• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Classic Controller Pro Impressions... best Nintendo controller yet?

HUELEN10

speedpop said:
Ever play Capcom vs SNK 2 on GC?
Nope.
Rez said:
the cube controller is one of my favourite controllers, but the games Nintendo don't really dabble in, like fighting games, for example, aren't exactly all that easy to play on it.

"selfish" was actually a pretty good way of putting it
So only fighters had a problem?
2610u15.jpg

Problem solved.
DungeonO said:
The Classic Controller has analog sticks in all regions...
You misread. OP put GCN caps on his a while back.
Andrex said:
Eh it not like MS was any better with the 360 controller.
Exactly. That's why digital pads exist.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Ew third party!

The only thing that I disliked about the GC controller was the stick placed in an octagon opening, which are still there in the Wii incarnations.

DungeonO

HUELEN10 said:
Nope.

So only fighters had a problem?
2610u15.jpg

Problem solved.

I never understood that. I guess the D pad and shoulder buttons are much better, but it still has that goofy button layout. I couldn't imagine it would be that much better for fighters...

HUELEN10

Speaking of Smash, the CC Pro is THE controller for Brawl right? Lack of analog shoulders tells me this...
DungeonO said:
If they re-released Super Mario Sunshine, that wouldn't be a problem...
Yes there would, the analog click-triggers are gone on the CC Pro, that' why it's awesome for Brawl! :lol

The button layout on the Hori pad is still horrendously asymmetrical and bizarre, which is the main problem with using the Cube controller for fighting games.

The 360 controller is definitely a less "selfish" design as it essentially sticks to the "standard" controller layout.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
DungeonO said:
The Classic Controller has analog sticks in all regions...

ccpro04sm.JPG

wiiClassicController.jpg

Different sticks.

HUELEN10 said:
Speaking of Smash, the CC Pro is THE controller for Brawl right? Lack of analog shoulders tells me this...

Wiimote + Nunchuk will always be the best option.

DungeonO

HUELEN10 said:
Yes there would, the analog click-triggers are gone on the CC Pro, that' why it's awesome for Brawl! :lol

I think my "joke" went over your head. Don't worry, it wasn't that funny to begin with. :D

DungeonO

I have to admit though, the fact that Nintendo didn't take this opportunity to add two more face buttons to better accommodate N64 and Genesis games is slightly disappointing. I would have been fine if they even just moved Z1 and Z2 to the face of the controller.

HUELEN10

DungeonO said:
I have to admit though, the fact that Nintendo didn't take this opportunity to add two more face buttons to better accommodate N64 and Genesis games is slightly disappointing. I would have been fine if they even just moved Z1 and Z2 to the face of the controller.
416SMql63wL._AA280_.jpg

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
The last thing you want to be doing is buying 3rd party peripherals though, especially when the manufacturer of the console you are playing on is renowned for having the best hardware in the business.

DanteFox

true dat. I learned the hard way last gen with the 3rd party cube controllers. The controllers broke in one way or another while the first party ones were like tanks.

I'm actually surprised more of the companies involved with VC (Nintendo included) haven't taken the opportunity to cash in with Classic Controllers based around their various systems' designs. So far it's just been the SNES Classic Controller and the Neo Geo Stick. C'mon, SEGA!

HUELEN10

DanteFox said:
true dat. I learned the hard way last gen with the 3rd party cube controllers. The controllers broke in one way or another while the first party ones were like tanks.
As far as I'm concerned, Hori is NOT 3rd party.
20trpxi.jpg

29m1t8w.jpg

2mpfq6c.jpg

5vq5he.jpg

Their stuff is THE SHIT.

DungeonO

Hori has a long history of producing hardware that rivals the originals in quality. Their hardware is on par with Nintendo, Sony, etc. The fact that they have been providing licensed hardware since the Famicom says enough about their reputation.

HUELEN10

Here's another question, has the connector tip changed at all? I noticed that the tip on the old CC is slightly looser compared to the one on the nunchuck.

vanty

Andrex said:
Only casual players (or goobers) use stick smashes. You can't even charge them up that way.
Actually competitive players are probably the most likely to use C-stick smashes since you can do them easily while dashing among other things. Obviously they use normal tap-A smashes as well, it all depends on the situation.

swerve

Classic PRO as the best traditional Nintendo controller? It's close (the shoulder buttons are especially beautiful to press) but it's not got the magic of the SNES pad somehow.

But certainly the sticks, the shoulder buttons and the grips/handles are far better than any post-snes controller.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
It wasn't bad enough that I picked up Tatsunoko vs. Capcom when it came out, thinking it wouldn't never see a release in Western countries. Nooooo, I had to buy 2 friggin' classic controllers with it. Well, it's not so bad in TvC, but the L and R triggers suck for 2D fighting games.

:(

topofuji

Banned
People are getting their black Pro's already?
I'm ordering one in a few days (perhaps two, a white and black or 2 blacks), along with the new black Wiimote/Nunhucks, etc

Is...is that a glossy finish? Looks amazing.

The lack of analog L and R saddens me, kind of. I wonder if they took it out due to a certain lawsuit they lost. Were there any games that used its analog features, though?

The reason why it saddens me is because, when using the Classic Controller with the PC, I can program the analog L and R buttons to whatever I want, and, well, I kinda appreciate that.

Besides that... it'll be so much better for pushing L and R, now I don't need to depress the buttons down all the way for it to register as a button press, which annoyed me when I needed to quickly tap L or R.

wrowa

Why would you do that? said:
The lack of analog L and R saddens me, kind of. I wonder if they took it out due to a certain lawsuit they lost. Were there any games that used its analog features, though?
Fire Emblem used it. I was shocked as I realized that the shoulder buttons are analog :lol

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
HUELEN10 said:
As far as I'm concerned, Hori is NOT 3rd party.
5vq5he.jpg

Okay, I've seen the Hori Classic Controller (Wavebird-esque) before, but I've never seen the N64 design before.

Are those actual N64 controllers by Hori, or Wii CC-compatible N64 designs?

If the latter... I want one. I also want to know how they mapped the C buttons when the Wii N64 games feature entirely remapped controls.

cvxfreak

I just got mine too (black) and it's comfortable in a weird way. Definitely not used to how this controller feels in the hands.

Gonna give it a go with Biohazard 0 right now.

cvxfreak

Travado said:
Stupid noob question: does it work with GameCube games on Wii?

No.

Just spent 20 minutes with it for Biohazard 0, and the analog stick is unsuitable for moving the characters since it's even harder to turn them than it already was with the tank controls. Otherwise, the comfort's nice, I love the new shoulder buttons and the face buttons are great like with the previous model.

It's a shame that there is still a wire. It would have been so awesome wireless with a pointer device embarked. It would have make a shitty pointer, but having a wiimote attached to the CC is even worse. And if you buy a CC, that means that you want to invest in some sexy shit.

Do want though, it seems like a very nice improvement over the original CC, and it must be awesome for Monster Hunter.

Rolf NB

MarkMacD said:
It's got a nice shape but WAY too light and empty feeling imo. Maybe if you fill it with sand...
I'm shocked and appalled that even after a few years away from their exhaust pipes, you still haven't cleared Microsoft's Xbox PR messages out of your system. Light controllers are good. Less weight makes a controller more comfortable.

Rolf NB

anandxxx said:
That would be quite the reversal, since the original Classic was one of the worst.
It really isn't. The face buttons resist being pressed a little too much, but overall it's still decent.

There are basically two schools of controllers, and people have some trouble crossing over:
1)Grip it by the horns. These are meant to be held tight with firmly closed pinky/ring finger and sometimes middle finger. The palms/base of the thumb always touches the plastic. If you relax your thumbs, they'll both be pointing directly away from you, almost parallel to each other and parallel to the controller's top surface.

2)Free breathing. You balance them on just the tips of your pinkies and ring fingers but the rest your supporting fingers or even the palm don't touch the controller. Your wrists will be further away to the side and higher than the controller's base, and your relaxed thumbs will point inwards, coming down onto the surface only with the tips and first joints.

Prominent members of school 1 are the N64, Gamecube and Xbox pads. The DS tank feels like this, though it lacks the horns (you just grip it very firmly).
Prominent members of school 2 are the NES, SNES and Playstation pads and the Classic Controller, and probably this new one. The DSlite and PSP work like this as well.

If you treat a school 2 pad like a school 1 pad, dicomfort and cramps will be the certain result. That doesn't make them bad. You're just approaching them wrong.

Balb

The GameCube controller is best suited for SSBB...considering the game was made around that controller.

shuri

Banned
I still can't believe it's wired. For gods sake.. This went from 'instant-purchase' to 'not-interested'. What a total waste

OMG Aero

I would say I still prefer the GC controller to the Classic Pro but that's probably because I have always had an issue with the left analog stick being in the place it is on the classic controller and the dualshock.

Lothars

bcn-ron said:
I'm shocked and appalled that even after a few years away from their exhaust pipes, you still haven't cleared Microsoft's Xbox PR messages out of your system. Light controllers are good. Less weight makes a controller more comfortable.

I don't necessarily agree, there's nothing wrong with a light controller but myself I prefer a heavier controller.

I wish this worked with Gamecube games. I'll still probably order it anyway since I have a good amount of Wii games that play better with regular controls.

and none of the triggers are analog? how do some games work then? Some games I've played have two different functions between a full and half press.

shuri said:
I still can't believe it's wired. For gods sake.. This went from 'instant-purchase' to 'not-interested'. What a total waste

I'm sure someone from Nintendo would tell you it's wireless*

*if you don't include the wire that connects it to the wii remote

when nintendo gives you lemons, you make lemonaid...with duct tape.

Top Bottom