• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time preview and screens

noah111

Still Alive
Here are ALL the shots, no watermarks, unedited & straight from Sony;

3748234965_9e1b95f0b2_o.jpg

3749022914_66095df88b_o.jpg

3748234891_1890ab4971_o.jpg

3748234921_c4bd73de93_o.jpg

3748234637_f6f8b6c191_o.jpg

3749022640_406cdefdb4_o.jpg

3748234759_ef181be5fc_o.jpg

3749022756_fa6c71fe9d_o.jpg

3748234849_506d9e7c01_o.jpg

3749022954_87d8e79f49_o.jpg

Absofuckinglutely amazing, if those shots are really in-game, as in gameplay and not in-engine, then WOW. If not, WOW.

PS. I'm also upload two new videos of R&C, 720p footage of some awesome clank gameplay, and in the other is Brian showing off the weapon from the contest, it looks pretty sweet. Will post when uploaded!

[EDIT] The vids were posted while I was posting this :lol Will still post for 720p goodness. :D

Fox1304

This game will be a blast.
So cartoony, love the face on Ratchet in the ship with Quark.
And the mini-Quarks look awesome too.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
This looks insane. I love R&C, the story, humour, it's all amazing. I still can't believe Sony hasn't announced a movie adaptation of this 'ala PIXAR.

Hydrargyrus

F*cking awesome!!!

Like one has said previously, Pixar Quality!

The best off all is that Ratchet it's not only a Pixar-quality-game, it has an amazing gameplay and tons of fun.

For me it's an absolutely day one. Congrats again INSOMNIAC team, you have sold me every game you've made on PS3

I wish Sony would stop releasing supersampled bullshots of their first party games. The titles stand out right at the top of the console tree anyway, so be proud of how they really look, no need for this silly tranny surprise shit.

Zanmato

Banned
3748234921_c4bd73de93_o.jpg

Fuuuuuuuuuuu...uuu.u....*Ladies and gentlemen mister Conway Twitty. I see the sparkin little diamond on your hand. It's plan to see you already *Slap*uuuuk!!!!!!! :D

CiSTM

Banned
Ratchet and Clank: ToD is still one of the best looking games in this gen and Crack in Time looks ridiculously better... But if it's boring as ToD I'm probably going to pass.

... Captain Qwark needs his own game.

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
This game is looking great. It will be interesting to see how the time gimmick is handled in the game. Hopefully it doesn't get too tired.

Oliver.S

Pixar quality.. Its always the same..
First of all: I do not want to say, that Crack in Time will not look great. But these are clearly bullshots. Most of the screens are taken from the cutscenes (and if you played ToD, you know that every cutscence looks better than everything in the actual game) And the realtime pics: I seriously doubt, that the PS3 can output something like that with perfect AA with 60 frames per second. So, yeah.. Let me see real screens of the in-game sections. Then we can talk about the graphics.

carlosp

Banned
ok this is a "real" "inGame" screenshot of ToD. You can download the demo and see it your self. The game looked this good already.

ratchet-clank-future-tools-of-destruction-20070711052140350.jpg

Like i said before, the graphics look better but they looked incredible when ToD was released already.

deepbrown

brain_stew said:
He can "violate" me all he wants, doesn't stop these from being insanely supersampled bullshots that would likely run at less than a frame per second on real PS3 hardware.

My point is these games look great in their original form, so post the direct feed captures, there's nothing to be ashamed of.
The accepted standard on B3D is now to call Bullshots what they are = pre-rendered CGI shots. And shots like the above, super-sampled shots.

Throwing around the term bullshots only does damage and confuses matters.

AKS

BeeDog said:
Game will be hella fun, but "bullshoooooooots"! :p

You saw this type of comment a lot before the previous HD Ratchet games were released. They stopped after the games were released. History will repeat itself yet again with this game.

deepbrown

Oliver.S said:
Pixar quality.. Its always the same..
First of all: I do not want to say, that Crack in Time will not look great. But these are clearly bullshots. Most of the screens are taken from the cutscenes (and if you played ToD, you know that every cutscence looks better than everything in the actual game) And the realtime pics: I seriously doubt, that the PS3 can output something like that with perfect AA with 60 frames per second. So, yeah.. Let me see real screens of the in-game sections. Then we can talk about the graphics.
Aren't the cutscenes real-time?

And Uncharted 2 real-time still looks better...so...

BeeDog

carlosp said:
ok this is a "real" "inGame" screenshot of ToD. You can download the demo and see it your self. The game looked this good already.

*snip*

Like i said before, the graphics look better but they looked incredible when ToD was released already.

That's also a super-sampled screenshot (just for you deepbrown <3). ToD was 1280x714 or something similar, and it had nowhere near that image quality/AA.

carlosp said:

Um, you do realise you picked another super sampled "bullshot" shot, right?

Oliver.S

carlosp said:
No, this is not a "real" in-game screenshot of ToD. ToD has jaggies. Do you see jaggies here?

And Uncharted 2 real-time still looks better...so...
Even the almighty Uncharted 2 (best looking console game in the moment) doesn't look so clean and perfect. Its simply not possible.

Oliver.S

Blablurn said:
damn, i need to buy tools of destruction..
And Quest for Booty. The must fun I had with a Ratchet game since Ratchet 3.

brain_stew said:
The point is direct feed captures look great as it is, and can out compete other titles just fine, there's no need for Sony to resort to petty tactics like this.
Yes, thats my point. I'm not in doubt about the technical knowledge and ability of Insomniac.

AKS said:
You saw this type of comment a lot before the previous HD Ratchet games were released. They stopped after the games were released. History will repeat itself yet again with this game.

No they never, the game released with severely downgraded IQ. So, yeah, history will repeat itself and you'll be proven wrong when the game doesn't release with a 4x4 supersampled 16xaa/af, plus tweaked LOD, image.

The point is direct feed captures look great as it is, and can out compete other titles just fine, there's no need for Sony to resort to petty tactics like this. I doubt even my GTX 260 which is around 5-6x as capable as RSX could manage those shots with realtime framerates, so RSX sure as shit can't.

deepbrown

BeeDog said:
That's also a super-sampled screenshot (just for you deepbrown <3). ToD was 1280x714 or something similar, and it had nowhere near that image quality/AA.
Yes BeeDog...but that's fine isn't it? I think we can all look past that the shots are taken at a very high-resolution and then reduced in size to increase image quality and AA for print/online. It's the industry standard. Knowing that the very same image will be 720p and less AA in-game really doesn't bother me and it shouldnt bother you.

All screenshtos released by developers are released as super-sampled shots. WELCOME TO THE VIDEO GAMES INDUSTRY. What. is. the. point. in. talking. about. it. in. every. thread. when. new. screenshots. are. posted?

Oliver.S said:
No, this is not a "real" in-game screenshot of ToD. ToD has jaggies. Do you see jaggies here?

Even the almighty Uncharted 2 (best looking console game in the moment) doesn't look so clean and perfect. Its simply not possible.
Yes it isn't rendered at 3000by2000 with 16xAA - I GET THE POINT. The actual GRAPHICS are still impressive though. There's more to video game graphics than resolution and AA. JEEZ!

SolidSnakex said:
Well, this thread went to shit quick. :/

Yuh. Sigh.

McBradders said:
Cuz you're comparing, nay, stating that they're "Pixar" quality when they clearly aren't?
I didn't post the image. I just think it looks good. Meh...I have played ToD btw and watched TS. Does it really matter what I think anyway? Leaving this thread. BYE!

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
deepbrown said:
Yes BeeDog...but that's fine isn't it? I think we can all look past that the shots are taken at a very high-resolution and then reduced in size to increase image quality and AA for print/online. It's the industry standard. Knowing that the very same image will be 720p and less AA in-game really doesn't bother me and it shouldnt bother you.

All screenshtos released by developers are released as super-sampled shots. WELCOME TO THE VIDEO GAMES INDUSTRY. What. is. the. point. in. talking. about. it. in. every. thread. when. new. screenshots. are. posted?

Cuz you're comparing, nay, stating that they're "Pixar" quality when they clearly aren't?

deepbrown said:

We get plenty of direct feed captures, there wouldn't be a huge pixel counting thread at B3D otherwise.

Supersampling adds more than just standard high levels of msaa, these shots have huge amounts of af, improved LOD and the whole image is antialiased to huge degrees, not just the polygon edges. It takes an order of magnitude more computing power to create that level of graphics in real time, so no, they're not representative of the game on real PS3 hardware.

We can judge the assets, sure, but that's about it. Honestly, the thing that is bugging me the most is that we've got people in this thread claiming these are realtime shots ffs, clearly not everyone understands what these are, and thus need to be educated.

noah111

Still Alive

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
What a f-ing mess.

Supersampled screenshots are nothing new. Virtually all PR-released shots you see of games are shrunk from higher resolutions.

Stop bitching about it, ffs. It's not exactly the most persuasive retort to 'pixar quality!!11' claims either, you can point to more obvious differences before resolution if you really wanted to.

deepbrown

permutated said:
Finally.

Anyhow, the game looks fantastic, I hope they bring back more platform components.
What? I was helping the thread, not hindering it. Way to shoot the messenger. And BeeDog and me will just take it out in Fight Night :)

brain_stew said:
We get plenty of direct feed captures, there wouldn't be a huge pixel counting thread at B3D otherwise.

Supersampling adds more than just standard high levels of msaa, these shots have huge amounts of af, improved LOD and the whole image is antialiased to huge degrees, not just the polygon edges. It takes an order of magnitude more computing power to create that level of graphics in real time, so no, they're not representative of the game on real PS3 hardware.

We can judge the assets, sure, but that's about it. Honestly, the thing that is bugging me the most is that we've got people in this thread claiming these are realtime shots ffs, clearly not everyone understands what these are, and thus need to be educated.
Are the cutscenes in Tools real-time? If yes, then your point is nul and void. If no, then you have a point.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
It looks fucking amazing. I'm not talking about technical mumbo jumbo, the art, design, colorpalette, timepuzzles, that shit looks fucking amazing. Anyone who disagrees should get their eyes checked.

I hope we're this vocal in our complaints about standard industry practice in "other" first party threads.
edit:especially bullshots from developers that fuck with poly counts and shader ops.

Oliver.S

theignoramus said:
I hope we're this vocal in our complaints about standard industry practice in "other" first party threads.
Sure. I could have said the same thing in one of the Forza 3 topics. I hate how they only releasing pics from the photo mode. Sure, it is standard industry practice, like you said, but I don't like it.

Nachkebia said:
It is beyond me how AA and resolution is important for people, working professionally as a designer for more than 10 years, also bit of photography experience, I just don`t understand fascination behind AA and Resolution.......
Personally, its no big deal for me either.

Nachkebia

Banned
It is beyond me how AA and resolution is important for people, working professionally as a designer for more than 10 years, also bit of photography experience, I just don`t understand fascination behind AA and Resolution.......

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
neorej said:
It looks fucking amazing. I'm not talking about technical mumbo jumbo, the art, design, colorpalette, timepuzzles, that shit looks fucking amazing. Anyone who disagrees should get their eyes checked.

I don't think anyone is denying that. ToD was fucking awesome, this is day 1 for me.

It looks amazing, and sounds like a lot of fun. I don't care about the technical details of the images, the previous R&C already looked awesome. Can't wait to play this one.

Top Bottom