• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else becoming a big fan of level 5?

ksamedi

I've been noticing something lately. A lot of my most anticipated games are from Level 5. They've already made the excellent Professor Layton series and I enjoyed both (EU) releases a lot. They are also known for their work on DQ which is one of my favorite series.

Their upcoming games consist of (not every game they're developing is listed)

Ushiro
Ninokinu
Inazuma Eleven (EU) and the sequel
Professor Layton 3 (4, 5, 6) with London Life
Fantasy Life

I don't know if all titles will land in Europe but I'm optimistic and I'm pretty psyched for all of these titles. They're also the developers of White Knight Chronicles (and part 2) but thats probably one game I'm not that excited about. I'm still not sure about Carboard Senki.

I have a feeling that Level 5 as a publisher is growing rapidly and is going to give us a lot of gaming joy in the coming years. Anyone else becoming a fan?

Aru

Big fan ?

Not sure. I loved Dark Chronicle, Rogue Galaxy was good but lacked something and Jeanne d'Arc was a solid SRPG.

I wanna try Inazuma Eleven and WKC, but I'm seriously not hyped for their other games.

Bernbaum

I'm getting a lot of fun out of Rogue Galaxy, despite the dislike it gets, and the Layton games are just plain adorable.

Part of the appeal is Tomohito Nishiura's excellent soundtracking for both.

jakershaker said:
Bring back Dark Cloud!

And to add:

Dark Cloud - Awesome
Jeanne d'Arc - Awesome
Professor Layton - Awesome

How could you not be a fan?

Only bad part about Level 5 is that my DS is now constantly occupied by the wife playing Layton.

Interested in Ninokuni and Inazuma Eleven. Also can't wait to see what they do with DQ X :D

How good is Dark Cloud btw? Story, gameplay, etc.?

Bernbaum said:
I'm getting a lot of fun out of Rogue Galaxy, despite the dislike it gets, and the Layton games are just plain adorable.

Part of the appeal is Tomohito Nishiura's excellent soundtracking for both.

I replayed DC2 recently, and I have no idea why people love that one and not RG :) I really like that game a lot (well I really like Level 5 games).

Anyway, is any of those games actually confirmed (except Layton) for Western release? They look awesome but so far it's more of a case of good looking games I'll never be able to play :-(

Majmun

The new PSP game Ushiro sounds interesting. And I want them to make another DQ game again.

And yeah, I want Dark Cloud 3 so bad.

I've loved them since Dark Cloud, DQVIII was also excellent and so was Jeanne D'arc. I didn't like Rogue Galaxy, but 3 out of 4 isn't bad :)

ksamedi

Flachmatuch said:
I replayed DC2 recently, and I have no idea why people love that one and not RG :) I really like that game a lot (well I really like Level 5 games).

Anyway, is any of those games actually confirmed (except Layton) for Western release? They look awesome but so far it's more of a case of good looking games I'll never be able to play :-(

Inazuma Eleven and Layton are set, not so sure about the others but if (the very Japanese) Inazuma Eleven makes it to EU I'm pretty optimistic for the rest as well.

Rolf NB

I like their UIs. Everything's fast, easy, clear. Few clicks/layers let you to do what you want. You can skip everything you think you should be able to skip. "Nice" sums their games up perfectly.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
They're quickly replacing Square-Enix as the company to go to for high quality JRPGs and quirky puzzle games! I can't wait for Ninokuni!

I like the premise of most of their projects, but I can hardly become a fan of games that are not yet released in Europe/NA (or Japan for that matter).
Layton is great, though. And Jeanne d Arc was okay. Rogue Galaxy was meh. I liked Dark Cloud, too. And they definitely did their part in making DQ VIII (and IX) the awesome games that they are, but I will not give them to much credit for it for obvious reasons.

So, yeah...I'm still not really positive about Level 5, but I like where they are going.

ksamedi said:
Izuma Eleven and Layton are set, not so sure about the others but if (the very Japanese) Izuma Eleven makes it to EU I'm pretty optimistic for the rest as well.

Oh didn't really know about Inazuma, but it's only the second game that's coming, no? I'm most interested in Ninokuni though (doh), I'd buy that for a high price. I love L5 anyway, their RPGs are always my favourites, I hope they release them all here :-D I'm even looking forward to WKC and Inazuma (despite not caring about football at all) :-/

slaughterking said:
I like the premise of most of their projects, but I can hardly become a fan of games that are not yet released in Europe/NA (or Japan for that matter).
Layton is great, though. And Jeanne d Arc was okay. Rogue Galaxy was meh. I liked Dark Cloud, too. And they definitely did their part in making DQ VIII (and IX) the awesome games that they are, but I will not give them to much credit for it for obvious reasons.

So, yeah...I'm still not really positive about Level 5, but I like where they are going.

Well exactly, they're getting better and better all the time.

madara

I love them. I just finished Rogue Galaxy, where I spent an extra two weeks doing everything possible to make it not end! For all the whining RG and Dark Clouds get I would be first in line for a sequel to either. I love them.

Ushiro seems to have disappeared
White Knight Chronicles took 'em 14 months to localize and i still have to import it to play it
In short - no.

Brofist

Been a fan since Dark Cloud. The Layton series of games are about the only games I've played for my DS for in the last year.

shuyin_

Banned
They make great games. However, they're one of the worst, shittiest companies when it comes to localization. Waiting between 1-2 years for DS games is annoying.
On the other hand, you guys in America have NOA so i guess L5 isn't the worst ... :D

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I liked Dark Cloud back in the day, and Dragon Quest VIII was great, but I can't say I've been a fan of their later original RPGs. Jeanne D'arc was okay but nothing really special. Rogue Galaxy was awful (the original Japanese release at least) and White Knight Chronicles was pretty much garbage as well in my opinion. I do like the Layton games, though.

They need to get rid of Tomohito Nishiura and find a good composer. The music for Dark Cloud 2 and Professor Layton made me want to hurt myself. Not to mention every track sounds exactly the same.

ksamedi

shuyin_ said:
They make great games. However, they're one of the worst, shittiest companies when it comes to localization. Waiting between 1-2 years for DS games is annoying.
On the other hand, you guys in America have NOA so i guess L5 isn't the worst ... :D

I think the problem is that they don't have a publishing arm outside of Japan yet so they have to make deals with other publishers. This probably delays the process.

MDSLKTR

I'm more interested in WKC than in FF13. I also wouldn't mind if they make a jeanne d'arc sequel, i wasted way too much time on that game.

imtehman

Banned
RurouniZel said:
They're quickly replacing Square-Enix as the company to go to for high quality JRPGs and quirky puzzle games! I can't wait for Ninokuni!

This has to be a joke post right?

mutsu

If you are talking about games that they develop and publish themselves:

I have played all 4 games in the Layton series.
Played Inazuma Eleven 1 (which I thought was a hit-and-miss).
Eagerly awaiting for Ninokuni and Ushiro.

If talking about games they develop, then I am not too sure. While I liked DQ8 and DQ9, I thought it wasn't as good as they could be if they were developed by someone else.

Maybe I'd be a fan if they released more of their games outside Japan. That said I'm not a big fan of jRPG and I don't like Layton. So no I'm not a fan of Level 5 at all, but it's good to see a new japanese company doing great games and new IP.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
imtehman said:
This has to be a joke post right?

Nope, not in the slightest. :) I can't wait for Ninokuni, WKC, Layton and Inazuma 11. I also can't wait to see how they handle Dragon Quest X, they did a great job with VIII and IX.

lucablight said:
They need to get rid of Tomohito Nishiura and find a good composer. The music for Dark Cloud 2 and Professor Layton made me want to hurt myself. Not to mention every track sounds exactly the same.

Your soul, where is it?

batbeg

Cardboard Senki is all I'm really looking forward to. I'm interested in Nikonuki and Fantasy Life, but they'll probably fall into the generic, dull gameplay that I recognize Level 5 for - serviceable, but nothing extraordinary.

Jigsaw

Banned
i didnt like dc1 at all,but dc2 was just great...a bit overwhelming in terms of content but once you get the hang of it you can spend months with it....too bad my launch ps3 ylod and i lost my savegames,i probably will never finish it

havnt played rogue galaxy yet,but finally ordered jeanne darc last week (after giving up hoping it would still be released in europe,lol)

looking forward to white knight and ushiro

ReyBrujo

Their games are the only ones I really look forward to right now, so yes. I guessed that Layton would be huge (during my few weeks at TheSimExchange I bought as much stock from Layton when everyone expected the first part to sell less than 2m worldwide), Inazuma was a real blast, and DQIX looks like awesome.

DQ VIII, DC 1-2, Rogue Galaxy. Yeah, definitely a fan. Don't really like the Professor Layton series that much, but I still love them.

Is it confirmed they'll be doing DQX?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Sure, their only game I didn't like at all so far is Rogue Galaxy. I liked Dark Cloud and its sequel, Jeanne D'Arc, the 2 Layton games, and I want to try Inazuma Eleven. I have a PS3 and have no interest in White Knight after Rogue Galaxy. I really hope they hit Ni no Kuni out of the park though, it's one of my most anticipated games right now. I hope it does really well in Japan too.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I like Level-5, even if some of their ideas are a bit... bad. I enjoyed Rogue Galaxy and most of WKC though, so I guess I'm the odd one out.

Been a fan since Dark cloud, then I fell in love with them all over again with the layton series.

Can't fucking wait for white knight chronicles.

Top Bottom