• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Classic Controller Pro Impressions... best Nintendo controller yet?

Captain N

HUELEN10 said:
I got it, and let me just say this...
BEST D-PAD ON A NINTENDO CONSOLE PAD EVER!

I even opened it up! Full impressions and pics of the sweet SWEET innards coming in a jiffy!

you aren't making it easy for me not to import this bad boy!

HUELEN10 said:

I even opened it up! Full impressions and pics of the sweet SWEET innards coming in a jiffy!

Best since Gameboy Micro, that's for sure. Gameboy Micro is probably the best Nintendo D-pad, which would make this the second best tied with the SNES, but since it's a more rounded controller, it's even I guess. I will say that the regular L/R (not Zr/Zl) are probably the best shoulder buttons ever (if you ignore the lack of analog).

And I did try it with Smash Bros the other day and none of the four shoulder buttons are analog at all, so, not every game will work as intended. I know in DBZ BT3, a half and full press have different actions.

btw, Sin and Punishment using this controller is freaking great.

Had my eye on one since it was announced, always wondered why there wasn't a bigger deal made about it, I thought it sounded awesome for the 'core' games that didn't want to use motion and crap just for the sake of it but I always hated playing 3D games on the old classic :D (glorious for 2D stuff though).

I got a white one.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm not a huge fan of the CC d-pad. Too clicky. I am a huge fan of the SNES pad though.

Same goes with the face buttons. Prefer the Dualshock and SNES face buttons. I have no clue why they keep going with the non symmetrical layout for the buttons...it's much less comfortable. Buttons are too clicky as well.

Still not a bad pad though. I use the CC with the Nyko grip.

wow, you guys really like the snes d-pad? its all soft and wobbly and icky

if i want to press up up down down left right left right i want to press up up down down left right damnit

HUELEN10

BTW: If you see an angry face on the controller, is because I was "Chomping on Wonka" like an hour before and was kinda sugared up.

5b8c8856.jpg

Notice anything odd?
b61c5c1a.png

Do you see it?
e8ac9de9.png

That's right, just like the original CC and the GCN controller, this pad has a SLIDER SYSTEM in place for analog click triggers, yet only the slider system itself. The actual sliders, and functionality is gone.
2f445ac9.png

See? Just regular buttons, and nothing more.
55b8662f.jpg

CP, in my Classic Controller Pro? It's more likely than you think!

The new controller looks hot. I wish they would've just designed the CC to look like that in the first place. The only thing that bothers me is that there's still not a great way to play N64 games due to the left analog stick not being in the primary position, though I suppose that it's much more important to focus on the D-pad since that's the primary control mechanism for the vast majority of VC games.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
bcn-ron said:
It really isn't. The face buttons resist being pressed a little too much, but overall it's still decent.

There are basically two schools of controllers, and people have some trouble crossing over:
1)Grip it by the horns. These are meant to be held tight with firmly closed pinky/ring finger and sometimes middle finger. The palms/base of the thumb always touches the plastic. If you relax your thumbs, they'll both be pointing directly away from you, almost parallel to each other and parallel to the controller's top surface.

2)Free breathing. You balance them on just the tips of your pinkies and ring fingers but the rest your supporting fingers or even the palm don't touch the controller. Your wrists will be further away to the side and higher than the controller's base, and your relaxed thumbs will point inwards, coming down onto the surface only with the tips and first joints.

Prominent members of school 1 are the N64, Gamecube and Xbox pads. The DS tank feels like this, though it lacks the horns (you just grip it very firmly).
Prominent members of school 2 are the NES, SNES and Playstation pads and the Classic Controller, and probably this new one. The DSlite and PSP work like this as well.

If you treat a school 2 pad like a school 1 pad, dicomfort and cramps will be the certain result. That doesn't make them bad. You're just approaching them wrong.

I know this post is several days old, but I just read it and it made me realize what I've been doing wrong with the PS2 pad all this time. I'll have to try, um, balancing it on my pinkies and ring ringers, or whatever. Because I honestly do cramp up trying to grip the damn thing.

marc1988

Neo Member
hey you guys, any news on a possible black wii motion plus (from nintendo)? If nintendo is planning to release a black version they will probably release it before years end right?

If nintendo for some sort of strange reason dicides not to make black wii motion plusses, are you guys going to paint/spraypaint your white WM+?

If so how do you safe it from letting lose of the plastic? And what color black is best used?

Just got my CCPro, it's pretty sweet its a great allrounder that works well for everything really but its not the best for everything. Wiimote on its side is still the best for NES and TG16 games, regular CC is best for SNES and GCN is still best for most N64 games (Except for Sin & Punishment, where the CCPro is best)

Unexpectidly though, the CCPro makes for a great Mega Drive controller! Because of its longish prongs you don't really rest your thumb on the Y and B buttons like on the CC/SNES controller so you end up holding it more like a MD controller!

I haven't tried it with any Wii games that support the CC yet though but I would imagine that it would be the best choice for "traditional" games that support the CC!

Dunno how that double post happened but oh well!

BTW I bet that Ninty originally wanted clickable L & R buttons but then the MonHun guys said no!

Another one here who agrees that it's the best d-pad Nintendo has ever produced. I wasn't that big of a fan of the original CC d-pad, but to my surprise after using it intensively (Contra: Rebirth!) this one feels a lot better.

I own 2 Saturn pads and I think I even prefer the CCP's, because of its cross shape (better for diagonals). Went and ordered another one (white, currently own the black one).

HUELEN10

The Main Event said:
I own 2 Saturn pads and I think I even prefer the CCP's, because of its cross shape (better for diagonals).
Count me in too, as I completely agree. This thing is fucking awesome.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Wonder how long we have to wait in the US for it. Unless they announce it soon, it most likely won't hit till spring at the very least though.

Drkirby said:
Wonder how long we have to wait in the US for it. Unless they announce it soon, it most likely won't hit till spring at the very least though.

You have 20% off if you're paying with a Visa card at Play-Asia until Sep. 9th. Total's $34 USD with shipping, which ain't that bad at all.

Volcynika

The Main Event said:
You have 20% off if you're paying with a Visa card at Play-Asia until Sep. 9th. Total's $34 USD with shipping, which ain't that bad at all.

Yep! Mine shipped this past Monday, should be here this week (hopefully)!

nightez

Banned
A few questions. Do the analog sticks have buttons now? And how comfortable is it compared the original Gamepad Pad and the Wavebird?

nightez said:
A few questions. Do the analog sticks have buttons now? And how comfortable is it compared the original Gamepad Pad and the Wavebird?
No buttons on the sticks. Due to the weight, or rather lack of, with the combination of the added handles, it's very comfy compared to the other two.

nightez

Banned
donkey show said:
No buttons on the sticks. Due to the weight, or rather lack of, with the combination of the added handles, it's very comfy compared to the other two.

Ok thanx. Great. looks like I will be getting one of these.

The Main Event said:
I got mine as well
Code:
Wii Classic Controller Pro (Black)  (Japan)  	  	1  	US$ 23.92 (~16.86 EUR)  	US$ 23.92 (~16.86 EUR)
Summe 	US$ 23.92 (~16.86 EUR)
Versand 	US$ 9.40 (~6.62 EUR)
Total 	US$ 33.32 (~23.48 EUR)

I hope this doesn't take 3 weeks again :lol

AppleBlade

Just got mines and I love it, I just finished playing Super Mario 64 with it and it is superb. It fits way more comfortable in my hands and having the cable coming out the top is much better. The different layout for the shoulder buttons is way better (what were they thinking with the original classic controller?).

Eric C

HUELEN10 said:

I have to agree. It's the best Nintendo d-pad ever. For me, it just BARELY beats out the SNES d-pad IMO. But the Saturn still has my all time favorite d-pad.

I've also found something else surprising. I personally find both d-pad and analog stick placement much more comfortable on this compared to Sony's Dual Shock. I wasn't expecting that, at all, considering it looks so similar.

robot

So I got one of these today and everything seems great, except for the d-pad. At first I thought it was completely dead but I realized I need to press down with a fair amount of pressure in a direction for it to register. I can actually press a direction without anything happening on screen - very weird.

Is this normal or could there be something wrong with this thing? It came from Hong Kong so I'd pretty much be stuck with it regardless.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Are you sure its the real deal? Discription reminds me of a knock off GCN pad I got a few weeks back.

Shiggy

robot said:
I'll check the packaging, didn't occur that knockoffs were out there. Everything looked legit when I opened it - here's a link to the auction (which is very little help).

I'll post some pics when I get outta work. Thanks guys.

Where's the link? ;)

MoxManiac

Drkirby said:

Is Nintendo even planning on releasing it over here at all?

I'm tempted to import one.

marc1988 said:
hey you guys, any news on a possible black wii motion plus (from nintendo)? If nintendo is planning to release a black version they will probably release it before years end right?

If nintendo for some sort of strange reason dicides not to make black wii motion plusses, are you guys going to paint/spraypaint your white WM+?

If so how do you safe it from letting lose of the plastic? And what color black is best used?
Black wiimotes, nunchucks and motion pluses are out in North America.

sk3tch

robot said:
I'll check the packaging, didn't occur that knockoffs were out there. Everything looked legit when I opened it - here's a link to the auction (which is very little help).

Pretty sure that's a fake. I was just shopping for these and it looks like "official" ones aren't any cheaper than $40. This auction even outlines that it is a knock-off and it shares your box-type (but then again so does Play-Asia! So who knows. I would go for one with the MH3 Tri box to be sure maybe??

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Are people complaining that much about it being wired? It's not like you're tethered to the TV, just let the Wii remote rest next to you on the couch or something.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
My Super Famicom Classic Controller will still be used for all SNES games. NES, I'll stick with the Wiimote, but for N64 titles I'll definitely move onto this. Albeit, the Gamecube controller is still the most comfortable controller for me, when given the option (and not using the DPad)

gkryhewy

Any word on a US release of this? Amazon sells the imports for $34.99 shipped, by the way.

EDIT: You can order white, but not black at the moment. This morning it was available for shipping on the 11th. They were in stock for months and months, which makes me wonder if a US release is imminent.

they were sold out last time we checked at our local retail store. My mum loves it so I want to get one for here as well. Perhaps I'll get another one from Play-Asia for under 20€. It's 29€ here :(

HUELEN10

There is a sorta quick way to know if the pad is legit or not...

Look at your club nintendo sheet in the box!

robot

I emailed the seller and he explained that it is a "third party" version. He is offering a refund or replacement which is cool.

HUELEN10

robot said:
I emailed the seller and he explained that it is a "third party" version. He is offering a refund or replacement which is cool.
Get the refund, or he will just bamboozle you with a slightly higher-quality knockoff.

HUELEN10

gkrykewy said:
Man, if you can't trust Hong Kong sellers on eBay with suspiciously low prices, who can you trust?
Play-Asia

The only time where you can be sure it's real is if it like just came out, like same week of launch sort of thing. That is how I got my legit one.

HUELEN10

OMG Aero said:
They don't sell the Pro in the US?
They've sold them from a while in the UK but only in the black colour.
UK has no White? That kinda sucks. :( At least you guys have them though, knowing NOA...

Yeah.

JodyAnthony: Raise hell ASAP, get your refund, and get your CC Pro from a reputable source.

robot said:
how bad is it? like do the analog sticks and everything work properly? I might keep it if so, I only plan to use it for N64 games anyway. however if the whole thing is bad I'm requesting a refund as well.

CO_Andy

robot said:

Was looking at this earlier. I'll probably just pick one up from Amazon down the line.

You aught to slam that skank with some negative feedback; his 100% score is asking for it.

Top Bottom