• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE-What we know, crumbs and morsels on id's hybrid racer/shooter(56k is RAGIN)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
thejared said:
yeah, it aint coming out this generation. game is two years off at best. by that time youll be hearing talk of the next gen to which they will then decide to wait.

Killzone 2 & 3, Uncharted 2, God of War 3, MLB 09 and Gran Turismo 5 is just about all this gen is capable of. If Sony's house's can't reach RAGE level then Bethesda sure as hell can't.

disclaimer: PC excluded of course.

Don't forget Little Big Planet, inFamous and Ratchet and Clank dude!! Man Sony is so fucking cool.

Seriously what is with all these Sony troll juniors recently?

TheHeretic said:
ID has a history of blowing away the competition graphically, this game seems to be no exception. The same thing happened with Doom 3, many doubters that the game would turn out looking as the screenshots appeared, and it did.

Don't agree...they haven't blown away the opposition since Quake 3 in my opinion...Doom 3 was nice looking, but perhaps because of its focus on very tight linear corridors, disappointing in many ways... Apart from that game, most other games using the engine didnt look that impressive to me... I have played pretty much every ID game, and none of there games at the time of release had quite the same effect that Crysis had on me when I first played that (although I didn't play farcry, so that may have been an issue)...I like the aesthetic of RAGE more than any previous ID game though... I suppose every company has there fanboy orgasms which blow even the top tier out of proportions...

I'll stop with the comparisons though...its obvious this game doesnt really need anyway, it looks great period

With the recession and all..this gen as at least 4 more years, I dont see why it would not be released.

Anyway it looks bloody great. For the first time since doom i think i like the artstyle. But then again I love anything that revolves around post apocalyptic anarchy. The road warrior is still one of the best movies ever.

The graphics are absolutely top notch. Way beyond anything with ue3. It really has that cgi look nailed down.

I dont know about the game play though, doom3 was shit and i really hate the quest set up. I like more focused games.

Zaptruder

Banned
It's a pretty damn impressive looking game. Not the best looking... but at the same time, considering its open world nature, it's the best looking game of its category, including GTA4 and ilk.

But really, Bethesda have the best 'open world' games in the genre... and though I think it's unlikely to see it happening with this game, I hope the two partners work together to produce world detail of Bethesda's calibre with graphical detail of Id's calibre.

I just wonder if the animation system that Id uses is better than Natural Motions... and if not, they should use it! Completely procedurally generated animations derived from genetic algorithms combined with this level of details would be utterly, utterly stunning.

... speaking of which, if I was Zenimax, I'd buy up Natural Motion as well.

JimiNutz

Banned
Looking forward to hearing and seeing more of this in August :D

On a slightly related note, does anybody know if/when Quake Arena Arcade is coming to XBLA?
I haven't heard anything about it for ages and worry that it probably isn't even coming at all :(

CiSTM

Banned
Speedymanic said:
HQ GI scans are up (*cough* 3drealms.com *cough*) and they look bloody amazing.

Thnx for the info. Looks really great !

These guys have been through face lift according to new scans and I really dig their new look.
2vwb69j.jpg

This game reminds me a lot of Mad Max 3... And lol @ Mutant Bash tv station.

edit: and it's still coming for MACs too :)

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
darkwings said:
Just like Doom3 am I right?

id is not what they used to be anymore.

I liked Doom III, not the DOOM I wanted, but a good game with also kick-ass graphics and mind you... I played the Xbox 1 version ;).

DOOM IV should be a nice return to form... double the resources (60 fps --> 30 fps) and an engine that can sustain a good number of enemies on screen, very huge landscapes and open areas (huge draw distance), and tons of effects... at 60 fps. So imagine at 30 fps what id Tech 5 can do (and quite a bit more months of engine and tools polish too :)).

Timber

the problem with Doom 3 was that it fruitlessly tried to mimic System Shock 2 and Half-Life and hardly presented anything interesting on its own. I don't think that'll be the case with Rage

PSGames

Wow this game looks absolutely fantastic. Some of those screens I'm surprised are realtime. Is this engine still 60fps??

pringles

For some reason the graphics don't impress me all that much. Some of it looks unbelievable (that guy with the crazy hat for example), while other things look very good but not significantly better than some games that are already out or on their way out. I'm personally more impressed by physics, animations etc. than high-res textures, and I haven't seen anything overly special in those departments in Rage.

The game itself sounds like it could be amazing though. I'm always down for Mad Max-esque games. Fallout 3, Borderlands and now this makes me a happy gamer.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I read a colleagues copy yesterday. Consider me on board and really impressed with their plans for this game.

Barrett2

While im' also not a big fan of the art style based on these pics, thats something I can easily get over if the world is immersive and the action is good; which, im' guessing it will be.

Gattsu25

Banned
pringles said:
For some reason the graphics don't impress me all that much. Some of it looks unbelievable (that guy with the crazy hat for example), while other things look very good but not significantly better than some games that are already out or on their way out. I'm personally more impressed by physics, animations etc. than high-res textures, and I haven't seen anything overly special in those departments in Rage.

The game itself sounds like it could be amazing though. I'm always down for Mad Max-esque games. Fallout 3, Borderlands and now this makes me a happy gamer.
Really? I find what I've seen of Rage's animation to be top-tier compared to other FPS games. The true test is going to be how much variance there is.

aeolist

Banned
nelsonroyale said:
Don't agree...they haven't blown away the opposition since Quake 3 in my opinion...Doom 3 was nice looking, but perhaps because of its focus on very tight linear corridors, disappointing in many ways... Apart from that game, most other games using the engine didnt look that impressive to me... I have played pretty much every ID game, and none of there games at the time of release had quite the same effect that Crysis had on me when I first played that (although I didn't play farcry, so that may have been an issue)...I like the aesthetic of RAGE more than any previous ID game though... I suppose every company has there fanboy orgasms which blow even the top tier out of proportions...

I'll stop with the comparisons though...its obvious this game doesnt really need anyway, it looks great period
The dynamic lighting in Doom 3 definitely blew me away when I first played it. The delays it had meant other games with comparable graphics were releasing around the same time but it still looked amazing for the time.

aeolist said:
The dynamic lighting in Doom 3 definitely blew me away when I first played it. The delays it had meant other games with comparable graphics were releasing around the same time but it still looked amazing for the time.

Doom 3 hit a lot of snags that had it coming out significantly later than it should have. When the very early pre alpha leaked though there was absolutely nothing out there that was even close. Carmack later lamented how open he was about the technology he used and the way he was doing things, as there were other companies using similar technologies when Doom 3 finally launched. I suspect that is the main reason his .plan file stopped being updated.

noah111

Still Alive
Skimmed through the GI issue (scans are out as well iirc), and in terms of visual design it looks like a cross between Fallout 3, Borderlands, Half Life 2, & Killzone 2. Will try and read the story later but it's a pretty long piece. Have they shown this running on PS3/360 in real time by the way?

WHOAguitarninja said:
It was shown back at Quakecon 2007 running on every platform.
Anything more recent though?

Sentry said:
Skimmed through the GI issue (scans are out as well iirc), and in terms of visual design it looks like a cross between Fallout 3, Borderlands, Half Life 2, & Killzone 2. Will try and read the story later but it's a pretty long piece. Have they shown this running on PS3/360 in real time by the way?

It was shown back at Quakecon 2007 running on every platform.

Metal Gear?! said:
The geometry actually isn't all that impressive - it's using specular and parallax mapping to great effect.

I think given the quality of lighting, texture, and the fact that it's 60fps I think the geometry count is pretty impressive. There are some pretty remarkable draw distances in the new GI scans, as well.

JB1981

Sentry said:

Anything more recent though?

The outdoor environments look great. It's not as "brown" as everyone is claiming. Nice and sunny lol

Zeliard

darkwings said:
Just like Doom3 am I right?

id is not what they used to be anymore.

Imagine how great a company has to be for one good-but-not-great game to suddenly turn them into average developers.

Chiggs

Draft said:
Original art style appears to remain in tact.

Yep, it really does. And the visuals look even better. This game's stock has jumped considerably.

It's also nice to know that the game was being demo'd on a pc via the 360 controller...exactly how I'll be playing it.

WHOAguitarninja said:
I think given the quality of lighting, texture, and the fact that it's 60fps I think the geometry count is pretty impressive. There are some pretty remarkable draw distances in the new GI scans, as well.
The overall graphical quality is very impressive, there's no doubt about that.

However there's no "given" here, we were talking specifically about geometry alone...

look at those rocks just look at em

...and on that note the game gets away with surprisingly little. Of course this is the case with all modern games but RAGE seems to do it better/take it farther than most.

I can not imagine how bad it would be to drive a vehicle with a keyboard (oh wait, I can just play Crysis) or forced to play an FPS with dual analog. It's like they tried to come up with something that'll never work very well on either platform.

decon said:
Will see this on 360/PS3 before I believe. Seems waaay above anything else on consoles.

They said it pretty much looks the same...I see nothing unachievable in any of the GI scans. However, the original trailer was much more impressive than the scans seem to indicate ie it looks much better in motion. Look forward to see its reveal soon

decon said:
Will see this on 360/PS3 before I believe. Seems waaay above anything else on consoles.

It Tech 5 is supposed to be some kind of performance god. The main problem isn't getting it to run, its finding space for all those giant-ass textures. Rage might come on 3 DVDs.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
I like what I'm seeing, but honestly I'm much more interested in what they've got planned for Doom IV. The GI article for Rage mentions it being in development several times, but of course they don't really tell you shit about it.

God's Beard said:
It Tech 5 is supposed to be some kind of performance god. The main problem isn't getting it to run, its finding space for all those giant-ass textures. Rage might come on 3 DVDs.

Sounds like they are aiming for 2 DVDs, one for each wasteland. (hopefully they'll take advantage of the install feature and allow people to install the first disc once you unlock the second wasteland)

And the scans all but confirm that Doom 4 will come on 3 DVDs.

really looking forward to this.

Damn I hope the PS3/360 versions turns out half-way decent. :\ In the GI story they seemed pretty optimistic having been working with the console hardware for a while now.

JMC

Banned
Chiggs said:
I still hope they release a Rage Blu-ray edition for the PC.

I believe they said it was being considered when the game was unveiled. Is BD drive uptake on the PC at the point where developers should consider using the medium? I wouldn't think so.

Pctx

Banned
Chiggs said:
I still hope they release a Rage Blu-ray edition for the PC.
All comes down to cost.

BR drives (readers not burners) are what... $50-100 bucks now? If this is slated for 2010, then they'll be as cheap as DVD burners and should be a main staple for us PC gamers.

Rur0ni

Pctx said:
All comes down to cost.

BR drives (readers not burners) are what... $50-100 bucks now? If this is slated for 2010, then they'll be as cheap as DVD burners and should be a main staple for us PC gamers.
I remember waiting for DVDs to become standard. Still a while to go for Blu.

Game looks very, very nice and the fact that it's running at 60 frames at consoles is something that I'm very pleased with.

I have only one question. Do we know how much AA are the console version going to use and is there any info on texture filtering? I'm hopping for at least 2xAA/Quincux and 8xAF, but since it is running at 60 frames after all, I'll take whatever they think is the best balance between IQ and smooth framerate.

The idea of ID making a open world game is what make this so exciting to me. Fallout 3, and Oblivion could never hold my attention and a big part of that was the tech. If anyone can make the open world game I have been holding out for its ID. Also new scans look amazing.

Rur0ni said:
I remember waiting for DVDs to become standard. Still a while to go for Blu.
Unless it's the format for a special limited edition version (like a special pack-in with your Blu-ray PC drive), I don't expect Blu-ray to ever become anything close to a standard on PCs. Digital distro has become a huge and growing medium on PCs and consoles, especially since it represents more than just an escape from paying medium-related license fees and production costs (in exchange for less costly electronic storefront ones), but also because it's growing faster in acceptance and actual regular use among even the 'casual' set faster than any new media hardware is selling. Blu-ray has, IMO, no chance at becoming standard on anything that doesn't force it from the very beginning. Hell, there are still a lot of PC titles that ship on CD, so that format hasn't even been fully supplanted by DVD in the market. But the biggest obstacle for a new optical format is that the fastest growing hardware segment in the PC market is Netbooks...cheap mini-laptops that often, for their sub $300-$100 prices at retail, lack even a DVD drive built-in. Not that a Netbook could hope to run Rage or anything like it... But it is an important consideration when it comes to the idea of Blu-ray or any new physical media being considered for any PC game release.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The description of the game sounds a lot like Fallout: you and others survived an asteroid hit on Earth by staying away in "Arks" built to survive the cataclysm, and then emerge from your "ark" after an earthquake breaks your ark open and all your fellows in the ark are dead, and you first start the game wearing an "ark suit".

Top Bottom