• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Classic Controller Pro Impressions... best Nintendo controller yet?

Shiggy said:
Ok ;)
So did you mean the CC Pro isn't coming to Europe/US or MH3? Weren't both displayed at E3?
They had a Panasonic Q at e3 2001, but that never cam over. =(

But the cc pro has a better chance coming over. I remember asking the booth peeps at the ninty e3 booth this year about it, but they didn't know.

Davey Cakes

MikeE21286 said:
man if there were a black WM+ I would be all over another Wiimote and CC pro combo
And therein lies the problem with having multiple colors for a peripheral-heavy system like the Wii.

The system has made it quite far by making things simple for the consumer. You walk into an aisle, and you have a choice of nothing but white. You want a Wiimote? It's white. Nunchuk? White. LAN Adapter? White. MotionPlus? White. Classic Controller? White.

More colors is just going to fuck things up. Now people are going to demand different colors for every single controller and attachment for the Wii, and it'll turn Wii aisles in stores all over the world into big messes. Bleh.

anandxxx said:
Why the hell would anyone want to suspend a controller in a web of fingers, rather than just hold it naturally?

"In a web of fingers" (or, more accurately, held tightly on the sides using the part of your palm directly below the index finger while being supported on the back with the top surface of your curled middle fingers) is the natural way to hold these controllers.

You are correct in identifying the DualShock as an ergonomically poor controller, but there are other controllers held in the same fashion that are quite comfortable when held in the intended fashion, a way that almost anyone can hold them, but which an attempt to force them to fit the 360-pad style of holding will make wildly uncomfortable.

Epic Tier 3 Engineer said:
Meh. Make it cordless and I'll buy two. Otherwise, what's the point, the classic works fine for VC games and the GC for everything else.

Does anybody know if Monster Hunter will work with a GC controller?

Just ordered one off of Play Asia. Can't wait.

Playing Majora's Mask felt somewhat strange with the regular classic controller, hopefully the pro will make it better. Oh, and Monster Hunter hype has hit me as well, so, I'm looking forward to playing that...in...a year. Awesome :(

But yes, here's to better handling :lol

deleted

shouamabane said:
Does anybody know if Monster Hunter will work with a GC controller?

I think it uses both the z1 and the z2 trigger, so GC Controller isn´t possible. But maybe there is another control option with only 2 shoulder buttons (PSP mode?).

VerTiGo

Banned
xyla said:
I think it uses both the z1 and the z2 trigger, so GC Controller isn´t possible. But maybe there is another control option with only 2 shoulder buttons (PSP mode?).

What!?

That really sucks if true. I hope that changes for North American release if that's the case. I just ordered one of these:

hori_classic_controller_250.jpg

Without question the best option for VC and and GC games on the Wii. Honestly, the Classic Controller Pro is still crap in comparison.

HUELEN10

VerTiGo said:
What!?

That really sucks if true. I hope that changes for North American release if that's the case. I just ordered one of these:

hori_classic_controller_250.jpg

Without question the best option for VC and and GC games on the Wii. Honestly, the Classic Controller Pro is still crap in comparison.
What? That plugs into the EXT port on the Wii Remote. Playing GCN games is impossible! You got royally owned!
2i78dfo.png

If you want to play GCN games with this, better hope they'll take a return!

Somnid

HUELEN10 said:
What? That plugs into the EXT port on the Wii Remote. PLaying GCN games is impossible! You got royally owned!
If you want to play GCN games with this, better hope they'll take a return!

Also, if he had to order one of those online I'm guessing he doesn't have a CCP either and therefore shouldn't be making judgements.

HUELEN10

VerTiGo said:
Really? I was under the impression it was just a WaveBird.
Then you don't read what you're buying well enough. This controller is nice, but it is lacking in many ways. Since it is a CLASSIC CONTROLLER, The D-Pad being GCN-sized doesn't help, and thanks to the analog click-triggers, it is not a superb Brawl pad either. Also, your avatar doesn't show at all, since you linked to a webpage and not the image itself, just a heads up. I like it TBH. Seriously though, if it has a home button, it is NOT a GCN pad.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
this thread has pushed me over the edge. i'm ordering a cc pro as i type this. together with it i was planning to snatch a nice little copy of soma bringer on sale for $15. that was in the morning. as of now it's $52. now that's what i call 'grrrrr'.

Somnid

blu said:
this thread has pushed me over the edge. i'm ordering a cc pro as i type this. together with it i was planning to snatch a nice little copy of soma bringer on sale for $15. that was in the morning. as of now it's $52. now that's what i call 'grrrrr'.

Really? Soma Bringer's a bargain bin game, I picked it up for $9 new.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Somnid said:
Really? Soma Bringer's a bargain bin game, I picked it up for $9 new.
not at play asia. apparently there it has reached collector status.

Oli

Brandon F said:
No rumble...
No cordless...

No buy.

Why do people want cordless? That's just another set of battery's. It plugs into the Wii Remote, which is cordless, so it's pretty much cordless anyway, it's not like you have to sit close to the TV or anything.

Rumble would have been nice, but the cord thing I don't understand.

Segata Sanshiro said:
I'm pretty sure NoA flat-out said they aren't releasing it in NA. Could come to Europe, I suppose.
Why the flipping fuck wouldn't they release it here? Ugh, I hate NOA so much.

cartman414 said:
Capcom codesigned the CC Pro?
Yup, the latest Iwata asks on the JP Nintendo site explains that they had the MH3 Tri team improve on certain aspects of the CC that would make it easier for people to jump in coming in from other consoles.

BooJoh

anandxxx said:
Interesting. But I would rename your 'free breathing' school to 'terrible, unergonomic, archaic' school. [...] Why the hell would anyone want to suspend a controller in a web of fingers, rather than just hold it naturally?
It's totally a matter of opinion. I would much rather have a lightweight controller like the SNES pad or a GBm resting in my fingertips than to be gripping something with prongs. My biggest problems with the CC were the shoulder buttons, the central sticks, the face buttons feel a bit too raised, and I'd prefer a slightly thinner casing. But I still prefer it over any other Wii controller when possible.

Different strokes I guess.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Oli said:
Why do people want cordless? That's just another set of battery's. It plugs into the Wii Remote, which is cordless, so it's pretty much cordless anyway, it's not like you have to sit close to the TV or anything.

Rumble would have been nice, but the cord thing I don't understand.

I HATE being tethered to the Wiimote. Plus battery life will be draining anyway from my wiimote. Much rather cut out the middleman and just feed batteries to the CC.

donkey show said:
Yup, the latest Iwata asks on the JP Nintendo site explains that they had the MH3 Tri team improve on certain aspects of the CC that would make it easier for people to jump in coming in from other consoles.

Interesting. I thought the CC Pro was already released awhile back.

Niblet

Definitely getting this baby when MH-Tri drops in NA. If they don't bring it state-side by then I guess I'll be importing. Hopefully Japan gets a limited edition Monster Hunter design one like the first classic controller. I'd be all over that baby.

HUELEN10 said:
So, is anyone gonna one one of these up for the greater good, or is it all up to me?

CC Pro? Yeah, I'm getting one. Though, I went with Play Asia's second cheapest shipping option, so I'll be sure to answer any questions in 2 weeks once I actually get it.

Wait, I'm dumb. I thought you just meant get one, not open it up :lol

I mean, I guess I COULD, especially if it's just screwed together, but I dunno if I will :lol

surely this question has been answered......but can you play basically everything (except for Wii-mote only Wii titles....which is most of them obviously) with the CC pro?

HUELEN10

MikeE21286 said:
surely this question has been answered......but can you play basically everything (except for Wii-mote only Wii titles....which is most of them obviously) with the CC pro?
You can only use the CC Pro with CC compatible titles. Simple as that!

Niblet

HUELEN10 said:
So, is anyone gonna one one of these up for the greater good, or is it all up to me?

I'm definitely not going to one one of them.
I'm also not going to OPEN one either. ;)

xyla said:
Hmm, really? When it was said there was a PSP-like control mode to help people transition from those versions, I figured that must mean it would only need one shoulder on each side.

billy.sea

Banned
The D-Pad looks good.
I wonder if the Capcom's fighting team (other than MH3 team) was involve in the controller design too.

billy.sea said:
The D-Pad looks good.
I wonder if the Capcom's fighting team (other than MH3 team) was involve in the controller design too.
It's pretty much the same as the CC d-pad. It's okay, but not as good as the SNES attachment.

MiDNiGHTS said:
It would have been the best yet with rumble and wireless.

And 6 face buttons, plus with rumble it would be proper to use with N64 games, this update is completely pointless other than collecting,

SonOfABeep said:
(maybe prefer asymettrical sticks, but i'll take what's there)

That too, maybe next time Nintendo will get it right.

I just got this in the mail (ordered on Saturday. :bow ncsx) and my first thought taking it out of the box was that it felt like I wasn't holding anything, but when I actually held and used it, I might agree with the thread title. This thing is incredibly comfortable to hold. The only "off" part of the controller is that you need to reach over the analog sticks to press start/select, which feels a bit weird. Shoulder buttons are a lot better (if you ignore the analog functionality); doesn't feel clicky but has a nice press. D-pad is way, way better than the original classic controller. It feels a bit more raised off the surface and there is more definition between directions.

Problems I have with it are mostly what I had with the classic controller. Not truly wireless, no rumble and can't be used to control Gamecube games. Other than that, it's really nice.

got the black one, btw. dust magnet like the PS3 is.

semiregular

Neo Member
I'm loving the CC Pro now, it's a hugh improvement on the original CC I have to say. I don't mind the not true wireless bit, since I can put the wiimote in my lap anyway, but I want rumble badly...

HUELEN10

I got it, and let me just say this...
BEST D-PAD ON A NINTENDO CONSOLE PAD EVER!

I even opened it up! Full impressions and pics of the sweet SWEET innards coming in a jiffy!

HUELEN10 said:
I got it, and let me just say this...
BEST D-PAD ON A NINTENDO CONSOLE PAD EVER!

I even opened it up! Full impressions and pics of the sweet SWEET innards coming in a jiffy!

but is it better than a dsi?

HUELEN10

tetrisgrammaton said:
but is it better than a dsi?
I would say yes! It is not clicky, or hard, yet it is extremely responsive, especially on the diagonals! Good job Ninty! Still uploading pics, interesting stuff button-wise, including why I think the shoulders were originally gonna be analog click-triggers...

Top Bottom