• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time preview and screens

klokdol

Banned
Amazing screenshots... I hope the gameplay is on par.

I liked Ratchet : TOD but I still think they need to surprise us.

I hope there will be 'too much variety', like this TOD reviewer said.

Xplay been showing off lots of footage lately here and there. The gameplay footage doesn't look like the pics but mainly because it's actual gameplay and not zoomed in story sequences. It does look very smooth though, obviously 60fps.

klokdol

Banned
Thanks battlemonkey, I'll go and look at that immediately.

Edit : Just watched the E3 gameplay video. It's true it's a bit less beautiful. Should still be fun, with the rocket boots it looks fast, a bit like 'Ratchet the Hedgehog'

Salaadin

Im really hoping we get the return of multiplayer in this one. Im surprised that they havent confirmed (or denied) it yet.

Lots of 60 fps console games look better than the majority of the best looking 30 fps games.
GT5p, Forza 3, Wipeout HD, Burnout Paradise, Call of Duty WaW, GoW3, MLB The Show 09, Rage, Quest 4 Booty, etc.

Looks amazing and makes me depressed at the same time because it makes me want to see more platofrmers on the PS3.

I would LOVE to see a cel shaded Sly or Goemon game of this quality. Can you imagine what a new Earthworm Jim game would look like?

Qwark kids! :lol

Holy crap this wait is unbearable

EDIT: I'm still skeptical about more Clank-less Ratchet gameplay though. You don't just take away long jump and get away with it.

Can not wait. The Wife loves this game more then I could have imagined. This and LBP have swayed her into playing video games. When this and Uncharted 2 come out, I'm going to be a happy happy gamer. :D

I don't know how Insomniac does it. They consistently make awesome games that are years ahead (imo) above some other games that take longer to make. They crank them out so fast it just astounds me.

Plus, these screens are probably cinematic scenes like others said but just watch the videos. They look the same. I'm sure some of you can tell a difference, but for me, once they hit that look, it doesn't get better.

Why doesn't Sony focus more on this franchise? It's one of the few properties they own that looks significantly different from xbox stuff and the graphics look phenomenal to boot.

BlueWord

H_Prestige said:
Why doesn't Sony focus more on this franchise? It's one of the few properties they own that looks significantly different from xbox stuff and the graphics look phenomenal to boot.

Well, I mean, we get a new R&C title almost annually. If that's not focusing on a franchise, I don't know what is.

I suppose they could do more with the marketing, but I'm pretty sure most of it's audience is tapped.

On that note, this game is near the top of my list this holiday season. Day one, definitely.

JMC

Banned
Even with the fact these are super-sampled shots, there's no denying it looks gorgeous and will look practically equally so in-game. It's not hard to tell that Ratchet & Clank is Insomniac's baby. :D

Edit: Forgot the important bit.

theignoramus said:
R2's problem wasnt muddy textures. Killzone 2 is chalk full of them and it still looked excellent because it had cohesive art direction.
COD4 PS3 had crap textures and it too looked quite good.
Crap textures are to be expected on a system with just over 200 megs of vram, R2's problem was its universally poor art direction.

Man your hyperbole is killing me.

Not really interested to be honest...I would like a new IP from Insomniac. I already bought the two Ratchet games on PS3 and while I love the humor and story, it got repetitive for me.

Getting closer and closer to Pixar quality here Insomniac ;).

Glad their bring back an established villian. The universe is full of characters, and its been a shame that every new Ratchet focused on a new set of characters each time instead of expanding on those that were introduced.

JMC said:
Even with the fact these are super-sampled shots, there's no denying it looks gorgeous and will look practically equally so in-game. It's not hard to tell that Ratchet & Clank is Insomniac's baby. :D

Edit: Forgot the important bit.

Yes, this is a much appreciated improvement from the disappointing E3 footage. Ratchet's gameplay also looks fun. I hope Insomniac will spend a little more time on Resistance 3 and shape up from the ambitious but rushed and ultimately disappointing R2.

Madman

I really like how the game looks. It looks very cohesive, if that makes sense. Graphics aside, the gameplay section they showed of Clank looks great. For those who haven't seen it: http://www.nextgn.com/2009/07/23/ratchet-and-clank-a-crack-in-time-comic-con-2009-videos-and-screenshot
BarrenMind said:
I'm still skeptical about more Clank-less Ratchet gameplay though. You don't just take away long jump and get away with it.
Isn't that the point of the new rocket boots or whatever they are?

theignoramus said:
R2's problem wasnt muddy textures. Killzone 2 is chalk full of them and it still looked excellent because it had cohesive art direction.
Crap textures are to be expected on a system with just over 200 megs of vram, R2's problem was its universally poor art direction.

That's a pretty ignorant statement when stuff like Uncharted exists.

I just saw that the weapon contest winner announcement video, and Im pretty disappointed by the final choice.

It makes me pretty bitter that they didnt pick the pixelator :/ 'dispite' having to do alot of animation for that one.

vazel

Banned
Holy shit some of those objects look like physical toys. I know it's not going to look as good in real time but I still can't wait to see it for myself.

Caio

Coming close to Pixar quality ! I'm speechless and owned. Looking godly insane, can't wait for this jewel ;)

Hi everybody, my first post here.

carlosp said:
ok this is a "real" "inGame" screenshot of ToD. You can download the demo and see it your self. The game looked this good already.

ratchet-clank-future-tools-of-destruction-20070711052140350.jpg

Like i said before, the graphics look better but they looked incredible when ToD was released already.

I hope this doesn't mean im crazy but I just played some R&C last week and that shot looks no different in resolution and fidelity compared to the actual game.

theignoramus said:
I was speaking in the context of first person shooters. But stay vigilant.

Now this might make me the ignoramus but why would there be a difference. If anything its seems by going 3rd person the engine has to render far more because of the viewing space.

It's all about the animation. I personally don't think the geometry is all that impressive, but the game looks phenomenal in motion, always has.

I'm so ready for trophies in a Ratchet game, too. I always beat them at least twice to get all of the weapons with the bolt multiplier. I'd still take a trophy patch for the first Ratchet!

-viper-

Banned
theignoramus said:
:lol

Because the 360 version had excellent textures, amirite?

And Killzone 2 is chalk full of crap textures?

killzone-project--ss-174.jpg

Oh please..

I do not think R2s visuals are anywhere near as bad as some say. Perhaps inconsistent (some spots looked very nice while others more bland) but overall the game gets way to much hate on the visuals. :/

Anyways this looks great, I need to get into the Ratchet series more. Looks like fun. :D

I already had high expectations for this visually and I'm still blown away.

Not only that, but the Clank segments finally look really engaging; both the puzzles and the combat looks to be taking a big step up.

I guess I was kinda hoping for a multiplayer mode since it's looking to be the last Ratchet game in a while (if not ever)...maybe it's just me but the online modes in Up Your Arsenal and Deadlocked were really enjoyable. Guess we would have heard something about a beta by now if it were happening?

Now this might make me the ignoramus but why would there be a difference. If anything its seems by going 3rd person the engine has to render far more because of the viewing space.

That is what an LoD system is for.
And in third person games, the player views the textures from a greater distance.
Load up Uncharted 1 and try to manipulate the camera so you get a closer (than intended) view of the textures.

oh please

:lol :lol :lol :lol
When trying to make a point about textures, post a fucking 720 pic, not some random, offscreen thumbnail. Also, a half dozen or so nice textures doesnt denigrate my statement. KZ2 IS full of low res textures. Trying to pretend otherwise is just fucking dishonest and ignorant.

Dante

theignoramus said:
And in third person games, the player views the textures from a greater distance.
Load up Uncharted 1 and try to manipulate the camera so you get a closer (than intended) view of the textures.

Uhh You can zoom right in on the textures in Uncharted, and they look pretty damn good.

Turbo

Neo Member
It's ok to discuss about textures in ratchet and clank and how it will look in it's sequel, but try to refrain from mentioning any other game especially other genres.

Either way, the game still looks to be as fun as a barrel of monkeys so take that however you would. The graphics are insane and as someone posted the motion of the characters will be as top notch (if not more so) as it's predecessor.

theignoramus said:

Whats a LoD system?

Dante said:
Uhh You can zoom right in on the textures in Uncharted, and they look pretty damn good.

Yeah in the OT for Uncharted there were pages of people just getting as close as they could to the stones, vines, water and such cause it just looked so fantastic even when viewed really close.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
looks like colors seems a bit more crisper from what I saw @ e3. niiiice!

I like, cannot wait. I love the ratchet series, ever since I played ToD I been stuck on it.

is there a release date on it yet?

Top Bottom