• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New EGM crew: Dan Hsu, Demian Linn, Ryan O'Donnell, Matt Chandronait, Area 5...

Zen said:
So... Co-OP is dead?

No, as has been stated many times they will be doing this in addition to all of the stuff they are currently doing (random videos for people like Turn 10, the 1UP "Live Update" show and of course CO-OP for Revision 3).

Flavius

beelzebozo said:
i would give anything for a GAME PLAYERS revival.

get chris slate, bill donahue, francesca reyes, jeff lundrigan, frank o'connor, mike salmon, patrick baggata. . . holy christ, i would give anything. ANYTHING. the magazine was so damn funny, insightful, and just totally full of awesome. this was my EGM, in that it was the game magazine i latched onto and really grew up with.

11l5v1x.jpg

i used to freakin' RUN to the mailbox to get this thing. i miss it terribly.

Great, great magazine.

A lot of those folks moved over to ODCM, which is why that was one was another one of my favorites...though it, sadly, only made it around 8 issues or so before the writing was on the wall for poor DC.

Charla went off and, I think, headed up that studio that did the Death Jr. game, Salmon, Frankie and Francesca went over to OXM (with Salmon as EIC)...

I know way too much about those folks, but considering they were putting together my favorite magazines at a time when I could actually pour over them like I used to, I guess it makes (somewhat disturbing ;)) sense.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Flavius said:
Great, great magazine.

A lot of those folks moved over to ODCM, which is why that was one was another one of my favorites...though it, sadly, only made it around 8 issues or so before the writing was on the wall for poor DC.

Charla went off and, I think, headed up that studio that did the Death Jr. game, Salmon, Frankie and Francesca went over to OXM (with Salmon as EIC)...

I know way too much about those folks, but considering they were putting together my favorite magazines at a time when I could actually pour over them like I used to, I guess it makes (somewhat disturbing ;)) sense.

it's weird, gameplayers.com is just a blank page.

almost like someone is holding it, waiting for the day when the stars will align and gazuga will return to smite the earth with a curse.

beelzebozo said:
it's weird, gameplayers.com is just a blank page.

almost like someone is holding it, waiting for the day when the stars will align and gazuga will return to smite the earth with a curse.

Oh man, I loved that magazine. Same with Next Generation. I remember Mike Salmon was always compared to someone, but I can't remember who it was. Also, Crazy Bill Donahue was the best, those jaded gamer sections always cracked me up :lol

Flavius

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
Oh man, I loved that magazine. Same with Next Generation. I remember Mike Salmon was always compared to someone, but I can't remember who it was. Also, Crazy Bill Donahue was the best, those jaded gamer sections always cracked me up :lol

Lorenzo Lamas, right?

From that fantastic Renegade tv show?

womp

Blueblur1 said:
You're an ass. Go to Hell.

If it means anything, I canceled Maxim.

:D

In all seriousness, knowing that Steve Harris is backing this has me excited. I was there when EGM was born and I hope it can be good again.

I'm praying for a bit of Next Generation style writing while keeping the old school EGM in place.

Schrade

Zen said:
So... Co-OP is dead?
No way.

If anything this is a major boon for Co-Op because if they are associated with EGM, they will have better access to preview code for games.

nocode

Wow, so EGM really is coming back. That was a weird 1 year hiatus. I also look forward to the possibility of the CO OP guys getting access to preview code. That is all the show has been missing.

cuyahoga said:
Quote:
Bitmob.com
50K visits, 150K pageviews
Founded by industry veteran Dan Hsu, Bitmob is an intersection between the gaming press and gaming enthusiasts.

There's no way Bitmob could be a profitable operation with those numbers. I'm guessing this is why Bitmob guys were so eager to go with EGM.

The Bitmob traffic numbers quoted on that Gamejobcentral.com page were WAY off. Somehow they just copy and pasted the info from Elecplay.com and used that for ours :( they've since been removed.

-Demian

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
FYI I'm the one responsible for that page on GameJobCentral.com - the site is one of my projects.

I can confirm that the Bitmob traffic stats aren't accurate - they were reported as that size by mistake, and it should be pretty clear to those paying attention that Bitmob.com is reaching more people than that.

It's happening. It's really happening:D

Relaunch this March

source: http://www.egmnow.com/press/time-warner-retail-egm.html

December 18, 2009 - Beverly Hills, CA – EGM Media LLC, publisher of leading independent video game magazine "Electronic Gaming Monthly," announced today that it has entered into an agreement with Time/Warner Retail Sales & Marketing to handle newsstand marketing and sales for the title when it returns to bookstores, newsstands, and other retailers in March 2010.

“Time Warner Retail is the preeminent player in the single-copy field so it should be no surprise that we have selected them to represent the print version of the publication,” said Steve Harris, publisher of Electronic Gaming Monthly and president of EGM Media, LLC. “The fact Time/Warner Retail’s relationship with the title goes back nearly twenty years made this an easy decision and one that will immediately benefit our efforts.”

“We’re thrilled to once again be representing one of the leading titles in its category,” said Mike Bogas, Senior Marketing Manager of Time/Warner Retail Sales & Marketing. “Electronic Gaming Monthly is a brand that is synonymous with the gaming field and one that has consistently performed well for us in the past. The new changes that EGM is making to integrate print and digital will only enhance the product further.”

The new print version of Electronic Gaming Monthly includes a special code included in each newsstand copy that upgrades each reader’s access to the new weekly interactive version of the magazine. This enhanced version of the digital publication, called EGM: The Digital Magazine contains exclusive article extensions and original content throughout each issue.

"With our new weekly digital format, and the premium enhancement that newsstand purchasers will receive, we're changing the value proposition in a new and meaningful way," explained Harris. "Not only does the digital companion allow us to offer additional content that is complementary to the print magazine, but it also gives us a way to communicate with our readers and update the print product in an ongoing manner."

This first issue of the new print edition of Electronic Gaming Monthly will carry an April cover and include a special cover story continuing the EGM tradition of highlighting the best games of the year. The premier issue of the re-launch will also boast game previews, a new Review Crew featuring the return of Sushi-X, and commentary from a host of columnists including EGM personalities such as Quartermann, Dan “Shoe” Hsu, Sean “Seanbaby” Reiley, and many others.

GodfatherX said:
when it was announced Harris had bought the rights I thought there was zero chance that EGM would come back in true fashion but damn this is about as close as you can get. while not my favorite period in gaming, 06-07 was by far the best 2 years in gaming journalism as a fan mainly due to 1up
My thoughts exactly. There was NO point in calling it EGM without some of the old crew. It would be just a sad rehash for a once great name otherwise. That said, seeking fresh energetic talent to round out the roster should be a focus.

The key will be finding a "new way." They have the right people to potentially make that happen -- 1UP gave birth to the videogame podcast and video show as we know it. Now how can they turn around and change print? John Davison is up to something good at GamePro and I am watching that closely. GI is changing a bit, too. I've recently had to ditch my Edge sub and it looks like there might actually be a US mag worth my money. But not quite yet.

Should be an interesting new year in print...

Blueblur1

Oh man, how has it been without EGM? Almost a year, right? The thought of sitting down and reading a new EGM is kind of exciting. I hope they really do improve upon the last iteration of the magazine though. I was not a fan of their condescending letters section and their terrible page layouts and design.

And as for Seanbaby... Really!? Does anyone even care about some clown that wastes two pages by making of fun of terrible games that don't even deserve the attention? I rather have Hsu & Chan. At least that strip is clever.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Has there been any news of the "last" issue ever coming out?

David Ellis was talking about leaking the pdf, but he's just been waiting for Harris to do something with it before going that route.

Kibbles

So they are just releasing the old issue they didn't get to release? Looks like I'll skip out for that one...

Pachinko

The lost issue is probably just their first online bonus content, go buy the new issue of EGM on newstands in a month or so and get a code to read the "last" issue of EGM from 2009.

Rlan

"10 things you don't know about Halo Wars", maybe they should change it to "10 things you not know about Halo Wars" :)

RavenFox

Banned
Blueblur1 said:
You're an ass. Go to Hell.
Took that a bit to serious didn't you?

EGM was MY mag and THE mag for years, until they started going downhill with their silly comments and yeah 'subtle' trollin. I await to see what this new collaboration brings to the table.

Dammit, when EGM died before, they said they were going to release it online then. I wanted to print it out and bind it myself and then bring it with me to PAX to get some of the guys signatures (whoever happened to be there).

Top Bottom