• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Classic Controller Pro Impressions... best Nintendo controller yet?

Nintendo probably just sees it as a way of saving a little to make more money, really what they do best.

We need a wireless controller....OH LOOK we have wii-motes already, let's make them use those.

Oh and does this mean that Sony isn't in the wrong for keeping the design of theirs the way it is with the 2 sticks in the middle? Seems this is the biggest complaint against the Dualshock line.

anandxxx

bcn-ron said:
It really isn't. The face buttons resist being pressed a little too much, but overall it's still decent.

There are basically two schools of controllers, and people have some trouble crossing over:
1)Grip it by the horns. These are meant to be held tight with firmly closed pinky/ring finger and sometimes middle finger. The palms/base of the thumb always touches the plastic. If you relax your thumbs, they'll both be pointing directly away from you, almost parallel to each other and parallel to the controller's top surface.

2)Free breathing. You balance them on just the tips of your pinkies and ring fingers but the rest your supporting fingers or even the palm don't touch the controller. Your wrists will be further away to the side and higher than the controller's base, and your relaxed thumbs will point inwards, coming down onto the surface only with the tips and first joints.

Prominent members of school 1 are the N64, Gamecube and Xbox pads. The DS tank feels like this, though it lacks the horns (you just grip it very firmly).
Prominent members of school 2 are the NES, SNES and Playstation pads and the Classic Controller, and probably this new one. The DSlite and PSP work like this as well.

If you treat a school 2 pad like a school 1 pad, dicomfort and cramps will be the certain result. That doesn't make them bad. You're just approaching them wrong.

Interesting. But I would rename your 'free breathing' school to 'terrible, unergonomic, archaic' school. I know the Classic is similar to the Dual Shock. I really hate the Dual Shock. Handles are meant to be gripped. Why the hell would anyone want to suspend a controller in a web of fingers, rather than just hold it naturally? Analog buttons are also hideous and impractical, symmetrical diamond shape layouts with no 'home button' suck, using random shapes to identify them compounds the issue, and the four trigger buttons were a really bad idea, ergonomically. Also, using both sticks makes the controller even more unwieldy. I really like Ape Escape, but I find it physically painful to play.

Plus, the Classic Controller has the added bonuses of the sticks (and, therefore, your thumbs) nearly touching each other and squeaky, unresponsive face buttons.

*exhales*

Sorry. Nothing personal. I guess it's just preference. Although I don't see how it could be, honestly. It truly baffles me when people proclaim their love for the Dual Shock. I've despised that thing since it's inception.

zumphry

Banned
Balb said:
The GameCube controller is best suited for SSBB...considering the game was made around that controller.

I've always used the GameCube controller for Brawl, even after trying to use the Classic Controller. I guess my brain can't adjust to the classic controller having the right analogue stick positioned like the DualShock, especially after playing Melee for so long.

Really wish Nintendo would announce a release in the states for the CCP(if they haven't already).

demosthenes said:
Oh and does this mean that Sony isn't in the wrong for keeping the design of theirs the way it is with the 2 sticks in the middle? Seems this is the biggest complaint against the Dualshock line.

haven't used this new classic controller yet, but most of the people who think that don't really understand why the Dualshock sticks are bad. It's not because of how they're positioned, it's because original dualshock was just taking the existing PS1 controller and throwing on two sticks without considering ergonomics at the time. Having both analog sticks in that position work fine if the controller was designed proper with the analog sticks in mind. I mean, a lot of people who think the position is the major problem think that swapping the d-pad and left stick would solve the problem, which really wouldn't. The problem with Sony is that they never thought to evolve the controller and it always stayed as that awkward stop-gap between 2D and 3D centric consoles. Nintendo adapted and Microsoft was introduced during the later era, so they managed to catch on fairly quick.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
The classic controller would cost twice as much if it was wireless, what's the point?

OMG Aero

They could have at least put a clip on the back of the classic controller so you can stick the remote to it instead of having to put it down on a table or chair or something.

Teknoman

Isnt the only reason why it's so light because of the lack of rumble? I'd rather they added that than the controller being light.

EDIT: Brawl was built around the Gamecube controller?

Teknoman said:
Isnt the only reason why it's so light because of the lack of rumble? I'd rather they added that than the controller being light.

EDIT: Brawl was built around the Gamecube controller?
If it were a "true" controller with rumble and gyros, etc., I'd reckon it'd be as heavy as a Dual Shock 3.

And I meant to say the d-pad is more like the DSLite's versus the DSi.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The amount of Finger Prints on the Black stuff has already turned me off the idea. I'll most likely pick up a white CCPro in a month or so when the prices go down to about $30 shipped.

HUELEN10

Drkirby said:
The amount of Finger Prints on the Black stuff has already turned me off the idea.
It immediately turned me off. I am so glad they let me change my mind!
14lijrm.png

Can't wait!

HUELEN10

Drkirby said:
How much did you pay?
42 USD, shipped with speedy EMS. Not that bad really, Wee bit cheaper than Play-Asia. As they left me change my mind, I will go to them once more for some other import hardware needs. So glad they let me change my mind!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Just got my hands in the controller. It is really awesome.. The GC controller is still my favorite, though.

Oli

Seems like the biggest improvement is the spacing of the analog sticks, which would intersect on the old Classic Controller.

The only thing that I can see making it less of a controller than the Gamecube Wavebird is the fact that the D-Pad is in the comfy thumb position instead of the left analog stick. Obviously good for classic gaming, but for other stuff it may be less comfortable.

HUELEN10

So weight, can anyone compare the pro's weight to other controllers for me? I HATE controllers that are too light, so I fill them up with ballasts of sorts. I need to know if I should be buying some now, so I'll be ready when I get it!

Oli

HUELEN10 said:
So weight, can anyone compare the pro's weight to other controllers for me? I HATE controllers that are too light, so I fill them up with ballasts of sorts. I need to know if I should be buying some now, so I'll be ready when I get it!

That's pretty strange actually. Wouldn't it be better over long periods to have a lighter controller? Like the heavy DS vs. the DS Lite?

Genuine question actually, I've never really heard of someone liking heavy products more, except when they assume that heavier = more expensive.

The controller looks like the result of the 360 and PS3 controllers having sex and this is their child.

The only knock I have on it is the dual analogs should be placed like they are on the 360. This makes a vast difference on FPS games. Also, are those triggers analog? If not that is another huge and strange design flaw. After all even the GC had analog triggers and stick placement similar to the 360 pad.

Otherwise, a step in the right direction.

-edit- wait, no rumble? Really? wtf.

HUELEN10

Oli said:
That's pretty strange actually. Wouldn't it be better over long periods to have a lighter controller? Like the heavy DS vs. the DS Lite?

Genuine question actually, I've never really heard of someone liking heavy products more, except when they assume that heavier = more expensive.
Well, it's all about density for me. This is one of the reasons I hated the SIXAXIS so much. With a heavier pad, I tend to have a better grip on the thing. I also tend to hold my controllers upside-down, right under my chin actually, so the extra weight keeps me at bay. I just don't like things that are too light for their size, and if this is a problem, I will remedy it with some ballast. I want to make it weigh like a Wavebird!
JasonMCG said:
I'll buy when/if we get an update that allows me to use the CC with GCN games.
This will NEVER happen.

HUELEN10 said:
Get some now. It's light as a feather. The only other controller I can compare it to is the original CC.

bcn-ron said:
I'm shocked and appalled that even after a few years away from their exhaust pipes, you still haven't cleared Microsoft's Xbox PR messages out of your system. Light controllers are good. Less weight makes a controller more comfortable.
nah, if it's too light (sixaxis) it's really weird. one of the best things about the ds3 is the added weight! that and no dropouts...

HUELEN10

Segata Sanshiro said:
Get some now. It's light as a feather. The only other controller I can compare it to is the original CC.
Oh, so it's bigger, yet as light as a CC? Works for the CC, but that's not gonna fly for the pro. Time to go the hobby shop and get me some weights!

HUELEN10 said:
Oh, so it's bigger, yet as light as a CC? Works for the CC, but that's not gonna fly for the pro. Time to go the hobby shop and get me some weights!
Yeah, it's still just a mostly-empty hunk of plastic. There's a little more plastic, but it's still as hollow as all get-out.

HUELEN10

Segata Sanshiro said:
Yeah, it's still just a mostly-empty hunk of plastic. There's a little more plastic, but it's still as hollow as all get-out.
Hollow just makes it easier to distribute weights in! Have you opened it yourself? I would LOVE to see some shots of the sweet sweet innards.

HUELEN10 said:
Hollow just makes it easier to distribute weights in! Have you opened it yourself? I would LOVE to see some shots of the sweet sweet innards.
Even though it only cost me 2000 yen, I definitely won't be doing that. Haha.

Oli

HUELEN10 said:

Wouldn't the weights just roll around in the controller if you moved it too much? Or do you tape them down?

HUELEN10

Segata Sanshiro said:
Even though it only cost me 2000 yen, I definitely won't be doing that. Haha.
Coward! :p Naw, I gotcha man.
5nvwa1.jpg

Why open it when you don't need too, right?
Oli said:
Wouldn't the weights just roll around in the controller if you moved it too much? Or do you tape them down?
A glue gun and brackets do wonders!

Tiktaalik

bcn-ron said:
I'm shocked and appalled that even after a few years away from their exhaust pipes, you still haven't cleared Microsoft's Xbox PR messages out of your system. Light controllers are good. Less weight makes a controller more comfortable.

wtfffff

-PXG-

Thanks for the impressions.

Oh man, I really want one of these for Tatsunoko. Should I import both the game and the controller or just wait for both to come out in the US. I am soooooo tempted.

HUELEN10

-PXG- said:

Oh man, I really want one of these for Tatsunoko. Should I import both the game and the controller or just wait for both to come out in the US. I am soooooo tempted.
Get both. Tatsunoko USA will be a different experience. Get both, and get them now! :D

-PXG-

HUELEN10 said:
Get both. Tatsunoko USA will be a different experience. Get both, and get them now! :D

Hmmm. When I get paid next week, I'll either get one from eBay or ask my co-worker to import me a copy.

The controller looks nice, but I may get a Wii Hori stick instead...

HUELEN10

-PXG- said:
Hmmm. When I get paid next week, I'll either get one from eBay or ask my co-worker to import me a copy.

The controller looks nice, but I may get a Wii Hori stick instead...
I had a Wii Hori Stick, damn good product, just get an octo-gate for it though.

Oli

I'm incredibly tempted to buy one of these... The problem is that I rarely use my Classic Controller as it is, basically just for SNES virtual console games.

If Nintendo starts implementing it in more games later on, I may have to buy one... Though I think it's safe to say they won't.

-PXG- said:

No prob man. :D

Hmmm, tough one. Get the controller for sure because it's still up in the air as to when the US will be getting them. As for TvC... that's tough. I'd say wait for the US version as it balances a lot of the characters out from the original and will have new players. It'd be like getting SFII:HF versus SFII.

The Wii Hori Fighting Stick is awesome btw. I use it to play River City Ransom and MM9 all the time. :lol

-PXG-

donkey show said:
No prob man. :D

Hmmm, tough one. Get the controller for sure because it's still up in the air as to when the US will be getting them. As for TvC... that's tough. I'd say wait for the US version as it balances a lot of the characters out from the original and will have new players. It'd be like getting SFII:HF versus SFII.

The Wii Hori Fighting Stick is awesome btw. I use it to play River City Ransom and MM9 all the time. :lol

You know you just made my situation worse... :lol

Regulus Tera said:
Wait, the triggers are digital again?

HOLY FUCK THIS IS GONNA BE AWESOME FOR SIN AND PUNISHMENT
Ehnnn, I have no way to test them. They don't click at the bottom anymore, but they certainly have enough "give" to be analog.

Either way, the CC Pro was pretty much designed by the Mohan guys for Mohan and it's never ever coming out in North America, so don't worry too much about it.

Shiggy

Segata Sanshiro said:
Ehnnn, I have no way to test them. They don't click at the bottom anymore, but they certainly have enough "give" to be analog.

Either way, the CC Pro was pretty much designed by the Mohan guys for Mohan and it's never ever coming out in North America, so don't worry too much about it.

What is Mohan?

HUELEN10

Segata Sanshiro said:
See, THIS is why I wanna open one of these bad boys up! Come on GAF, surely I am not the only one with the balls to do it, right? I would hope not!

demosthenes said:
They're not in the wrong if the primary use of the Dual Shock is emulated decade-old games.

Shiggy said:
What is Mohan?

Monster Hunter - dunno why "Mohan" instead of "MonHun" though.

I'm also not as certain as Segata that the CCPro won't make it to the West, although it does seem to be designed more for the Japanese market - it's confirmed to be supported by upcoming titles like Sengoku Musou 3, and I see it as a (small) gesture toward the developers and players who are unconvinced by the Remote.

Shiggy

Segata Sanshiro said:
Monster Hunter. Sorry, it's all any of my students call it. Tends to stick in the brain.

Ok ;)
So did you mean the CC Pro isn't coming to Europe/US or MH3? Weren't both displayed at E3?

Top Bottom