• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time preview and screens

As I'm sure you know, A Crack in Time opens with Clank still robot-napped by the Zoni, the blue-eyed race that stole the sidekick away in Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction. Now, the ghostly robots are keeping Clank in the Great Clock, a device out in space that has a say in the universe's internal clock. Stranded here, Clank has befriended a robot named Sigmund and is learning the ways of the Chronoscepter. This silver scepter with a crazy top gives Clank the ability to hurl bubbles that slow down time for everything inside the now present sphere. Want to bring a group of enemies to a crawl or slowdown a deathtrap? Then, you're going to make fast friends with the Chronoscepter.

This new device was key to solving the puzzles Sony dropped in my lap this evening. See, whereas the Ratchet stuff is your typical blasting and platforming, Clank's missions are going to challenge you to solve more and more complex, time-based riddles. For this demo, Sigmund introduced Clank and I to Time Pads. A blue pad and a green pad, these devices record your movements for about a minute or until you tell them to stop and then replay the recordings so that a Clank ghost runs out and does whatever you just did.

Confused?

The first example was simple enough. I had the time pads at my feet, a red button in the center of the room, and a closed door at the other end. When Clank stepped on the red button, the door would open, but it would slam shut as soon as he stepped off of it. So, I stepped onto the blue pad, began recording -- which tossed the red dot and "REC" on the screen that you'd expect to find on your camcorder -- and ran to the red button. I stopped the recording, walked to the green pad, and began recording again. The blue ghost took off to the red button, I ran to the door, the ghost hit the red button, and I walked through the now open door to the other side.

Sounds easy, right? Well, the first couple of times were, but then the game started tossing in spinning, electrified deathtraps where Clank had to run out and hurl a ball of Chronoscepter stopping power. The ghost does the exact same thing so that the second Clank could run out, stand on the no-longer-electrified platform, and deactivate the next one. Somewhere in there was a red button to activate, but the final puzzle broke my head and I can't seem to recall where the red button in this puzzle was.

See, the last puzzle was a noodle-scratcher. I'm sure some kids are wired for this stuff, but it took PlayStation Blog guru Jeff Rubenstein and I a few cracks to figure out what we had to have shiny Clank do. We had to get a ghost up a moving platform and over to a button while we stood on a button and then toss a time ball on some spinning stuff but make sure we were standing on the button so the ghost got up there without falling but still move forward -- BRAIN ANEURYSM.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/100/1006550p1.html

Sentry said:
Here are ALL the shots, no watermarks, unedited, straight from Sony;

3748234965_9e1b95f0b2_o.jpg

3749022914_66095df88b_o.jpg

3748234891_1890ab4971_o.jpg

3748234921_c4bd73de93_o.jpg

3748234637_f6f8b6c191_o.jpg

3749022640_406cdefdb4_o.jpg

3748234759_ef181be5fc_o.jpg

3749022756_fa6c71fe9d_o.jpg

3748234849_506d9e7c01_o.jpg

3749022954_87d8e79f49_o.jpg

Absofuckinglutely amazing, if those shots are really in-game, as in gameplay and not in-engine, then WOW. If not, WOW.

PS. I'm also upload some brand new videos of R&C, 720p footage of some awesome unedited clank gameplay, and in the other Bian is showing off the weapon from the contest and it looks pretty good. Will post when uploaded!

[EDIT] The vids were posted while I was posting this :lol Will still post for 720p goodness. :D

deepbrown said:

Sentry said:
For all those judging the graphics, just watch the new Clank gameplay in HD, and then judge.

Obviously those screens are not gameplay, but are in-engine cutscene type of shots (most of them anyway)..

Tailzo

The first Ratchet for ps3 is still very pretty, but I can't help to be impressed by those shoots :) Did anyone mention multiplayer? I haven't really read anything about this game...

About gameplay from wikipedia:
A Crack in Time will feature new gameplay mechanics, such as time travel and time manipulation. One such mechanic involves a staff that Clank will carry that activates time pods; once activated, these will record a minute of actions, and then will be replayed, allowing a recorded version of Clank to step on a switch to activate a door for the real version. Up to four copies of Clank can be made in this manner to solve puzzles. There will also be a much larger emphasis on space combat and exploration than the previous titles in the series. Among various new gadgets available in this game are the hoverboots.

carlosp

Banned
wow check the graphic quality. We are all already over Toy Story 2 prerendered movie quality graphics. It is really unbelievable.

ts2vscit.jpg

Speevy

Banned
deepbrown said:
The first Ratchet wasn't a PS3 game...

It may as well be. It starts a new story, streamlines your gameplay systems, and of course it's gorgeous.

Besides, the first Ratchet isn't exactly essential gaming compared to part 2 and 3, which were fantastic.

deepbrown

Speevy said:
It may as well be. It starts a new story, streamlines your gameplay systems, and of course it's gorgeous.

Besides, the first Ratchet isn't exactly essential gaming compared to part 2 and 3, which were fantastic.
The first PS2 ratchet might as well be a PS3 game? I'm confuzzled.

noah111

Still Alive
Sounds good, I wish the graphics durring gameplay looked as good as it does in those screens, but either way im looking forward to it. :D

I wish it will look something like this one day;

e0ki6s.png

Love the cartoon/toy story CG look but back when I was playing Up Your Arsenal I always imagined the future R&Cs to take the realistic route like shown in that old GDC teaser trailer.

Still love it though :)

ratchet-and-clank-future-a-crack-in-time-20090722113256206.jpg

:lol

ZAnimus

The sound of those puzzles during Clank's sections really excites me. I just hope that Ratchet's sections also have the stronger platforming focus of Quest for Booty. And dear lord, those screenies are absolutely amazing!

yeah, I'm going to buy the most expensive collector's edition they'll offer. I still feel guilty for only renting the first one. It was a lot of fun (although a bit too easy).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I didn't know about the time puzzles until the comic-con previews for some reason, and that has me re-interested. I wanted something different about this R&C and that should do.

And it looks amazing of course.

Costanza said:
I think CIT looks AMAZING, but dude, there's waaaaaay more detail in that Toy Story shot. We're not there yet.

Agreed.

Can't believe you're actually a reasonable voice on GAF for a change :lol

The first ps3 ratchet was so lifeless compared to Ratchet 3. They need more characters, even if they are inconsequential to the story. And they need to bring back vehicles, those were fun.

Top Bottom