• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late Night Wars - Conan's last Tonight Show was TONIGHT a long time ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Gio_CoD said:
Is it really that hard for the Internet to understand that normal people don't find Conan funny? If they did, he'd still have his show. This isn't Jay's fault. NBC is fucking him a little bit because they didn't exactly give him a real shot, but the low ratings falls on Conan and only Conan.

So true :(

If Conan goes to Fox to compete against a Leno/Letterman combo, he will be completely massacred & annihilated.

Blader5489 said:
HE ISN'T GOING ANYWHERE. He didn't even say he was quitting in the damn letter!

I know you guys like to think of Jay Leno as the devil, but his career will be irreparably fucked if he goes back to the Tonight Show and forces Conan out. His nice guy image will be shot to hell. There's no way that's going to happen.

Woah. Chillax Ms. Leno. What I was asking is when is Conan hosting "The Tonight Show" for the last time. Read the "DAMN LETTER!" again and it says that he is quitting as host for Tonight Show but he is NOT leaving NBC and is hoping the matter is resolved with NBC soon.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Ferrio said:
More? Just look at the whole David Letterman shenanigans when carson left.

Holy shit, I was JUSt saying this to a friend.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
shagg_187 said:
Woah. Chillax Ms. Leno. What I was asking is when is Conan hosting "The Tonight Show" for the last time. Read the "DAMN LETTER!" again and it says that he is quitting as host for Tonight Show but he is NOT leaving NBC and is hoping the matter is resolved with NBC soon.

:lol

Blader

shagg_187 said:

sigh

shagg_187 said:
I think you need to reread the letter.

thetrin said:
Holy shit, I was JUSt saying this to a friend.
It's about time someone picked up on the subtle similarities between what's happening with Jay and Conan and what happened with Jay and Letterman. I applaud your perceptiveness.

jmdajr

Conan O'Brien suggested in a statement Tuesday that he will not accept NBC's proposal to move him and "The Tonight Show," which he's hosted for seven months, to 12:05 a.m. -cnn

Guy Legend

shagg_187 said:
conan_facepalm.jpg

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
shagg_187 said:

Know why Conan didn't come right out and say he is leaving? Because he is waiting for NBC to pull the plug. My guess is that his legal counsel let him know that if he quits, he loses the rest of his contract. If he's fired, he doesn't.

Blader

Kano On The Phone said:
It's about time someone picked up on the subtle similarities between what's happening with Jay and Conan and what happened with Jay and Letterman. I applaud your perceptiveness.

Hey, give him a break. He is from Planet Scrub after all.

Fletcher

I remember reading that NBC moving the time slot is a breach of Conan's contract, and would be forced to pay him if he decided to not do it? Is that true?

WedgeX

Banned
Conan's willing to force NBC to cut him loose in order to save the Tonight Show as it exists. Leno, thus far, has spoken only of NBC vs. himself.

Therefore, Conan cares more the Tonight Show than Leno does. And is more awesome for it.

Plinko said:
Know why Conan didn't come right out and say he is leaving? Because he is waiting for NBC to pull the plug. My guess is that his legal counsel let him know that if he quits, he loses the rest of his contract. If he's fired, he doesn't.

Alright. Makes sense.

To those with facepalms, please explain what is happening beside stating the fact that I should rereading the letter, cause from what I've read (and according to the thread title and spokesperson and every other media), Conan is not willing to host The Tonight Show if the timeslot is moved. Am I right?

ATF487

shagg_187 said:
Alright. Makes sense.

To those with facepalms, please explain what is happening beside stating the fact that I should rereading the letter, cause from what I've read (and according to the thread title and spokesperson and every other media), Conan is not willing to host The Tonight Show if the timeslot is moved. Am I right?

Yes, but he isn't quitting

He's saying, "I'm not going to let you move my timeslot, so either get rid of Leno's show or get rid of me."

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Kano On The Phone said:

o...kay. I'm not sure why you're being a cockmaster about this. I was just surprised that in a matter of 5 minutes, he said essentially the same thing.

shagg_187 said:
Alright. Makes sense.

How can you type a correct statement and still not understand it?

thetrin said:
o...kay. I'm not sure why you're being a cockmaster about this. I was just surprised that in a matter of 5 minutes, he said essentially the same thing.
You're surprised that someone else said the same thing that literally everyone who's following this story has already said?

Fletcher

shagg_187 said:
Alright. Makes sense.

Conan is saying that he is going to be professional and continue the job he and NBC both agreed upon. But the moment that Jay's show is on at 11:30, The Tonight Show with Conan as host is no more. He's giving them an ultimatum.

Jubs

Conan should bring the Masturbating Bear out of retirement and give him a good 5 minutes of air-time.

Do it Conan. Do it.

shagg_187 said:
Alright. Makes sense.

Correct. However, that hasn't happened yet. Until it does, Conan is still the host of the Tonight Show.

C4Lukins

shagg_187 said:
Alright. Makes sense.

The thread title is wrong as of right now. You are correct that Conan is not willing to host The Tonight Show if the timeslot is moved, but the whole Jay to 11:35 thing has never been concrete either. That is just what NBC has put as an option on the table. It has been reported both that NBC would be in breach of Conan's contract if they moved his timeslot and the opposite so we really do not know. I think a legal battle of some sort would have to happen to work that out. As of right now we just do not know, and Conan's letter is not specific enough to draw the conclusion that he quit nor that he is leaving, just that he is unwilling to have the Tonight Show change timeslots. Past that everything is speculation that seems to lead more in that direction that he will be leaving, but that is not 100% right now.

Jubs said:
Conan should bring the Masturbating Bear out of retirement and give him a good 5 minutes of air-time.

Do it Conan. Do it.

5 minutes? That's going to be Conan's entire last show. He's not even going to appear himself, it's just going to be the masturbating beat jerking it for an hour. They're still going to have guests but those guests are just going to have to sit and watch the bear masturbate.

thetrin

Kano On The Phone said:
You're surprised that someone else said the same thing that literally everyone who's following this story has already said?

I don't know that many people that have who's following this story that has already said it. Maybe you know smarter/older/less forgetful people? Must be nice.

Fletcher

Jubs said:

Do it Conan. Do it.

How awesome would it be if Conan, fully aware that he is only going to be doing the show for a month or two more, totally mutilates the time slot for Leno? Would never happen, as Conan wants to ensure his future professionally, but a guy can dream.

HylianTom

Banned
Jubs said:

Do it Conan. Do it.

I'd like to see the Toilet Robot as well. And bring Joel and Toshi back too. :lol

e89a4e4e7a6d525c171c0938b6ed8ac9.jpg

thetrin said:
I don't know that many people that have who's following this story that has already said it. Maybe you know smarter/older/less forgetful people? Must be nice.
It was 17 years ago. They made a movie about it. No one's referencing the Dead Sea Scrolls here.

C4Lukins said:
The thread title is wrong as of right now. You are correct that Conan is not willing to host The Tonight Show if the timeslot is moved, but the whole Jay to 11:35 thing has never been concrete either. That is just what NBC has put as an option on the table. It has been reported both that NBC would be in breach of Conan's contract if they moved his timeslot and the opposite so we really do not know. I think a legal battle of some sort would have to happen to work that out. As of right now we just do not know, and Conan's letter is not specific enough to draw the conclusion that he quit nor that he is leaving, just that he is unwilling to have the Tonight Show change timeslots. Past that everything is speculation that seems to lead more in that direction that he will be leaving, but that is not 100% right now.
Fletcher said:
Conan is saying that he is going to be professional and continue the job he and NBC both agreed upon. But the moment that Jay's show is on at 11:30, The Tonight Show with Conan as host is no more. He's giving them an ultimatum.
ATF487 said:
Yes, but he isn't quitting

He's saying, "I'm not going to let you move my timeslot, so either get rid of Leno's show or get rid of me."
Thank you, thank you and thank you. This is what I needed to know. This is what I understand...
Kano On The Phone said:
How can you type a correct statement and still not understand it?
Err... nevermind.

Okay, I watched Letterman.

That was hilarious. He's totally loving watching NBC go down while his show has total immunity. He's a happy son of a bitch right now.

SUPREME1

Banned
The thing with Jay (and I don't hate him like the rest of GAF apparently does) moving to 10:00, was that NBC assumed the people who didn't watch him at 11:30, would magically tune in at 10:00.

They thought people weren't tuning in at 11:30 because it was too late for those folks. Which is true, but airing at 10:00 didn't make it any better.

A ton of people go to sleep at 10:30 or 11:00, because that's what their schedule calls for. Those same people more likely then not, tune in to the news to catch up on the day's events, simply because it's their only chance to catch up.

Did they think people would automatically give up their news, for some vanilla comedy? Simply because it was now available to them at a sooner time?

*sigh*

Sucks for Conan. Jay had his run, Conan should have been given his rightful chance.

tokkun

GoutPatrol said:
Conan showing he is the bigger man here.

No he isn't. He didn't take any responsibility for his show's poor ratings and blamed it all on the lead-in. That is basically like saying "my show isn't good enough to get people to change the channel, but it's not so bad that people would change the channel if they were already watching". That is the opposite of being the bigger man.

Thomper

Apparently... sources are claiming that NBC is looking for guest hosts for the Tonight Show. Still very much unconfirmed, and NBC isn't willing to comment on it. That'll be interesting, though. Would probably mean Conan is gone sooner than we're expecting right now. Let's see what he does with his last few shows.

Thomper

Letterman's monologue for tonight has been leaked:
“Things are getting interesting in late night television. You know what’s going on, ladies and gentlemen? Chaos and craziness and mayhem – a couple of minutes ago, Conan O’Brien, who was the host of ‘The Tonight Show’ over there at NBC, announced that he would not follow Jay Leno at 12:05. Yeah, so you know what this means – that’s right, I knocked off another competitor.”

“Conan said he made the decision not to follow Leno at 12:05 after he talked to Johnny Carson.

“But listen to this: if Conan does leave ‘The Tonight Show,’ President Obama then has to appoint a replacement.”

“And then I got a call just before I came out here from NBC, and they said, ‘Look, look, we still don’t want you back.’”

And now, so Jay Leno apparently is moving back to 11:30, and this has been hard on my mom. It’s been tough on my mom because for the last six months she’s been forced to watch me.”

“And now, according to the NY Times, Al Qaeda is claiming responsibility for the wreckage at NBC.”

“Simon Cowell is leaving ‘American Idol,’ but don’t worry – we’ve checked and Jay’s fingerprints are nowhere on this one.”
http://www.thrfeed.com/2010/01/letterman-i-just-knocked-off-another-competitor.html

The problem is Jay's show.

-It kills the lead-in to the local news' ratings, so the affiliates hate him.

-The local news on NBC affiliates having lower ratings because of no lead-in kills Conan's ratings, because they no longer provide a good lead-in to Conan.

So clearly, the problem is Jay's show. That's where the ratings go south.

If the NBC executives could just admit that their experiment to save money on programming and put Leno in there has failed, dump Leno and tell him to go have fun in his garage, and get some good new programs to fill that last primetime slot before the news, they'd be able to see what Conan can really do. Right now, they have no clue, because Conan hasn't had a chance.

Instead, these jackass executives are going to screw the pooch again by basically putting Conan in an untenable position again, basically forcing him to walk, and killing the Tonight Show franchise. Conan and The Tonight Show franchise deserve better stewardship from NBC.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Can Conan do this? If it's in TTS contract that it can start as late as 12:05, if NBC wants to move it...can't they just move it?

KHarvey16

tokkun said:
No he isn't. He didn't take any responsibility for his show's poor ratings and blamed it all on the lead-in. That is basically like saying "my show isn't good enough to get people to change the channel, but it's not so bad that people would change the channel if they were already watching". That is the opposite of being the bigger man.

But he's completely right. They aren't giving him any chance at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom