• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Classic Controller Pro Impressions... best Nintendo controller yet?

robot

JodyAnthony said:
how bad is it? like do the analog sticks and everything work properly? I might keep it if so, I only plan to use it for N64 games anyway. however if the whole thing is bad I'm requesting a refund as well.

The dpad sucks - at first I thought it was broken but I realized I needed to press down noticebly hard for it to work. Everything else seemed ok but I'll take a closer look tonight. Analogs felt fine based on the amount of time I tested them.

iz0zuh.jpg

Found a great price in a UK store on one of these bad boys and picked it up to compliment my black Wii :D (and so I can stop using the shitty gamecube pad!). Great controller but the smudging! THE SMUDGING :lol

Time to pickup Tatsunoko now that I can actually play it!

Yeah, thats correct. Dunno why they wouldnt phase the old one out as this is perfection in comparison. And just because I can, introducing the Kuro Family :D :

kcxnr7.jpg

andymcc

Banned
SecretBonusPoint said:
Its a downcast day here in the UK!

isn't it always though.

i love the classic controller pro, my girlfriend got me one for x-mas and it's a huge improvement over the vanilla cc. i've found it makes a world of difference with VC games.

sfried

I have a question: If I'm am not at all a fan of the Dual Shock design (especially with the way the shoulder buttons are set up), not to mention that I don't suffer at all from cramps on a prongless controller, would I be better off with the original Classic Controller?

What exactly is it that people hate about the original?

NinjaBoiX

2 Minutes Turkish said:
I've got all the black stuff now.

Wii, Classic Pro, Remote, Chuck, Motion Plus.

So hot.

Me too, x2 on the wiimote M+ & chuk and a black GC pad. My peripheral drawer is getting full!

sfried

I am sorry for bumping this thread, but I have a dilemma...

I caved and got myself a White Classic Controller Pro at Best Buy using a $5 discount just the day before Monster Hunter Tri came out (I still am not fond of the Dual Shock layout of the shoulder buttons, although I will admit it looks extra-nice matching my White Wii), thinking I would not get MH3 since I didn't feel I needed to play it now.

Passing buy one of the stores nearby on the day of release, apparently they had only one bundle left in-stock (not pre-order). I told them to hold it for me since I had a lot of gift cards I could use, an apparently it brings it down to about $30.

Now if I get the bundle, I'll end up with two CCPros. The only problem is that I have only one Wii-Remote right now. Should I return my White CCPro, reclaim my $5 coupon, and just wait untill the CCPro drops in price before buying one with the coupon again, or should I just keep it? I'm really trying to be super-fruggal, but I'm not sure if I'm taking my tactic way too far with the return, so I ask:

How likely will CCPros pricedrop within the year? Do you think I will still be able to find a new Original Classic Controller for a cheaper price?

WillyFive

sfried said:
How likely will CCPros pricedrop within the year? Do you think I will still be able to find a new Original Classic Controller for a cheaper price?

They are never going to drop price. They will stay at $19.99 for eternity, because it's hardware.

sfried

Willy105 said:
They are never going to drop price. They will stay at $19.99 for eternity, because it's hardware.
Okay, thanks for the advice. I'm keeping the white controller. Looks nice on my Wii anyway (no smudge marks). I guess it would be foolish of me to do something so brash (not to mention desperate).

I will admit...those handles feel like the GameCube's, only much, much more comfortable (the bottom especially). I still prefer the single file shoulder placement of the original. It feels so much lighter than the WaveBird (although that's probably not a fair comparison since the transmitter is on the Wii Remote).

Plus I've been thinking of inviting folks to play Dreamland 3 with me. Now I need to invest $50 on a Black remote w/ Motion+.

RobbieNick

I got mine with Monster Hunter 3. It feels so good, and is superior to the original classic controller pro. I love that the Z buttons are basically L2 R2 now. It fells a lot like a PS3 controller. Thank god they moved the wire back to the top instead of the bottom. What the hell were they thinking?

Poyunch

Too light for me personally. That's my only complaint (and really it's just nitpicking at most). I'm just used to my controllers having some weight.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Picked up a black one on Tuesday to match my recent black Remote+Motion Plus+Nunchuck upgrade. Feels damn nice. I think I prefer it to the standard Classic Controller, though I would have appreciated them not swapping the d-pad and left analog stick.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Got it. Love it. Buy this controller, so so much more comfortable than the standard CC. Feels more responsive too, and the handles fit right into the palms.

PounchEnvy said:
Too light for me personally. That's my only complaint (and really it's just nitpicking at most). I'm just used to my controllers having some weight.

Yeah. I guess the fact that the batteries and other components are still in the wii remote doesn't help the light weight of the CCPro, but I honestly don't mind it being light.

Eteric Rice

If they'd add the "click" that the 360 thumb pads have, and curve the ZR and ZL buttons down so they'll feel like triggers...

Then yes, best Nintendo controller ever. Hell, best controller ever.

KevinCow

Banned
I'm really disappointed in the d-pad on this thing. The original CC had one of the best d-pads ever. Why the drop in quality?

Baron

KevinCow said:
I'm really disappointed in the d-pad on this thing. The original CC had one of the best d-pads ever. Why the drop in quality?

Are you serious? the new d-pad is worse than the original classic controller? How could they fuck this up so royally? Can anyone else comment on this?

Eteric Rice

Baron said:
Are you serious? the new d-pad is worse than the original classic controller? How could they fuck this up so royally? Can anyone else comment on this?

It seems like the exact same d-pad. *shrugs*

My only complaint is the necessity of plugging it up to the wiimote. I know it's a limitation due to the way the wii was designed but still.. I can dream of a Classic Controller Pro Wavebird, can't I?

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
KevinCow said:
Yeah, it feels a bit stiffer that the old CC on mine, too. Maybe it just needs some breaking-in? I'm totally dumbfounded by the earlier comments of the d-pad being much better, as it stands.

Mejilan

D-pad doesn't really feel all that different to me. I think it just needs to be broken in a bit.

forrest

formerly nacire
manofmandango said:
My only complaint is the necessity of plugging it up to the wiimote. I know it's a limitation due to the way the wii was designed but still.. I can dream of a Classic Controller Pro Wavebird, can't I?

Couldn't you just navigate the Wii Dashboard with an analog stick? I haven't tried the ccpro yet and it looks quite comfy. I just can't for the life of me understand the tether to the wiimote.

KevinCow said:

Yeah I have to agree. Doing things like quarter circle motions on it is like doing them on the original DS d-pad. Maybe if they raised it up a bit.

sammy

what a winning design, and it's a charm to play MHTri with this badboy! One of the best controllers I've ever picked up, but still needs some breaking in for sure.

Not sure what to think of the L/R buttons, are any of these still analog like most modern controllers?? (like for racing titles etc.)
They feel nice as traditional click L/R buttons, but I haven't tried anything other than MH.

The whole thing just feels tight and sturdy, I've got a heavy hand so I need a durable one

Mejilan

nacire said:
Couldn't you just navigate the Wii Dashboard with an analog stick? I haven't tried the ccpro yet and it looks quite comfy. I just can't for the life of me understand the tether to the wiimote.

Still needs to be plugged in. As to the tether, that's because the CC and CCPro completely lack bluetooth and a battery. They have to connect to the Wiimote in order to piggyback on its technology for power and communications. It's what also keeps the costs down to $15-$20, instead of $60.

JWong

Banned
This just reminds me how pissed off I was with Xbox 360's controller NOT completely ripping off the letter button layout of SNES.

It was so confusing!

sfried

Extollere said:
Got it. Love it. Buy this controller, so so much more comfortable than the standard CC. Feels more responsive too, and the handles fit right into the palms.
I honestly do not understand this. I admit that the CCPro feels nice, but the original CC is shaped like an SNES controller. How could you go wrong with that? (Admittedly, I've never held the original CC. I wish I did before they started disappearing. Still not a fan of the Dual Shock setup.)

One of the main reasons I got a Classic Controller was for playing VC games. It's disappointing to hear the Pro's isn't as good as its predecessor's. I could only imagine it probably having the same clicky feel of a DSi's pad.

KevinCow said:

Someone who likes the CC's shitty D-Pad thinks the new one is bad.

New one is fantastic confirmed.

Mejilan said:
Still needs to be plugged in. As to the tether, that's because the CC and CCPro completely lack bluetooth and a battery. They have to connect to the Wiimote in order to piggyback on its technology for power and communications. It's what also keeps the costs down to $15-$20, instead of $60.
Wouldn't mind paying that for it if it had said features.

EDIT: To be fair I'd imagine the price being closer to the price of a dualshock 3.

EDIT EDIT: Yes I know it's 54.99 =P

Did they change the controller for the American release? Just from my import CC Pro, I'll say that if you think the original Classic Controller has a better d-pad, you're certifiably insane. I suggest you call an institution and check yourself in. Just make sure Nurse Ratched doesn't find out what you're in for or you best be expecting a lobotomy.

The CC Pro d-pad is fantastic

forrest

formerly nacire
Mejilan said:

Sorry I should have worded my post better. I understand technologically why it's tethered to the wii remote. I just don't particularly agree with the decision even in the vein of keeping the cost down. I would personally prefer to pay more for a battery powered, bluetooth enabled CC Pro. Just my preference though. :D

GOOD: Handles!

BAD: Lack of officially-unused clip things on the back means a third party device to keep the wiimote attached won't be so easy. Goodbye analog shoulders.

WEIRD: The GCN had a tiny Z button. The Classic Controller doubled it to two tiny Z buttons. Now the two Z buttons are larger than the standard L and R buttons.

Top Bottom