• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Classic Controller Pro Impressions... best Nintendo controller yet?

bdouble

I'd say it's awesome and maybe best ninendo controller ever even i put it up for best controller ever period if the triggers were taken off of a GCN pad w/digital click and analog. Still pisse me off they took those off the Wii.

KevinCow

Banned
bdouble said:
I'd say it's awesome and maybe best ninendo controller ever even i put it up for best controller ever period if the triggers were taken off of a GCN pad w/digital click and analog. Still pisse me off they took those off the Wii.

The original Classic Controller has analog shoulder buttons with a digital click, but I don't think there's a single game that uses them so they weren't really losing anything by taking it off the CC Pro.

Linkzg said:
Did they change the controller for the American release? Just from my import CC Pro, I'll say that if you think the original Classic Controller has a better d-pad, you're certifiably insane. I suggest you call an institution and check yourself in. Just make sure Nurse Ratched doesn't find out what you're in for or you best be expecting a lobotomy.

The CC Pro d-pad is fantastic

I got the one that came in the Monster Hunter SE and the d-pad is a nightmare for TvC. OCC's was considerably better for that game. Did I get some gimped version? I want a real d-pad. One that recognizes something as basic as qcf. It's almost the same as using the original DS d-pad for such motions.

Also my d-pad isn't raised to the same extent as the pictures in this thread, it's more smooshed into the d-pad frame. Works fine for basic titles but not any that require more than single direction motions at a time.

bdouble

KevinCow said:
The original Classic Controller has analog shoulder buttons with a digital click, but I don't think there's a single game that uses them so they weren't really losing anything by taking it off the CC Pro.
Yeah but they aren't the same as the GC pad ones. Not as responsive and your fingers don't stay on them. GC pad triggers came straight down unlike the PS3 and 360 analogs. And when it comes to the PS3 your fingers just slip off most the time and yes I know about the trigger thingys.

i ended up with a bootleg pad from ebay, the d-pad is completely worthless. still usable for N64 games, but that's really it.

Now I have an official one from Amazon, and the d-pad is amazing.

KevinCow said:

A couple games I own used the analog shoulder buttons including Smash Bros Brawl. I know Dragon Ball Z BT3 had two different functions assigned to a full and half press.

It's a feature seldom used and those are games support the Gamecube controller anyway.

Space A Cobra said:
I got the one that came in the Monster Hunter SE and the d-pad is a nightmare for TvC. OCC's was considerably better for that game. Did I get some gimped version? I want a real d-pad. One that recognizes something as basic as qcf. It's almost the same as using the original DS d-pad for such motions.

Also my d-pad isn't raised to the same extent as the pictures in this thread, it's more smooshed into the d-pad frame. Works fine for basic titles but not any that require more than single direction motions at a time.

Keep in mind a lot of the pictures in this thread were from the Japanese version. Again, I have no clue if it was changed for the American release.

sfried

KevinCow said:
Really? I thought those were THE BEST PARTS of the GameCube controller. I love the analog press with digital click. Rogue Leader/Rebel Strike made good use of them. Too bad Twin Snakes wasted such a fine opportunity to use the analogue portion for aiming/digital press for firing and instead settles for some "safety" control scheme.

bdouble said:
Yeah but they aren't the same as the GC pad ones. Not as responsive and your fingers don't stay on them. GC pad triggers came straight down unlike the PS3 and 360 analogs. And when it comes to the PS3 your fingers just slip off most the time and yes I know about the trigger thingys.
Is that so? I really wish I could get my hands on an Original Classic Controller so I could have a feel for myself. Too bad they're being phased out like flies on a bug zapper.

I'm still not fond of the shoulder button placement on the Pro. It reminds me too much of the Dual Shock (which I despise to no end), and I really dislike having to place my middle fingers on a second pair of shoulder buttons that hardly get used to be press anyways.

And the grips, while comfortable, only make it harder for storing.

KevinCow

Banned
Linkzg said:
A couple games I own used the analog shoulder buttons including Smash Bros Brawl. I know Dragon Ball Z BT3 had two different functions assigned to a full and half press.

It's a feature seldom used and those are games support the Gamecube controller anyway.

I don't know about the DBZ game, but I'm pretty sure Brawl doesn't have Melee's analog shields. It's just on or off.

sfried said:
Really? I thought those were THE BEST PARTS of the GameCube controller. I love the analog press with digital click. Rogue Leader/Rebel Strike made good use of them. Too bad Twin Snakes wasted such a fine opportunity to use the analogue portion for aiming/digital press for firing and instead settles for some "safety" control scheme.

I know there are Gamecube games that use them. I was talking specifically about the Classic Controller's shoulder buttons.

KevinCow said:
I don't know about the DBZ game, but I'm pretty sure Brawl doesn't have Melee's analog shields. It's just on or off.

I know there are Gamecube games that use them. I was talking specifically about the Classic Controller's shoulder buttons.
Yeah Brawl doesn't have the analog shields. I'm curious to see how Brawl feels on the CCPro.

Nessus

Likewise, got one last week.

Aside from it feeling a little cheap due to it being really light because of no rumble, it's the most comfortable traditional gamepad I've held (my previous favorite was the 360's controller).

I know some people may prefer to swap fingers, but I like how all 4 shoulder buttons feel natural, unlike the PS3 or 360 pads.

Love the texture of the lower half, and smooth top, too.

TunaLover

I really like the grips angle, makes it feel like a PS2 controller but with the shape of the GCN grips. It feels very comfortable. The button placement is just great, it's just like SNES scheme.

thetrue.jpg

Chris R

My local Best Buy didn't have any in stock :( I have gift cards I need to spend damnit! The dude was like "We got tons of copies of Monster Hunter!!!" I carefully explained that I played the demo and would never be purchasing the game, I just wanted the damn controller :lol

No clue when they will be back in stock :|

Top Bottom