• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DSi titles are region locked!

t3nmilez

Well, there was plenty of speculation about whether or not it would happen, but I can confirm it!

I just bought the new iDOLM@STER DS game, which uses the camera so you can take pictures of QR-codes and unlock new outfits and content. I tried putting it in my American DSi and the game refuses to register, it says that nothing is inserted in the slot. I then put it into my Japanese DSi and it ran fine. I also tried it on my American DSlite, and it also ran no problem on that.

I guess that we can safely say that games with DSi-specific features and full DSi titles will be region locked in the future. What a pain...

beje

Banned
Welcome to 8 months ago

Protip: it comes clearly explained in the console package. I bet the manual talks about it as well

mrklaw

MrArseFace
beje said:
Welcome to 8 months ago

Protip: it comes clearly explained in the console package

no it wasn't. there is enough ambiguity, combined with Nintendo's previous region-free stance on carts, to make people think it was just the DSi store they were talking about.

region coded carts is a big surprise, and its fucked up.

duckroll

Wait, so for DSi-enhanced titles, they run find on normal DS machines regardless of region, but are regionlocked for DSi machines? WOW! :lol

So while Sony and MS are being progressive with regard to region coding in the console space, Nintendo are being regressive in the handheld space. Worst market leader ever.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
duckroll said:
Wait, so for DSi-enhanced titles, they run find on normal DS machines regardless of region, but are regionlocked for DSi machines? WOW! :lol

Came here to post this.

Gravijah

Gokurakumaru said:
So while Sony and MS are being progressive with regard to region coding in the console space, Nintendo are being regressive in the handheld space. Worst market leader ever.

What about Atari?

Kuran

Banned
Gokurakumaru said:

MS is being progressive? It is only Sony that is being progressive in this regard.

That was expected. Still sucks, but it doesn't bother me that much since I don't expect any major DSi exclusives and I'll just play whatever DSi-enhanced games there are on my DSL.
I do hope the homebrew scene will find a way around this when DSi-exclusives somehow become the future, though.

duckroll

Nintendo is so backward ass it's not even funny. NoA is the best though, they've taken going backwards to a whole new level. Refusing to release completely localized Wii games and leaving them in Europe instead = LOLZ.

SmokyDave

Hmmm. This does not please me.

Oh well, someone will crack the firmware/region encryption now that there is a reason to.

Gravijah

duckroll said:
Nintendo is so backward ass it's not even funny. NoA is the best though, they've taken going backwards to a whole new level. Refusing to release completely localized Wii games and leaving them in Europe instead = LOLZ.

Americans deserve punishment for not buying games that weren't released here.

hirokazu

t3nmilez said:
Well, there was plenty of speculation about whether or not it would happen, but I can confirm it!

I just bought the new iDOLM@STER DS game, which uses the camera so you can take pictures of QR-codes and unlock new outfits and content. I tried putting it in my American DSi and the game refuses to register, it says that nothing is inserted in the slot. I then put it into my Japanese DSi and it ran fine. I also tried it on my American DSlite, and it also ran no problem on that.

I guess that we can safely say that games with DSi-specific features and full DSi titles will be region locked in the future. What a pain...
Uh, I don't know why everyone is taking that region-locked assumption at face value based on what you described.

Mainly the fact that it says Nothing is inserted. Have you double checked? Take out the cart and put it back in? Tried other games on that DSi? Because it sounds more like a read error, one would assume for titles that really are region-locked, they'd make it display a message stating this exactly this, would they not?

I say need further confirmation on this one.

t3nmilez

hirokazu said:
Uh, I don't know why everyone is taking that region-locked assumption at face value based on what you described.

Mainly the fact that it says Nothing is inserted. Have you double checked? Take out the cart and put it back in? Tried other games on that DSi? Because it sounds more like a read error, one would assume for titles that really are region-locked, they'd make it display a message stating this exactly this, would they not?

I say need further confirmation on this one.

No problems with other games running on my American DSi, never had any problems before this. I reinserted the card several times, with the system both on and off. The card clicks in fine. Hell, at first I was worried that I got a bad game, but when it worked on my other systems I started to realize what was going on. I highly doubt that it's some consistence that Idolmaster just happens to be the first game that has DSi-enhanced features too.

Tempy said:
Expected, but crap anyway.

I hate regioning :-(

Why should it be expected that a handheld would be region locked? There has never been a handheld with region-locked games before... I don't think there was reason to expect Nintendo was going to start now... until they announced the DS, that is, when it became clear what they were doing.

... Save us, homebrew, indeed. :(

duckroll

A Black Falcon said:
Why should it be expected that a handheld would be region locked? There has never been a handheld with region-locked games before... I don't think there was reason to expect Nintendo was going to start now... until they announced the DS, that is, when it became clear what they were doing.

... Save us, homebrew, indeed. :(

It's "expected" because of the wording used in the manual. And knowing Nintendo, if they can fuck something up for consumers, they will. Just because.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Shit. That sucks. Especially that bit about DSi-enhanced games running fine on any regular DS. Doesn't make any sense. Oh well, one more reason to keep my DS Phat alongside my DSi I guess.

Gokurakumaru said:
Worst market leader ever.

And here comes the hyperbole.

batbeg

Kilrogg said:
And here comes the hyperbole.

I don't know man, I'm a pretty big Nintendo fanboy and I think Nintendo repeatedly demonstrate themselves as asshole market leaders. Whether it be the 8-bit, 16-bit, or current generation.

Kuran said:
MS is being progressive? It is only Sony that is being progressive in this regard.
well, MS started the whole multiregion thing with the original Xbox. it was, and still is, a publisher's option, but it was better than what existed before, even though it has since been eclipsed by the PS3 being region free.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Android18a said:
Please tell me my copy of Soul Silver will work on my PAL DSi. It's not a DSi cart, is it?

Soul Silver isnt a DSi or DSi enhanced game...so it will work fine.

HUELEN10

It's been known for ages, but it's nice that the news has finally hit the mainstream, or at least will shortly. I am praying for something like geckOS to hit the DSi, just so I can play my imports! It's only a matter of time before a DSi Exclusive Card must-have comes out, and I hope that with a little homebrew, we can be ready for it!

Minus region-locking though, I LOVE my DSi.
SecretBonusPoint said:
Looks like I'll never get a chance to play Shantae DSi, because I aint ever owning a region locked fucking handheld.
All it takes is 1 good game or 1 sweet deal...

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
batbeg said:
I don't know man, I'm a pretty big Nintendo fanboy and I think Nintendo repeatedly demonstrate themselves as asshole market leaders. Whether it be the 8-bit, 16-bit, or current generation.

I'm European. I'm used to manufacturers and publishers treating us like shit. In that regard, Nintendo is no worse than their competition. Most importantly, as far as content goes, I find myself happier with games on Nintendo platforms. The only exception to that being the Playstation 1, which I loved (it helps that I didn't care for the N64 at all, but still, the PS1 was awesome).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
so does this mean we should all keep a spare DS lite about the house? Or maybe just trade down from the DSi?

Nintendo do want us to start buying their overpriced refresh, right?

HUELEN10

Hmm, now this may be a ridiculous longshot OP, but it worked on Wii for a while, so I want you to try this for me.

Take an american DS card and your DSi-enhanced idolmaster card. Insert the DS card and press A to boot up the game, but SWAP THE CARD RIGHT AFTERWARDS VERY QUICKLY!

What happens?

Shito

Kilrogg said:
I'm European. I'm used to manufacturers and publishers treating us like shit. In that regard, Nintendo is no worse than their competition. Most importantly, as far as content goes, I find myself happier with games on Nintendo platforms. The only exception to that being the Playstation 1, which I loved (it helps that I didn't care for the N64 at all, but still, the PS1 was awesome).
I'm European. I'm used to manufacturers and publishers treating us like shit. In that regard, I thank Sony for finally getting rid of this region-locking bullshit, and I shake a comforting and reassuring "well it's a good start" hand with Microsoft. Nintendo can rot in hell for all I care.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Shito said:
I'm European. I'm used to manufacturers and publishers treating us like shit. In that regard, I thank Sony for finally getting rid of this region-locking bullshit, and I shake a comforting and reassuring "well it's a good start" hand with Microsoft. Nintendo can rot in hell for all I care.

See, this is where there is a misunderstanding. If we're looking at region-locking policies, yeah, Nintendo is the worst of the 3. But my initial comment, and everything that followed, was about manufacturers and their policies as a whole, and how what they did affected us consumers, not just their stances on region-locking. That's why I think that this "worst leader ever" comment is hyperbole, especially from the point of view of Europeans like ourselves, who used to be treated far worse than the US. Now, if you have to deal with Nintendo of America on the other hand, I understand your pain :p.

t3nmilez

HUELEN10 said:
Hmm, now this may be a ridiculous longshot OP, but it worked on Wii for a while, so I want you to try this for me.

Take an american DS card and your DSi-enhanced idolmaster card. Insert the DS card and press A to boot up the game, but SWAP THE CARD RIGHT AFTERWARDS VERY QUICKLY!

What happens?

Told me that an error occurred and to turn off the system. I can't possibly change carts fast enough in the small time period between hitting "A" and the game starting up.

duckroll

Kilrogg said:
See, this is where there is a misunderstanding. If we're looking at region-locking policies, yeah, Nintendo is the worst of the 3. But my initial comment, and everything that followed, was about manufacturers and their policies as a whole, and how what they did affected us consumers, not just their stances on region-locking. That's why I think that this "worst leader ever" comment is hyperbole, especially from the point of view of Europeans like ourselves, who used to be treated far worse than the US. Now, if you have to deal with Nintendo of America on the other hand, I understand your pain :p.

- Region locking portable sytems
- Friend codes
- Shit online infrastructure
- Retarded storage "solutions"

Yeah, I would say "worst leader ever" is just about right for Nintendo right now if you judge their overall policy and business direction in terms of being consumer friendly. :p

Top Bottom