• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE-What we know, crumbs and morsels on id's hybrid racer/shooter(56k is RAGIN)

1qiuma.png

Grainy, strangely filtered video is up at the Teaser Site. Enter "general cross" at the prompt to view it.
RAGE is the next game from id Software, and their first major new IP since 1996. It is an open world first person shooter with racing and driving elements taking place in a post apocalyptic setting 80 years after a giant meteor crashed into the planet killed most of the population. You play as a character who was part of Project Eden, a program that buried pods known as “arks” holding a small group of people in cryosleep. These people would, upon emergence, help rebuild society. When an earth quake causes your ark to malfunction, releasing you too early, you find yourself in a world filled with mutants and disease.

In typical fashion you play a character who is both nameless and silent.

RAGE has no set release date.
Other details from the latest Game Informer
-Open World FPS using Id's new Tech 5 engine.

-Takes place 80 years after a devastating asteroid collides with earth and kills most of civilization.
-The player controls a character that was part of Project Eden, a program that buried hundreds of pods or "arks" containing 12 people in cryosleep that would aid in rebuilding society once they emerge from cryosleep. The players ark opens sooner than it was supposed to due to an earthquake.
-The asteroid caused mutations to some people so there will be mutants and stuff.
-You get a vehicle that you get to keep throughout the whole game (it appears that way anyways), that you can upgrade and personalize. "Unlike in other games where vehicles are disposable, in Rage, we want your vehicle to be an extension of you first-person avatar".
-The hero will be a nameless silent protagonist.
-There appears to be quest like structure to the game, you get quests from people and complete them.
-No good/evil mechanic in the game.
-You can build stuff like weapons and sentry bots with an engineering mechanic, or you can purchase them.
-Regeneration health system so no med packs.
-There are races that you can compete in to get certificates used to purchase exclusive upgrades and parts. There will also be race leaderboards. You can do vehicle combat during the races as well and get bonuses for destroying opponents.
-There will be the ability to play stealthy if that's what you prefer over guns blazing. The article describes a mission that involves guiding a remote control car with a bomb on it to infiltrate an enemy hideout.
-There is a show called Mutant Bash TV that you can participate in, it's like a battle arena that is televised.
Images
Ultra High Res Images
http://ve3d.ign.com/images/fullsize/34453/PC/Rage/Screenshots/First-Shots
http://ve3d.ign.com/images/fullsize/34452/PC/Rage/Screenshots/First-Shots
Direct Feed Images
2i1zi8j.jpg
2gvsnf9.jpg

290vc41.jpg
2yo5mzb.jpg

w8m97t.jpg
14bthg8.jpg

2en2rfp.jpg
n6x4xc.jpg

1zvdh5f.jpg
ji2y5g.jpg

2w7hirq.jpg
214ca4j.jpg

2vwb69j.jpg
33thw2f.jpg

volerl.jpg
6scgw6.jpg

Off Screen pictures
28tw8jm.jpg

2cqgsxf.jpg
xlgw9u.jpg

68wlet.jpg
ay0xmd.jpg

9tmtjc.jpg
1zezjwi.jpg

Technology
RAGE is the first game to use the new id Tech 5 engine. In addition to very high quality lighting and high geometry counts, the engine is using a new “Mega Texture” technique across all surfaces which allows for nearly unlimited texture detail and variety. The largest limiting factor is the storage on the disk. For example, the face of the old main in the above shots is 2kx2k resolution, which is several times larger than the textures that other games use. Each of the two large “wasteland” areas of the game use a 128kx128k texture over the entire surface. Doing things in this way allows for every pixel of a texture to be completely unique. Because such a large canvas is very time consuming to paint, the tools (which ship with the game) allow the artist to modify textures very quickly.
Carmack explains tech5 pt.1
Pt.2
Pt.3
RAGE will run at 60 frames per second on 360 and PS3. Your PC will probably handle it just fine.
For more about mega texturing and id Tech 5 see the following videos.
Videos
Tech 5 Walkthrough(HD)
Tech 5 Walkthrough (not hd, but longer)
Quakecon 2007 Cam footage
Quakecon 2008 trailer HD
Quakecon 2008 trailer SD

Important upcoming dates

August 13-16th – Quakecon 2009. RAGE’s real emergence, supposedly.

I am SO fucking hyped for this game. Also IDs last "Bethesda free" project. I hope it's going to be a huge success, loving art style, tech and ideas so far.

rnwd

Banned
Cautiously optimistic. I went into Doom 3 very overhyped and got burned. This sounds like it could be a great title, if they deliver properly on those very nice-sounding bullet points.

Cday

Banned
The head gear is....unique. Id Tech 5 puts a new spin on brown and grey as it doesn't have that unreal engine look, I like it.

No, it has teh grafixx.

But seriously, the development is taking way too long. The tech will be groundbreaking though. No way that Crytek can top this with CE3.

newsguy said:
Let's cherish it while we can people. Here is a Bethesda mockup for Rage 2
:lol

It sounds like id is going to remain relatively independent, which is a good thing. The only thing I really worry about is whether or not they'll still be open sourcing their engines. I would expect that they would, as Carmack is a very large proponent of that, but the engines will belong to Zenimax now, and they may have other ideas.

-Rogue5-

They should have called it the "depth of field" engine... Looking at the rage footage/screens I can't help but think this generation was all about motion blur and flares, nextgen will be all about depth of field and even better camera motion. One things for sure, I feel bad for 3Dfx; first the dreamcast debacle and now this (t-buffer was too far ahead of its time).

As far as open source releases, we're currently waiting on the Doom3 engine (tech 4?), which is going to be a long time in coming given there are still games actively developed with it.

But in principle, I'm with you. It is cool that they've done it in the past.

Grayman

-Rogue5- said:
They should have called it the "depth of field" engine... Looking at the rage footage/screens I can't help but think this generation was all about motion blur and flares, nextgen will be all about depth of field and even better camera motion. One things for sure, I feel bad for 3Dfx; first the dreamcast debacle and now this (t-buffer was too far ahead of its time).
heh t buffer was what 7 or 8 years ahead of it's time?

It is sad but I am already excited for id tech 6, it is going to attempt to do the megatexture equivalent of geometry.

Natakuu

Banned
I'm cautiously optimistic about this, but after their last few releases being lackluster I'll keep my hopes in check.

saw all the screenies...looks very impressive...in terms of open world games it is probably tops after crysis... There are number of upcoming console games that are definitely on a similar level, its probably my most wanted fps along with crysis 2

Natakuu said:
I'm cautiously optimistic about this, but after their last few releases being lackluster I'll keep my hopes in check.

Last few releases? I gotta ask, what are you referring to? The last game they made was Doom 3. Quake 3 Arena before that.

Grayman

WHOAguitarninja said:
Last few releases? I gotta ask, what are you referring to? The last game they made was Doom 3. Quake 3 Arena before that.
It reminds me of when haters said dre fell off...

Sciz

Both BlizzCon and QuakeCon should be exciting this year. Can't wait for a big news blowout. I'm curious to see how id's design principles extend into a larger setting.

burgerdog said:
I can't wait to play this game. It better not end up dropping in Q4 2010!
Last quakecon they said "we don't want to be talking about RAGE 2 quakecons from now". That seems to imply they're hoping it will be out before Quakecon 2010, which should be in the august/september time frame.

SniperWolf said:

They've said it since the beggining that Rage will run at 60hz on all platforms, and Doom 4 will run at 30hz on consoles and boast higher fidelity graphics. They also showed it running at 60hz on every system all the way back at Quakecon 2007.

KareBear

Theres not much buzz or discussion about Rage on the net yet,but theres interesting information about Rage in this thread.

JMC

Banned
Cow Mengde said:
I'm skeptical on both of those statements.

It should come to no surprise if id has decided on 30fps to keep as much visual parity with the PC version as possible.

Edit: Oh, yeah. Looking forward to seeing more of Rage. Long-time fan of id's stuff.

KareBear said:
Theres not much buzz or discussion about Rage on the net yet,but theres interesting information about Rage in this thread ;)

You can't do that, just so you know. You should delete the link. There is a reason that isn't linked in this thread.

KareBear

WHOAguitarninja said:
You can't do that, just so you know. You should delete the link. There is a reason that isn't linked in this thread.

I Know but i could not resist.At least i did not link directly to them.

nelsonroyale said:
There are number of upcoming console games that are definitely on a similar level, its probably my most wanted fps along with crysis 2

Hm?

Also please stop doubting 60 fps. It already ran on both consoles at that framerate at last quakecon. And this is carmack we are talking about. Q4 will be 30 though.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I can't wait. I think the game looks absolutely fantastic. I love post-apocalyptic wasteland environments.

I just wish we had more information about the game. Then again, sometimes it is better to go into a game with little advanced knowledge and just be blown away (assuming it is good).

M3d10n

I can't fathom something with such graphics running at 60fps in a 360 or PS3. I even have a hard time thinking it getting such framerate on my HD 4850.

...I am waiting anxiously to be proved wrong.

Get back to me when the fantastic texture tech isn't completely neutered by the shitty geometry (Tech6) till then it doesn't impress me.

Top Bottom