• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shoot the Core! - Gaf Shoot ‘em Up (aka Shooter/SHMUP) Reference Thread

iOS 10 question: Can anyone with CAVE games on their iPad/iPhone who has updated tell me if they are still working fine? Just want to be sure as they are practically all I play on the iPad, don't want to lose them due to a 'no longer supported' message or something...

gunstarhero

iOS 10 question: Can anyone with CAVE games on their iPad/iPhone who has updated tell me if they are still working fine? Just want to be sure as they are practically all I play on the iPad, don't want to lose them due to a 'no longer supported' message or something...

I have Bug Princess and DDP Res and both work a-ok

AmyS

Phalanx featured in EGM's International Outlook:

57Lv8ki.jpg

fUhKete.jpg

Compare the differences ^ in the background layers / parallax scrolling of Stage 4 in the different versions.

X68000: https://youtu.be/G4w3YydZXbI?t=14m48s

SNES: https://youtu.be/uqvyzdDHpCs?t=22m5s

GBA: https://youtu.be/nF4bpl-hQh8?t=21m50s

Wii(Ware): https://youtu.be/k00ok4qSjes?t=15m20s

Note: 'Tiny Phalanx' found in Zero Divide on PS1 has only 3 stages, so it's kinda N/A.
but you can see 60fps gameplay here: https://youtu.be/BOcc9oPkAZM?t=16m15s

shaowebb

While I was on vacation I could have sworn I saw a thread around here saying cave would be announcing the next title coming to steam this week. Now I can't find the thread ANYWHERE.

Is this a thing or was someone just necrobumping an old announce thread or something?

I searched around and am kind of surprised. Is there no general arcade games thread? There is the 1CC Lists, occasional MAME news, and an Arcades thread (pictures of places but no real games talk.) The 1CC Marathon reinvigorated my arcade heart.

Any interest in a general arcade appreciation/discussion thread? You'll always have my heart shmupsGaf, but sometimes I just gotta talk about my weird obsession with Land Maker.

i've been playing Dariusburst chronicles savior on steam.

this is hard!!!

I haven't played it nearly as much as I'd like, but what I have has been goood!

STG!

I searched around and am kind of surprised. Is there no general arcade games thread? There is the 1CC Lists, occasional MAME news, and an Arcades thread (pictures of places but no real games talk.) The 1CC Marathon reinvigorated my arcade heart.

Any interest in a general arcade appreciation/discussion thread? You'll always have my heart shmupsGaf, but sometimes I just gotta talk about my weird obsession with Land Maker.

Are you talking about this this thread? Maybe ponpo would edit the title to include general discussion regarding the games themselves, as you're right, I don't think there's an OT thread here to have a more detailed discussion regarding strats or tactics, or even just general/casual arcade game talk.

If you haven't done so already, a lot of the guys that participated in the 1CC Marathon regularly stream arcade games so you might want to follow their individual channels! Typically chat is centered around that kind of game discussion (
I mainly stream shmups myself and typically we end up talking about other games that I'm not playing, which is usually shmups lol
). Plus you get lot's of talk about gear or setup configurations, and everyone is pretty cool in sharing info from my experience.

Are you talking about this this thread? Maybe ponpo would edit the title to include general discussion regarding the games themselves, as you're right, I don't think there's an OT thread here to have a more detailed discussion regarding strats or tactics, or even just general/casual arcade game talk.

If you haven't done so already, a lot of the guys that participated in the 1CC Marathon regularly stream arcade games so you might want to follow their individual channels! Typically chat is centered around that kind of game discussion (
I mainly stream shmups myself and typically we end up talking about other games that I'm not playing, which is usually shmups lol
). Plus you get lot's of talk about gear or setup configurations, and everyone is pretty cool in sharing info from my experience.

Yep, that is the one. It felt odd to raid that thread as it looks focused on the current arcade scene, particularly in Japan. Which is interesting in its own right and I'd hate to dilute it with long winded discussion on the best iteration of SFII.

My interest is in the "golden era" of arcade gaming throughout the 80's and 90's (and 70's / 00's, I know, I know)

And yeah, discussion on setup and config would be really helpful to many. I know a lot of folks who are intimidated by MAME, for example. Soon as you bring modifying an XML file or a CLI into the mix some people just shut down. Let alone real hardware like PCB/CRT setup and maintenance.

STG!

Cool, then maybe you should start a thread like that then! :) I'd certainly participate!

For setups and configs, yeah, I agree that it can be intimidating at first! There's definitely some (excellent) specialized sites out there that you can search for info on and learn a thing or two, but a catch-all thread here on GAF I'm sure would be helpful to many like the Upscalers, CRT's, RGB/Retro AV Club thread.

Yep, that is the one. It felt odd to raid that thread as it looks focused on the current arcade scene, particularly in Japan. Which is interesting in its own right and I'd hate to dilute it with long winded discussion on the best iteration of SFII.

My interest is in the "golden era" of arcade gaming throughout the 80's and 90's (and 70's / 00's, I know, I know)

And yeah, discussion on setup and config would be really helpful to many. I know a lot of folks who are intimidated by MAME, for example. Soon as you bring modifying an XML file or a CLI into the mix some people just shut down. Let alone real hardware like PCB/CRT setup and maintenance.

I really don't think it needs to be another thread. Arcades in the US are predominately older games anyway outside of Dave & Buster's and Round1. And it certainly doesn't look like you would be derailing anything since the dead has been dead for months.

And for the record, thread OPs don't actually have any control of the thread title after the thread is created. Only mods can change thread titles.

I really don't think it needs to be another thread. Arcades in the US are predominately older games anyway outside of Dave & Buster's and Round1. And it certainly doesn't look like you would be derailing anything since the dead has been dead for months.

And for the record, thread OPs don't actually have any control of the thread title after the thread is created. Only mods can change thread titles.

But I started working on a big dumb logo and everything! (I'm not exactly in love with it yet)

It is mainly the OP that makes it feel invasive to me. It seems pretty clear on wanting to focus on current, non-retro, physical cab releases and locations. It isn't exactly the sort of thing that inspires the sort of discussion outlined above. I suppose I'll just PM ponpo and see how they feel.

I think Round1s in the USA are getting pretty competent with regards to having new releases, so the non-retro arcade discussion isn't Japan only anymore. Maybe the thread could also be useful if people are traveling somewhere and want to know if an arcade or "barcade" or whatever is good?

preta

Yes, that's what's happening, and yes, it was known. That's not all, though - Sega apparently acquired all of Technosoft's IPs. It's possible we may see other games come to 3DS, like TFIV, Elemental Master, or Herzog Zwei.

srin-1103_garegga_rgbxbq1n.jpg

Battle Garegga - Complete Soundtrack

2 discs, 46 tracks:

- Arcade Original (16)
- Saturn Arranged (15)
- 2016 Remixes Version (15)

· Original Arcade Composer
Manabu Namiki

· Saturn Arranger
Manabu Namiki, Hayato Matsuo, Ayako Saso, Hitoshi Sakimoto, Takayuki Aihara, Shinji Hosoe, Kenichi Koyano

· Remixer
Shinji Hosoe [SuperSweep], Ayako Saso [SuperSweep], BUBBLE-B, HIROSHI WATANABE, Yamajet, DJ SHARPNEL [SHARPNELSOUND], JAKAZiD, Takahiro Eguchi [SuperSweep], quad [luvtrax] , m1dy

Due for release on 30th Dec.

@MUWANdo

Banned
While I was on vacation I could have sworn I saw a thread around here saying cave would be announcing the next title coming to steam this week. Now I can't find the thread ANYWHERE.

Is this a thing or was someone just necrobumping an old announce thread or something?

You were mistaken--we don't know when or even if Cave will announce another PC port. DDP Resurrection (DFK) is coming next week, perhaps that's what you're thinking of.

srin-1103_garegga_rgbxbq1n.jpg

2 discs, 46 tracks:

- Arcade Original (16)
- Saturn Arranged (15)

· Original Arcade Composer
Manabu Namiki

· Saturn Arranger
Manabu Namiki, Hayato Matsuo, Ayako Saso, Hitoshi Sakimoto, Takayuki Aihara, Shinji Hosoe, Kenichi Koyano

· Remixer
Shinji Hosoe [SuperSweep], Ayako Saso [SuperSweep], BUBBLE-B, HIROSHI WATANABE, Yamajet, DJ SHARPNEL [SHARPNELSOUND], JAKAZiD, Takahiro Eguchi [SuperSweep], quad [luvtrax] , m1dy

Due for release on 30th Dec.

Battle Garegga has one of the best OSTS of any video game. Every track is perfect.

The Saturn arranged soundtrack is good but lacks the intensity and rawness of the arcade original.

Is it true that they're doing a second arranged soundtrack for the PS4 version?

yyr

Unless the "2016 Remixes" are exclusive to this soundtrack album, it sure looks like it. Why else would they be there? =)

Tizoc

Recommend me some good shoot em ups on ios
There is the rayforce games but what other games are worth getting

SOME-MIST

Battle Garegga has one of the best OSTS of any video game. Every track is perfect.

The Saturn arranged soundtrack is good but lacks the intensity and rawness of the arcade original.

I actually prefer the saturn arranged version to the original soundtrack, especially degenceracy and marginal consciousness. I'd even go as far to say that if I could, I'd get new eproms for my board if I could replace the original soundtrack with the arrange.

But I started working on a big dumb logo and everything! (I'm not exactly in love with it yet)

It is mainly the OP that makes it feel invasive to me. It seems pretty clear on wanting to focus on current, non-retro, physical cab releases and locations. It isn't exactly the sort of thing that inspires the sort of discussion outlined above. I suppose I'll just PM ponpo and see how they feel.

I'm not really seeing why anyone would object to both being discussed at once. Arcade games are arcade games. I don't think it's such a large and popular hobby that we need to be splintering discussion of it; at this point, it would just make the threads so small to the point that no one otherwise interested would even know they exist.

2 discs, 46 tracks:

- Arcade Original (16)
- Saturn Arranged (15)

Unless the "2016 Remixes" are exclusive to this soundtrack album, it sure looks like it. Why else would they be there? =)

M2 clarified the difference with this version and the one in Battle Garegga Premium Package.
Essentially i think the standalone CD only has a portion of the 2016 Remixes.

i3F1Kca.jpg

CAVE got ya covered:

- Bug Princess 1, 2 and Black Label (Mushihimesama)
- Deathsmiles
- Dodonpachi Maximum
- Dodonpachi Resurrection HD
- Espgaluda 2 HD

How many of these titles work on iOS 10? I remember Deathsmiles and a few others were basically unplayable for months, and it seems it has been a long time since the last compatibility patches once again.

I really, really wish some Deathsmiles iOS content would have made it to the PC port, because I don't think the iOS version itself is going to remain playable in the long term.

How many of these titles work on iOS 10? I remember Deathsmiles and a few others were basically unplayable for months, and it seems it has been a long time since the last compatibility patches once again.

Funnily enough, I only just updated my iPad earlier today. Quickly booted all games listed above, no problems here.

Yes, that's what's happening, and yes, it was known. That's not all, though - Sega apparently acquired all of Technosoft's IPs. It's possible we may see other games come to 3DS, like TFIV, Elemental Master, or Herzog Zwei.

I did know about the Technosoft IP acquisitions. Nice to see Sega move on it so quickly.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

I really, really wish some Deathsmiles iOS content would have made it to the PC port, because I don't think the iOS version itself is going to remain playable in the long term.

They all seem to work fine on my Mini 2 and 5s but I've just quicky skimmed through a stage for a few and booted some others...

@MUWANdo

Banned
M2 clarified the difference with this version and the one in Battle Garegga Premium Package.
Essentially i think the standalone CD only has a portion of the 2016 Remixes.

The CD that comes with the Premium Edition is the "Rev.2016" OST--that is, it's Manabu Namiki's new virtual remaster of the original arcade music that features true stereo, higher quality PCM, etc.

The "Remix 2016 Version" tracks on the SuperSweep OST are all-new mixes created by the aforementioned artists.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Hmm I prefer to get them on Steam far as Cave goes.

Well they're not the same game modes
Any 'traditional' or classic shmups recommendations?

Raiden Legacy on iOS is pretty great and not like the Steam version trainwreck.
iCade support, dunno about mfi tho. Works fine with touch but you need to finetune it in the settings.
Edit: please read my updated impression on the next page (50posts FTW), unplayable on my 5s on iOS10, gamelogic's speed is completely fucked up and makes it impossibly hard to play, also stutters like crazy which is a shmup worst enemy. Stay away.

Hey, I bought Crimzon Clover a while ago and really enjoy it. I feel like I'm playing it wrong, though, using infinite continues. Lately I just let it go to the game over screen.

Sooo what are the best Shmups on Steam and do you have any tips for a beginner so I can enjoy this genre even more?

microfolk

Hey, I bought Crimzon Clover a while ago and really enjoy it. I feel like I'm playing it wrong, though, using infinite continues. Lately I just let it go to the game over screen.

Sooo what are the best Shmups on Steam and do you have any tips for a beginner so I can enjoy this genre even more?

Eschatos is one of the most fun and wonder-filled game I've ever played, and it's also a great title for a beginner I think.
The only tip I could give is to have fun! STGs are an hard and repetitive genre, but if you learn to have fun while learning how to approach a game they can offer some of the most intense and satisfying experience you can find in the medium.

Tain

You're doing it right by not using continues. It can be harsh but it's the most tangible and thus satisfying way to progress. Grab Deathsmiles and/or Mushihimesama. Eschatos is a good one too, as said.

SOME-MIST

mecha ritz is a fantastic (and cheap) shmup which is both good for beginners and pros. most games posted will have a novice mode which is great for learning the games, and although mecha ritz doesn't have that, it has a fantastic rank system (with 500 difficult levels). not to mention a kick ass soundtrack, great aesthetic and 40+ fun bosses.

much like dangun feveron, it's a manic shooter which rewards you for clearing waves of enemies off of the screen at a fast pace. if you clear enemy waves quick enough, it will spawn additional waves which in turn will crank your rank. the higher your rank goes, the stronger your shot will get but the enemies will get harder, their bullets won't disappear, and it'll slowly shift into a bullet-hell style game.

for such a under-the-radar doujin game, the game received a buttload of praise over on the shmup forums. I also recommended it to a first timer and they were pumped when they got their first 1CC in a normal game mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZcK3IEsy2k

AmyS

I'm hoping Herzog Zwei and Thunder Force IV are the other two secret games for 3D Archives 3: Final Stage, and that it will also be released in the west, next spring, ala 3D Collection 2.

mecha ritz is a fantastic (and cheap) shmup which is both good for beginners and pros. most games posted will have a novice mode which is great for learning the games, and although mecha ritz doesn't have that, it has a fantastic rank system (with 500 difficult levels). not to mention a kick ass soundtrack, great aesthetic and 40+ fun bosses.

much like dangun feveron, it's a manic shooter which rewards you for clearing waves of enemies off of the screen at a fast pace. if you clear enemy waves quick enough, it will spawn additional waves which in turn will crank your rank. the higher your rank goes, the stronger your shot will get but the enemies will get harder, their bullets won't disappear, and it'll slowly shift into a bullet-hell style game.

for such a under-the-radar doujin game, the game received a buttload of praise over on the shmup forums. I also recommended it to a first timer and they were pumped when they got their first 1CC in a normal game mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZcK3IEsy2k

This looks and sounds really charming! I will continue playing Crimzon Clover and Ikaruga for now and once some hard earned money is in I'll buy one game. Haven't decided yet but this one is in my top 3 after Dodonpachi Resurrection (which looks cool to me) and Mushihimesama.

Eschatos is one of the most fun and wonder-filled game I've ever played, and it's also a great title for a beginner I think.
The only tip I could give is to have fun! STGs are an hard and repetitive genre, but if you learn to have fun while learning how to approach a game they can offer some of the most intense and satisfying experience you can find in the medium.
I have get warm feeling playing these frantic games so I definitely would like to get better at actually playing them. :D

Tizoc

Well they're not the same game modes

Any 'traditional' or classic shmups recommendations?

Raiden Legacy on iOS is pretty great and not like the Steam version trainwreck.
iCade support, dunno about mfi tho. Works fine with touch but you need to finetune it in the settings.[/QUOTE]

What about their ports of R-Type 1 and 2?

Top Bottom