• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tough Star Wars Trivia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris R

Ok long story short, the local radio station I listen to tomorrow is doing a contest, where listeners try to stump one of the DJs with Star Wars trivia.

The purpose? To win two tickets to http://www.anchoragemuseum.org/galleries/starwars/index.aspx valued at $44.

I'm a cheap ass bastard and unemployed at the moment so I would love to win the pair of tickets by stumping the fool.

He is a pretty big nerd when it comes to all things Star Wars, and the questions have to be based from the MOVIES only. I've come up with a few questions like

- What was the original name of Stormtrooper TK-421, intended to pay homage to one of George Lucas' early films?
THX-1138

- What is the only film to feature a blue on blue lightsaber duel?
Episode III

- Of the four movies that Darth Vader is in, which is the only movie in which he doesn't Force Choke someone?
Episode VI

So give me some other hard questions so I have a nice list to pick from when I call in tomorrow morning trying to win some tickets!

Leunam

Yay, I got the third one right!

I thought I had one, but I think it's more expanded universe related since it isn't explained in the films.

zaxor0

Why does Han Solo brag about winning the kessel run in 12 parsecs when parsecs are a unit of distance and not time?

when traveling through hyperspace you have to maneuver around stars. Doing this is such a great cost of time and distance that a good pilot would have to successfully fly closer to a star without losing control. Thus a smaller distance is more reflective of good piloting, a ship with good maneuverability, and a ship's speed rather than time alone.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
zaxor0 said:
Why does Han Solo brag about winning the kessel run in 12 parsecs when parsecs are a unit of distance and not time?

when traveling through hyperspace you have to maneuver around stars. Doing this is such a great cost of time and distance that a good pilot would have to successfully fly closer to a star without losing control. Thus a smaller distance is more reflective of good piloting, a ship with good maneuverability, and a ship's speed rather than time alone.

NERD!!!!

rhfb said:
Ok long story short, the local radio station I listen to tomorrow is doing a contest, where listeners try to stump one of the DJs with Star Wars trivia.

The purpose? To win two tickets to http://www.anchoragemuseum.org/galleries/starwars/index.aspx valued at $44.

I'm a cheap ass bastard and unemployed at the moment so I would love to win the pair of tickets by stumping the fool.

He is a pretty big nerd when it comes to all things Star Wars, and the questions have to be based from the MOVIES only. I've come up with a few questions like

- What was the original name of Stormtrooper TK-421, intended to pay homage to one of George Lucas' early films?
THX-1138

- What is the only film to feature a blue on blue lightsaber duel?
Episode III

- Of the four movies that Darth Vader is in, which is the only movie in which he doesn't Force Choke someone?
Episode VI

So give me some other hard questions so I have a nice list to pick from when I call in tomorrow morning trying to win some tickets!

Those are pretty tame questions. How about, how many actors were redubbed with different voice actors throughout all six films? I'll have to think of what the answer is though =) I can think of at least
five

Bananakin

How about: The opening crawl of in RotJ differs from all the others in one way. What is it?

Three dots to end it instead of four.

Edit:
Whoops, got that one wrong. Turns out Episodes I and II also have three dots. Still would make a good question - which three movies end in three dots, and which end in four.

Chojin

What is the first thing Luke yells at Leia when he returns from blowing up the Deathstar to Yavin Base?
"Carrie!"

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
zaxor0 said:
I had a teacher in high school who claimed he could answer any star wars trivia question. So I asked him that question without actually knowing the answer.

I was joking, but it was an exceedingly nerdy answer to a common question.

I've got a good one, not too hard, but worth a try:

Name four of Luke Skywalker's friends from Tattooine.
Biggs, Cammie, Fixer, and Wendi

Its from the movie but its a cut scene.

Mudkips

Banned
zaxor0 said:

Or the real reason - Lucas done fucked up.

And the explanation is bullshit - why would you have to maneuver around object while in hyper space? Those objects don't exist in hyperspace. And we see them make the jump several times in the movies, and see no maneuvering. The concern with hyperspace, warp speed, etc. is always where you are when you come out.

If you want a real (fake) explanation, you'll have to go with the simple fact the Han is a smuggler. He's evading imperial ships, systems, outposts, etc. He has shipments to make. Optimizing the Kessel run for distance instead of for time can be anywhere from a pure traveling salesman problem to a sneaking problem.

But this doesn't help either - the speed and maneuverability of a ship has almost no bearing on how detectable it would be to fixed scanner installations, nor does it have any bearing on how much distance would be required to travel a planned route.

Lucas fucked up.

zaxor0 said:

Mind asplode.

Chojin said:
What is the first thing Luke yells at Leia when he returns from blowing up the Deathstar to Yavin Base?
"Carrie!"

Of all things in the special editions, I still don't know why they never fixed that

zaxor0 said:

i thought it was black holes?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Early in the scripting process, the Force was known as what?
Kyber crystal

Windu said:
Early in the scripting process, the Force was known as what?
Kyber crystal

What did the
Kyber crystal
become in the Clone Wars?
Holocron storage holding list of all jedi children candidates

Jackson50 said:
Were those the droids the stormtroopers were looking for?

windowslivewriterthosewerethedroidsiwaslookingfor-a2a9those-were-the-droids-i-was-looking-for-2.jpg

Chris R

zaxor0 said:

Not explained in the movie though really. I know my first question isn't fully explained in the movie, but later in Episode IV Luke says that the prisoner is a transfer from cell block 1138, and 1138 is found in every single movie in some form I think, so I think it would slide. He gave an example of a question that wouldn't work, since it is never explicitly answered in the movie.

- What does the TIE in TIE Fighter stand for?

Good trivia question though.

rhfb said:
Not explained in the movie though really. I know my first question isn't fully explained in the movie, but later in Episode IV Luke says that the prisoner is a transfer from cell block 1138, and 1138 is found in every single movie in some form I think, so I think it would slide. He gave an example of a question that wouldn't work, since it is never explicitly answered in the movie.

- What does the TIE in TIE Fighter stand for?

Good trivia question though.

Twin ion engine

Chris R

:lol I knew what TIE stood for and so did the dude who I'll be trying to stump. The question was an example of a question that won't count because the answer isn't in any of the movies even though it is pretty common knowledge.

Simple undisputable trivia could be like:

How many times was "I've got a bad feeling about this" or some form of it said throughout all six films?

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
In the Original Trilogy, Episodes IV-VI, pre-Special Edition, there are sixteen characters that appear in multiple films. Name them.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Are you sure he isn't going to cheat and look up the info on his computer? Could you ask "How long was the Star Wars Episode V soundtrack"

OneEightZero said:
In the Original Trilogy, Episodes IV-VI, pre-Special Edition, there are sixteen characters that appear in multiple films. Name them.

Unique characters? Like a stormtrooper doesn't count?

Chris R

Drkirby said:
Are you sure he isn't going to cheat and look up the info on his computer? Could you ask "How long was the Star Wars Episode V soundtrack"
Well seeing as it will be live on air, and there will be another DJ in the room with him watching to make sure he doesn't cheat, and the fact that he will have 5-10 seconds to answer, I'm pretty safe on that end I think.

BigAT

OneEightZero said:

Luke, Leia, Han, Chewbacca
Yoda, Obi-Wan, C3P0, R2D2
Wedge, Lando, Boba Fett, Vader
Palpatine

Who are the three I'm missing?

BigAT

I think
Admiral(?) Piett (the one that gets promoted several times in Empire Strikes Back)
as well.

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
How many fighters (both Rebel and Imperial) accompanied Lando's Millennium Falcon into the 2nd Death Star's superstructure in Return of the Jedi once the Death Star's shields went down? And what type of fighters were they?

Edit:
I'm trying to remember this myself. I think it's:
2 X-Wings (Wedge and the other guy who gets shot down)
1 Y-Wing(tries to draw away some of the TIE's through another route
1 A-Wing
2 TIE Interceptors(One guy crashes, other guy gets consumed by reactor flames on the way out

BigAT said:
I think
Admiral(?) Piett (the one that gets promoted several times in Empire Strikes Back)
as well.

Piett died in Empire
I thought later on though.
It was after they lost the Falcon and just showed him being killed but not referenced

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
BigAT said:
I think
as well.
Yeah...
Piett
is in Empire and Jedi. I was only able to come up with those 14 characters. That is, if we're not counting Stormtroopers.

Marty Chinn said:
Piett died in Empire
I thought later on though.
It was after they lost the Falcon and just showed him being killed but not referenced
No, he
died in Jedi. He was on the bridge of the Super Star Destroyer that the A-wing crashed into

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom