• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New EGM crew: Dan Hsu, Demian Linn, Ryan O'Donnell, Matt Chandronait, Area 5...

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider

Rlan

SEAN “SEANBABY” REILEY RE-JOINS EGM

Former EGM Columnist Brings His Unique Brand Of Humor and Insight Back To
Electronic Gaming Monthly and EGM: The Digital Magazine

December 4, 2009 - Beverly Hills, CA –Sean Reiley, better known by the nickname “Seanbaby”, has entered into an agreement to rejoin Electronic Gaming Monthly magazine and bring his infamous column “Rest of the Crap” back to the print and digital pages of the new EGM.

“It’s great to have Seanbaby adding his special perspective to the magazine,” said Steve Harris, Publisher of the new Electronic Gaming Monthly. “Fans of his humorous commentary have asked me about his return to the pages of EGM since the first day I acquired the rights. Seanbaby provides a very different angle on the gaming community and its one that I’m pleased to see return to the pages of both our print and digital versions.”

In addition to contributing to both EGM and the 1UP’s popular “Broken Pixels” program, Seanbaby has also written for the comedy show “The Adventures of Chico and Guapo” on MTV and the online humor magazine Cracked. He also maintains the website that bears his moniker www.SeanBaby.com.

“It’s great to return to EGM,” Seanbaby said. “Although the games they make me play are legally considered torture by the Geneva Convention. In fact, I think ‘That's So Raven 2: Supernatural Style’ for the Gameboy Advance is now on the cover of most of their torture documents.”

The EGM interactive interface will let us build upon the Seanbaby’s past contributions in new ways that include video, audio, and other extensions,” continued Harris. “His involvement is just the first of many high-profile contributions from past writers and personalities that will soon be announced.

SickBoy

J-Rzez said:
I bought a few for the covers actually. Best in the business no doubt. Their message in their reviews are no better than anyone else, it's just fancied up.

I believe the phrase you're looking for is "well-written." :p

Seriously, the value in Edge isn't in the reviews, and if that's where your interest lies, you'll get something that's written well, but that you ultimately provides you with information you'll be able to get on the internet. (And while I don't read a lot of reviews, Eurogamer seems to do a pretty good job of them). Although, I think the monthly EDGE Thread of Whining (TM) is a little ridiculous.

Where it shines is consistently good features (that go beyond just your typical long-form previews). Edge isn't perfect, and I'd say the last few issues have been a little weaker than usual, but it's a great magazine.

As for the EGM reboot, first off, can we call it EGM3?

Second, I suppose it's good that they're courting the old audience by bringing back familiar names, but hopefully they find a way to make it something better than "it's EGM again."

Also, Seanbaby, ick. (what I really mean is "ha ha Phil Collins", amirite?)

This shit is almost too good to be true. I know we haven't seen a single issue yet, but damn, Steve Harris is getting massive amounts of respect from me right now. He is not fucking around. Really cool so far.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i would give anything for a GAME PLAYERS revival.

get chris slate, bill donahue, francesca reyes, jeff lundrigan, frank o'connor, mike salmon, patrick baggata. . . holy christ, i would give anything. ANYTHING. the magazine was so damn funny, insightful, and just totally full of awesome. this was my EGM, in that it was the game magazine i latched onto and really grew up with.

11l5v1x.jpg

i used to freakin' RUN to the mailbox to get this thing. i miss it terribly.

Alphahawk

beelzebozo said:

get chris slate, bill donahue, francesca reyes, jeff lundrigan, frank o'connor, mike salmon, patrick baggata. . . holy christ, i would give anything. ANYTHING. the magazine was so damn funny, insightful, and just totally full of awesome. this was my EGM, in that it was the game magazine i latched onto and really grew up with.

11l5v1x.jpg

PSM used to have francesca and Jeff on it's staff, I used to love that magazine, I picked it up a couple times at a bookstore (after it morphed into PS3M and then again when it became the "official" Playstation magazine) and I barely even recognized it.

Also while we're talking about dissapointing Magazines does anyone remember Game Buyer that was the Post-Ultra Gameplayers that staffed most of the former editors of the aforementioned mag. That may of been the worst peice of shit I've ever read gaming wise.

GDGF

Soothsayer
beelzebozo said:

http://i50.tinypic.com/11l5v1x.jpg[IMG]

i used to freakin' RUN to the mailbox to get this thing. i miss it terribly.[/QUOTE]

Oh fuck yes! And not that Ultra Game Players crap either.

Chris Slate is EIC at Nintendo Power now (which is why I think that magazine has been on fire lately)

Twig

Banned
thetrin said:
No score, more talk should be the policy of anyone who considers themselves a worthy gaming journalist. The problem is, morons and metacritic addicts (also known as morons) dictate those policies, not them.

Integrity in gaming journalism is damn close to stillborn. :\
Wait what the fuck do scores have to do with integrity?

I seriously don't get the problem with putting a score on a review. Almost all movie critics do it. "3 out of 4 Stars," "Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down," "See it, Rent it, Skip It," etc. It's wrong to think that just because a review has a 'score' on it, it some how is instantly pandering to the lowest common denominator and invalidates the written review.

Calcaneus

CartridgeBlower said:
I seriously don't get the problem with putting a score on a review. Almost all movie critics do it. "3 out of 4 Stars," "Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down," "See it, Rent it, Skip It," etc. It's wrong to think that just because a review has a 'score' on it, it some how is instantly pandering to the lowest common denominator and invalidates the written review.
Its not the scores themselves, its what they've become in the gaming world. People focus way to much on them, and care very little about the reasoning behind the review. I wouldn't say that new EGM should not use scores, but there is a good argument for doing away with them.

God, somebody needs to bring games down to a sensible ratings system. 4 or 5 stars work fine for movies, and they're a lot less open to stupid bitching than scores out of 100 or 10.

big_z

beelzebozo said:

/http://i50.tinypic.com/11l5v1x.jpg

gameplayers and ultragameplayers was far better than EGM. i still have about 20-30 issues that i go back and read on the can on the odd occasion. it's surprising that i still find secret text and stuff in the magazine that i never noticed before.

i would give my first born for the magazine to be revived with the same staff.

aidan said:
Whatever happened to Bill Donahue? Is he still in the industry?

he was working for the official playstation magazine but im not sure what he's doing now. not sure if his band is still going either, i lost the url.

this site keeps track of the gang.
http://trenchmania.com/gameplayers/

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
TheGreatDave said:
God, somebody needs to bring games down to a sensible ratings system. 4 or 5 stars work fine for movies, and they're a lot less open to stupid bitching than scores out of 100 or 10.
yep, five points (no halves or anything like that) says plenty. most sites/magazines use what amounts to a five-point scale anyway.

daegan

I so wish I had kept all my old Game Players/UGPs and EGMs... I'm so nostalgic for Street Fighter coverage and Bomberman references now :(

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The Giant Bomb method of 5 stars, no half points is the best. It's clear, no bullshit, and no "What, a 92, it clearly deserves a 94 at least."

beelzebozo said:

http://i50.tinypic.com/11l5v1x.jpg

Man, talk about bringing back memories. I still have my Bill/Bison mask lying around somewhere. Game Players circa 95/96 was just so off-the-wall it was crazy.

Most of these guys just disappeared though, huh? Did any of them end up at IGN or something?

beelzebozo said:

11l5v1x.jpg

Wow, that brings me back. I remember Bill Donahue having some sort of column of fictional short stories about random things, like how it would be impossible to drive a car from a 3rd person perspective in real life and real men drove from 1st person in racing games. Hilarious stuff.

Cheetos is Pretty Awesome said:
Man, talk about bringing back memories. I still have my Bill/Bison mask lying around somewhere. Game Players circa 95/96 was just so off-the-wall it was crazy.

Most of these guys just disappeared though, huh? Did any of them end up at IGN or something?

I have fond memories of Game Players, too. For some reason, the most vivid one is of Bill holding a Nerf gun to Chris's head (maybe it was the other way around) and saying, "I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six foam darts or only five? Well, to tell the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track of myself. But being this is the Nerf N-Strike Vulcan EBF-25 Dart Blaster, the fastest Nerf gun in the world, you have to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well - do ya?! Punk?!"

Yeah, that's kind of random shit my memory retains.

MC Safety

Rlan said:
Well honestly, BitMob is MEANT to be community driven, and not especialy driven by the Hsu himself. They're meant to find the most interesting stuff people write and have it get to the main page. Sort of like Gamasutra'a development blogs. It's meant to be self sustaining.

1) It's meant to be a wellspring of unpaid labor.

That is all.

GDGF

Soothsayer
DimmuBurgerKing said:
I have fond memories of Game Players, too. For some reason, the most vivid one is of Bill holding a Nerf gun to Chris's head (maybe it was the other way around) and saying, "I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six foam darts or only five? Well, to tell the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track of myself. But being this is the Nerf N-Strike Vulcan EBF-25 Dart Blaster, the fastest Nerf gun in the world, you have to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well - do ya?! Punk?!"

Yeah, that's kind of random shit my memory retains.

:lol I remember that. Well, not in that detail, but I do remember.

OnPoint

Sinatar said:
The Giant Bomb method of 5 stars, no half points is the best. It's clear, no bullshit, and no "What, a 92, it clearly deserves a 94 at least."

Eh... I find the five star rating to be constricting when reviewing, personally, but it's better than going out of 100... somewhere between five and ten is preferred, so long as the ratings are clearly defined.

Malfunky

OnPoint said:
Eh... I find the five star rating to be constricting when reviewing, personally, but it's better than going out of 100... somewhere between five and ten is preferred, so long as the ratings are clearly defined.

I think it's only constricting when you focus primarily on the numerical score. IMO, with the sort of ambiguity the 5 point scale offers, you rely less on the score to tell you about the game, giving the actual article more influence.

Then again, I've never been a fan of scores all together.

OnPoint

Malfunky said:
I think it's only constricting when you focus primarily on the numerical score. IMO, with the sort of ambiguity the 5 point scale offers, you rely less on the score to tell you about the game, giving the actual article more influence.

Then again, I've never been a fan of scores all together.

I like the idea or no scores myself, so I'm with you on that. But just like the "How do you tell the difference between a 67 and a 68" problem, you sometimes run into games that aren't quite a 4 star, but are too good to be a 3 star. We're trying a new scale on my website... and I'm not sure how well it's going to work, but so far it's better than using the 5 star ratings like we did. I think we may eventually make the jump to no scores though.

Haunted

interesting.... was pretty happy with Area5 and co-op, hope they can keep the same quality under the new umbrella.

edit: I see some Sony fans still haven't forgiven Dan Hsu for pointing out Gears of War's flaws in the first half of his review.

Gravijah

I figured this would be the best place to ask instead of making a new thread, and if it has been linked already, feel free to yell at me... But yeah, isn't there an online resource of old scanned video game magazines? I love looking through old review scores, articles, previews, etc and I'm tired of reading the same EGMs 50 times over. :lol

womp

Awesome...Can't wait for my free subscription to kick back in before it's 2013 expiration.

Let the good times roll!

Top Bottom