• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Internet Channel on Wii now free, Flash updated (refunds if you paid)

Darkky

How are they going to make money off their VC releases if everyone's just gonna find 20 people to help out and download the games for free? :X

Darkky said:
How are they going to make money off their VC releases if everyone's just gonna find 20 people to help out and download the games for free? :X

Because that's 20 more households (With multiple people in each) that Nintendo can sell their games to (Only the 1 person gets free games, not all of the others!)

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Darkky said:
Simple: if someone can only be helped once, then not even 5% of wii owners can get to the top. Yay pyramid schemes

HUELEN10

GaimeGuy said:
Simple: if someone can only be helped once, then not even 5% of wii owners can get to the top. Yay pyramid schemes
What if you take a Wii, and fully format one and remove shop channel info as well? Wouldn't that make it so you could get the 20 really easily? They need s safeguard for it. At the same time, they should let formatted and Shop Channel clean Wiis re-register, as what if someone bought a used one?

Hmm...

I wonder how they are gonna keep it accessible, yet still make it fair.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
That's really weird they're giving refunds for the browser. Nice though, but weird. I wonder what made them come to their senses?

That Japanese helper scheme sounds ludicrously tempting, moreso to the tech-savvy Wii owner who both knows how to set up their Wii for online play (and explain to others) and has an appreciation of all the back catalogue of NES, SNES and N64 games.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
CraigMcD said:
The update and refund offer is available in the UK as well. Just got the message.

Woo hoo , they actually Care about us , prehaps today is a good day to cry.

Tenbatsu

Netto-kun said:
I better find 20 people to help before this campaign runs out (if there's a limited time period for this one).:lol
You need a new JP Wii and the campaign will expire 30 days after you connect to the Shop Channel.

GaimeGuy said:
No, one person can be help a few of times.

For example:
A can help B C
B can help A C
C can help A B

= 3 person each can get 1000 Wii points

I tested before unless this campaign is different from the previous one.

My Wii code is 5224 5151 0255 9147

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Tenbatsu said:

For example:
A can help B C
B can help A C
C can help A B

haha, what. That's ridiculous if they allow that :lol

Tenbatsu said:
You need a new JP Wii and the campaign will expire 30 days after you connect to the Shop Channel.

For example:
A can help B C
B can help A C
C can help A B

That's practically a free giveaway. Nintendo must be getting sick of having too much money.

semiregular

Neo Member
Tenbatsu said:
For example:
A can help B C
B can help A C
C can help A B

Hm... I don't think so. I think you can only be helped once, but both the one who was helped and the one who helped can earn 500 points. You got 1000 points because you got both the points for helping and being helped (500+500 points)

Tenbatsu said:

For example:
A can help B C
B can help A C
C can help A B

I'm pretty sure that if A helps B, then A can no longer be helped by B.

Also, B can't be helped by both A and C... just one.

You'd have to work pretty hard to actually get 20 of these things.

plank

Just in time for the internet on my Wii to not be working. Good job in letting me know about this now. :(

Tenbatsu

AndriaSang said:
I'm pretty sure that if A helps B, then A can no longer be helped by B.

Also, B can't be helped by both A and C... just one.

You'd have to work pretty hard to actually get 20 of these things.
Shit now I look at my above example, I think its a bad one.

This is better.

A - B = Each get 500
B - C = Each get 500 so B got 1000 now
C - A = Each get 500 so A and C got 1000 now

Btw I go by this route

A - B = Each get 500
A - C = Each get 500 so A got 1000 now
B - C = Each get 500 so B and C got 1000 now

Magypsy23 said:
How economically viable is it to buy 20 Wii consoles and sell them as used? :lol
It may be more viable to buy used Wii consoles and hope they've never been connected online. Buying new Wii consoles seem to be asking for a loss on every Wii (but will getting every FC, SFC and N64 game for free chancel that loss out?*).

Anyway, with this Internet Channel update one thing I don't get is why the refund (in the form of a NES download ticket) will take over a month (the message says from late October). I'm sure if they just gave you 500 Wii points it would be a lot quicker.

Apparently the new Internet Channel is over 300 blocks so buy another fridge...

*-Using todays figures and ignoring the existence of expensive games (e.g. Zelda OOT being 1200 points):
FC: 126 * ¥500 = 63,000¥+
SFC: 63 * ¥800 = 50,400¥+
N64: 16 * ¥1000 = 16,000¥+
Total: 129400¥+

So basically if you're losing more than 6470¥ per Wii then it isn't worth bothering. Of course, this makes the assumption that you would actually buy the entire Wii Shop anyway. Another assumption is only one Wii is able to benefit. If more than one can benefit this could work out nicely.

upandaway

Japan got grand screwed.

They won't have time to brush their teeth. All VC games from Nintendo platforms! That's insane!
Sure, there are a couple bad ones, but who cares. You've got hundreds of games at your fingertips for free. It's like you suddenly supported piracy except it's legal and reinforced.

And one question, is your Wii status saved as 'connected' even if you formatted it? And if not, is it saved if you formatted it using homebrew or non-professional means?
Who saves that status? Nintendo or the Wii itself? Because that could be a major loophole.

weeman_com

Neo Member
This update is available in Europe and this info i got from the help guide

Opera 9 for Wii - Third-Party information
The opera browser includes the Zlib compression library
The opera browser includes software developed by the OpenSSL project
The opera browser contains cryptographic software
This product contains Adobe Flash Lite player (then appears the logo for Flash Lite 3)

ZAK

Still not sure why I'd want to use a console browser.

This helper thing blows my mind though. It's like I'm dreaming or something, even though it doesn't really affect me.

swerve

Stink said:
Let's talk about this - is it flash v9? Is iPlayer smooth now?

Up to and including Flash 8. Haven't been able to try iPlayer. YouTube works great but YouTube XL is jerky as hell.

swerve

Tenbatsu said:
Shit now I look at my above example, I think its a bad one.

This is better.

A - B = Each get 500
B - C = Each get 500 so B got 1000 now
C - A = Each get 500 so A and C got 1000 now

It can't be that easy. There's a video presentation from Iwata on Wii.com/jp and he says that, as of last week:

46 people have helped over 10 people to become Master 10

Of those, 5 people have become Master 20.

Five.

He says any people you've helped thus far will count towards your total.

Source: http://wii.com/jp/movies/internet-channel2/

He also says that over 80,000 different households (over 240,000 individual users) have used Wii no ma in the four months since it began. I'm not sure if he's proud of that number or not but I guess those are pretty good viewing figures for a non-broadcast channel, featuring 10 minute programs, on a games console.

swerve

weeman_com said:
BBCiPlayer no longer works!

Upgrades are great! :/

I can browse it, though. Is it just the streaming part that's busted for you? I'm out of the UK so I'm IP blocked.

weeman_com

Neo Member
swerve said:
Upgrades are great! :/

I can browse it, though. Is it just the streaming part that's busted for you? I'm out of the UK so I'm IP blocked.

Yup, i cant stream video from it, browsing is fine, when i goto watch a video it doesnt load.
And im in Northern Ireland, so i should be receiving the service, I pay my TV license :lol

D.Lo

Okay, so I have a Japanese Wii. How do I find 20 people to 'help'?

Also, I don't speak Japanese.

uh, by access are you sure they mean you get free downloads? I would think they just meant they allow you to buy whatever game you want instead of waiting for releases.

edit: never mind, I can't read. Awesome deal.

Olorin

Nice! I just checked my Wii Message Board and saw the notice about the browser. Too bad I'll have to wait till the end of October for my free NES game.

birdchili

iPlayer news isn't very reassuring, but that wii browser is the crappiest piece of software i ever loved. any improvement in the video-playing abilities (which it the main function of a tv-browser anyway) is most welcome.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Ramenman said:
DO YOU WANT ME TO HELP ???

:lol

This is awesome, Nintendo. Bring the help master program to the US. We'd probably just get stinking badges or something for our trouble, though.

Tenbatsu

swerve said:
It can't be that easy. There's a video presentation from Iwata on Wii.com/jp and he says that, as of last week:

46 people have helped over 10 people to become Master 10

Of those, 5 people have become Master 20.

Five.
But I got 1500 FREE points just by helping 2 friends and 1 gaffer. And my 2 friends helped each other plus me and they got 1000 too.

Its actually not simple. You got to find 20 new JP Wii owners within 30 days and all of them must not be connected to the Shop Channel for more than 30 days.

D.Lo said:
Okay, so I have a Japanese Wii. How do I find 20 people to 'help'?

Also, I don't speak Japanese.
Is your JP Wii new? You have only 30 days to participate in this campaign if your Wii is connected to the Shop Channel.

birdchili said:
iPlayer news isn't very reassuring, but that wii browser is the crappiest piece of software i ever loved. any improvement in the video-playing abilities (which it the main function of a tv-browser anyway) is most welcome.
they probably forgot to tell the bbc they updated the browser, i'd expect it to get fixed in the next few weeks probably with better quality videos

birdchili

frankie_baby said:
they probably forgot to tell the bbc they updated the browser, i'd expect it to get fixed in the next few weeks probably with better quality videos
surely true. still...

perhaps they'll fix the nintendo channel streaming next?

free nes game though... hrmmm...

swerve

Tenbatsu said:
You have only 30 days to participate in this campaign if your Wii is connected to the Shop Channel.

It makes no difference how old my Wii is or how long it's been connected. I have to connect 20 other people over the lifetime of this campaign (which is not 30 days, it's indefinite and includes anyone you helped since March when the 500 point campaign began).

There's nothing about connecting 20 people in the space of 30 days in the news release or the Iwata video.

cw_sasuke said:
So online is important after all ? :lol

They said online wasn't important to the games. Not the systems, or the marketing ;)

Right now online is crucial to the success of their TV channel, their direct marketing channel, and their downloadable games service.

Top Bottom