• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Game of the Year 2009 - Voting Thread (READ THE RULES)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continuing the tradition... GAF votes on the best games of 2009!

Since we're using a new system this year, PLEASE READ THE RULES. It's a simple system, but since it's a change from last year I will try to be as specific as possible. If you have any questions feel free to post them or PM me (the faster option), I'll answer them as soon as possible.

* 2009 VOTING RULES *
  1. Each voter gets ten (10) points total to award to their nominated games. You don't have to "spend" all of these points, but you can't go over the limit.
  2. Points can only be awarded using non-negative whole numbers only (no decimals or negative numbers are allowed).
  3. No more than five (5) points can be assigned to an individual game in your ballot.
  4. The voting will run from the time of this posting to January 3rd, 2010 at midnight PST.

Voting Format
The format of your ballot should look like this: Game Name - # of points assigned

Example Ballot #1
Game A - 5
Game B - 3
Game C: The Sequel - 1
Game D - 1

Example Ballot #2
Game E - 5
Game F - 5

Example Ballot #3
Game E
Game F

Note that example ballots #2 and #3 will be counted in the same way, but this only works for ballots containing one or two games. (see Additional Notes and Clarifications for more on this)

Additional Notes and Clarifications
  • In keeping with the rules, you can vote for anywhere from one to ten games.
  • If you have only one or two games you'd like to nominate, you can simply list them and they will receive 5 points each.
  • If you vote for more than two games and you , I am not going to bother "figuring out" how you wanted them to receive points, and will simply give the first two games listed 5 points each. The rest will receive nothing.
  • Do not post any box arts, screenshots, etc. in your posts, please. It only makes it harder on me when counting votes.
  • Some of you like to write a little bit of text about your nominated games. That's fine with me, but please do what you can to make it easier for me to find your points through the use of bold, or separating your blurbs from your ballots.

What Games Count
  • New games released to your region this year (can be retail only or downloadable).
  • Remakes and visible upgrades count too.
  • Revisions and ports released for the first time on a console or handheld this year (must be a retail version and not downloadable).
  • New expansion packs to MMOs and other games count, but not the original game unless it too was released in your region this year.

Regions
  • If you’re outside NA and voting for a game that came out in NA last year, then please list which country or continent you are from. Otherwise I will assume you didn't read the rules and I will not count your votes.
  • You can list import games.

(!!!) Wait, why isn't AniHawk doing it this year? I liked AniHawk's system better.
AniHawk stated last year that 2008 was the last time he would be doing the GAF Game of the Year Awards. He's also said that he feels this is a good chance for there to be some experimentation with the process. That said, some of the rules used here, especially in the "What Games Count" and "Regions" sections, come from his work last year.

So that's what's happening here. Hopefully you'll like this system as well. Any feedback is welcome, just PM me. On that note, I'd like to recognize and give huge thanks to AniHawk for the amazing work he's done over the past five years with this.

* RE: VOTING DEADLINE *
Something that I've noticed from years past is people wishing that they had a little more time to play games they got for the holiday. To try and address this issue, but still keep the awards to a reasonable timeframe, I have pushed the voting end date to January 3rd instead of December 31st, giving three more days. I am willing to push the voting end date to January 9th at midnight, if there is enough interest. If you would prefer the later voting deadline, please send me a PM. If I get, say, 50-100 people requesting a push in the deadline, I will do so and it will be reflected in this thread.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Batman: Arkham Asylum - 3
Trials HD - 2
Street Fighter 4 - 2
Shadow Complex - 1
Plants vs. Zombies - 1
Torchlight - 1

Am I doing this right? It seems kinda complex. :|

Uncharted 2 - 5
Batman: Arkham Asylum - 3
Demon's Souls - 2

While I would have liked to distribute the points more evenly among my top games this year, Uncharted 2 just blows everything else out of the water, and it deserves the full 5 points.

Sidzed2

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - 4

Batman: Arkham Asylum - 4

Assassin's Creed II - 1

New Super Mario Bros Wii - 1

Majmun

Uncharted 2 - 3
Demon's Souls - 2
NSMBwii - 2
Infamous - 1
Flower - 1
Batman Arkham Asylum - 1

Good luck with voting.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - 1
Batman: Arkham Asylum - 1
Killzone 2 - 1
InFamous - 1
Braid (PS3) - 1
Flower - 1
Demon's Souls - 1
Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time - 1
PixelJunk Shooter - 1
Battlefield 1943 - 1

edit:
timetokill said:
[*]Revisions and ports released for the first time on a console or handheld this year (must be a retail version and not downloadable).

Wait, does this mean Braid for PS3 can't be in? I don't get it.

Lince

Banned
Killzone 2 - 4 points
Uncharted 2 - 3 points
Infamous - 2 points
Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time - 1 point

kadotsu

Banned
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - 3
Infamous - 3
Ratchet & Clank ACiT - 2
Torchlight - 1
New Super Mario Bros Wii - 1

blanky

Halo ODST - 2
Forza Motorsport 3 - 2
Battlefield 1943 - 2
GTA4 Ballad of Gay Tony - 2
GTA4 The Lost and Damned - 2

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Resident Evil 5 - 2
Assassin's Creed II - 2
Borderlands - 2
Batman: Arkham Asylum - 1
Street Fighter IV - 1
Halo 3: ODST - 1
Forza Motorsport 3 - 1

ZZMitch

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves- 2
Plants vs Zombies- 2
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2- 1
Halo: ODST- 1
Borderlands- 1
Left 4 Dead 2- 1
Pokemon Platinum- 1
Halo Wars- 1

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Trials HD - 2
Forza Motorsport 3 - 2
Batman: Arkham Asylum - 2
Little King's Story - 2
Uncharted 2 - 1
Noby Noby Boy - 1

edit- changed my mind already :lol

Proc

Dragon Age Origins - 4
Uncharted 2 - 2
Batman Arkham Asylum - 1
Left4Dead 2 - 1
NHL 10 - 1
Torchlight - 1

edit: wrote batman twice and it tripped me out

TheFallen

Batman: Arkham Asylum - 4
Dragon Age: Origins - 4
Borderlands - 2

Which I was done with 2009's games. I have Assassin's Creed II and Uncharted 2 still waiting in my backlog :(

tass0

Banned
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - 5
Batman Arkham Asylum - 2
Killzone 2 - 1
Street Fighter 4 - 1
Resident Evil 5 - 1

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves| 5 points
Assassin's Creed II| 2 points
New Super Mario Bros. Wii| 1 point
Resident Evil 5| 1 point
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2| 1 point