• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Internet Channel on Wii now free, Flash updated (refunds if you paid)

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Good news everyone!

Just got a message on the Wii,

- Opera Internet Channel on Wii is now free
- Flash version updated
- Refund if you paid, will get 500 points back only during October - December and you'll have to buy a NES game by the look of it.

- Australia only at this stage, let me know;

AWESOME DEAL FOR JAPAN HOWEVER

Starting October 21, Nintendo will add a couple of additional bonuses to the offer. Those who help 10 people will be labeled "Helper Master 10" and will gain free access to the full catalogue of Nintendo-branded Virtual Console Famicom software. Those who reach the 20 helped mark will be labeled "Helper Master 20" and will gain access to Nintendo's full first party catalogue of Virtual Console software for Famicom, Super Famicom, and Nintendo 64!

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/09/01/nintendo_pushes_internet_use/

opera1.jpg

opera2.jpg

opera3.jpg

opera4.jpg

source

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
First Wii Fit+ for 19 Bucks now this...what s goin on with Nintendo ? Seems like you can have toooo much money indeed.

Nice, even if i got mine free at launch :)

Awesome news. I've contemplated buying it many times, but ultimately couldn't justify shelling out for a browser with my computer 20 feet away. Thanks for the heads up.

vocab

Wow Refund, and Free? I'm actually kind of shocked. That was free money to localize Mother 3. Damn.

OnPoint

Just had a conversation with a friend the other day about how this costs money. Now he CAN download it.

cw_sasuke

btw.

Refund = 1 NES Game or 500 points on you account ?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oh wow, lots of cool Nintendo tidbits today.

(Except the lack of an actual black Wii, but it's coming dammit.)

cw_sasuke

Starting October 21, Nintendo will add a couple of additional bonuses to the offer. Those who help 10 people will be labeled "Helper Master 10" and will gain free access to the full catalogue of Nintendo-branded Virtual Console Famicom software. Those who reach the 20 helped mark will be labeled "Helper Master 20" and will gain access to Nintendo's full first party catalogue of Virtual Console software for Famicom, Super Famicom, and Nintendo 64!

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/09/01/nintendo_pushes_internet_use/

Japan only for now i guess - but still :eek:

Sye d'Burns

Bah! I haven't gotten that message or received a refund yet. Opera is still showing 500pts to gift for me as well. Is it a US update?

Woah, I bought it. I anticipate 500 points back! Nintendo didn't even have to refund the points, I wonder why they're doing it now.

Also, yay Flash! So much good, good news, from likely Shantae, Okami, and the other Capcom DS game, to Nintendo's news with colors and Wii Fit +, and now this!

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
holy shit, the first two things are cool, but I'm really amazed they're refunding everyone's money.

The Wii is... is actually printing out money

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Wait, what REGION is this in?

I ask as I just checked and there is no "updated software" notice in the Wii Shop channel.

Edit: Just saw the link... so this is only for Japanese systems at the moment? I assume we'll get the update for Opera shortly (perhaps when we get the Nintendo Channel update)... I can't image we'd get the VC deal, though.

VOOK

Region is Australia;

Adding pictures to the OP, can only use points on NES game.

Danthrax said:
holy shit, the first two things are cool, but I'm really amazed they're refunding everyone's money.

The Wii is... is actually printing out money

Lol the circle is now complete :lol

Awesome of Nintendo to do this, about time we got Flash 9 support! :D

Now Nintendo, finish off this fine day with a DSi Virtual Handheld service announcement! (With Mother 1, 2 on VC and Mother 3 on VH :D)

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Wait... "help 20 people get connected" and you get full, FREE access to ALL first party NES/SNES/N64 titles on Virtual Console???

Granted, pyramid schemes result in very few people reaching the top level, but still...

(This part is Japan only, it would seem.)

trinest

VOOK said:
Region is Australia;

Adding pictures to the OP, can only use points on NES game.
Explain so it dosn't go with your normal points instead it redirects you to a page you can download NES games as a "gift" ?

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/200..._internet_use/

HOLY MOTHER OF FUCK! IT'S LIKE FUCKING HEAVEN!!! (Too bad it'll probably never come out outside Japan, but hot damn, it's like mana from the heavens!)

Tenbatsu

What? FREE ACCESS to all Virtual Console software for Famicom, Super Famicom, and Nintendo 64 for helping 20 people??!?? Dam I need 16 more and I'm running out of time!

later said:
HELPING PEOPLE WITH WHAT??

Getting them to hook their Wiis up online. Nintendo have a special programme in Japan where those who help their friends get their Wiis connected to the Internet get free Wii points. This is just an extension of the same Japan only programme.

VOOK

Can a mod update the thread title with the Helper 10 and Helper 20 news?

This is all pretty cool news. I've only played GC, and Wii games on my Wii at the moment so I didn't realize that the VC on the Wii had grown this well. I'm going to the browser when it, becomes free, then I'll check, and see what kind of stuff the VC offers.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
News for people in the EU Region,

"if you downloaded the Opera Browser for 500 Points, down load this new update and Nintendo Promises to laugh at you and punch you in the balls"

I doubt anything as cool will happen to us in PAL land in regards to any of offers seeing as we are the red headed step children of Nintendo, and have been treated as such for a while now.

VOOK

jufonuk said:
News for people in the EU Region,

"if you downloaded the Opera Browser for 500 Points, down load this new update and Nintendo Promises to laugh at you and punch you in the balls"

I doubt anything as cool will happen to us in PAL land in regards to any of offers seeing as we are the red headed step children of Nintendo, and have been treated as such for a while now.

Dude did you read the OP? I'm in Australia but the message mentioned NOE... we're all in this together :p

jufonuk

not tag worthy
VOOK said:
Dude did you read the OP? I'm in Australia but the message mentioned NOE... we're all in this together :p

EDIT :I did read the OP,
Then we are all Red headed step Children, lets form a support group..brother, we are not Alone!!!!!
Together we are strong... Like the beaver!!

(my other post was not a troll, I just get fed up of the way Nintendo sometimes forgets about things)

ShinNL

Awesome, free NES game ;D (don't really surf much on the Wii anyway, it's next to my computer)

Now what game is recommended? I only have SMB:The Lost Levels. Is there a Mega Man 2?

semiregular

Neo Member
VOOK said:

Acutally for the "Helper Master 20", it's ALL VC software for Famicon, Super Famicon and N64, including third party ones.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/campaign/

Holyshit Nintendo. That's awesome. Now I just need to find 20 people to help. lol

semiregular

Neo Member
VOOK said:
Shit beans, thanks!

You sure? I can't read Japanese lol

Yep. It says "任天堂および任天堂以外のタイトルすべて"
Which means "All Nintendo and non-Nintendo titles" :)

DanteFox

so.... when it says "access to all of x vc software".... does that mean helper masters get unrestricted free downloads of said vc games? like, If someone's a helper master 20, they can download whatever vc games they want for free, without limit? I must be misunderstanding something. Either way, darn you japan! :lol

You always get the good stuff. :'(

semiregular

Neo Member
Another thing.

手助けマイスターになった時点で購入済みのソフトについては、Wiiフレンドに1度だけ無料でプレゼントすることができます。

If you're a help master and you've previously bought a VC title (that you can download for free in this new offer), you can give that title as a gift to somebody else once for free.

They think of everything.

Top Bottom