• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concept Artwork For "Epic Mickey"

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclem

Anticitizen One said:
In the narwhal pic with Spaceship Earth (Epcot Center ball) and the Disney MGM Studios water tower you can see the Hollywood Tower (Twilight Zone Tower of Terror) because that is actaully the twilight Zone ride would there be a copyright issue? If they got permission I wonder if they got permission to use Star Tours (Star Wars) and the Indy dark ride as well that would be sweet!

Oh and they gotta have Roger Rabbit somewhere in there! :D

I suspect that "The Hollywood Tower Hotel" counts as a Disney creation, even though it's the setting for a Twilight Zone-themed ride.

azentium said:
Pokemon

Would Yu-Gi-Oh or Digimon count?
I think Digimon started before Pokemon. As for Yugioh, it didn't start out as a card game based franchise and only morphed into one after kids wanted to see more of the card game (which was showcased in one chapter of the manga).

JustRadek

Neo Member
I recall Warren Spector mentioning (I think it was on GFW Radio) that Disney was giving him a great amount of freedom to use their IP's and take them in a somewhat different direction. All these concepts certainly seem to support that claim...

Christine

I'm not feeling it. The art's fine, but the concept just seems silly to me, rather than "epic", cool or interesting. Of course, I've never really cared for the Disney stable of characters outside of Uncle Scrooge and to a lesser extent, Donald. That said, I might end up really liking the game if/when it comes out, despite my expectations at this point.

[Nintex]

Wow, how did I miss this. Maybe it looks a bit on the 'scary' side, but to me it looks like a world fit for a huge adventure. I wonder when they'll reveal it, maybe at Nintendo's fall conference? They've announced third party games in the past like Monster Hunter 3.

karter

Neo Member
monkey79 said:
It looks like something really bad happened to Disney World. Nuclear bomb? Something escape from the haunted mansion? And the only thing left unchanged were the 1930's characters locked away in the vault.

Fallout: Operation Epcot

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
HK-47 said:
Der Fuehrer's Face is the best propaganda I've ever seen.
I always confuse Der Fuehrer's Face with Daffy - The Commando.

Well more accurately: When I was younger I thought Daffy - The Commando was Der Fuehrer's Face so now when people mention the Donald Duck cartoon I think of the Daffy Duck cartoon.

Long and pointless story short: The WWII propaganda cartoons were pretty damn cool.

Mashing

Jtwo said:
acmea.jpg

:lol :lol :lol

I used to have one of those too as a child. I carried that thing all over the house. I was like Linus with his blanket.

Odyssey

Banned
I kinda understand people's dislike that it'll be on the Wii due to it's hardware. But remember that if this project just started and we'll see the results in 2 1/2 to 3 years, I really doubt it'll be on this generation's Wii.

Shiggy

Odyssey said:
I kinda understand people's dislike that it'll be on the Wii due to it's hardware. But remember that if this project just started and we'll see the results in 2 1/2 to 3 years, I really doubt it'll be on this generation's Wii.

The project was started in 2007, if not earlier.

Althane

The most important question:

No matter what type of game it is...

Will
It
Have
RPG
elements?

('cuz that's a lot of what made Deus Ex awesome...)

(and now I'm gonna go reinstall that...)

farnham

Banned
Anticitizen One said:
for the pussies in here whinning that its "too dark for Disney" I advise you to look up the following (All from Disney):

-Disney's World War 2 propoganda cartoons
-The Watcher in The Woods
-Return to Oz
-Fantasia
-Pinnochio
-Silly Symphonies
-The Great Brain Robery (mickey short from the 90s)
-The Nightmare before Christmas
-Walt Disney & Salvador Dali's Destino
-Snow White & The Seven Dwarfs

Man can you imagine if the internet was around in the 80s. HURRR Disney can't allow Nightmare before christmas to come out its tooooo dark and scary! ("and what did Santa bring you honey? *kid holds up severed head*)
Hunchback of Notre Damme

The concept art looks very eerily creepy, but instantly recognizable. I could just see it now, though, all the parents buying it for their kids because they see Mickey Mouse on the cover, then realizing what it is.

bengraven

cuyahoga said:
Also, I hope the title is Steampunk Willie.

I would buy this the first day it came out if so.

I remember when Steamboat Willie came out so many decades ago and in my middle age I've really started to enjoy steampunk

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
twenty-four hours later, and this still looks awesome to me. it's the first thing in quite some time to seem really new and interesting to me, whether you're looking at that from the perspective of video games, or disney licenses. KINGDOM HEARTS was a fun little mash-up, but the opportunity to actually take an adult perspective not only on how characters like mickey mouse and goofy have developed over time but also how we perceive them, and how we perceive the lost relics of disney's archives, is really and truly an awesome concept to me.

Shiggy

We've since been told that it's a Wii-exclusive where you paint your way through levels using the Wii Remote. This 'painting your way' involves you drawing, etching and erasing whole or parts of levels as you go. Capcom's Okami immediately springs to mind but we've not got enough info to go on to make any kind of informed judgement.

As for the story, we've also been told that it'll be based around very old and/or forgotten Disney characters who are out to get their revenge on Mickey, presumably because they're jealous of all his fame and fortune. We Googled 'early Disney characters' and found that Oswald the Lucky Rabbit returned a lot of hits. A bit before even CVG's time all that though.

http://computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=220427

JDSN

Banned
Its gonna be so awesome if the mastermind behind the revenge is Steamboat Willy's Mickey....and Walton Simons.

Oh man, the basic premise of the story got me all giddy. I'll reserve my judgement on the alleged gameplay until I see some footage, since I never played Okami and have no idea of how a game like that would play. I would have thought it was meant to be a platformer, though. Perhaps with puzzle elements.

From yo fav nintendo blog . . .

- use the Wiimote to paint your way through the landscape
- draw/etch/erase levels as you progress through them
- story based on old and forgotten Disney characters that are out for revenge against Mickey
their cite's . . . cite http://computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=220427

We've since been told that it's a Wii-exclusive where you paint your way through levels using the Wii Remote. This 'painting your way' involves you drawing, etching and erasing whole or parts of levels as you go. Capcom's Okami immediately springs to mind but we've not got enough info to go on to make any kind of informed judgement.

As for the story, we've also been told that it'll be based around very old and/or forgotten Disney characters who are out to get their revenge on Mickey, presumably because they're jealous of all his fame and fortune. We Googled 'early Disney characters' and found that Oswald the Lucky Rabbit returned a lot of hits. A bit before even CVG's time all that though.

So not much to go on. We've contacted Disney about the extra info but don't really expect any confirmation as the game's still unannounced. But looking at the concept art, we're quietly excited already. There's plenty more guesswork to be found on NeoGaf.

Might be old news but I like it.

I'm really liking the sound of this. Hopefully it uses motion plus for added accuracy if we're going to be painting/sketching shit.

ismaboof said:
Painting and erasing things does not sound epic.

Old characters trying to get Mickey is freaking sweet though.

I still don't believe any of it though, mainly because they refer to their own article as guesswork?
"Capcom's Okami immediately springs to mind but we've not got enough info to go on to make any kind of informed judgement."

Is Okami not epic?

And parts of what they listed was "guess work" like the Okami part and them digging up old Disney characters.

ismaboof

Black-Wind said:
"Capcom's Okami immediately springs to mind but we've not got enough info to go on to make any kind of informed judgement."

Is Okami not epic?

And parts of what they listed was "guess work" like the Okami part and them digging up old Disney characters.
I only played the demo of Okami, and the painting sure didn't seem epic to me.

They spend the entire article listing what they've been told, and end it with "There's plenty more guesswork to be found on NeoGaf."

Edit: I see your guesswork point, but I still disagree.

sevenchaos said:
I'm really liking the sound of this. Hopefully it uses motion plus for added accuracy if we're going to be painting/sketching shit.
How the hell would motion+ increase accuracy for painting or sketching? You would be using the pointer.

nincompoop said:
How the hell would motion+ increase accuracy for painting or sketching? You would be using the pointer.

I don't want to be Mr. Know-it-all, but MotionPlus could help the Wiimote calculating the angle in which the Wiimote is held, making painting in different directions with different angles of the brush possible.

HUELEN10

Pizza Luigi said:
I don't want to be Mr. Know-it-all, but MotionPlus could help the Wiimote calculating the angle in which the Wiimote is held, making painting in different directions with different angles of the brush possible.
You nailed it. Pointer for pin-pointing, and motionplus for superb "holding" orientation.

(neutral) rexor0717
Banned

(neutral) Eteric Rice
Banned

(neutral) Sinatar
Banned

(neutral) JMC
Banned

(neutral) Danielsan
Banned

(neutral) Darkpen
Banned

(neutral) ymmv
Banned

(neutral) Send in the Clowns
Banned

(neutral) ThatGuy
Banned

(neutral) Goldrusher
Banned

(neutral) GrotesqueBeauty
Banned

(neutral) Hero of Legend
Banned

(neutral) Dra-Q
Banned

(neutral) Mothlight
Banned

(neutral) jon bones
Banned

(neutral) Viewtiful Joe
Banned

(neutral) Audioboxer
Banned

(neutral) Confidence Man
Banned

(neutral) Sneaky_Gopher
Banned

(neutral) WrikaWrek
Banned

(neutral) Second
Banned

(neutral) puebla
Banned

(neutral) Odyssey
Banned

(neutral) Barkley's Justice
Banned

(neutral) Jswanko
Banned

(neutral) Jacobi
Banned

(neutral) BISON!
Banned

(neutral) Sage00
Banned

welp

EmCeeGramr said:
(neutral) rexor0717
Banned

(neutral) Eteric Rice
Banned

(neutral) Sinatar
Banned

(neutral) JMC
Banned

(neutral) Danielsan
Banned

(neutral) Darkpen
Banned

(neutral) ymmv
Banned

(neutral) Send in the Clowns
Banned

(neutral) ThatGuy
Banned

(neutral) Goldrusher
Banned

(neutral) GrotesqueBeauty
Banned

(neutral) Hero of Legend
Banned

(neutral) Dra-Q
Banned

(neutral) Mothlight
Banned

(neutral) jon bones
Banned

(neutral) Viewtiful Joe
Banned

(neutral) Audioboxer
Banned

(neutral) Confidence Man
Banned

(neutral) Sneaky_Gopher
Banned

(neutral) WrikaWrek
Banned

(neutral) Second
Banned

(neutral) puebla
Banned

(neutral) Odyssey
Banned

(neutral) Barkley's Justice
Banned

(neutral) Jswanko
Banned

(neutral) Jacobi
Banned

(neutral) BISON!
Banned

(neutral) Sage00
Banned

welp

dealwithit434.gif

ReiGun

Shadowlink said:
Wow @ all the people who are banned. Was it because it's a wii game or were they making fun of the game in general?
Most seem to be from people making system war statements. Save maybe Odyssey, who was just being kind of an ass.

These concepts arts look really interesting. I cant wait to see some gameplay footage. I wonder of much of what we see here made it pass the conceptual stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom