, Please! - http://www.zombie-cow.com/

EITHER/OR

(1:35:45) It's bad, you'll probably get mad, best just to skip it if you're easily offended.

LISTENER MAIL

(1:40:15)

We read and react to some of the worst fanboy encounters from the listeners, and share a few more anecdotes of our own.

We'll talk to you again on July 20!

I should have probably looked that up. I even had a laptop sitting right in front of me and everything. I'm blaming the beer for now, and I'll correct myself on the next show.

Tamanon

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
Is there an indefensible? Those tend to be my favorite segment.

Nope, it was almost like a normal podcast. Rants at the front, games in the middle, emails at the back. No Se7en, no indefensible. Good discussion on crappy jobs, although I'm waiting for a fanboy to turn Doug's impassioned Dynasty Warriors argument on him with regards to certain jRPGs:p

i promise, indefensible and the se7en challenge will be back next episode!

my fanboy reaction to dynasty warriors games is a hypocrisy i refuse to acknowledge

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
Is there a way to grab an RSS for iTunes? Or is this up in iTunes already? I'd love for the ease of updating.

Tamanon

Banned
Alfarif said:
Is there a way to grab an RSS for iTunes? Or is this up in iTunes already? I'd love for the ease of updating.

It's in iTunes. In fact, it's usually up there before they even post the thread here. Just subscribe to the podcast and you're set.

yeah, Se7en Challenge and Indefensible will be back next episode, we just knew we were running waaaay long and decided during the break to skip them both this episode so that we could fit all the funny listener comments in

Kevtones

Perfect timing, I just finished Episode 12 and have one suggestion:

Disturbed-band-rp01.jpg

You should integrate nu-metal into indefensible.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Eel O'Brian said:
yeah, Se7en Challenge and Indefensible will be back next episode, we just knew we were running waaaay long and decided during the break to skip them both this episode so that we could fit all the funny listener comments in
I thought you could make it as long as you wanted.

I demand a Filibuster episode!

Segment One:

Regarding Michael Jackson, I think any artist whose album that will sell over 100 million worldwide will get a lot of praise. Some of the MJ fans are getting pretty delusional. I like his music but I think he was a weird guy who lacked common sense. Around him were various parasites who only enabled him. A lot of people did have shitty childhoods but I'd say MJ's adult life was pretty abnormal.

The crappiest job I worked was at a factory. Over 100 degree heat (outside) with several fans that were non-working. Water access was somewhat limited. We were paid $7.50/hr to work (this was 5 years ago) with bonus pay. If you worked your ass off, you could make $8.50/hr!!! As a result, a lot of us were flying around in ridiculous heat. At the end of the night, my shirt (sleveless T-Shirt) was completely soaked in sweat. I'd often have to stop by the nearest convenience store to pick up water or a Gatorade. I did this for the summer for three different summers.

I've worked my fair share of retail hell but the worst part about the job was mopping up people's shit. What was worse was that many a-perception was shattered. For example, I'd say 4 out of 5 bathroom calls were in the women's restroom. Damn near turned me gay. Also another downside was sorting fixtures in a hot back room, again in often 100 degree heat.

Segment Two

I like the DW games too. Got hooked on the 3rd one on Xbox and have been loving them ever since. It is also painfully obvious that reviewers barely play the game. I imagine the best they do is wander around a bit to get some various screen or video captures and then call it a day. This confuses me as well because the same people who trash DW are the same people that get excited over annual Metroidvania installments.

I also thought you guys were going to share my tales of trying to get people to buy a DC. Good stuff. I'm guessing fanboys lack personal hygiene because their extreme love of video games, anime, comics, etc. has probably affected them mentally to where they exist in a different reality other than society.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I Push Fat Kids said:
Perfect timing, I just finished Episode 12 and have one suggestion:

Disturbed-band-rp01.jpg

You should integrate nu-metal into indefensible.
If they put out more albums like Believe I wouldn't have to feel ashamed for ever liking them. Eventually all the nu-metal bands going to get so generic that they will all blend together and devolve back into primordial ooze.

I think I listened to this podcast once. It was the anime episode. You guys are huge Eiken fans, right?

I've never seen it.

Hito - I cut 40 minutes out of this one!

T Exp - Once in a while (when no one else was available and I couldn't weasel out of it) I would have to clean the restrooms in the restaurant, so I can completely relate to where you're coming from there.

when my wife worked at b&n, she'd frequently get calls to clean the women's restroom. for all the grief dudes get, they NEVER got the number of requests (if at all) to clean shit off the stall floor, walls, and even the ceiling that the women's restroom had. wtf, chicks!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Eel O'Brian said:
I've never seen it.

Hito - I cut 40 minutes out of this one!
Each of those 40 minutes was a life! ;)

The Experiment said:
I've worked my fair share of retail hell but the worst part about the job was mopping up people's shit. What was worse was that many a-perception was shattered. For example, I'd say 4 out of 5 bathroom calls were in the women's restroom. Damn near turned me gay. Also another downside was sorting fixtures in a hot back room, again in often 100 degree heat
Definitely. Pretty much anyone who has ever had to clean restrooms can attest to women being the filthier sex in that environment.

Limedust

I had two pretty awful jobs when I was 16.

Hardee's: Yep. People wipe their asses on the bathroom stall walls. And we didn't have any rule saying that men weren't allowed to clean the women's restroom, so some of us lucky peons got to clean them both. I quit and moved on to...

Temp job moving x-rays: The whole job took two or three months, and consisted of going through every single x-ray in the physician's office stacks, tossing the old ones in a recycle barrel, and moving certain others to an off-site storage house. I would get out of school, finish homework, drive to the office, and work past 9pm every week night... looking at fucking x-ray dates.

----------

All the way through DW5: Empires, I also owned every single Dynasty Warriors disc they printed. Somehow the DW series and Diablo 2 make button mashing and mouse clicking entertaining. Pure and simple fun. Probably why I also like old-school shooters.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Drinky Crow said:
when my wife worked at b&n, she'd frequently get calls to clean the women's restroom. for all the grief dudes get, they NEVER got the number of requests (if at all) to clean shit off the stall floor, walls, and even the ceiling that the women's restroom had. wtf, chicks!
???

On the ceiling???

Fun episode guys.

I honestly was expecting Drinky's comments on BlazBlue's character designs to be a bit more scathing what with all the effete lads and loli-bait.

Overall fun game despite ASW atrocious fukkin' characters.

Looking forward to Borecast Budget episode. :D

Additionally Kevin you nailed Kristen Bell.

I always thought she had a crazy off center eye or something; but no - you got it with the lifeless doll eyes comment. Now I can't get it out of my head.

Still buying Veronica Mars Season 2 on sale at Best Buy for $18.99 though. :p

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Anyone have issues listening to the MP3 in the direct link? for some reason my system plays it, shows that its processing sound but I don't hear anything. I'll try on iTunes.

*iTunes worked for me

The Take Out Bandit said:
Fun episode guys.

I honestly was expecting Drinky's comments on BlazBlue's character designs to be a bit more scathing what with all the effete lads and loli-bait.

Overall fun game despite ASW atrocious fukkin' characters.

Looking forward to Borecast Budget episode. :D

i think guilty gear has kinda numbed me, to be honest. the only one i really don't like is noel, since she's creepy moe bait. carl's just wacky, rachel is fully-clothed and has an awesome cat umbrella, and god help ANYONE that gets an erection from taokaka. litchi looks like she was designed to sell resin figurines, plus i can't play her without some scathing remark from my wife. jin is probably the hottest chick <3

my first job was administering a small network of solaris machines. Does that count? Back in those days NFS implementations were tantamount to torture. :lol

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
You can actually hear Eel o's voice slowing down in the later half :lol <3

And "I don't want these memories" :lol :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom