• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do people talk about pot so casually? I mean, it IS still illegal...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Costanza

Banned
Almost all of my childhood friends grew up and got into it. Nearly everyone I knew while I was in HS did, and pretty much everyone I'm meeting at college does. It's no big deal.. hell, I think the stuff should be legal. I just don't personally do it (ever).

Thing is, it kinda blows my mind that something that still carries a serious risk of getting arrested and doing jail time is SO widespread and casually discussed by just about everyone.

For example, today: the cute, geeky brunette talking loudly on the phone in the halls to her boyfriend about how she's gonna pick up blunts on the way home, or the guy who comes to class every day high telling us how he smoked with his speech professor between classes, while the dude who's going to school to be a cop just laughs. Or another professor talking about priorities actually writes "weed" on the board after someone yells it out, etc.

Then you have the TV shows like Weeds and the Kevin Smith/Apatow movies released by huge companies that pretty much glorify the stuff...

why is this? is the fact that it's still "illegal" considered that much of a fucking joke that nobody cares?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Costanza said:
is the fact that it's still "illegal" considered that much of a fucking joke that nobody cares?
Exactly.

Costanza

Banned
JodyAnthony said:
Sometimes I feel like the only person that's never done it.
That's what I mean. For something that can get you in jail if you get caught with it, it seriously seems like EVERY FUCKING PERSON I meet does it.

Tobor

yankeeforever2 said:
It is like the J walking of crimes.

It is like the cheddar of cheeses.

Costanza said:
That's what I mean. For something that can get you in jail if you get caught with it, it seriously seems like EVERY FUCKING PERSON I meet does it.

You're not going to jail for a blunt. Relax. Unless you're transporting bricks of it around, it's not a huge deal.

Everyone does it and only the tight asses care. I don't casually bring it up because I have better things to talk about, but I find social attitudes to weed are pretty lax...

Onemic

yankeeforever2 said:

Exactly

A large portion of society(At least adults 35 and under) have realized how ridiculous of a law it is that smoking weed is illegal. It's only a matter of time before it becomes legal in most states.(Isn't there a chance it might become legal in cali after a vote?)

I live in Canada as well where weed has been decriminalized so the most cops can do to you if you have less than 6gs on you is simply just take it and do nothing. I swear in most states in the US you just get a fine if you just have a personal amount on you anyway.

JCX

It's probably just because it's college. I've heard people talk casually about cocaine and ecstasy.

I am about to spark up a nice fat bowl myself here. :D

I live in Cali. It's no big thing at all. Even to the cops. I must say though. Just because you're in college doesn't mean that it isn't talked about or used outside of college either. I found out my district manager smoked on the way down to a chargers game in SD. :lol

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
It's funny, I feel like I should smoke pot, but shouldn't because of the general social stigma and the legality of it.

From everything I've heard/read about it, I'd probably love just chilling out with the stuff. Would have no freaking clue how to get it even if I did decide to, however :lol

yankeeforever2 said:

This sounds about right.

Also, people who smoke weed think it's really cool to talk about how much they like to smoke weed. It's a form of validation seeking. It lets people know that they are cool.

hokahey

Tobor said:
It is like the cheddar of cheeses.

You're not going to jail for a blunt. Relax. Unless you're transporting bricks of it around, it's not a huge deal.

Bullshit. I know multiple people that went to jail for at least the night for the equivalent amount of pot as would be in a blunt.

And people are casual about it because it's a joke that it's illegal.

The Experiment said:
This sounds about right.

Also, people who smoke weed think it's really cool to talk about how much they like to smoke weed. It's a form of validation seeking. It lets people know that they are cool.

yup, that's why I'm not cool

The Experiment said:
This sounds about right.

Like people who go to church or watch sports or cosplay, etc

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
It's only bad according to the law, a law that people have zero respect for, and for a plethora of valid reasons. I just smoked a bowl ten minutes ago, and I'm feeling about the same as I did the first time I smoked pot when the first thing I thought after taking a hit and leaning back in my sofa was ".....this is criminal?" It's just fucking stupid. And the government can go fuck themselves for pissing away billions of dollars on making me a criminal for this.

Drewsky

This reminds me of how much I despise the culture surrounding weed. "I got some good at home right now, dude, me and my boy smoked 4 blunts last night it was sick, took it straight to the head, etc."

I personally don't like the stuff, but whatever.

As illegal as a speeding ticket in most states and people talk about speeding all the time.

Edit: Well, when it can be construed as possibly causing injury to another person or property, which is often the case.

Onemic

RubxQub said:
It's funny, I feel like I should smoke pot, but shouldn't because of the general social stigma and the legality of it.

From everything I've heard/read about it, I'd probably love just chilling out with the stuff. Would have no freaking clue how to get it even if I did decide to, however :lol

Unless you're a middle aged man(36+) or older, I don't see how the social stigma for smoking weed is that negative at all, in fact you're seen as a more chill and respectable guy for doing so in most cases.(At least for me since I'm still in college:D )

Costanza said:
uhhh I dont think so

Pretty much man. Where do you live that possessing weed would get you a serious offense? Unless you live out in butfuck nowhere, getting caught for possessing weed just results in a small fine as long as its a personal amount(ie 1g) and sometimes nothing even depending on where you live.

Gilby

Count Dookkake said:
Like people who go to church or watch sports or cosplay, etc
Or those kids who play video games; they think they're so cool!

Costanza said:
uhhh I dont think so

Yeah, it's not nearly as bad. At least here in Canada, as previously mentioned.

Drewsky said:
This reminds me of how much I despise the culture surrounding weed. "I got some good at home right now, dude, me and my boy smoked 4 blunts last night it was sick, took it straight to the head, etc."

Yeah, the culture is lame. Still a respectable pastime, though.

nocode

People talking about weed on a college campus does not mean anything. I think it should be legal don't get me wrong, but people don't do that in the real world at their jobs (career jobs).

koam

Costanza said:
Almost all of my childhood friends grew up and got into it. Nearly everyone I knew while I was in HS did, and pretty much everyone I'm meeting at college does. It's no big deal.. hell, I think the stuff should be legal. I just don't personally do it (ever).

Thing is, it kinda blows my mind that something that still carries a serious risk of getting arrested and doing jail time is SO widespread and casually discussed by just about everyone.

For example, today: the cute, geeky brunette talking loudly on the phone in the halls to her boyfriend about how she's gonna pick up blunts on the way home, or the guy who comes to class every day high telling us how he smoked with his speech professor between classes, while the dude who's going to school to be a cop just laughs. Or another professor talking about priorities actually writes "weed" on the board after someone yells it out, etc.

Then you have the TV shows like Weeds and the Kevin Smith/Apatow movies released by huge companies that pretty much glorify the stuff...

why is this? is the fact that it's still "illegal" considered that much of a fucking joke that nobody cares?

</thread>

mr stroke

Costanza said:

I going to guess the chance of you getting jailed for smoking it(not selling or caring it) is pretty low.

Gilby

salva said:
I've never done it. I see no benefits to it

I'm not trying to convince you to do it, it's great that you don't want to, but to say there are no benefits is wrong.

Costanza

Banned
tokkun said:
I hear people talking about piracy all the time, and the penalties for that are often higher.
I was actually thinking about including this point in the OP, but forgot to. Definitely applies in the same way.

Onemic

salva said:
I've never done it. I see no benefits to it

Hmmm do you drink? because If the answer is a yes then I see so much wrong in this post.

At least more so than drinking, in that getting super high can't end with high fights and someone getting killed from weed poisoning:lol

Drewsky said:

That's not pot culture, that's just stoners talking about how they got high.

Drewsky

tokkun said:
I hear people talking about piracy all the time, and the penalties for that are often higher.
I think it is probably just the same story of so many people do it that it's almost a joke to even be afraid of talking about it anymore.

Max@GC

nocode said:
People talking about weed on a college campus does not mean anything. I think it should be legal don't get me wrong, but people don't do that in the real world at their jobs (career jobs).

Yup because here you´re better off with cocaine.

You should come to Cleveland, it's like your experiences amplified by about a million. I'm talking about mother fuckers just smoking and passing that shit around in public square like it's no big deal. I smell it every time I get on the bus, and every time I'm walking to my class.

I remember one time a friend of mine and his girlfriend came to class, both high as kites, with ridiculously blood shot eyes. The teacher asks them why their eyes were so red, and the girl panics and makes up this crazy ass story about how their dog sat on their faces in their sleep and gave them pink eye. Then the whole class got quiet, and they just started laughing hysterically for at least five full minutes. Easily my most awkward classroom experience ever.

tokkun said:

Costanza said:
I was actually thinking about including this point in the OP, but forgot to. Definitely applies in the same way.

Except for the fact that it does not apply in the same way at all.

Can I give you drugs through the computer?

NO.

Is this a forum run by and/or for members of the law enforcement or anti-drug community?

NO.

Wanace

I didn't smoke pot (aside from some shit stems/seeds) until I went to Cambodia over Christmas. There I smoked every day, and it was great. Still, I probably wouldn't do it where it was illegal as I'm just not that into it where I have to, and I don't want any trouble with the law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom