• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game developer poll finds interest in iPhone increasing, Wii decreasing

Tiktaalik

Developers Flee Wii, Embrace iPhone, Study Says

A survey of 800 videogame developers showed that support for iPhone games is growing, while dedication to the Wii is dropping off.

The Game Developer magazine study released Friday showed major growth in the mobile space, due partly to Apple’s iPhone. 25 percent of all game developers said they were creating content for mobile phones — that’s nearly double last year’s number. Nearly 75 percent of mobile devs supported iPhone, doubling the numbers who stood up to be counted as developers for the Nintendo DS and PSP.

Meanwhile, developer support for the Wii dropped. Only 30 percent of console developers claimed to be working on Wii games. Last year as many as 42 percent had Wii product in the works.

Read More http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/02/state-of-game-development/#ixzz0ehV0QwzF

On the same topic, one of the major iPhone developers, Gameloft has posted promising results:

Gameloft's iPhone Sales Exceed Expectations; Top $24 Million In 2009
French game developer Gameloft, listed on Euronext Paris, this afternoon shared its 2009 financial results with the world. The video game publisher achieved consolidated sales of €122.0 million – roughly $170 million – for 2009, up 11% compared to 2008.

The company also specified ‘iPhone revenue’, which presumably means its income from distribution of its games on both the iPhone and iPod Touch: in 2009, that number jumped 231% YOY to reach €17.6 million (approximately $25 million).

Full-year revenues from the mobile game segment grew by 12%, self-reportedly due to the success of the games the company distributes through Apple’s App Store. To demonstrate its growing importance for the company, you need only look at revenue figures for the fourth quarter of 2009: iPhone revenues for the company reached €7 million ($9.75 million), while initial expectations were €4.4 million.

Total Q4 2009 sales reached €31.8 million ($44.5 million), which means revenues from the App Store are currently about 22% of the company’s total revenue.

Last week, Gameloft CEO Michel Guillemot was quoted as saying that he regards the iPad as massive new opportunity for game developers, and to ’stay tuned’ for upcoming announcements on iPad-specific video games.

Clearly there's a lot of money to be made on the iPhone/iPod and now iPad platform and developers are noticing.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Initially I didn't think the iPhone could function as a gaming platform, but I was proven wrong. There are actually quite a few genuinely fun and clever games. I'm sure the iPad will be the same way, but I doubt the iPad will see a fraction of the sales the iPhone did, so we're likely to see very few iPad-only games that take full advantage of the hardware.

Vinci

Danish
Well, you know... they have a Vision and... art... need more processing... and HD graphics...

Huh.

Dacvak said:
Initially I didn't think the iPhone could function as a gaming platform, but I was proven wrong. There are actually quite a few genuinely fun and clever games. I'm sure the iPad will be the same way, but I doubt the iPad will see a fraction of the sales the iPhone did, so we're likely to see very few iPad-only games that take full advantage of the hardware.

The iPad is going to end life as we know it, it's going to sell so well.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Vinci said:
Well, you know... they have a Vision and... art... need more processing... and HD graphics...

Huh.
Came in to post the same joke :p

gerg

Jocchan said:
Came in to post the same joke :p

I'm not sure I understand the distaste towards developers just wanting to make games on the platforms on which they want to develop.

I think that might be because I see shunning Wii development as entirely reasonable.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
gerg said:
I'm not sure I understand the apathy towards developers just wanting to make games on the platforms on which they want to develop.

I think that might be because I see shunning Wii development as entirely reasonable.
It is entirely reasonable, even though barring a few exceptions developers can rarely decide where to develop for (but that's besides the point).
It was just a joke about some comments here on GAF.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Aint gonna take iphone/pod/pad seriously as a fully fledge games machine until they add some buttons and a d-dap/analogue stick to it.

apart from a few games I didn't find much to really play on it, hated to rotate and tilt the screen to play and the virtual joystick left me no tactile feed back.

The structure is there for a world beating handheld: the app store, the storage on the system, lots of takers to the platform, low cost development cost/ as well as the touch screen etc
just please apple for the love of Xenu!! add some old fashioned control interfaces please!!

and i will pick one up again

-PXG-

The costs compared to the results are potentially much greater on the iPhone than it is on other platforms. In other words, the cost of making a game for the iPhone, and what you get in return, is much more appealing than it is, say, on the DS or PSP for instance. Cheaper, safer, easier. Why waste and risk time, money and people on a more expensive project, when you have much better chances at success on another platform?

It's probably easier/cheaper to program and distribute on the iPhone. Plus now that Apple can attach an 'i' to anything and it'll sell, the userbase can only grow.

Jin34

-PXG- said:
The costs compared to the results are potentially much greater on the iPhone than it is on other platforms. In other words, the cost of making a game for the iPhone, and what you get in return, is much more appealing than it is, say, on the DS or PSP for instance. Cheaper, safer, easier. Why waste and risk time, money and people on a more expensive project, when you have much better chances at success on another platform?

You mean it's like Wii vs PS360? Oh wait.

D.Lo

Well they gave the Wii their best shot: well resourced, well advertised games by A teams. But their sales were more like they only released unadvertised C-team spinoffs, PS2 ports and shovelware. So no wonder they're dropping the platform that failed their best efforts.

Ferrio

Banned
The amount of horrible crap on the iphone is astounding. The trouble with the platform is other than a very narrow select games, most just sink to the bottom and never get any exposure. It's a pretty cut throat platform. Unless you're already established on it, I bet it's hard to make a break.

Also the iphone is the king of copycat genres. Soon as someone makes a game type and it becomes popular, tons of copies start popping up.

Safe Bet

Banned
-PXG- said:
Why waste and risk time, money and people on a more expensive project, when you have much better chances at success on another platform?
You forgot to factor art and passion into your equation.

The people who make games are not unskilled labor.

Unless I'm mistaken, most of them have more than one choice where to work.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Industry dynamic once again entirely reflecting people's wants! Let us marvel for a moment.

21949l5.jpg

good luck with that lucrative iPhone market! Make sure you stand out.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I'm a huge fan of the iPhone but will never ever put it on a par with full on games consoles. I will never spend £20 on an iPhone game.

Appstore's closest equivalent is flash and facebook and they're probably level footing right about now. Both have some awesome games, I love word challenge and geodefense is the best tower defense game ever! But the platforms do not hold up for anything beyond time waste games.

Some people will argue otherwise that they play more iPhone games now and so on, but if those very same games were on the DS they wouldn't even buy them.

But the iPhone is a potential goldmine after all, and easier to tap into than the nintendo audience. It's the most casual games market of all so it's good for developers. For us gamers, not so much. I don't give a damn about generic sequel or cut down touch versions.

fullblown Ipad games? Maybe...but only certain genres with a heavy focus on story or graphics like monkey island or flower

Opiate

I expect increases in support for iPhone, ps3, Xbox 360, android, and PC (specifically browser games), and a decrease in support for DS, Wii, and PSP.

Opiate said:
I expect increases in support for iPhone, ps3, Xbox 360, android, and PC (specifically browser games), and a decrease in support for DS, Wii, and PSP.
Yeah. I compiled this survey, and this is pretty much exactly what it reflects.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Opiate said:

I'd like your take on this, as I respect you and your opinions very much: how come developers would shun 2 platforms that are all about novel controls, de-emphasis on graphics/immersion and fairly reasonable development costs (or, in the case of the DS, very low costs), and are both extremely successful dedicated platforms designed to reach out to new audiences, only to support another successful platform (the iPhone) which more or less shares the same values (low costs, novel accessible controls, etc.)?

By the way, I expect the same outcome. Just trying to make sense out of it.

Tiktaalik

D.Lo said:
Well they gave the Wii their best shot: well resourced, well advertised games by A teams. But their sales were more like they only released unadvertised C-team spinoffs, PS2 ports and shovelware. So no wonder they're dropping the platform that failed their best efforts.

Looks to me like demands for the Wii platform are too high. I doubt many would describe Gameloft as an A list studio, yet their games on the iPhone look great, play well and sell well. With that in mind it's obvious why developers are going to the platform with the better development environment.

farnham

Banned
Tiktaalik said:
Looks to me like demands for the Wii platform are too high. I doubt many would describe Gameloft as an A list studio, yet their games on the iPhone look great, play well and sell well. With that in mind it's obvious why developers are going to the platform with the better development environment.
game loft is an mobile only developer... i think the prince of persia XBLA thing is the only instance where they worked on homeconsoles

DiscoJer

kaizoku said:
I'm a huge fan of the iPhone but will never ever put it on a par with full on games consoles. I will never spend £20 on an iPhone game.

Appstore's closest equivalent is flash and facebook and they're probably level footing right about now.

Well, that's the thing though. While the bulk of the games are like that, some of the bigger companies that used to publish mostly on the DS and PSP are taking their PSP and DS games and putting them on the iPhone for $9.99 or less.

The most recent notable example is Take Two with GTA:Chinatown and Beaterator. But it's been going on a while, with games like Civ Revolution and even, I guess Puzzlequest (which launched on the PSP/DS as full priced titles, but now are $6-10 on every other platform). (Square's apparently also going to do this with the PSP Final Fantasies, I&II)

And on the flipside, the DS/PSP are getting the facebook/flash type games via DSiWare/Minis, but generally at 2-4x the price. (Worst case is EA's Scrabble, $19.99 on the PSP as a full title, but it's the same as the iPhone version as near as I can tell)

Anyway, I guess my point is, eventually this sort of stuff is going to alienate DS/PSP gamers. So any gains in the iPhone market might cause declines in the DS/PSP market (at least for third parties, Nintendo doesn't have anything to worry about).

Kifimbo

Kilrogg said:
I'd like your take on this, as I respect you and your opinions very much: how come developers would shun 2 platforms that are all about novel controls, de-emphasis on graphics/immersion and fairly reasonable development costs (or, in the case of the DS, very low costs), and are both extremely successful dedicated platforms designed to reach out to new audiences, only to support another successful platform (the iPhone) which more or less shares the same values (low costs, novel accessible controls, etc.)?

They can't compete with Nintendo and their games. Don't have that problem with Apple.

ZAK

Oh, just in terms of what people are working on? I suspect a large segment of people who have made Wii games never had any interest in it in the first place...

gerg

@ Kilrogg:

I think that part of the problem is that the opportunity costs are too great on the DS and the Wii are too great (especially on the Wii). Sure, it is cheap to develop for these consoles, but profits aren't great enough (and costs aren't low enough) to prefer development on the Wii over development on HD twins, where, although game development is more expensive, the return is suitably greater.

I imagine that the situation with the iPhone and the browser market is that costs are low enough that settling for less is worthwhile. The Wii (and the DS) seem to be stuck in an unfortunate middle ground.

Bugbite

Banned
Tiktaalik said:

This should be seen as a threat to DS and PSP as gaming platforms, but in no way should this have ever been seen a threat to Wii. The survey is bunk: the only reason developers would leave the fastest-selling console ever is because they wanted to, not because the market wills it. It's impossible to suggest that the market is actively willing the Wii to death at the same time that it's buying more Wiis than any other system to have ever existed.

Top Bottom