• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New EGM crew: Dan Hsu, Demian Linn, Ryan O'Donnell, Matt Chandronait, Area 5...

Calcaneus

CartridgeBlower said:
Needs more Crispin. Only THEN will it be the true revival of EGM.

But it is coming pretty damn close...kinda getting excited.
Crispin was probably my favorite EGM editor, it would be totally awesome if he came back on.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
bernardobri said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol

As long Area 5 goes with their same video-show model (especially on NO score, more TALK), I'm fine.

No score, more talk should be the policy of anyone who considers themselves a worthy gaming journalist. The problem is, morons and metacritic addicts (also known as morons) dictate those policies, not them.

Integrity in gaming journalism is damn close to stillborn. :\

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Pfft. Unless they bring back Sushi X I want no part.

dLMN8R

The Co-op guys deserve it more than anyone else I read or listen to in games. So many congratulations to you all! At PAX, it seemed like you were struggling a bit, so I hope this gives you the significant bump you need to keep making the show :D

when it was announced Harris had bought the rights I thought there was zero chance that EGM would come back in true fashion but damn this is about as close as you can get. while not my favorite period in gaming, 06-07 was by far the best 2 years in gaming journalism as a fan mainly due to 1up

adelante said:
no CRISPIN?!? We need his office-antics to fill up a spread in the magazine! DECAPITATO!!

HAHAHA! Fuck yes! I totally forgot about DECAPITO :lol
Decapito... E-Sak... man those were the days :D

Really hoping that Crispin returns as well. He was my favorite.

Fuck all the haters, I love EGM, totally jazzed about this revival :D

Scarecrow

How can this work? It's like people stubbornly sticking with their horse and carraige instead of getting one of them fancy motor buggys.

I'll still give it a shot. Good luck guys.

tino

Banned
Shoe "shoe" Shoe always tells the same story, I am not looking forward to their podcast.

Unless they get on the Apple tablet electronic magazine bandwagon, paper publishing doesn't have a lot of breathing room.

dejan

j4784j35.png

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
they have my subscription. these guys are great.

i hope they continue what was started at 1up, focusing on cultivating unique critical voices and personalities; it's a shift from what i once expected from criticism, but in the case of this set of people, the person comes first, and the game commentary comes second. in other words, i show up and stick with the magazine/podcast/video show because i like shoe or ryan or matt or mike or demian or whoever, not because of any particular review i want to read or thing i want to hear them praise. i wonder if they'll look into podcasts and all that extended media, considering how involved they all are in their own side projects (bitmob, area 5, etc)

congratulations to everyone. i only wish that shane and garnett had some interest, but i wish them all the best as well.

Zen

Banned
...So does this mean Co-Op is dead? or will it just be rolled into EGM while being a shared product with Revision 3.

Actually that sounds like what might happen.

I give credit to EGM for getting me interested in imported video games way back in the day. I've collected this magazine since its beginning all the way to the early 2000s. Then I stopped collecting because the internet was so quick with the information there was no need to buy the printed issues. I'm hoping the rebirth will offer some material that would be very hard to resist in buying the printed version ( i.e. Retro Gamer ) We'll see...

To celebrite the return of EGM. I salute the original Review crew. I ran into former Editor and Chief - Ed Semrad and Martin Alessi at the Turbo Technologies booth during the Winter Consumer Electronics Show 1993:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaUL80jsX6Y
egm.jpg

Belfast

I'm glad the boat is being steered by familiar hands, but at the same time, I was kind of hoping for more new blood. Finding a decent job in the industry is already tough enough for the relative unknowns out there, without the big names always taking the spotlight.

I'm very happy for the Area5 TV guys. From reading their blog and listening to them on podcast, they were not making a lot of money and still provided us with the weekly show. So congrats on the new old gig and hopefully it pans out better this time than last time.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Belfast said:
I'm glad the boat is being steered by familiar hands, but at the same time, I was kind of hoping for more new blood. Finding a decent job in the industry is already tough enough for the relative unknowns out there, without the big names always taking the spotlight.

so did you apply?

Flavius

Getting better all the time...

Can't wait. Uhhhhh...when is launch and when can we subscribe?

Strike while the iron's hot, and all that!

Belfast

beelzebozo said:
so did you apply?

No. I was originally planning on doing so, but I wouldn't have been able to make it out to the Bay Area in the time they probably would've preferred me to. If it was kicking off next Summer, it would be quite a bit easier for me.

And if they're looking for staff at that time for one reason or another, I might consider it.

I guess my point is that there are probably a lot of highly qualified people out there beyond the old EGM/1UP staff, and since most of them have gone on to work on their own pet projects, I would've preferred that the magazine give a hand up to the large swath of capable "games journalists" who are stuck wallowing on second or third tier sites suffering from a lack of opportunities.

I figure that familiar names could push the magazine with gamers who know EGM (probably means jack shit to the average consumer), but even they had to start somewhere back in the day, right?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Belfast said:
I figure that familiar names could push the magazine with gamers who know EGM (probably means jack shit to the average consumer), but even they had to start somewhere back in the day, right?

definitely. but i have to think that economics and built-in fanbase have something to do with the decision to try and get back some of the old staff; i mean, look at what i wrote above about having instant confidence that these guys can turn out great content. it's EGM, so of course to me it makes sense that shoe would be someone you would want to get if you could, because shoe, in a lot of ways, is synonymous with EGM. all these guys are. new talent should absolutely be looked into and incorporated gradually, as it's always been, but starting fresh from the ground up would make the whole proposition of starting the magazine again pretty daunting, and as i said, wouldn't exactly instill a lot of confidence in its ability to succeed and stay afloat. new people can be brought on, and just like when a good friend of mine introduces me to someone who gets their seal of approval, it's easier to be enthusiastic about a new editorial voice when someone you trust is there to give them the okay.

anyway, i'm excited to see the mag come back.

Flavius

Methinks you doth presume a bit too much.

No offense, but why would you have a press release announcing "Hey, Here's a Bunch of Folks None of You Know a Fucking Thing About!"

Doesn't mean they're not going to be there.

Banned
Excellent. All bodes well for a good mag, good luck to all involved!

So does this mean Area 5 & Bitmob are no more? Does this mean Ryan & Matt will now sit BEHIND the production wall and not get their heads on camera all the time? And STOP ACTING! Mmmm, that'd be nice.

Flavius

Bitmob did a press release at the same time as the EGM announcement. They're not going anywhere.

Reading the follow-up, I don't think you have to worry about Area 5, either.

Owensboro

Hells yes! I can't believe EGM is going to come back from the dead!

OnPoint said:
They have my money for one year of issues at least. Here's hoping the magazine is good enough to require a re-sub.

My thoughts exactly. Let me know where to sign up for a sub EGM, and you have one more subscriber for a year at least.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Flavius said:
Bitmob did a press release at the same time as the EGM announcement. They're not going anywhere.

Reading the follow-up, I don't think you have to worry about Area 5, either.
I'm guessing this is why Bitmob guys were so eager to go with EGM.
Bitmob.com
50K visits, 150K pageviews
Founded by industry veteran Dan Hsu, Bitmob is an intersection between the gaming press and gaming enthusiasts.
There's no way Bitmob could be a profitable operation with those numbers.

andycapps

Chimed in on the Area 5 thread, but not sure which will get closed first.. so anyway. Good news for all concerned. And yeah, I'll definitely buy a subscription this time to throw in my support. I hope that they can make it though and I don't waste my money. PS, they need to talk to Giant Bomb and figure out how they've been so profitable there.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'd say this is nice, but I don't see exactly what'll make this succeed where the previous iteration failed. I suppose we'll have to wait and see, and I hope for the best, I'm just not as optimistic.

Shurs

andycapps said:
Chimed in on the Area 5 thread, but not sure which will get closed first.. so anyway. Good news for all concerned. And yeah, I'll definitely buy a subscription this time to throw in my support. I hope that they can make it though and I don't waste my money. PS, they need to talk to Giant Bomb and figure out how they've been so profitable there.

Giant Bomb churns out a lot of great content for having such a small crew. Bitmob's staff is around the same size, yet they can barely manage to produce enough, in my eyes at least, must-see content. One of the many bad business decisions that Ziff made regarding 1up was keeping such a large, bloated staff. Today 1up is operating with a lot less people than they were before the sale to Hearst and they are still churning out quite a bit of content.

I fear that EGM might not have learned from the failures of its predecessors and may be over-staffing. Giant Bomb works because they are efficient. I'd go so far as to say that they were prolific in the amount of quality content they were releasing during E3.

Top Bottom