• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Classic Controller Pro Impressions... best Nintendo controller yet?

ccpro08sm.JPG

Well it's finally out in Japan (with an awesome new color no less) and it's time to put it through the ropes! As the successor to the Classic Controller which allowed you to play every VC game including some Wii games, the Classic Controller Pro comes in and hopes to add a little more usability to the forefront of non-waggle gaming to the Wii.

Co-created by the MH3 Tri team, this Classic Controller Pro has been built to address some issues about the previous CC while making it user friendly to those who are jumping the PS2/PSP boat to take part in the awesomeness that is MH3 Tri.

ccpro02sm.JPG

ccpro03sm.JPG

ccpro13sm.JPG

Here is a PS3 Dualshock 3 and a 360 controller for comparison. The CC Pro is relatively the same size as both controllers but feels more akin to the 360 due to the curvature of the bottom and the grips. In fact, the grips make the CC Pro feel the best out of all 3, IMO, topping the 360s comfort. This is also due to the deepness of the curvature, allowing your fingers to grip more naturally than with the other controllers. It's also light as heck like its predecessor.

ccpro06sm.JPG

ccpro07sm.JPG

In fact, I handed off the Kuro to the wifey and she was in total agreement. :lol

ccpro04sm.JPG

Now in comparison to the other two first party choices, again the CC Pro tops both the CC and the SNES pad in comfort. In regards to d-pad action, I still lean towards the SNES pad being the better out of the three yet the CC Pro is close. I'd liken the CC Pro's d-pad to the DSLite's, but bigger.

The face buttons are of the same build as the CC, so if you liked those then you'll have no issues with these. But it's the triggers that have gone through an obvious change.

ccpro05sm.JPG

Coming from the wonky setup that was the CC, the CC Pro's triggers feel right at home. Not only that, they are all digital versus the L & R analogs in the previous edition. The Zr and Zl buttons are also set like other consoles' controllers, but are digital only. They're very clickly and are positioned just right. And as you can see, the cord is now located on the top versus the bottom.

The analog sticks are spread further apart on the CC Pro than the original as well, so no more unnecessary thumb collisions when you're getting crazy on DBZ:BT3 or whatever.

But not everything is kittens and cotton candy. If you have large hands, I can see it being an issue when gripping the controller. You're still tethered to the Wii-mote (would've been nice to see it as a totally separate controller), plus there are no analog triggers as well. And as pretty as the black ones may be, they're intense fingerprint magnets...

ccpro01sm.JPG

I ran the controller for a couple hours today playing MH3 Tri, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, SFII, Assault Suits Valken, DBZ:BT3, Super Metroid and other random VC games. This is by far one of the most comfortable controllers for extended gaming, hands down. Include the fact that it is built for those who are migrating for others systems makes the CC Pro really versatile and easy to jump into.

So is it worth getting? If you play a lot of games that involve "standard" controls or are a VC nut, then HELL YES IMPORT THIS THING NOW!!! It'll make you want to throw your old CC away as it makes it rather obsolete. Is it the best "standard" controller ever? Kinda hard to say. If it was a standalone and had at least two analog triggers and maybe some rumble, then yes it really is the best. But I think it goes to show that this is what Nintendo should have been making for awhile now. We should also thank the dudes at Capgod for pointing them in the right direction.

So... if you're on the fence in getting one... do it!

ccpro09sm.JPG

EDIT: Oh yeah, if you haven't figured it out, Kuro is fucking shiny.

ccpro11sm.JPG

HUELEN10

Donkey show, mind posting a CC Pro/N64 Pad comparison pick? They look awfully similar, minus the 3rd prong!

Ordered the black one myself, but if I still can, I'll change it too white. That looks WAY too fingerprinty!

GCX

I still want to know how on earth they managed to spend 2 years developing that special black plastic. :lol

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
God, the black wii stuff looks so great.

DungeonO

Gorgeous. I notice they left the attachment ports in the back. I suppose they still have some sort of Wiimote attachment in mind?

*edit* never mind, that's just the Nintendo logo. :lol

Did they change the joysticks any besides placement? For me the ones on the CC didn't have enough resistance and felt too loose.

ninj4junpei said:
Did they change the joysticks any besides placement? For me the ones on the CC didn't have enough resistance and felt too loose.
No, they're exactly the same.

On my old CC, I switched out the sticks with Gamecube ones and it felt awesome. But I think the new grips on the CC Pro really help out in regards to overall feel of the stick versus the CC.

CTLance

I wonder why they kept that ridge between the main body and the prongs. That looks like a good place to accumulate some yummy grime.

That they didn't make it into a standalone controller is making me sad. I mean, the Wii menu can be controlled without the pointer functionality right now. It would have been possible to make this into an old-fashioned controller that could present itself as a "blind" wiimote with CC in its firmware. Sigh.

Curious thing about the loss of analog shoulder buttons. Huh.

Oh well. It's nice to want things. And boy do I want this little beauty now. So shiny.

Nemesis_

At the moment, my controller list looks like this:

SNES Classic Controller
Black Classic Controller Pro <--- New addition thanks to this thread.
Black Wii Remote
Black Nunchuck

>_>

Varion

Oh wow, that's even more of a fingerprint magnet than I thought. Looks fantastic when you take it out the box, but you'd probably have to put the thing in a display cabinet and never touch it to keep it that way. I'll settle with playing with my white one and occasionally looking at pics of the black one insteaad :lol

Got mine today and while I haven't had a chance to actually play the game yet, the controller is really nice. Light, comfortable, well organised... definitely worth buying if you use a controller a lot for the Wii.

Looks great, can't wait for mine to ship over to the UK :D

How does the D-pad feel? Is it the same as the CC? Also how does the controller feel for N64 games?

BooJoh

Two things:

1) controllers should seriously be matte. I know it looks pretty, but fingerprints are so unattractive.

2) I must be the last man alive who prefers controllers without prongs/handgrips.

Love my regular CC, just wish it had more support.

I got one of these today also. Can't say I'm coming away as impressed as the OP, but it's a definite improvement over the Classic Controller.

The sticks are still the same, loose and with the hexagonal guard. The face buttons are identical. The dpad feels a bit more stiff but in a good way. It is not clicky. It's more like the dpad from the SNES Classic Controller. The shoulder buttons are a major improvement, although the second set of shoulder buttons feel mushy the way the L2/R2 buttons on the Dualshock 2 do. Shiny as hell, finger print magnet. Much more comfortable to hold than the Classic Controller.

I put it through its paces on Mega Man 9, Super Mario World, and Mario 64. I can't see any reason to buy a regular CC over this. Thumbs up.

P.S. The SNES Classic Controller is still the best way to play CC games on a Wii that don't require the analog sticks.

HUELEN10

Segata Sanshiro said:
I got one of these today also. Can't say I'm coming away as impressed as the OP, but it's a definite improvement over the Classic Controller.

The sticks are still the same, loose and with the hexagonal guard. The face buttons are identical. The dpad feels a bit more stiff but in a good way. It is not clicky. It's more like the dpad from the SNES Classic Controller. The shoulder buttons are a major improvement, although the second set of shoulder buttons feel mushy the way the L2/R2 buttons on the Dualshock 2 do. Shiny as hell, finger print magnet. Much more comfortable to hold than the Classic Controller.

I put it through its paces on Mega Man 9, Super Mario World, and Mario 64. I can't see any reason to buy a regular CC over this. Thumbs up.

P.S. The SNES Classic Controller is still the best way to play CC games on a Wii that don't require the analog sticks.
OCTAGONAL DAMMIT!
BTW, is the D-Pad clicky?

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Nemesis556 said:
A bit of a different question here, but do the Black Wiimotes come with condoms?

I don't think they make one big enough. ;)

Koodo

Banned
It disappoints me that they didn't change the joysticks though. They always felt off.

The face of the controller is a bit ugly too, looking like an odd metamorphosed shape of the old version. But other than that, sweet stuff!

This looks like the best version of the SNES-type layout controller ever. My god, it looks good.

I can't wait for this stuff to come out in the US. I may import one of these though :D

DanteFox

Nintendo, out of the big 3, knows how to make ergonomic and comfortable controllers best.

*nods knowingly*

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Segata Sanshiro said:
Why, you planning on fucking it?
what I do with my spare time is none of your business

DanteFox said:
Nintendo, out of the big 3, knows how to make ergonomic and comfortable controllers best.

*nods knowingly*
Yeah, they're pretty good at making controllers that are comfortable to hold (though the Wiimote pinches a bit when you hold it sideways), but I find they usually design their controllers very selfishly. They're designed to work amazingly well with Nintendo games and to hell with whatever other games might need. The Gamecube controller is perhaps the apex of that design philosophy.

HUELEN10

Segata Sanshiro said:
Yeah, they're pretty good at making controllers that are comfortable to hold (though the Wiimote pinches a bit when you hold it sideways), but I find they usually design their controllers very selfishly. They're designed to work amazingly well with Nintendo games and to hell with whatever other games might need. The Gamecube controller is perhaps the apex of that design philosophy.
How so?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Segata Sanshiro said:
Anyone who disagrees with this statement is a moron. At least this time Nintendo are giving developers the option, albeit the consumer has to pay for it with their wallet.

HUELEN10 said:
Ever play Capcom vs SNK 2 on GC?

donkey show said:
feels more akin to the 360 due to the curvature of the bottom and the grips. In fact, the grips make the CC Pro feel the best out of all 3, IMO, topping the 360s comfort. This is also due to the deepness of the curvature, allowing your fingers to grip more naturally than with the other controllers. It's also light as heck like its predecessor.
6nsfa6e.gif

Piano black is sexy as hell though.

DanteFox

Well they've been better about it lately but the cube controller wasn't ideal for shooter's, to say the least, though it got by.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
HUELEN10 said:
the cube controller is one of my favourite controllers, but the games Nintendo don't really dabble in, like fighting games, for example, aren't exactly all that easy to play on it.

"selfish" was actually a pretty good way of putting it

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wait the Classic Controllers in Japan have GameCube analog sticks?

DanteFox said:

*nods knowingly*

Yup.

Really wish this thing was wireless though. Ah well.

Rez said:
the cube controller is one of my favourite controllers, but the games Nintendo don't really dabble in, like fighting games, for example, aren't exactly all that easy to play on it.

Eh it not like MS was any better with the 360 controller.

DanteFox

Rez said:

Except the cube controller feels like it was made for smash.

Top Bottom