• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shoot the Core! - Gaf Shoot ‘em Up (aka Shooter/SHMUP) Reference Thread

SOME-MIST

It will probably rehash the same info. That is fine by me. Not everyone is going to want to watch an hour video, and you can't search video content. It's good to spread it around in different ways.

Speaking of, STGWeekly really deserves a lot more love around here. If anyone hasn't checked them out then do so. Approaching episode #100.

https://www.youtube.com/user/STGWeekly/

they just covered thunder dragon 2 which is a pcb I've been looking for ever since I sunk a bunch of time into it earlier this year. love it. brutal and high quality action.

"hey buddy, you are the piece of cake"

SOME-MIST

guides watching superplays with some of the current competitive players in the scene. they're extremely in depth so they tend to clock over an hour.

when I was first going for my 1-all, the progear one helped a bunch.

STGWEEKLY does reviews or guides?

Somewhere between guides and video podcasts of a sort. A group of regular hosts, and rotating seats, that watch and comment on replays. A different game each episode. They often try to get the person who did the run if possible to be on, otherwise there is always at least one person who is very knowledgeable about the game on so lots of good info.

AmyS

Electronic Gaming Monthly, GamePro and Diehard GameFan on Neo Geo's Last Resort.

up2oryf.jpg

And VG&CE's strategy guide: Mastering R-Type

Nice scans!

Interesting to note that they played the promo version that I think I remenber an article or YT video on recently - one of the things was that people falling out of the ships was not originally in the 1st stage.

And VG&CE's strategy guide: Mastering R-Type

these pics are from SMS. i play it all the time on the master system.

sega's biggest flaw was the translation of the red weapon (air to air). they screwed it up.
on stage 4, Red is the key weapon to cut through the dot webbing. except on the master system it does not. (red is pretty useless on the master system version)

second design flaw: r-type has small bit protectors when using Red double in duty to fire lasers identical in power to first stage of red POW: squiggle lasers that fire simultaneously. they should cut through basic enemies like gradius lasers.

sega master system they do not: the bits do fire but power like normal single shots which don't cut through enemies. making the sacrifice of area coverage for the benefit of additional straight on pure power nullified. this added with the lack of cutting power on stage 4 makes Red undesirable ... blue is actually more powerful in the game (making the power up system unbalanced)

other than the red POW not accurately programmed, the rest of the game is pretty damn good. Sega really knocked it out of the park with this one.

Came here just to say I miss Treasure so much :(

Radiant Silvergun
Ikaruga
Sin&Punishment 2 (probably not classified as pure shooter but rather as action/shooter)

are among my most beloved GAMES (not shumps, games) evah!

AmyS

Those screens in EGM of Last Resort were the first I ever saw. I remember thinking it looked a lot like R-Type but with better graphics!

The wiring on my X360 stick is starting to fail, so no Bullet Soul for me.

Question to the stick-players in this thread: What kind of gate do you use? (Square, Circle, Octagon, ??)

Since having to move from an octagon (Hori EX SE) to a square (HRAP4), I've found that my play in Ketsui has suffered immensely. I think I'm going to need to get the thing modded.

Tain

Anybody play much of the original Zero Gunner in here? I'm wondering if the courses are supposed to have any difficulty order to them, and I'd like details on the specific choppers...

English-language resources seem to be slim to none, probably because the game is a) unported and b) not emulated well in MAME (tho it's in Nebula).

STG!

The wiring on my X360 stick is starting to fail, so no Bullet Soul for me.

Question to the stick-players in this thread: What kind of gate do you use? (Square, Circle, Octagon, ??)

Since having to move from an octagon (Hori EX SE) to a square (HRAP4), I've found that my play in Ketsui has suffered immensely. I think I'm going to need to get the thing modded.

Square, I use a stock Semitsu LS-32 in my arcade stick.

I've had the Japanese release on my 'eehh, maybe' list for quite a while. Talk to me about it, gaf.

Also, what is Infinite Burst? GOTY with all DLC sort of version, or something else?

Okay, here's my outlook on Bullet Soul from playing a while.

- This release already includes all the DLC from the original Japanese game. In all, you have the base game mode (plus stage select mode), Version B (plus stage select mode), and caravan mode (for score attacks).
- A fourth absurdly overpowered character is only playable in Version B.
- The game definitely errs on the side of easy.
- No elaborate mechanics. One criticism I remember reading (and have confirmed) is that the eponymous mechanic, "bullet souls" (bullets canceled after destroying enemies), doesn't really do anything other than give you score pickups.
- The game hands out "bonuses" like candy for basic tasks like killing enemy waves, destroying all boss parts and destroying background objects. Play stage 2 and watch as you rack up dozens of bonuses without trying.

Infinite Burst I think has all of the above plus another new mode that finally introduces a gauge mechanic.

As above, the price is right for a fun and relatively light game.

Momentary

Banned
DARIUSBURST new DLC

https://www.twitch.tv/otakumode/v/89752517

Starts around 03:11:30

CAVE: Deathsmiles, Ketsui, DFK

Raizing: Terra Diver, Battle Garegga, Sorcerer Striker

In the video you also see the touch screen keyboard 15 minute crash glitch that plagues a lot of people on windows 10 laptops. Looks like they never fixed that error that..

Momentary

Banned
Shame the classic shmups lost in that poll. Bullet hell ships tend to be rather bland.

I don't think that poll had anything to do with this DLC. These DLCs were already in development months ago. They first showed up on STEAMSPY as un-named parcels. The poll just recently took place.

BOTEC

I just turned on my Xbone in forever, and it looks like Triggerheart Exelica is also available via BC. That game was alright. I always reminded me of Raiden for some reason.

(Cross-posting myself from the PC shmups thread)

DoDonPachi Resurrection page is up on Steam, available 14th October.

Explore the complete DDPR experience with 8 different modes

1. Normal 1.5 - The original, refined game.
2. Normal 1.51 - A different scoring system and controls in this Cave Matsuri special version.
3. Arrange B - Play single stages in this highly customisable mode.
4. Arrange A (ver L) - A newly arranged mode with mechanics and a ship borrowed from DDP Blissful Death.
5. Novice - A crash course in bullet hell for newcomers!
6. Black Label - A new method of attack and a new final boss await!
7. Black Label Novice - Experience Black Label without the difficulty!
8. Black Label Arrange - Control the Tiger Schwert from KETSUI in the first international release for this mode!

KDR_11k

Do they spell out the mode descriptions in the game this time? The Deathsmiles PC version doesn't say anything about the differences between normal, arcade and v1.1 plus the MBL.

shaowebb

Still eager for the PC version of Trouble Witches to hit Steam this fall. I hear that the Steam version and the delisted Trouble Witches Neo that I own on 360 are two different games too so I'm pretty happy to be getting a different experience here even though it means folks still cant ever get the 360 title in any way.

We always need more Pumpkin Girl Shop

Momentary

Banned
This is going to be rough for the next few months for me in terms of playing the waiting game. DBCS DLC 3 and 4, DDPR, Blue Revolver, Danmaku Unlimited 3 and hopefully Caladrius Blaze on PC this year. Also with the talk of Bullet Soul Infinite Burst coming to the west, I'm hoping to also see a STEAM release.

I'm more hyped about Danmaku Unlimited 3 than anything else. It's a humungous step forward from the already fun Danmaku Unlimited 2. Also the soundtrack so far is untouchable by anything.

SOME-MIST

although the bosses were bland, I loved my time with akai katana. I still haven't given slash mode enough of a chance (which I've read is actually the best mode), but definitely nabbed a couple 1CCs in arcade mode before putting it down.

I feel like it's the closest thing to a progear sequel that we'll get outta cave

BumRush

Random question but I felt like you'd be the best community to ask:

I can't stand bullet hell (read: I suck at bullet hell) and my favorite Shmups are of the U.N. Squadron variety (easier with ship and weapon upgrades)...although I haven't played many. And must haves based on that?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I wish they'd release Dangun Feveron PS4 in the west soon. :(

Top Bottom